The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Running Cameras?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Running Cameras?
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:36 PM »
On the fence about investing into one and want to see what others are doing. I manly fish NEPA lakes but conditions allowing I stay more towards SEPA. My biggest fear is dropping the camera down and not being able to see anything due to murky water or lack of light. Mainly want to use this on weedy lakes to find holes in the weeds along with get a better understanding of structure location and fish behavior. Any help would be great.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Running Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Preaching to the choir.... I've been on the fence for months

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:58 PM »
I'm not in PA, but I think that a small camera is invaluable for scouting. I've learned a ton about structure and fish behavior using mine. I have the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro and would recommend it. I modded mine to have 64gb of memory; you can find the post on here.

As of right now, you can save 30% directly from Aqua Vu with code VIP2020

Here are some videos from mine:

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Depends on how murky. If visibility is only a foot, thats all your going to get with a camera. Even less at depth.
  The lights that most have are worthless from what I have seen. They light up all kinds of organisms in the water and it basically looks like a snow storm. Even worse at night.
   I love mine and hardly fish without it but most places I go are fairly clear and shallow.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline vitojigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:56 AM »
I have a aqua vu 715C, honestly in my opinion it works better then most reviews lead on. Pretty murky water 1-2' visibility, clear water 3-4'. Night time its useless. I mainly fish Lycoming and Tioga county. Its a very fun tool to use especially when the pan fishing is hot or a tough bite, you can see how the fish interacts with your jig and change presentations or jig motion.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:17 AM »
The AV Micros have a lanyard ...water clarity ...light penetration ...ice thickness and type of ice play a role in how much you will see . My suggestion is make sure what ever camera you buy as an on/off function for ALL  its lights ..a sun shield/cover and a multi position camera ..up 45 deg ..down 45 deg ...down and level . When scouting for structure or holes in weeds/vegetation point camera down 45 deg ...in the hole a foot or two quick spin ..you'll spot  structure ...weeds...fish ...as opposed to having it level where you would have to drop it almost all the down .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:23 AM »
Here's what it looked like in promised land. Works great. I didn't want to spend that much money on one either, so I bought one used.

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Here's my son and I using it at Tobyhanna. When the ice is snow covered, it blocks a lot of light, but you can still make the fish out on it...at least until it gets dark.

&t=648s

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Is that a 5?  Good video bro.   What depth are you fishing and us tobyhanna generally murky?

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Is that a 5?  Good video bro.   What depth are you fishing and us tobyhanna generally murky?

That's a 7. The water was really dark that day because of the snow cover. With that said, it was a little bit easier to see in person than in the recording. I was fishing around 7-8 ft and the camera was up above looking downward. It actually works better if the camera is at the same level becuase from the top down pickerel really blend in because their backs are the same color as the water. Used it at promised land last weekend, and the video was crystal clear...but I corrupted my sd card so most of that footage was lost.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Here's what it looked like in promised land. Works great. I didn't want to spend that much money on one either, so I bought one used.

That lakes a huge influence on why I’d get one. It’s miserable fishing with just electronics. Weeds block everything out.

Offline Miller2time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Just purchased a Aqua Vu 715 c. Hope it was worth the 💲. Haven’t had the chance to use it yet so can’t give a review

Offline fishon21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:26 PM »
Well worth the money. It's generally not like the cameras on fishing shows on tv. Caught many fish due to the camera.

Offline Miller2time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Good.  Thank you for the peace of mind I was looking for. 

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Here's a large mouth this weekend at Promised Land. It's pretty fun to see how the fish react to your lure. This guy was hungry!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.