The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bait shops in NE PA  (Read 3072 times)

Offline VD

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait shops in NE PA
« on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Anybody knows how bait shops are working now?

Usually, my first stop early morning before fishing was Pete's bait shop in Dickson City, but I read today sad news. He passed away in May 2020 and shop is closed permanently.

My next thought is Waymart deli, but they are not open on Sundays. I'm going to check Belmont lake tomorrow hoping there will be a good ice.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait shops in NE PA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Carols bait shop is open in leighieton just off 209 she has all types of shiners an fatheads spikes waxworms mousies hope this helps A/P  :tipup:

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:22 AM »
Klotzs bait shop is open. Not poconos, is in Hellertown. Have fatheads, medium shiners, waviest and mouses

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:22 AM »
Sorry waxies

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:35 AM »
Hunters gallery in hamlin. Also there is wallenpaupack sports by the papack dam. Yeah it was sad about pete. Im 50 yrs old and I was going there since I was 5. I use to bring him deer meat. Surprised his sons didn't keep it open.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2021, 01:42 PM »
Anybody knows how bait shops are working now?

Usually, my first stop early morning before fishing was Pete's bait shop in Dickson City, but I read today sad news. He passed away in May 2020 and shop is closed permanently.

My next thought is Waymart deli, but they are not open on Sundays. I'm going to check Belmont lake tomorrow hoping there will be a good ice.
JC's bait on Main Street  Gouldsboro, PA (Rte 507) next to St Ritas church. Everything for ice fishing...bait and tackle. FT   :tipup:

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:45 PM »
As Freytown already mentioned....JC's in gouldsboro. My go to bait shop.

Offline tomco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Brady's in Tunkhannock has live bait and minnows
hey now

Offline HooknSinker24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:27 PM »
West side bait in wyoming always is stocked up with live bait. Dallas sporting just off memorial highway Dallas. Lots of gear and lures. Right place with hundreds of jigs and spoons.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I feel your pain VD. I live in lower Bucks County and my go-to bait shop closed last year due to the owner's death. I think that place was open for 40+ years. There are very few options for bait by me so I've learned to improvise. If you don't live near a bait shop or the shop you use isn't open when you need bait, a pet store is a good alternative. Most will carry waxworms, mealworms, butter worms, crickets and garden worms. In fact, most pet stores will have a very good supply of creepy crawlies even when the bait shops are out. Many pet stores will also carry rosy red minnows. They're certainly not in the size range of a shiner but they will work in a pinch for perch, trout, crappies and as an added incentive on a spoon or jig for bigger fish. Lastly, pet store are usually open long after most bait stores are closed (8-9pm?) If you are buying bait from a pet store, just remember that goldfish are not legal to use as bait in PA.

Offline The Walri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:51 PM »
I feel your pain VD. I live in lower Bucks County and my go-to bait shop closed last year due to the owner's death. I think that place was open for 40+ years. There are very few options for bait by me so I've learned to improvise. If you don't live near a bait shop or the shop you use isn't open when you need bait, a pet store is a good alternative. Most will carry waxworms, mealworms, butter worms, crickets and garden worms. In fact, most pet stores will have a very good supply of creepy crawlies even when the bait shops are out. Many pet stores will also carry rosy red minnows. They're certainly not in the size range of a shiner but they will work in a pinch for perch, trout, crappies and as an added incentive on a spoon or jig for bigger fish. Lastly, pet store are usually open long after most bait stores are closed (8-9pm?) If you are buying bait from a pet store, just remember that goldfish are not legal to use as bait in PA.

I've often thought about trying the rosy red from the pet store when I'm there getting waxies...have you tried them through the ice? figured they would just keep over from thermal shock being dunked in near freezing water temps after being all nice and warm in the store.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:56 PM »
I've often thought about trying the rosy red from the pet store when I'm there getting waxies...have you tried them through the ice? figured they would just keep over from thermal shock being dunked in near freezing water temps after being all nice and warm in the store.

I have used rosies from a pet store when ice fishing and did catch fish with them. The hardest part was hooking them without killing them because they are so small. You just need to be careful and use very small hooks. Thermal shock is an issue for any baitfish - even shiners and fatheads. Bait shops tend to be much cooler than pet stores so the shock is a lesser issue with bait store minnows but there's a couple of really simple techniques you can use to adjust fish to different temperatures:

1. Let the baitfish sit outside for a few hours so the water in the bucket/bag can slowly adjust to the air temps.
2. Place the baitfish in a bag with the water provided by the pet store. Drop the bag in the lake water and let the lake water balance the temp of the water inside the bag.

The first method is better because it is slower.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:45 AM »
Klotzs bait shop is open. Not poconos, is in Hellertown. Have fatheads, medium shiners, waviest and mouses

I want the waviest mousies lol

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2021, 05:27 AM »
In true nepa pike and Wayne county you’ve got the pickeral inn, the barber shop bait shop in Greeley/shohola, pike county outfitters, wallenpaupack sports shop that I know of few others have fallen over the year unfortunately

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:42 PM »
In the columbia/luzerne county area:  Fish's Worms outside Orsngeville on 93 is selling minnows and waxies.   Just call first or call the number they have on the door when you get there.

Bait Buddies in the Sylvan Lake area.

Gumpys Creekside in Millville also usually carries waxies and minnows.
If you ain't havin fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2021, 05:31 PM »
My two favorite bait shops are JC's in Gouldsboro and the Hunter's Gallery in Hamlin.  Both have a very good selection of quality bait and gear and the people are super nice.  The owner of JC's is always willing to give anyone info and tips and is a class act in my book.

Offline Tim Hall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:30 AM »
R3 hardware in Honesdale (570)-253-4075 has a great selection and Long John's bait (570)-442-1040 in union dale PA. 

Offline VD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Thanks everyone. Here is compiled list of all bait shops from post:

West Side Bait
453 W 8th St, West Wyoming, PA 18644

The Waymart Deli
618 Roosevelt Hwy, Waymart, PA 18472

Carol's Bait Shop
-934, 932 Lark St, Lehighton, PA 18235

Klotz's Bait & Tackle Shop
216 Hess Ave, Hellertown, PA 18055

Brady and Cavany Ace
809 Hunter Hwy, Tunkhannock, PA 18657

Dallas Sporting Goods
16 E Center St, Shavertown, PA 18708

Wallenpaupack Sports Shop
30 Welwood Ave, Hawley, PA 18428

Pike County Outfitters
106 US-6, Milford, PA 18337

Pickerel Inn General Store
1524 PA-402, Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328

Gumpy's Creekside Cabin
2861 PA-42, Millville, PA 17846

The Bait Buddies
671 Prichards Rd, Hunlock Creek, PA 18621

Fish's Worms
533 PA-93, Orangeville, PA 17859

Hunter's Gallery
223 PA-590, Elmhurst Township, PA 18444

JC'S Live Bait and Tackle Shop
508 Main St, Gouldsboro, PA 18424

Long John's Bait Barn
148 Bennett Rd, Union Dale, PA 18470

R3 HARDWARE
541 Main St, Honesdale, PA 18431

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2021, 08:36 PM »
Great summary VD!!! Thanks for taking the time to put these all together!

A few years ago, I seem to recall a thread for posting names and locations of bait shops in PA. Since that number is ever-dwindling, I would love to see that thread come back and be updated.

Can one of the moderators on this board pin a thread at the top of the PA forum where we can all post bait shops so everyone can find them more quickly? Would be much easier than searching the archives or asking for shops repeatedly. This list would make a nice start to the thread.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2021, 09:18 PM »
Great summary VD!!! Thanks for taking the time to put these all together!

A few years ago, I seem to recall a thread for posting names and locations of bait shops in PA. Since that number is ever-dwindling, I would love to see that thread come back and be updated.

Can one of the moderators on this board pin a thread at the top of the PA forum where we can all post bait shops so everyone can find them more quickly? Would be much easier than searching the archives or asking for shops repeatedly. This list would make a nice start to the thread.
  Great idea,New York has a thread on the top of their page;https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154985.0   :tipup:

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Really nice, VD.  Thank you
If you ain't havin fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline pugman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Montrose sporting goods store, Susquehanna co. has bait.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:58 PM »
Sorry for the late post VD. Archery  @ the glen in Allentown has live bait.

Archery @ The Glenn
7 Auburn Street Allentown, PA 18103
610-791-7665

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2021, 06:29 PM »
VP - Bean added a thread that’s pinned to the top of this forum for bait shops. Can you post the list you compiled to that thread when you have some time? I’ll be adding a few as well.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:27 PM »
There is also a bait store Just North of   Blakeslee on 940. In Monroe Count It's a ski sport shop but they sell bait.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Mikes Bait and Tackle in Nazareth. Not true NE but if you are driving up from the South (like me) it just off rt. 33
 Always get a good count on minnows.

Offline Fishermen7201

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:32 PM »
One stop in scranton and whites crossing  bait and tackle near Carbondale  good places for everything

Offline VD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:11 PM »

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:14 PM »
This is brilliant! Mind if I copy and paste to the new bait shop thread?

Offline VD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:20 AM »
This is brilliant! Mind if I copy and paste to the new bait shop thread?

Thanks! Please do. If moderator needs to update this map himself, he can export locations from my map, import in new one and share link in thread.

Victor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.