Author Topic: Bait for trout  (Read 12450 times)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Bait for trout
« on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:41 AM »
What type of bait do you guys use when ice fishing for trout?

I have only caught them on minnows, or wax worms.

Do any of you use spawn sacks ?   If so,  what is your favorite rigging ? (Jigging, Tip up etc)

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bait for trout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Minnows and crawlers!  always a winner!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:49 AM »

Do any of you use spawn sacks ?   If so,  what is your favorite rigging ? (Jigging, Tip up etc)

Thanks,

Wiener

What type of Trout are you referring too? Lake, Rainbows, Browns, ect.?
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Any,

I'm just trying to get an idea of what people use for their type of fishing.

Wiener

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2009, 09:42 PM »
On stocked trout I use minnows and mealworms.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:35 PM »
The few times I target trout on tipups I use a teardrop jig packed with waxworms exclusively. I do catch quite a few trout jigging for other species with jigs and spoons tipped with waxies or maggots. Sometimes I'll pick a trout up on tipups with a small minnow, but not too often. The stocked trout seem to prefer the waxies by far.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2009, 03:21 PM »
I fish for stocked trout, and find they often like a jig and wax worm just hanging from a dead stick. I also catch them jigging, but over the years my trusty Schooley rig has put more trout on the ice than my best jigging moves.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:14 PM »
For stocked trout I have done very well on tip-ups with Powerbait (the paste bait). Roll a ball about the size of a dime and push a #8 hook into the ball. Pinch a couple of BB shot on the line an inch or so above the hook. This wiil keep it from floating up into your line.  I usually use a 6lb test flourocarbon leader 4-6' long attached to the braided line with a black barrel swivel. I never really saw a color preference, but the Rainbow trout seem to take the Powerbait more readily than others. I've also done well on fatheads, and seen days when they preferred the Rosy Reds over the regular fatheads. Here's a couple of pics. of a "Powerbait Rainbow" caught by a fishing buddy....WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline JLH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2009, 03:43 PM »
I’m usually trying to find the bigger fish so use large minnows or smelt on my tip ups and then jig with a Swedish pimple or similar jig with a minnow head or wax worms. 

I have done well on smaller stocked fish using wax worms and meal worms on small hooks on tip ups set in shallow water. 

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:56 PM »
12-18" tullibee quickstrike rigged on a tip up

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:05 PM »
salmon eggs, night-crawlers, pin minnows, meal worms, and powerbait have all worked for me...

Generally I prefer...   salmon eggs for Rainbows
                            night-crawlers- for Brookies
                            shiners for Browns  

I use 6lb flourocarbon with a size 10 hook on my tip ups and jig rods...and make sure to have as little tension as possible....Here in NH we are allowed 6 lines per angler (Only 2 on our Lake-trout/Salmon lakes) I usually set up 5 tip-ups and drill plenty of holes to keep me busy with the jig-rod....I'll drop a couple salmon-eggs in each hole and constantly check to see if a trout has taken them...Then I'll move in with the jig rod....I've actually watched the trout circling the hole waiting for more....Too cool :)

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:46 PM »
New to trout fishing, but so far SHRIMP!!!  They really seem to like the Safeway variety, way better than the "Not for human consumption" stuff that smells like @**.  I'd like to try minnows, but AKGF&P seems to think it would be a catastrophe if a few were released and a forage base were to take hold in any of the native lakes around here.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:09 AM »
Nice fish guys,

thanks for the help,  I have a couple of different choices that I would not have considered.

Shrimp and night crawlers.

How do you guys hook the salmon eggs / spawn ?

Can't wait to give it a try this year.

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:14 PM »
nh trout fisherman--i like your setup with the plywood mounts on the rod holders and the flag on the ice pole. i fish with slip bobbers and sometimes you can't see the bobber in the hole. the flag is great. i have also lost a few rods into the hole. good job.

Offline the sweep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Shrimp, squid, and skein/spawn sacs.  A fluorcarbon leader is a must for me.  You also want to use fairly small hooks as though it seems trout have good vision.

Basically bury the hook in the spawn sac so it cant be seen.  Samething with skein but you want to hook the membrane because its more durable than the actual eggs.

Offline CaughtYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was ICE fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:50 PM »
I caught this steelhead on a chartreuse Rat Finky jig and a wax worm. The line broke just as I got the fish out of the ice hole. You can see the tiny jig embedded in my shirt on my right shoulder. I would definitely use a fluorcarbon line or leader as trout tend to be line shy.

The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2009, 01:05 PM »
Yesterday I was using shrimp and they would only investigate but not bite, today I am trying salmon eggs and maybe powerbait, worms tomorrow???   Each day is a new experience to find what they are craving down below the ice.  :tipup:

Offline freezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:34 PM »
For wild trout I find smelt works the best.  I find stocked trout tend to be less picky, so I often go with shiners because they are usually cheaper.

Offline springer7515

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:41 PM »

Thanks,

Wiener
Stocked trout we use corn.

Offline freezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2009, 10:43 AM »
What kind of corn?  Frozen or canned or what?  I don't know if I would actually do it, but i do have a warm-water pond that is stocked with brookies for the first time for put and take ice fishing, and corn is a lot cheaper than bait.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2009, 02:53 PM »
White corn(nibblets),maggots,cheese balls,power bait and crawlers.

I usaly use a Swedish pimple size 3,4 deadsticked about 6"-12" off bottom.Also use lots of tube jigs 1.5" in many various colors.

BBJ

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:25 AM »
You catch trout deadsticking a sweedish pimple ?

Aw, man, now I gotta go buy more stuff.  ;D

By corn niblets are you referring to canned corn from the grocery store or a brand name of fishing bait?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Wiener

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I use raw shrimp on a custom jigs and spins poppee( or any one of their jigs) most of the time. Buy it on sale and cut it up into small pieces at home. You are trying to imitate freshwater shrimp and since several of these guys would fit on a dime small pieces are usually the best way to go.
 Single salmon eggs(pautzkes balls -o-fire) work good sometimes as does cured salmon eggs(Small pieces of cured skein eggs).
Also they like to eat small leeches and powerbait makes a version that works ok but they are a bit big for lakes with small stockers.I would try cutting them in half if the lake had smaller trout.
As for the corn most people just use plain old canned corn. Corn is usually not a recommended bait because if a trout eats a lot of it it will expand in their stomach and can potentially harm the fish. I am not saying not to use it but that is what fish and game agencies say could happen if they were to ingest a stomach full.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline scrounger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:11 PM »
powerbait pellets, color of your choice with a meal worm so it will sink.  this combo will catch stocked trout very well.  i have done very well fishing this way even though i mostly fish for salmon one trap is set up this way and it usually will not leave me skunked.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:27 AM »
when I go south I always wanted to invent a fly that looked like the pellets they feed those stocked trout   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Silver~Ghost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Canned corn..or berkley power baits work here

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Raw shrimp is an awesome bait.

Fish on

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:39 PM »
  The number one bait for me this year has been preserved wigglers(Hex nymphs) that my dad sent me from Michigan.  We don't even have them naturally out here as far as I know.  That on a #8 chart/orange ice ant has been an absolute killer.  When the feeding frenzy hits, everything seems to work just as well as anything else.  Been fishing about 4 ft. down in 6ft. of water.  Due to the warm temps, it is still "first ice" action out here and may continue the whole season if the weather stays like this.

Jim

Offline ominousone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:48 PM »
There is a fly that looks a lot like trout pellets.  It's a snail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.