The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: to release or not to release  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: to release or not to release
« Reply #60 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:33 PM »
I think to say the younger generation is more aware of the benefits of c+r is a bit short sighted. I don't see the older generation as a bunch of hard headed bumpkins that would rape that land for all it's worth without care for the future generations. I think it had more to do with a trust that God was faithful and put those fish in the water to feed us. I hear the argument that it is more expensive to go fishing for fish than it is to buy them in the supermarket. And that big fish and bucks bring so much out of town money around we should adopt antler restrictions and slot and small bag limits on our fish. I'm here to say that I don't believe our fish and game should be sported out to trophy anglers while the natural way is pushed further and further into taboo. People that have no idea where there food comes from, sealed in cellophane with no face or idea where it lived it's life or what the conditions were like. That say I would rather grab a burger on the way home, or think cleaning fish after a day of grinding on the ice an impossible task. If I must expect flak or a hard time from someone like that for keeping a 21" walleye, you better think it and not say it.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Agree 100% Dave.

“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

― Aldo Leopold

That is a great quote from one of our best stewards of natural resources. I think a lot of people would benefit from becoming more knwolegable of his work.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 26, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Another way to show more respect for the resource is to kick the fillet habit. Bones are not scattered randomly thru a fish's body---they are quite easy to find, actually. Slow down, savor the flavor as you eat and pick out the bones as you eat. Much less waste. as for pike, the are shaped like logs anyway. What do you do with logs---you saw them up. So cut the pike into steaks rather than fillets.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:03 PM »
My point was that the majority of the depression era babies where I grew up and have had the pleasure to know over the years, have the take the limit mentality and don't stop until you do. More than anything else it was a matter of having food to eat or being hungry. That mentality in a lot of cases was passed down to the offspring of the depression era babies as a learned behavior. We are creatures of our environment unless we make a conscious effort to change that. I might cause a fire storm by saying that, but its my opinion and I am entitled to state such. Not saying that those offspring can't grow out of the habit as I am testament to it, but there is a lot to what I say. Take what you or others can eat and eat what you take. Trophies, dinks, pigs, etc.     

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2018, 04:28 PM »
we fish for fun now. it would be a lot cheaper to go to the store for your fish.same for hunting although i love deer and elk steaks @25-30 dollars a pound.but wheres the fun in that.i keep enough fish for a few meals (to lazy to fillet a 50 fish limit because i will be going again) yes i fillet my fish hate bones they get stuck in my dentures.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 26, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Hoofer.

Sssssssh, don't tell our wives. I have been out to Holter the holy grail of perch fishing in this area and the back topic of this extended thread and have brought home the total of 6 perch. Do the price per pound on that one driving round trip in a full sized half ton 4x4 pickup along with the bait, beer, tackle, etc. You are 100% correct.  I too am too lazy or maybe my adhd doesn't allow me to focus enough to do 50 fish, but I would have to catch that many to have to worry about it. Doesn't appear that is going to happen this year anyhow so that I guess is a good thing.

Tight lines all. I just broke a shoe lace in my work shoe so I need to get that replaced before I go home this evening. AHHH, the important things in life.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #66 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Ha. that reminds me of this fall when I went salmon fishing at fort peck.  I only managed to catch two.  My wife couldn't refrain from telling me those fish were $500 apiece.  I told her "aren't you glad I didn't catch more?"

Mizayikaa

« Reply #67 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:37 PM »
And yes,  I kept them both.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:32 PM »
And yes,  I kept them both.

How do those kings taste out of Peck? Curious how they compare to a salt fish.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 26, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Can I ask what some of those things are?

Here’s one straight from the MT regs.

“All Paddlefish caught during the catch-and-release season must be released immediately and may not be gaffed or lifted out of the water. Captured fish must remain at least partially submerged in water at all times (to avoid injury to the fish).”

Keep in mind, these protections are regarding paddlefish legally snagged and landed using up to size 8/0 hooks.

YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #70 on: Feb 27, 2018, 01:35 AM »
How do those kings taste out of Peck? Curious how they compare to a salt fish.
This was snagging season so they are coming in to "spawn" and die.  I hit it early and one was fantastic.  I am typically a white fish guy but it was as good as any salmon I have had.  I spent 8 years on the Puget Sound so I have had a few.  Unfortunately the other one was starting to turn and get soft.  I thought I could salvage it on the smoker but it was too far gone.  I guess that makes one $1000 fish.  Really glad I didn't catch more now.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #71 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Let em come.  I had a buddy that used to say "In order for life to sustain, something has to die."  I may not have eaten both those fish but they did get to go full circle in the cycle of life as opposed to being thrown in the trash.  Come to think of it that same buddy used to also say "There's no point in arguing with stupid."

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Right on. I lived in Kent for a couple years when Century Link Stadium was being built, my dad and I spent a lot of time fishing the Sound and coastal rivers. Talk about a fishery that has zero catch and release except for wild fish. And correct me if I am wrong, but the salmon in Fort Peck are obviously stocked, so are they used to restock the lake once they spawn? I wouldn't think it would be a viable source of reproduction, meaning that it would have to be helped out through stocking processes, so it shouldn't matter if you kept whatever you caught because that individual fish wouldn't make a contribution to the population anyways.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #73 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:38 AM »
That is correct.  FWP collect these fish in the fall and harvest their eggs to take back to the hatchery.  The surviving fry get stocked into the lake in the spring. They live out a three or four year cycle and head back in to "spawn".  They open up to snagging in the fall when they come in because these fish are just going to die anyway.  It's actually a bigger waste of resources to not take them home.  Although I think pretty much all people doing the snagging game realize it's not a catch and release sport.  That being said I would like anyone who feels like attacking to know that in other scenarios I keep a few and I release a few as well.  I like to eat fish and even more so I want my kids to be able to go fishing.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Just goes to show that the catch and release conundrum is not so easily answered. There are so many variables on each given fish, body of water, season, etc... I think the most important question would be to ask if fish that are caught, regardless of size or trophy 'status' are going to waste. I don't think I could condemn anyone for keeping any fish legally caught, so long as it is being consumed and not left to rot in the freezer unti an angler deems it inedible and throws it away.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #75 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I would agree with that.  I think most people still know the difference between right and wrong and I usually find that the most defensive people have the guiltiest consciences.

Offline Kfraley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Pretty open ?

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Just goes to show that the catch and release conundrum is not so easily answered. There are so many variables on each given fish, body of water, season, etc... I think the most important question would be to ask if fish that are caught, regardless of size or trophy 'status' are going to waste. I don't think I could condemn anyone for keeping any fish legally caught, so long as it is being consumed and not left to rot in the freezer unti an angler deems it inedible and throws it away.
makes perfect sense...still won't keep trophy fish...aint judging no one...but like ive said...feel good about those big boys in the water...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 28, 2018, 07:03 PM »
there are so many ways to catch....and catch n release in a way where you increase the release survival ratio..sky high....water temps..playing out..depths..bait vs active fishing.. if you are dead sticking and you gut shot a rainbow on a worm? keep it..no matter if it counts against your limit..and if you are going fly fishing in summer where water temps high and stream flows are low...don't hook some fish for your personal enjoyment.go hiking instead..be aware...and think of the fish first....

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Mar 01, 2018, 01:39 PM »
If you are truly that concerned about the fish you would never wet a line. ::) how can you sleep at night knowing one of the those non native speckled carp might not have survived the unnecessary torment you put it through for your own enjoyment.And if it does imagine the years of PTSD it will endure with no other shoulder to lean on other than a lonely crawdad or muskrat.
Dont ask

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 01, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Now that you put it that way, maybe I'll give it up altogether!.

Naaah, not happening!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:12 AM »
We could start a support group for Caught and Released fish,a safe place where they can share their stories and receive the support they need to return to society.     :'(CARA :'(
Dont ask

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:25 AM »
so you are saying if you wet a line you don't care about fish....so...the rancher doesn't care about the cow if he eats beef....and so on down the line...all I was saying just be aware of the situation..if the fish is going die..eat it..and if you are catching and releasing..be educated and aware as much as possible to lower mortality percentages...everythi ng in between is personal ethics...and those obviously are diferrent from person to person....

Offline fridayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:53 AM »
CCC
 its hard to argue with your logic.  nobody should try. respect is a good quality.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.