Author Topic: Will this forum ever be the same?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
Will this forum ever be the same?
« on: Apr 09, 2017, 03:07 AM »
Well thanks to all the pos lurkers this forum was dead this year.  My guess is it will only deteriorate further. 

I am in favor of a pay forum where people can't lurk, the info you post gets seen only by the 20-30 people who pay for a membership and contribute.  No one ever wants to post help or locations any more because hundreds of people will see it within days.  So sad

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Will this forum ever be the same?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Part of the reason it was so dead here this year was our season was so short.  Here in Pennsylvania our season was only two months long.  Not many people get on the site when there's no ice fishing to be done, just like during the off season.  There's lots of people who contribute here and there's no reason to punish them by making them pay because you don't like the lurkers and don't want them to see the posts.  Besides with your 72 posts since 2014 there's a lot of people who would classify you as a lurker and question how much you contribute to the site with so few posts.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Slow short season . Most were fishing when they could ...picture posts were minimal as well as build threads from what I recall . The usual amount of inquires of  best flashers ..huts....augers etc. Lots of taste great less filling debates on the same  ;D. There are several threads that require you to be logged in to view ...reports and conditions boards etc . Maybe we need more of these in certain categories...but I think not . This site has given me the opportunity to learn,teach and express my opinion on our great sport with like minded sportsman .I encourage all the lurkers to join up and post...those members who don't post as much post more . Everyone has something to offer . And yes I will direct you to the upper left SEARCH button more often then not...not because I am being a wisenheimer ..but to direct you to the greatest feature of this site ...past experience...product reviews etc (I do wish they fix the center SEARCH button ...much easier to find your specific topic).

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Well thanks to all the pos lurkers this forum was dead this year.  My guess is it will only deteriorate further. 

I am in favor of a pay forum where people can't lurk, the info you post gets seen only by the 20-30 people who pay for a membership and contribute.  No one ever wants to post help or locations any more because hundreds of people will see it within days.  So sad

Hmmm. 72 posts from you in 3 years. That's barely 2 dozen a year. Most "active" folks can do that in a couple of weeks at the outside. So what's your definition of "lurker"? Not pickin', just a question...

There's plenty here for me to learn and plenty to share as well. I'm good.  @)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Guys, I think he is speaking strictly to the Alberta portion of Ice Shanty.   72 posts is monstrous given the total threads.   I think most of them are mine for fishing reports   ;D

And, the ice season was very, very long here in Alberta. 

Alberta was never huge on Ice Shanty even in previous years.  Just too many choices out there and Shanty, for Albertans, is no where near the top forums.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2017, 10:59 PM »

Doubt it.  I assume this is the end of Alberta on Ice Shanty.  Forums either change to better support as many as possible or die out.  Of course few posting any thing of substance certainly contributes.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2017, 12:56 AM »
Guys, I think he is speaking strictly to the Alberta portion of Ice Shanty.   72 posts is monstrous given the total threads.   I think most of them are mine for fishing reports   ;D

And, the ice season was very, very long here in Alberta. 

Alberta was never huge on Ice Shanty even in previous years.  Just too many choices out there and Shanty, for Albertans, is no where near the top forums.

This is exactly it lol  I don't post or read other sections of this forum except for the Burbot forum the odd time

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2017, 01:04 AM »
Hmmm. 72 posts from you in 3 years. That's barely 2 dozen a year. Most "active" folks can do that in a couple of weeks at the outside. So what's your definition of "lurker"? Not pickin', just a question...

There's plenty here for me to learn and plenty to share as well. I'm good.  @)

All my posts are Alberta based for the most part. I also pm guys if I gave info and they are looking.

These issue for Alberta is we have over 4 million people and 800 fish bearing lakes/rivers.  People here will drive 4-5 hours for 15 perch.

Also, the province is spread out North - south not east west like all the other provinces which really hampers the lakes. I go 1.5 hours north and I'm at a city of 100,000, one hour north of that and it's another 800,000.  The majority of lakes are all within 2 hours of a major city so everything gets nailed hard.   

Put up a report about Perch or walleye and you'll have 1000 views in no time from guys that willl come from far as wide to hammer them and fill a limit.

Finally, if you look at our lakes on a map you'll see they are nowhere near the size of lakes the guys in north central US have and can not sustain the pressure.

Offline PeterPiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2017, 05:13 AM »
Im hoping that I can contribute to some of those missed discussions next season. I never even knew about this site until last month so I am pretty happy with finding it and will be active when I can finally get the auger to ice.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2017, 05:30 AM »
this website pretty much covers the entire ice belt. Internationally. I've seen posts from guys in Siberia and China! Alberta is just one part of it and from your post saying that you only read or post on the the Alberta forum shows why that forum might be hurting. The guys from Alberta don't seem to be posting here, and as said it might not be the only or favorite game in town. I suggest you post more and when you meet guys on the ice, tell them about us and maybe get a few more guys posting. Heck, every time I meet someone on the ice (which is often, I can be gabby!) I ask if they are on the shanty. If they aren't I tell them about it and that they should check it out. It's a great site but it needs us, the members, to make it succeed.  :tipup:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2017, 05:34 AM »
oh, and one more thing. Most of those POS lurkers are just guys that aren't sure they can contribute ( they can). They might not be very gabby ( they don't have to be). They might not spend enough time on a computer to get comfortable ( they should just say "hello" ). Most of those POS lurkers are just good old boys that we haven't fished with yet.

Offline PeterPiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2017, 02:27 AM »
this website pretty much covers the entire ice belt. Internationally. I've seen posts from guys in Siberia and China! Alberta is just one part of it and from your post saying that you only read or post on the the Alberta forum shows why that forum might be hurting. The guys from Alberta don't seem to be posting here, and as said it might not be the only or favorite game in town. I suggest you post more and when you meet guys on the ice, tell them about us and maybe get a few more guys posting. Heck, every time I meet someone on the ice (which is often, I can be gabby!) I ask if they are on the shanty. If they aren't I tell them about it and that they should check it out. It's a great site but it needs us, the members, to make it succeed.  :tipup:

Sounds like you should get some business cards made up! Hell, maybe you could even get an advertising budget at one point (to the tune of some beers of course)!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2017, 05:12 AM »
Cards would be a good idea.... and a few cold beers is never a bad idea, LOL!!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2017, 08:58 AM »
oh, and one more thing. Most of those POS lurkers are just guys that aren't sure they can contribute ( they can). They might not be very gabby ( they don't have to be). They might not spend enough time on a computer to get comfortable ( they should just say "hello" ). Most of those POS lurkers are just good old boys that we haven't fished with yet.
also, those lurkers  may have a question that many of us could chime in on. spot burning is definitely a problem everywhere. We all have questions and answers. how you're fishing, what you're fishing.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2017, 09:27 AM »
If anyone feels they can't contribute it would be us almost heaven folks.Our input is pretty restricted due to our yearly shortage of ice,thus rendering us more inexperienced,but we do try and post,and we surely read most if not all threads,even those up nort threads.My thoughts would be this......no matter how tough you think ya got it,there is always thinner ice on someone else's lake,fish on!

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2017, 07:28 AM »

Snaps got it .....though last year was unusual for lenght of good ice . Most years
  The south is iffy . I'm on every forum in Alberta .....ice related areas are all the same .
   Slow year , so what ....I was perusing superstore baits the other day , went home
   And gave the Ion a quick charge . After 3 mo. Of bird chasing ,I'll be ready to do some
   flag watching .  I think overall ice numbers are down , our govt and their C&R obsession
   Haven't helped .

Offline fishingplumber28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2017, 08:36 PM »
So I just wrapped up my open water season and thought I would stop in and see what's up......and see this bs. My opinion is contribute to this forum your knowledge and experiences.....and your real questions. If you don't fish or can't go because it's too cold then stay in your mamas basement.... and by the way you need some sun go outside, leave the basement.

By the way I see a lot of people in my trade and visit a lot of great customers, but..........I see a lot of pale faced computer kids well they are not kids..... go the * outside get some sun.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10:26 PM »
So I just wrapped up my open water season and thought I would stop in and see what's up......and see this bs. My opinion is contribute to this forum your knowledge and experiences.....and your real questions. If you don't fish or can't go because it's too cold then stay in your mamas basement.... and by the way you need some sun go outside, leave the basement.

By the way I see a lot of people in my trade and visit a lot of great customers, but..........I see a lot of pale faced computer kids well they are not kids..... go the * outside get some sun.

So you are posting on an forum for outdoor people with a message for people that don't go outdoors... that is like a tree falling in the woods and no one is around.     ;D

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2017, 05:52 AM »
Ive been a member here for a few years and havnt posted much until recently, i however do visit several times a day to see what new posts and comments there are. I have learned a lot from techniques to new equipment reviews. It's also interesting to see different ways people ice fish in other  areas. There are many great guys (and gals) here on this forum that share the same passion that I have for the great sport of ice fishing. I'm proud to be a junkie and glad to see there is others like me. In a world that is full of such turmoil, it's nice to be able to get away for a laugh or 2. I'm impatiently sitting in my basement in my new flipover  waiting for first ice. Just my 2 cents, tight lines and be safe.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Ive been a member here for a few years and havnt posted much until recently, i however do visit several times a day to see what new posts and comments there are. I have learned a lot from techniques to new equipment reviews. It's also interesting to see different ways people ice fish in other  areas. There are many great guys (and gals) here on this forum that share the same passion that I have for the great sport of ice fishing. I'm proud to be a junkie and glad to see there is others like me. In a world that is full of such turmoil, it's nice to be able to get away for a laugh or 2. I'm impatiently sitting in my basement in my new flipover  waiting for first ice. Just my 2 cents, tight lines and be safe.

Just happy to see I'm not the only one doing that in my basement....  lol
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Personally I use/read on the whole site.  Lots of good information from all the different States and Provinces.  Chip in where you like.  I do not like spot burning either it can be quite harmful to the few waters we have in AB.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.