Author Topic: 40 mile Jumbo's  (Read 5101 times)

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
40 mile Jumbo's
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Seen some nice perch coming out of 40 mile.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 40 mile Jumbo's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Well now ain't that a cool way to kill a good lake.  Tell the whole internet while your at it.

If you know any spots on the lake please share them with the internet too.

Give it maybe 2 3 yrs. tops and the fishn is gonzo just like at Crimson and many many more used to be good lakes.

SHOTGUN

Offline npauls

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard Or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2016, 02:23 PM »
If you expect to head to 40 mile and get on consistent jumbos your are going to be very disappointed.

That lake is loaded with tiny stunted perch and you see the odd nice one come out of there. For every good one you catch you will land about 4000 tiny ones.

I chase big perch a lot and have put in my time in that lake. I have found some nice perch over the years but never consistently.

Offline Icyatc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 04:16 PM »
40 mile is a big lake in the middle of no where. If anyone thinks it's going to get killed with pressure cause of one post, well that's just silly. If anything, writing "cool way to kill a good lake" should put far more attention on that lake than mentioning that you seen some nice perch. There's big fish of all sorts all over this province. Stocks go up and down. But I can't imagine one post will decimate the population of any one specific lake.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I'll let your comment slide.

You must be new to the fishing forums.  For several years now too many guys wanting to brag about their luck post up and quite often with pics as well as where when and what bait worked best. 

That is all it takes for several to take a look at that lake.  Another guy posted up on AOL about big perch at 40 and what do you know over 1000 views in the first day, along with post like where is this lake can you drive on.

But lets get the straight goods on the Perch at 40.  NPauls has it dead on.  For every 9 inch perch you will need to go through 100 or more of those cute little 3-5 inchers.

So the lesson is if you do find a lake that produces good results for you maybe just keep it to your self for future fishing enjoyment.

SHOTGUN

Offline Fishdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Check AO SG and look at the posts there regarding 40 mile. Your probably already on there. ??? I guess 40 mile is your lake only?

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 12:37 AM »
40 mile is a big lake in the middle of no where. If anyone thinks it's going to get killed with pressure cause of one post, well that's just silly. If anything, writing "cool way to kill a good lake" should put far more attention on that lake than mentioning that you seen some nice perch. There's big fish of all sorts all over this province. Stocks go up and down. But I can't imagine one post will decimate the population of any one specific lake.

There's a lake 4 hours from Edmonton whose name I can't remember, was 4 letters, word got out there was good perch fishing there, it got swarmed and killed by people from Edmonton. 40 mile is less then 4 hours from Calgary and has a substantial amount more population in the area (Calgary, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge) so yes, ousting where you catch jumbo perch does and will kill a lake quick.

Give pointers and locations through PM, never on an open board.  Way too man lurkers,

Offline sureshot242

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 12:51 AM »
There's a lake 4 hours from Edmonton whose name I can't remember, was 4 letters, word got out there was good perch fishing there, it got swarmed and killed by people from Edmonton. 40 mile is less then 4 hours from Calgary and has a substantial amount more population in the area (Calgary, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge) so yes, ousting where you catch jumbo perch does and will kill a lake quick.

Give pointers and locations through PM, never on an open board.  Way too man lurkers,

Are you talking about waiu. The same happened with cross and snipe also.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2017, 03:05 AM »
Are you talking about waiu. The same happened with cross and snipe also.

Yes! That is the one. If people will do 8 hours round trip then no lake in the province is out of harms way when it comes to a Perch hotspot.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:28 AM »
Well now ain't that a cool way to kill a good lake.  Tell the whole internet while your at it.

If you know any spots on the lake please share them with the internet too.

Give it maybe 2 3 yrs. tops and the fishn is gonzo just like at Crimson and many many more used to be good lakes.

SHOTGUN
      You just gave up more info than the original post see you soon       just kidding I know where the biggies are and my trap is shut

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:13 AM »
      You just gave up more info than the original post see you soon       just kidding I know where the biggies are and my trap is shut

I'd have to agree  :)
Not much info on the original post.  And, it sounds like a me saying "I caught a jumbo on Gull..."  ...big deal.  Hard to catch and big lake.  Sounds like 40 mile is a similar situation if it is of a similar size.   If it is not then I agree, but, I don't call anybody out on handing off information.   That in itself shows arrogance.  It is up to the Op if he/she wants to give away any info.  And there is nothing you can do about that. 

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Anyone that thinks that the internet/message boards have little effect on the waters in Alberta has their head in the sand(ice)ice.

3-4 years ago people put out there the good burbot fishing at PCR.  After about 3 years burbot were scarce, go figure.

I as well as a few others commented on that when it was first brought up but were told that it wouldnt be a problem.

I posted on the other forum that within the first 24 ours or that post there were already about 650 views.

People just dont get it.  These posts generate more fishing pressure!

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Also want to add, 40 mile reservoir is another small reservoir in Southern Alberta.

Gull is about 19 km long and 4.5 km wide halfway down the lake.

40 mile is about 10 km long and a typical coulee reservoir (narrow) avg about . 8 km wide.

The only large lake/Reservoir down south is Newel.

And it is still smaller then gull at 13.5 long and about 4.50 wide

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:03 AM »
Pretty sure Mcgregor is longer then 19 km

Edit: Mcgregor is 40 km long and 2km wide at the widest point.  But it is a narrow lake for the most part, Newell is like a big bowl.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Also want to add, 40 mile reservoir is another small reservoir in Southern Alberta.

Gull is about 19 km long and 4.5 km wide halfway down the lake.

40 mile is about 10 km long and a typical coulee reservoir (narrow) avg about . 8 km wide.

The only large lake/Reservoir down south is Newel.

And it is still smaller then gull at 13.5 long and about 4.50 wide

Thanks, yep, that is a big difference in size.  40 mile would definitely be more susceptible than Gull.  I guess let's see how this unfolds. 

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2017, 10:07 AM »

Edit: Mcgregor is 40 km long and 2km wide at the widest point.  But it is a narrow lake for the most part, Newell is like a big bowl.

Sorry John have to disagree.  Been on that lake too many times to count and have been from the no boat launch to the far south end lot's and never has it been 40K  I think you are confusing Newell with Mcgregor.

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Just FYI :

Gull lake   : 8060 Hectares  or  80.6 km2

Newel       : 6307 Hectares or   63 km2

McGregor : 4903 Hectares or   49 km2

40 mile     : 675 Hectares   or   6.75 km2

Better perspective.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:23 PM »

Sorry John have to disagree.  Been on that lake too many times to count and have been from the no boat launch to the far south end lot's and never has it been 40K  I think you are confusing Newell with Mcgregor.

I just Google it again. The lake is listed as being 40 km long

Primary outflows    Bow River
Catchment area    993 km2 (383 sq mi)
Basin countries    Canada
Max. length    40 km (25 mi)
Max. width    2 km (1.2 mi)
Surface area    51.4 km2 (19.8 sq mi)[1]
Average depth    6.5 m (21 ft)
Max. depth    9.7 m (32 ft)
Surface elevation    868 m (2,848 ft)

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Sorry but sometimes google can be wrong too.

Here is what I know about Mc gregor.    With my boat according to the GPS traveling 30mph it takes me about 20 minutes from the north boat launch which is about 500 meters from the north shore to the south shore where the highway crosses over.  Now if you take the canal and continue on with that then you may well have 40k flowing into traverse to the south. 

Having flown over that area many times it does look like one long lake flowing into traverse, but it is mainly the canal.  That could well be what google earth has seen and posted as the lake.

In any event it is not an easy lake to fish but I have caught several rainbows there over the years.  Good burbot fishing in Feb and March.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Sorry but sometimes google can be wrong too.

Here is what I know about Mc gregor.    With my boat according to the GPS traveling 30mph it takes me about 20 minutes from the north boat launch which is about 500 meters from the north shore to the south shore where the highway crosses over.  Now if you take the canal and continue on with that then you may well have 40k flowing into traverse to the south. 

Having flown over that area many times it does look like one long lake flowing into traverse, but it is mainly the canal.  That could well be what google earth has seen and posted as the lake.

In any event it is not an easy lake to fish but I have caught several rainbows there over the years.  Good burbot fishing in Feb and March.

Yes, south of that bridge is still Mcgregor lake. I looked on a depth chart, some good holes in that south section but no way to access it in the Winter time. I am not driving under the bridge lol

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:30 AM »

It happens all the time , look what happened to
  Frank , all that chatter on AO . Now dead !

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Lake is a wash , my experiment worked. Like I the master jumbo perch Slayer would give  the slightest hint on Jumbo's, hah yeah rite. After all the butt hurt people got their panties in a bunch on here a few years ago, no wonder this site is DEAD as Hastings lake lol. (Fu anvil)

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Lake is a wash , my experiment worked. Like I the master jumbo perch Slayer would give  the slightest hint on Jumbo's, hah yeah rite. After all the butt hurt people got their panties in a bunch on here a few years ago, no wonder this site is DEAD as Hastings lake lol. (Fu anvil)

So the Hastings hero now thinks he is the slayer of perch.  LOL   After your shot at anvil  I don't see you hanging around the ice shanty much longer.

SEE YA ;D

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:38 PM »
I see you guys all carry on with the same crap here as you do on AO. How embarrassing for you.
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I see you guys all carry on with the same crap here as you do on AO. How embarrassing for you.

Agreed,no one on AO or here seems to be "sportsman",the idea of a forum is to swap ideas and techniques. All I see is over grown men acting like elementary children instead of sportsman.Everyone has their secret spot and with only 800 lakes in AB it's understandable that we as sportsman should protect these "secret" spots but fighting on here is ridiculous. I post on Iceshanty all over the USA at popular lakes and the locals private message me tons of tips and info,it's a total shame to see this on Alberta forums,embarrassing infact.

Offline the fisherman guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:09 AM »
We have a unique fishery here in Alberta, and a diverse set of anglers who regularly fish our waters. This will always create strife in some way, but, it can be avoided.

Save spots for Private Messages.

Stop posting threads that taunt.

Forget calling out newbies for their mistakes and ignorance.

Create the space you want to spend your time in - Don't contribute to a downfall.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2017, 02:23 PM »
You can't teach someone to have a moral compass they either do or don't.  Best to just focus on yourself and do the best you can and what will be will be. Regardless of what's said on here. The world is becoming smaller everyday we all have to do our best or we will lose this activity cherished by so many.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.