Author Topic: Less Bulky Ice Suit  (Read 6925 times)

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
Less Bulky Ice Suit
« on: Jan 04, 2023, 01:11 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations on an ice suit that is much less bulky than what's currently out there.  I have an old Clam suit that feels like I'm wearing the JNCO jeans from the 90's. 

Does anyone have recommendations for a more "athletic" fit or just not super baggy?

Last year, I almost pulled the trigger on the Eskimo Flag Chaser pants.  They seemed less bulky, but I could never find them in a store where I could try them on.  Maybe there's something else.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Less Bulky Ice Suit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2023, 01:12 PM »
I'm interested as well.  I have a Striker suit and I feel like the Michelin man out there.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2023, 01:15 PM »
Seriously, it's been something that's driving me nuts.  Every time I go to Fleet Farm/Scheels/Farm and Fleet/Cabelas, I walk out of the fitting room feeling the same way.  Like a giant puff ball

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2023, 01:24 PM »
Ice runner suit is pretty form fitting.not bulky at all.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2023, 01:38 PM »
maximus4444  Eskimo now makes a Scout line up w/Uplyft ...Striker Ice makes a light weight Predator suit ...they also make the the Trekker ...but that the Trekker bibs  does not have any elastic in the side area...so they fit like a cheap pair of snow pants

Try going down a size ...it may help as well especially in the bibs ...the jacket you may need to go up a size based on your layering system.

Unless you can wait for the Striker Ice Skinny fit line up coming soon

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2023, 01:48 PM »
Unless you can wait for the Striker Ice Skinny fit line up coming soon

Is this like the opposite end of the spectrum?  Is this the skinny jeans for ice fishing?  LOL

I'll have to see if I have a local retailer for Eskimo that carries the scout.  I'll check out the others too.

My problem is that I usually order XL because of the added length.  I'm 6'4".  So, if there was a company out there with Tall sizes, I'd do a Large Tall.  So if one of the manufacturers have a large that is long enough, I think that would probably be the best bet.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2023, 02:49 PM »
Is this like the opposite end of the spectrum?  Is this the skinny jeans for ice fishing?  LOL

I'll have to see if I have a local retailer for Eskimo that carries the scout.  I'll check out the others too.

My problem is that I usually order XL because of the added length.  I'm 6'4".  So, if there was a company out there with Tall sizes, I'd do a Large Tall.  So if one of the manufacturers have a large that is long enough, I think that would probably be the best bet.
The lower cuffs on the bibs on striker gear are adjustable to accommodate a size large on someone that is tall.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2023, 02:59 PM »

You should add your location to your profile ...could be a retailer or a deal near by or a Ice Shanty member may be close and you could have a meet for sizing . Striker ice makes tall sizes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2023, 04:27 PM »
I just purchased a Simms heavy insulated raingear for this same reason, plus cold rain. I would say there about 1/3 the weight of a Clam suit. They were on Sale from Fish USA at X-mas for 40% off. So far they are great had em out at 20 Degrees with light winds. Re-enforced knees. Great buy so far!

https://www.fishusa.com/Simms-Challenger-Insulated-Bibs/
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2023, 09:10 AM »
You should add your location to your profile ...could be a retailer or a deal near by or a Ice Shanty member may be close and you could have a meet for sizing . Striker ice makes tall sizes .

I'm in the greater Milwaukee area.  Just updated my location.  I guess I never even looked at that!

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2023, 09:17 AM »
I didn't know that the Striker Ice bibs have an expandable cuff!  I am going to check out the Large in their Predator Lite model to see if that might be the ticket. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2023, 10:03 AM »
They only have 40 g of insulation ...more of a fall/spring item in my opinion...and they seem to be holding steady at MSRP.

https://strikerbrands.com/products/predator-lite-bib

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2023, 10:13 AM »
Yeah, 40g's might be a little light.  I think I have a Striker dealer close by.  I'm going to head there and hopefully try them on. 

Thanks for the feedback guys

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2023, 10:15 AM »
I use a pair of Cabela's Guidewear uninsulated gore tex bibs and a pair of heavyweight thermal underwear underneath.  I am not ever cold.  This setup is much less bulky than the frabill ice bibs that I almost never wear anymore.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2023, 10:50 AM »
Yeah, 40g's might be a little light.  I think I have a Striker dealer close by.  I'm going to head there and hopefully try them on. 

Thanks for the feedback guys

I would think from where you hark from the Predator w/100g insulation would do just fine most of the season ...then on bitter days go up on your base layer(s)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2023, 12:19 PM »
I didn't know that the Striker Ice bibs have an expandable cuff!  I am going to check out the Large in their Predator Lite model to see if that might be the ticket.

Pretty sure all the suits have that feature, Striker, Strikemaster, Eskimo, Windrider, Clam/Ice Armor, they all have the leg cuff adjustment.

I see a lot of suggestions on a lighter suit, I think an alternative could be one of the suits that have removable liners. You could run without the liners on most days, especially with a good base layer.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Pretty sure all the suits have that feature, Striker, Strikemaster, Eskimo, Windrider, Clam/Ice Armor, they all have the leg cuff adjustment.

I see a lot of suggestions on a lighter suit, I think an alternative could be one of the suits that have removable liners. You could run without the liners on most days, especially with a good base layer.

I have the SI Climate suit..Jjacket and bibs have removable liners ...while the jacket is not too bad with the liner out ...as it has a tapered fit...the bibs are not so form fitting . The suit was too warm on most days in my area...went with the  SI Predator suit ..and a season or so ago got a pair of SI Trekker bibs for the early/late ice bite .

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2023, 02:40 PM »
The new Striker Apex stuff felt really thin and flexible when I checked it out at a shop. $$$$ though.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2023, 03:49 PM »
$$$$ is always the case!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2023, 05:46 PM »
Simms challenger insulated is less bulky.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2023, 06:39 PM »
I've thought about less bulk as well. I own an original "Sno Suit" that's at least 20 years old. Can't even wear the parka unless it's teens or colder. The bibs are unbelievable. Tough, waterproof, warm (can't wear more than a pair of pants underneath) but very bulky. That said, I've stood outside in -26F for the whole day in this thing and always felt comfortable albeit restricted. Can't help but feel less bulk won't allow me to stand out in that.

So I'm still thinkin' about it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:38 PM »
I use a pair of Cabela's Guidewear uninsulated gore tex bibs and a pair of heavyweight thermal underwear underneath.  I am not ever cold.  This setup is much less bulky than the frabill ice bibs that I almost never wear anymore.
I wear the same bibs with a lightweight polyester base layer and whatever weight fleece mid layer is right for the temperature. My upper body is clothed the same way, lightweight base layer, fleece mid layer and uninsulated Gore Tex shell.

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:54 PM »
Same as 9huskies I also wear Cabela's Guidewear bibs & coat. I too never get cold. My bottom layer is Under Armour Cold Gear. The next layer is fleeced lined jeans & an Under Armour hooded sweatshirt. When it is extremely cold I might add an extra Under Armour Cold gear shirt. I do not own a machine so I do plenty of walking pulling my pop-up full of gear. I swear by the Cabela's Guidewear.

Offline bmawds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2023, 08:27 PM »

Baselayer
Sweatshirt
Stormr

Bottom

Baselayer
Offbrand hiking pants from Amazon that are wind/water resistant

Works well as long as you’re not kneeling on the ice for extended periods, or in slush

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:13 PM »
Same as 9huskies I also wear Cabela's Guidewear bibs & coat. I too never get cold. My bottom layer is Under Armour Cold Gear. The next layer is fleeced lined jeans & an Under Armour hooded sweatshirt. When it is extremely cold I might add an extra Under Armour Cold gear shirt. I do not own a machine so I do plenty of walking pulling my pop-up full of gear. I swear by the Cabela's Guidewear.

I'm not endorsing Cabela's Guidewear. It's good but it's nothing special. I am endorsing Gore-Tex over any of the imitations I've used. When I was looking for uninsulated Gore-Tex bibs the best bargain I could find was Guidewear closeouts from the previous year. That was 10 years ago. The stitching in the crotch came undone after a year so I glued a patch over it with contact cement which has held up surprisingly well.
I'm still wearing a 20 year old Campmor jacket that's on its third zipper. The jacket and bibs are finally wearing out and should be replaced for next winter. I don't know what brand I'll get but it's a safe bet that they will be uninsulated Gore-Tex. These items aren't just for ice fishing. They're for any time I want protection from wind and/or water.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2023, 07:28 PM »
I have the Cabela's Guidewear Bibs too.  Gortex and no insulation but layer appropriately underneath.  Perfect so far for 10-15 years.  Top side I wear a Striker Float Jacket which is bulky, cumbersome and not very comfortable.  Sometimes I take that off once I'm in the flip or staying put... If I'm on good ice.

Offline WIcrappieguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2023, 07:21 PM »
https://graff-usa.com/

The lightest and warmest suit out there right now, and it floats....

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2023, 11:03 AM »
I like my trekker
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.