The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Short rod for big fish  (Read 1801 times)

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Short rod for big fish
« on: Dec 24, 2015, 04:40 PM »
     Hey all! First of all MERRY CHRISTMAS! Secondly, I've been lookin for a short rod (30 to 45 inches) for heavy jigging. I would primarily be using jigs in the 1 1/2 to 2 ounce weights with 5 to 7 inch tubes mostly fishin deeper than 50 fow but some times shallow. I've seen the HT Touge @ 28 inches and the HT Ice Blue @ 44 inches on line but can find no reviews and don't really want to buy another set up I can't use. Any ideas what a feller interested in this extra heavy stuff could find? Many thanks.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Short rod for big fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Might just have to make one or find someone who can make one for you.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2015, 05:56 PM »
     Yeah, a friend told me he's got this old pool cue he doesn't use anymore :-\!

Offline Junior48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2015, 06:20 PM »
I bought the wife a calm split handle heavy for Christmas. She hasn't had a chance to fish with it yet, being It's Christmas eve.  But I think it will do the job for what your looking to do.  Once we get out I'll try to get a better review on it

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2015, 06:27 PM »
What's your price range?
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies so quickly. A review of that clam with something with some real weight on it would be awesome Junior48! As far as price is concerned I think a feller gets what he pays for ONLY if ya research it very carefully. Livin on social security I really can't afford to spend money twice. Went fishin through the ice with Bonser once and he had some really nice rods he had twisted up himself for a C note each. I should have got one then but didn't anticipate I'd ever be able to target those kind of fish again. BTW Many thanks Ash and have a merry Christmas!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Can't go wrong with a tucr or thorne bros rod. Tucr just came out with another heavy rod. I'm sure there are a few builders on here that would take care of you for less $$ but I can't speak for them.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2015, 03:19 AM »
I purchased a Berkley Lightning spinning rod a few years ago and, as I recall, it wasn't too expensive. It is a 32 inch, heavy action rod and is very stiff. I find it too stiff for spoons/jigs that are 1/2 to 1 ounce but it would probably be a good rod for the weight of jigs that you are going to use. 

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2015, 08:12 AM »
 Try the PK rods, 44" carbon fiber rods, they make one for baitcaster and spinning reels. They are fairly affordable and They're sensitive enough for perch and crappie and plenty strong enough for big trout, eyes and pike. I got one last year and bought 3 more for this year. Awesome rods
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline mrotho2002

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • true
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I just bought the St Croix 30 inch ice rod in med and it is alot stiffer than I expected they make a heavy so might want to look into that I think they go up to 36
Team walleyice

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2015, 09:07 PM »
 ;D What an outstanding bunch of options to investigate! This Ice Shanty community blows me away! Many thanks guys, I'll be lookin into these. Stay safe out there! ;D

Offline wyoute

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Reelrusty, It depends on the money you want to spend, I personally have used a few of the shorter HT and Rip city rods, they are ok as long as ya don't set the hook to hard on a 20 pound plus fish, I have broke a few on the gorge! Yeah maybe its my on fault setting to hard, but the last thing I want is to fish all day, have a bite set the hook and SNAP!! I have a couple of 4'9 heavy action Ugly Stixs (30 bucks) I then cut it off just below the first guide below the tip and then put a new tip on the end, It makes it around 50 inches, If ya want something good and a little shorter I would like you said earlier go with Ashley's rods or Capt Jim Williams makes some nice ones too and I believe they are around 150.00  Jims rods will be my next purchase!!

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2015, 04:26 PM »
     Many thanks wyoute! Late checkin the forum but I appreciate and will likely use the ugly stick idea. While I'd prefer a stick from Ashley my sweetie's Festool Christmas will limit me to Ugly Sticks for this year! Got'em on the way.  ;D

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:00 PM »
     Many thanks wyoute! Late checkin the forum but I appreciate and will likely use the ugly stick idea. While I'd prefer a stick from Ashley my sweetie's Festool Christmas will limit me to Ugly Sticks for this year! Got'em on the way.  ;D
I use three medium ugly sticks, think they were $25 each, mate well with okuma md15 level winds and 12lb coplymer line...1/2 oz. jigs 40-80ft of water.  Most of all, tie good knots.
Thread killer

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:27 PM »
I have a few "laker" rods built by Thorne Bros custom rods... They are definitely meaty enough to handle some big fish.   Look into the company "Thorne Bro's Custom Rods"... I haven't read a bad word about them on this website... highly recommended!  (I have a few extra I would maybe part with... PM me)

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2015, 01:19 PM »
 :) Thanks gemcity! After looking at Thorne Bros videos explaining their pro glass rods I was very tempted but already have
Ugly Stick on the way. If shortening the Ugly Stick doesn't work out I may go that route.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.