Author Topic: This is disturbing  (Read 6419 times)

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
This is disturbing
« on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:00 PM »
  This is the kind of crap I see on some other local threads .  One person's haul today and he posts pics like this frequently.  I told him it was insane his comment is " If I don't the lake will be overpopulated"  who made him the conservationist on any lake...JMO
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This is disturbing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:10 PM »
If his hands aren't sore yet they will be

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I fell the back pain coming on also...

Offline Bobber85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Down right greedy in my opinion  !

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Glad I only have to worry about 25 here!!!

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:27 PM »
And who made you the conservationist? 

I don't see anything that looks over the limit.

there is more to it than just following the "book" to being a good conservationist..
Got one goin'!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:35 PM »
Evidently it hasn't hurt the population yet.....
Duane

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Evidently it hasn't hurt the population yet.....
this coming from a guy who is worried about how another guy holds his rod
Geeshe make up your mind

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:02 PM »
He's short on his crappie limit ;D

My dad kept allot of fish. All went to good use. Whether it was Superbowl party or every time he had visitors at the campground he liked to cook fish. If someone keeping his limit of fish bothers you it would probably be best to mind your own business.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:06 PM »
If you'll look at it in perspective, those fish are rather small. Those decking boards are only 5-1/2" wide.

I see a 22" trout, an 11-12" Crappie and all the other fish are smaller with the pile of Gills averaging about 6". If he's within the regs and is eating them and not wasting them I don't really see a problem.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Like I said JMO and I will share it often. Agree to disagree I find it gluttonous.  I like my fish just like the rest of us but there is line drawn in my book of standards.  Hmm lets see I kill all the deer I am legally allowed and then whine about nothing the next year  same principle..

Offline iceholemorocco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:24 PM »
AND WE WONDER WHY WE CANT CATCH FISH ALL THE TIME!!! People will out fish a lake/pond PERIOD!!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Without any background info...it's hard to get worked up. Size of lake...fishing pressure ...too many small gills. Add to that the state of Indiana has decided...not to institute the 25 fish gill limit...which I am for...and that does leave everyone to legally take as many gills as they please. Be mad at the IDNR.

Paul

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Did I miss the vote for appointing the resident conservationist?

No need to harass someone who harvests fish within the rules just because you think they are "gluttonous". 

I don't see anything that looks over the limit or out of the regs.  I see no issue with the catch even if they are frequent as long as the fish aren't wasted.

Everybody has different opinions on how to manage lakes for panfish....many based on controlled pond samplings and methodologies....way to many variables to know which method is right (keep more or release more).

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:47 PM »
As long as he's within the rules I don't see where anyone has a right to bash the guy just because you don't agree with him.  Besides what's the difference if a guy fishes five times a week and keeps ten fish or if the same guy goes out one day a week and keeps fifty fish (just using fifty as the limit for the example) because in the end he's keeping fifty fish no matter how many times he goes out.   If you don't like you should take it up with the guys who make the rules. 

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:48 PM »
It is a public lake with no access until hardwater and people take advantage of it. My Dad lives on the lake as well as two uncles.  and several friends of mine

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:50 PM »
What's he use for bait dynamite

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:57 PM »
As long as he's within the rules I don't see where anyone has a right to bash the guy just because you don't agree with him.  Besides what's the difference if a guy fishes five times a week and keeps ten fish or if the same guy goes out one day a week and keeps fifty fish (just using fifty as the limit for the example) because in the end he's keeping fifty fish no matter how many times he goes out.   If you don't like you should take it up with the guys who make the rules.
Umm I think you just suggested my answer to this situation.   I could care less if you caught 25 each and every day if that's possible but to take this many on a regular basis. It is my opinion and I am expressing it .  I am not looking for anyone to take sides just don't see the point in it.

Offline bottom bouncer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Pics of large piles of dead fish don't do much for me personally. A shot with the happy angler/s displaying their catch on the ice with the buddies is much more interesting IMHO. I feel the same about a pic of the bloody deer with its tongue lolling out. Proud of your deer? You should be, take a cpl minutes to clean up the blood and pose the animal, goes much farther to show your a sportsman and not just out to kill something.
These little things help the appearance of the whole hunting and fishing community.
Being retired is turning into hard work!

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:00 PM »
So these are your dad's fish ;D

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:23 PM »
It is a public lake with no access until hardwater and people take advantage of it. My Dad lives on the lake as well as two uncles.  and several friends of mine

If it is a public lake with no access it sounds private.   Are people accessing it via a frozen creek or is someone allowing ice access where boat access is not available?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:43 PM »
The trout looks tasty!

Offline fishingfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2016, 11:27 PM »
Public or private it seems like an over harvest to me.  However I will be the first to admit I don't know the circumstances,  how many people caught the fish, how often that many fish are kept,  where the fish end up at.  I do know that catching that many fish at one time is getting harder to do especially on public waters.

Offline roll tide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2016, 03:02 AM »
This is why there is a push for a pan fish limit. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2016, 05:44 AM »
some of you would have a stroke, if you really fished every day, and seen all the fish that come out of some of our lakes. but what about the out of the way lil spots that dont get much pressure?  why dont they produce truck loads of jumbos?  in theory they should rite?  surely thousands die of old age then?

hogback lake:
when i was hanging there, 20yrs ago, that camp ground was a fraction of the size it is today.  back then there were probably 7-10 tooners(retired families man n wife) that hit the gills all summer long to the tune of 60-150 fish PER TOON, PER TRIP OUT.  thats 3days a week very very conservatively. then add in all the other people that were only weekenders.  thats a crapload of fish isnt it? especially when you see the small size of the lake. yet it seem to just keep on pumping out fish year after year.  sylvan is another one i have fished all my life and seen the same thing. only there were way more "tooners" out there.  thousands and thousands of fish a year. 
 to "fish out" an entire lake i think would be rare. to "fish out" an area/bay of a lake happens all the time.  it will ruin the spot for a while but more fish will filter in and repopulate it, over the next year.  the key is to be hitting them a couple weeks before the lurkers and "no skill" spot jumpers get word. lol  thats the advantage that the people that know how to find fish, have over everyone else.

they probably will, and have for generations, "fished down" your dads fish, but not hurt the lake.  just wait n see how many fish you and your dad catch next summer.  i bet you can fill the freezer yourselves. ;)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:06 AM »
that's like saying people who eat beef 3 or 4 times a week are destroying the cow population!! If he is legal I see no problem with it

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:00 AM »
I feed a group Saturday with atleast that many. No waist or gluttony. I'll start working on the next fry tonight. Most in the group don't fish but do pay taxes and truly love fresh fish whenever I can provide it. I really like knowing the fish I get are so appreciated. From the picture, which doesn't tell us much, looks to me as if he probable didn't hurt that lake at all. Only question is did or will they go to waist? I'm in favor of limits but can't criticize or judge without knowing a lot more than a photo shows.     

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:19 AM »
No they are not my dads fish stupid   They access it via an abandoned train track. This one persons haul and like I said catch a fair share in a daily basis. Catching that many fish does hinder the the cycle of the lake. The locals that do live on the lake frown upon it as well and yes I am upset with DNR for not passing regulations. Yes you don't know the whole story this person has also been caught ( bending the rules) during tournaments. It's about being a sportsman about it and having some integrity which is a far cry from society today. I served in the military for 22 yrs and it taught me respect which our younger generations don't know much about. Showing off a pile like that for one person's catch doesn't make you a good fisherman it's a lack of respect for property owners and fellow fisherman who attempt to ethical sportsman. Oh and by the way let's leave our trash on the ice as well.

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:27 AM »
probably the same guy that complains about the amish bed fishing!!!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:33 AM »
witch lake are we talking about Cook or Meyer the only too the old RR passes by
fishing is hard can I go home now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.