Author Topic: Power auger  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Power auger
« Reply #60 on: Dec 05, 2015, 10:10 PM »
That is a sweet deal. Love impact drivers.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 06, 2015, 06:40 AM »
The disc is $34.99 at PTO. It is well worth the price.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 06, 2015, 11:28 AM »
What drill were you using?  Were the lazer blades made in sweeden or china?  Huge difference and may have been ypur issue.  The m18 is brushless so there is not really much to burn up.  My guess is you were using some cheap drill as you are the only one I have heard of that fried one batteries yet alone 3.    Warranty should cover the handle if it was a Milwaukee.  Can't speak for others but I used mine for construction projects where it more than paid for itself twice already.  Any years from here on out are just gravy.   Every one year with a drill is like 4 years with power auger that can be used 3 months a year in IN.  After 4 full years of using the drill year round it may be time to get a new one just like it would be after 16 ice seasons at 3 months each for your gas auger. 

Maybe if you buy a gas auger you can buy a earth bit and do a side biz of putting in fence posts so you can use it the other 9 months. (Joking)

my 6" laser has the china blades and it cuts ice like butter. Stinky's synthetic does not cut quite as good. We can not figure out why as the synthetic on paper should out cut the regular china made Laser but it does not...Bricker confirmed it as well. It even cuts better then my 5" Laser with new sweedish blades. I am thinking it has something to do with blade pitch and maybe there is a quality control issue on the angle where the blade mounts are welded up? I also wonder if you can(overtime) alter the blade pitch by yanking the auger out of a old hole that has been opened up, effectively changing the blade angle for the worse?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 06, 2015, 01:28 PM »
my 6" laser has the china blades and it cuts ice like butter. Stinky's synthetic does not cut quite as good. We can not figure out why as the synthetic on paper should out cut the regular china made Laser but it does not...Bricker confirmed it as well. It even cuts better then my 5" Laser with new sweedish blades. I am thinking it has something to do with blade pitch and maybe there is a quality control issue on the angle where the blade mounts are welded up? I also wonder if you can(overtime) alter the blade pitch by yanking the auger out of a old hole that has been opened up, effectively changing the blade angle for the worse?

Neither of my lazers perform worth a crap with China blades.  I think it does have to do with pitch and angles on both the blade mounts and angle of the blades themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is a QC issue as you said.  If it is off by a 100th of an inch it could make a difference in how they cut.  I check my bolts ALOT too.  They can and do come loose.  If you think about how fine an edge is on those blades, they for sure can be damaged by yanking them out of holes where they catch or by dropping they blade end on the ice before drilling.  I see guys every year slam their Mora or lazer onto the ice somehow thinking that is how you start a hole.  No coincidence, their augers cut like crap once they start drilling.

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 06, 2015, 03:10 PM »

who is bricker?????? never seen him post anything on here

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 06, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Neither of my lazers perform worth a crap with China blades.  I think it does have to do with pitch and angles on both the blade mounts and angle of the blades themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is a QC issue as you said.  If it is off by a 100th of an inch it could make a difference in how they cut.  I check my bolts ALOT too.  They can and do come loose.  If you think about how fine an edge is on those blades, they for sure can be damaged by yanking them out of holes where they catch or by dropping they blade end on the ice before drilling.  I see guys every year slam their Mora or lazer onto the ice somehow thinking that is how you start a hole.  No coincidence, their augers cut like crap once they start drilling.

Also just remembered the Synthetic Lazers cut a bigger hole then the standard units. Stinky's 6" synthetic actually cuts a 6.5" hole, so that could be some of the difference too. Ya I agree on slamming the auger down...see it a lot! Last year this family walked out on the ice and a kind gentleman loaned his auger to them. They beat the hell out of his auger slamming it on the ice and what not. He walked over and took it back Lol. No wonder there was a blade missing on the family's auger.  ::)

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 06, 2015, 05:18 PM »

Most likely the angle pitch as you stated.

The guy that sharpens my blades always leaves a slip sheet in the package with information for shimming the blades as the angle can get off slightly over time.  Basically it is a thin piece of aluminum from a beer can.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Most likely the angle pitch as you stated.

The guy that sharpens my blades always leaves a slip sheet in the package with information for shimming the blades as the angle can get off slightly over time.  Basically it is a thin piece of aluminum from a beer can.
Before I even read this last comment I was thinking the same. I've heard of foil or beer cans can save a day on the ice with a small change in angle.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:00 PM »
My buddy works for nipsco is lending me the trailor auger tbey got for digging telephone pole holes just attach to small truck or atv and it will drill all day maybe even build a shanty around the auger I will see how big it is soon I will out drill all this thing is mounted
On trailor with its own brakes on trailor

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:16 AM »
You will definitely be the envy of the lake

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Got the drill.  Out of all my tools this Milwaukee Fuel is hands down the best.   Any suggestions for attachments to a Lazer 7?  After research I think the clam plate is too primo for me.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:50 PM »
call PTO Nim, he has adapters.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Does anyone read the previous comments ??? If you did you would see that I already recommended Jim from pto and his disc attachment.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:50 AM »
Does anyone read the previous comments ??? If you did you would see that I already recommended Jim from pto and his disc attachment.
my bad I see that the post was in the general ice fishing chit chat. My apologies.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.