Author Topic: Power auger  (Read 5498 times)

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Power auger
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2015, 04:36 PM »
I have no experience with a dewalt and all drills and batteries are definitely not made the same.  I do know for a fact the Milwaukee batteries (red lithium XC series) do not mind the cold.  I had them out last year during temps at 0 or just above and they are not affected.  We had over 20 inches of ice last year here measured with a tape and I know I drilled 50+ holes with a 6" lazer in 5 degree temps thru 18+ inches ( I don't need a bigger hole for panfish) and I still had 2 of the four bars on the first battery and 4 of 4 bars on the second battery in my bucket.  You can now get 5.0 XC 18 V batteries for the Milwaukee as my kit came with the 4.0 XC's, so those will provide even longer power.  I usually drill holes for a group of guys, so it has got more than 50 holes nearly every time out during last years thick ice (for IN) and never batted an eye.  Only one day did it drain the 1st battery and that was after probably 80+ holes in 18" and I had not charged it from the day prior where I only used it to open up 20 or 30 holes that had a skim too thick to kick open and it still showed 4 bars on the battery so I did not charge it.  If I had a need for an 8" auger I would put a lazer on the new Milwaukee with the 5 amp batteries.  With sharp blades on the auger and the torque that drill can provide it should have no issues cutting holes.  My drill has already easily paid for itself twice or more due to the ability to use it all year for stuff around the house, on the job site, or during side jobs.

That's pretty good then.  But like I said, it'd be interesting to compare at 8". Funny how you find something that works great for you and not for others.  I'm impressed after doing a little research on the M18. Intrigued enough to price check some in the area.
The moral here is: Not all cordless drills are created equal.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2015, 04:40 PM »
I'd be interested to know how many holes you can actually drill with the the M18 through 12" of ice on a single battery.
With an 8" auger...

Reason I say this is because last season (and the start of this season if it ever comes) I use a 20v brushless DeWalk with LiIon batterys and a 6" Nils. It does work well but I have a hard time drilling more than 20 holes per battery when the ice is 12+ inches thick.

I bought an Eskimo Mako w/ an 8" auger this fall because it's easier to fish with an 8" hole using a flasher and I don't like having to keep the batteries somewhere in my jacket to stay warm.

To each their own but there's some days I drill over 100 holes searching for suspended crappies and I don't want my batteries to go dead and be hung drilling holes all over a basin by hand.

This topic has been covered well if you care to search. I was one of the first few to get the M18 fuel series here. Let me say your Dewalt does not compare unless it is the newest model from 2014 on up. The 2014 M18 fuel series with XC 4.0 battery cut 90 holes through 12-14" of ice with a 6" laser. I had guys betting me money on the ice that their Dewalts, Rigids, and Makitas could keep up. Next time around I seen those guys with M18 drills. lol.

Some of the other brands have caught up and are making better drills, so Milwaukee is not the only company where you can get a good performing drill that has batteries that are not sensitive to the cold...it's just Milwaukee was the first to come out with that technology somewhere around 2013 and the other companies have been playing catch up.

The new 2015 M18 with 1300in lb of tq combined with the new XC 5.0 battery could more then likely match the performance of its predecessor  with a 8" Laser. Electric drill technology has come along way in the last couple years...game changer!!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2015, 12:44 AM »
Mrpike. you sound like a real piece of work.

Dang were not doing so well in our advice more of a debate lately lol. No big deal it happens were all passionate about the sport. As far as power augers I did like the propane that I had but after slayer put tons of research into the drills and came up with the m18 beast I found a good home for the propane. It's a no brainer imo m18 weighed less and drills holes faster starts by pulling a trigger. Im always open minded and change up if it helps my game. I've met some great guys though this sight and hope to meet more this year. Like First Seargant said though eletric is becoming more and more popular batteries have come along way and less messy compared to fuel. If your set on a power auger check out the propane setups. I like mine better than the gas just easier imo instead of hauling gas and getting it all over. If your open minded though I'd definetely go eletric drill setup if you like the 8" or 10" hole get the m18 1200lb torgue beast but I'd definitely look at a clam plate for two hands. 1200lb wrist twist would feel wonderful! K drill auger looks interesting but I haven't used one. Nils has an auger setup specifically for drills and they probably have the sharpest blades in the industry. I personally use the 6" Lazer synthetic ice easy to get off won't build up on those cold days.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2015, 06:17 AM »
I'm going to sell my m18 2604-22 because I'm very interested in one of the Dewalks with Lilon batteries ;D

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:31 AM »
I'm thinking about a project along this line and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the auger grabbing or binding in the hole while drilling? I've never used the drill setup, but I'm leery of the 500 rpm combined with 1200 in lbs and a sudden stop when the blades catch. Any mechanical failures due to torque?

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Comparing gas augers to electric augers is not a fair comparison.  Electric augers work better in some situations and gas augers perform better in other situations.  It all depends on what kind of fishing you do.  I run both.  Dewalt with drill plate early and local; Strikemaster Lazer Mag 10" on big water and later in the season.

There is no "better".  Both excel in different applications.  They both have their place.

Steuben1

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:24 AM »
First off Gillhunter97 was asking about cheap power augers. The Eskimo mako at Cabelas right now is $320. Gillhunter97 you would not be disappointed.
you can get the drill not on sale for 275$ and the auger and auger adapter for less than 100$ for a total of less than 375$. so we are 55$ more than your quote of 320$. but you can get those on sale and pay less. and, you have a great tool for all year use and no gas and oil costs and gas storage (unneeded explosion/fire hazard).

there has never been a time i couldn't drill a hole and plenty of them with a drill and it only had 600 inch pounds of torque. now i have one with 780 inch pounds.
the foot print in my sled is tiny compared to a gas engine and handles.
like i said before those who have them need to like them because they spent good money on them just like any other expensive tool or decision they have made.
right now the op did not make his decision and we are trying to help him buy smart. he doesn't live where the ice will be so thick a drill can't cut it. so it is a smart choice for most of us. what ever he does buy, he will like it, at least for a while, but that's not the point tho.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:36 AM »
I have found the 2604-22 for under 249.00 if you look around.

Here is how much my setup cost.

2604-22 M18 - 249.00

Drill adapter with disk - 15.00

6" Lazer - 85.00

Total - 339.00

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Comparing gas augers to electric augers is not a fair comparison.  Electric augers work better in some situations and gas augers perform better in other situations.  It all depends on what kind of fishing you do.  I run both.  Dewalt with drill plate early and local; Strikemaster Lazer Mag 10" on big water and later in the season.

There is no "better".  Both excel in different applications.  They both have their place.

Steuben1

I agree with this in that if you spend every weekend on erie chasing 8 to 12 lb walleye and are hauling gear with a machine, space and weight are not much of an issue.   But for fishing in IN, where walleye are more common in the 2 to 6 lb range and the rest of the fish are panfish other than pike, a 6" hole is normally all you need.  The newer drills will turn an 8"  if that's what one wants.  I can turn an 8 " lazer using my ice gator if needed for pike or something big and I am sure the drill would beat it as it does with a 6 inch lazer, I have never had the need to put an 8 inch bit on the drill.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2015, 11:25 AM »
I'm thinking about a project along this line and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the auger grabbing or binding in the hole while drilling? I've never used the drill setup, but I'm leery of the 500 rpm combined with 1200 in lbs and a sudden stop when the blades catch. Any mechanical failures due to torque?

For safety  I always  attached the hammer drill handle and make sure it is tight when using the drill as a power auger.  I don't have the issue some do with their auger catching at the bottom of the ice, but I change my blades a couple times a season too.  Not sure if that is why or not.  You definitely need to pay attention when using the drill and have a firm grip.  If it caught on ice or something frozen into the ice you can't see,  it certainly has the power and torque to hurt your wrist.  I know about 8 people that used m18 setup last year and have not heard of any mechanical  failures due to torque. 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Thanks wax, I saw where Milwaukee changed the diameter of the driveshaft connecting the chuck to the gearbox from 1/2" to 9/16" on the newer, 2015 model drill so I was curious if there had been any issues with breakage. I have a new unit on the way, #2704-20, and I'm preparing to build a drill plate for it that has a direct drive as well as a 2:1 ratio for driving a larger auger.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Thanks wax, I saw where Milwaukee changed the diameter of the driveshaft connecting the chuck to the gearbox from 1/2" to 9/16" on the newer, 2015 model drill so I was curious if there had been any issues with breakage. I have a new unit on the way, #2704-20, and I'm preparing to build a drill plate for it that has a direct drive as well as a 2:1 ratio for driving a larger auger.

Keep us posted Spark on how that turns out! Clam thing ok but there could hopefully be better imo.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 05, 2015, 03:19 PM »
What power auger do you prefer for cheaper? I hear the Eskimo ones are cheap. You tell me. Looking to pick one up this winter. What do you guys think of the jiffy power augers?

How often do you ice fish for species where you need larger than a 6" hole?  Given your username, probably not very often.  I fish for panfish 95% of the time, so I paired a 4.5" Nils USA Cordless Drill Auger with a Milwaukee M18.  The drill and Nils set up is awesome, and 15" bass fit through that little hole just fine.  If I'm going to be running tip ups for pike or the ice isn't very thick then I'll bring my 6" Lazer hand auger instead.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2015, 06:40 PM »
It's awesome to see all the experienced ice guys share what would be the best.  After all the YouTube and comments I just want to confirm:
Can I swing a 8in Lazer in Indiana with an M18?  2015 fuel series k drill.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2015, 06:52 PM »
It's awesome to see all the experienced ice guys share what would be the best.  After all the YouTube and comments I just want to confirm:
Can I swing a 8in Lazer in Indiana with an M18?  2015 fuel series k drill.

Not sure what u mean by 2015 fuel series k drill.  You want the m18 fuel 1/2" or 9/16" hammer drill with the 5.0xc red lithium batteries.  This should turn an 8 inch lazer with good blades.  Unless pike fishing I am not sure why you want an 8" hole.  You can cut more holes and faster with 6".  Maybe a 7 " is the best of both worlds?

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:00 PM »
M18 Fuel hammer drill m2704-20.
, sorry all the tool talk got me.
I have a 6 mora and 8 Lazer in the garage.  Just curious about the 8.
If the drill is that good with a 6 then I'm not worried.  When Im pressed for time with 1lb test I like more water.  I'm new at this so it gets hard to turn heads on 11 inch gills with a tickle stick.

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:07 PM »
my experience with a drill lazer setup ild say no the 6 inch i was running (new blades not even resharpened ones) put enough torque on the drill to fry 3 batteries and snap the hammer drill handle on me last year.  in the long run as long as you really take care of it a strikemaster honda lite would be the best purchase at 23lbs not much heavier youcan use up the extra gas from your lawn mower and no mixing oil and it will have everything you need to turn out an 8 inch hole.  what every forgets about cordless drills is if you use em they will wear out ya you dont have to buy 1 gallon of gas to make it a full year (man thatld be alot of holes) on the ice wow worst case scenario 315 for recreational gas (no ethanol) an occasional carb rebuild (maybe every 5-10 years on mean come on when was the last time you had one rebuilt on your lawnmower or chainsaw) oh no wat at most 30-40 dollars to get it done but with a cordless every 2-4 years you are gonna go drop 150-200 on batteries probably be replacein the drill every 4-6 years cause an 8 inch auger no matter how many lbs of torque it has is going to burn it up.  now you can justify the drill by saying well i use it around the house to hang pictures or who knows what year round. but a 30 dollar cheapy from menards would do it just as well and like i said in the begining i think in the long run gas is at the top of the food chain in the auger world but its also gona cost you alot more up front

oh on a further note im puttin up a fence next week and was wondering if one of you guys who have a fancy milwaukee would let me borrow it to run my 6 in earth auger

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:12 PM »
sorry the last part was just to be mean

Offline mr.pike12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:20 PM »
I love the 8 inch hole. Lose less fish and do not have to pull transducer for every gill, sometimes you have to still pull it but a lot less. More light down the hole for crappies at night. And I like to catch big bass, walleye, and pike so the 8 inch hole is way better. Wouldn't mind a 10 inch.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:38 PM »
M18 Fuel hammer drill m2704-20.
, sorry all the tool talk got me.
I have a 6 mora and 8 Lazer in the garage.  Just curious about the 8.
If the drill is that good with a 6 then I'm not worried.  When Im pressed for time with 1lb test I like more water.  I'm new at this so it gets hard to turn heads on 11 inch gills with a tickle stick.

Hopefully someone who uses a 8 inch lazer on one will chime in.  I know I would not run the 6inch Mora on there as a trial to see how it works.  A 6 inch lazer is a much better auger than a Mora.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:41 PM »
@dsqui-
Thanks for sharing.  I respect all the veteran IN ice guys saying that 20 in of ice is not a regular thing in Indiana, and I agree.  I watched my cuz struggle with a dewalt last season on cloudy ice in below zeto temps.  I was like Vietnam digging in refrozen ice with 4inch drops snow covered refrozen.  That at Being said It Was Like Going To A Monster Truck show at the RCA Dome on the ice...all the gas auger guys couldn't start'm up.  Then dudes were coming over to his holes and becoming buddies without asking if we could be friends.  When the holes we left a few feet away from us we having 13 inch crappie getting put in the bucket, it kinda of made us feel like the Detroit Lions Thursday.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:45 PM »
The Detroit Lions secondary defense is comparable to a gas auger....it just stands behind a receiver and let's him catch the ball...or dig a hole in the ice for this situation. 

Offline mr.pike12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I do not understand everyone saying power augers don't start. My Eskimo got hit by a snow plow and was buried under a couple feet of snow for a week. When I finally found it I pulled it out and it had no scratches and started very first pull. True story. My Eskimo always starts right away. Maybe they're just really old ones that rarely get used??

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:01 PM »
my experience with a drill lazer setup ild say no the 6 inch i was running (new blades not even resharpened ones) put enough torque on the drill to fry 3 batteries and snap the hammer drill handle on me last year.  in the long run as long as you really take care of it a strikemaster honda lite would be the best purchase at 23lbs not much heavier youcan use up the extra gas from your lawn mower and no mixing oil and it will have everything you need to turn out an 8 inch hole.  what every forgets about cordless drills is if you use em they will wear out ya you dont have to buy 1 gallon of gas to make it a full year (man thatld be alot of holes) on the ice wow worst case scenario 315 for recreational gas (no ethanol) an occasional carb rebuild (maybe every 5-10 years on mean come on when was the last time you had one rebuilt on your lawnmower or chainsaw) oh no wat at most 30-40 dollars to get it done but with a cordless every 2-4 years you are gonna go drop 150-200 on batteries probably be replacein the drill every 4-6 years cause an 8 inch auger no matter how many lbs of torque it has is going to burn it up.  now you can justify the drill by saying well i use it around the house to hang pictures or who knows what year round. but a 30 dollar cheapy from menards would do it just as well and like i said in the begining i think in the long run gas is at the top of the food chain in the auger world but its also gona cost you alot more up front

oh on a further note im puttin up a fence next week and was wondering if one of you guys who have a fancy milwaukee would let me borrow it to run my 6 in earth auger

What drill were you using?  Were the lazer blades made in sweeden or china?  Huge difference and may have been ypur issue.  The m18 is brushless so there is not really much to burn up.  My guess is you were using some cheap drill as you are the only one I have heard of that fried one batteries yet alone 3.    Warranty should cover the handle if it was a Milwaukee.  Can't speak for others but I used mine for construction projects where it more than paid for itself twice already.  Any years from here on out are just gravy.   Every one year with a drill is like 4 years with power auger that can be used 3 months a year in IN.  After 4 full years of using the drill year round it may be time to get a new one just like it would be after 16 ice seasons at 3 months each for your gas auger. 

Maybe if you buy a gas auger you can buy a earth bit and do a side biz of putting in fence posts so you can use it the other 9 months. (Joking)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:10 PM »
I do not understand everyone saying power augers don't start. My Eskimo got hit by a snow plow and was buried under a couple feet of snow for a week. When I finally found it I pulled it out and it had no scratches and started very first pull. True story. My Eskimo always starts right away. Maybe they're just really old ones that rarely get used??

I am only going by what I have witnessed in 35 years on the ice.  That last 2 years I saw lots of guys with gas augers due to the amount of ice we had.  I don't recall seeing a single one start on the first pull.  Many, once started, died again as soon as they hit the throttle, and they would start pulling the cord again.  Buddy has a propane and that would start first or second pull every time, but not the gas ones.  I think you may be correct in that many don't take proper care of them, but again that is part of the advantage of the drill setup, there is virtually zero maintenance regarding gas, oil, stabilizing for off season, carbs, etc.  I am glad your gas auger works for you, but every year there are more and more drills on the ice.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:17 PM »
What model Milwaukee do you recommend?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:36 PM »

For $299 The new 1200lb torgue model and two 5.0 batteries will be plenty of holes. The 1200lb way more than you need mines 700lb torgue but for the price difference and two of the 5.0 batteries it's worth the extra imo. Two of the 5.0 batteries run $199. Pair that up with the Nils or if you already have a lazer of other auger that works then pick up a drill adapter that has a  disk do if the auger would for some reason come off the drill it won't fall through the ice hole. Adapters run around 20 bucks Jim had them in stock at PTO of you live close by or he could ship you one.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Kit-2704-22/206211755?keyword=2704-22&AID=10368321&PID=1796839&SID=118481119&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1796839-_-10368321&cj=true

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:44 PM »

If I were to buy one this year it would be this kit.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2704-22

5 yr warranty on drill and 3 yr warranty on batteries.  This drill has up to 1200 in lbs of torque and has 2 of the 5.0 xc batteries.  The kits are all over eBay for 299.00 or less with free shipping.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:01 PM »
Thanks wax & stinky

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:16 PM »
I bought this one, as I liked the idea of having the impact driver as well. Home Depot is offering a special right now, buy the kit for $399, and purchase another Milwaukee tool and get $150 off. We opted for a 12 volt drill for the house, ($99), so we spent $500 but with the discount we got it all for $350. Two drills, an impact driver, two 18 volt batteries, (5.0 ah) two 12 volt batteries, two battery chargers, and two cases.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2897-22/206211756

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.