Author Topic: Best drill to use with a 6 inch Lazer Auger  (Read 6983 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Best drill to use with a 6 inch Lazer Auger
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Sorry you are so uninformed. 7 year warrenty. 100-1 mixture. No order or mess.

These motors have been available all winter on ebay from 300.00 to 349.00.  My last one was a month ago for 300.00 with free shipping. These Tanaka 270 are the most bullet proof motor out there. If you think that your Battery drill will out drill one of these you have a lot to learn. Yes you can use your drill all year. You can also use this drill all year. It is a gas drill to begin with. The chuck is removed and the auger adapters installed.

I believe the op was asking about a battery powered drill, not a gas powered landscapers post hole/flower bulb auger head.

It might be good for what you need on the ice, but I am done lugging around heavy augers when a drill combo that weighs all of about 7 or 8 lbs with the auger on it will do as good or better with no gas or oil or modifications required to use it on the ice or in the home.  Never heard of odorless gas.  ??? ???.  Cheapest on ebay is 420.00 for some corer thing and ~500.00 for the drills and no torque listed in the specs.  I have seen them drill on youtube and your Tanaka with a nils barely beat a strikemaster and the fuel will drill circles around one of those.  Weight is an issue too.  At 12-15 lbs without a bit it is not something that is going to be fun to lug around.  Use that in the offseason as a drill?  For what? digging post holes?  Planting Tulips?  What about for indoor use?  That won't fit in most places where a drill is actually needed, would not be useful  for putting screws in or as a hammer drill or for using over your head or with one hand.  How about fumes in the house?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I use a craftsman  with 6" lazer.  6" hole I have lost a lot of big fish this season.  I am going back to my 8" or larger holes. SO instead of buying a drill dewalt or sears $120 then a 4 amp hour battery$96 on sale then a $100 lazer hand drill.  Iam going to spend $499 on amazon for a strikemaster 50 volt 8" drill.  I am tired of loosing big fish at the hole as they slam the edge trying to get thru it then  spittiing the hook back at me.  Its not worth loosing one big fish in a tournament just so you can save a few pounds of weight.   The quiet or noisy above the ice the fish cant hear.  the thicker the ice the quieter it is down there.  on glare ice they are more spooked by shadows than noise.  Just my 2 cents worth.    I am going back to 8 9 or 10 inch drills.  the thicker the ice the bigger the drill.  The rest is a waste of my efforts and money.  Hey waxie where can I get one of those drills thats interesting.

Follow the link on page one of the thread in Stinkybaits post.  Make sure you get the right model.  I have not seen one used on an 8" auger but I bet it would turn it with ease with the amount of torque it has.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Play nice guys. Don't turn this in to a  :%$#!: contest. Just have a friend who is getting old and ask me what was the best drill for this .

I gave you the answer. Your friend will buy you a steak dinner after he buys one or possibly steak your heart! It's light it's fast and lasts. It's the Energizer bunny of drilling holes. That kit comes with 2 extended life 4.0 batteries way more holes than your buddy is going to ever drill. I carry 5 just for the day I need to drill 1000 holes. I've been over 300 in a day easily several times but I can't sit around and not be waiting like the majority do. If your buddy is only going to drill under 60 holes then you might want to look at Rigids biggest baddest drill through Home Depot lifetime warranty on Batteries drill everything so I've seen posted by a moderator that seems pretty spot on. Not you JT I didn't say CRAZY Erie maniac! The best drill however is the one I posted and you wanted the best in your question. Check out all the reviews. Google hole drilling contests ect. It destroys Everything in its category. It's lightweight durable and could care less about the freezing single digit or below zero days. Fishslayer gets the credit however for the research. He's the only person I've ever met more anal about researching anything before he buys it. JT I think ANAL is ok?  ??? ;D

Offline smoke_eater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:28 PM »
I have a strikemaster 6" lazer on a rigid 18v drill and thought it was the berries until last Tuesday night when it dipped down below zero and my drill froze up! First time that it has happened to me but it happened! To put the cherry on top the adapter froze up and couldn't  put my handle back on to start drilling by hand so my night was cut short! I took my gas powered auger for a tune up and will use back up latex gloves to not get fuel on the old fingers!
Any of you others have any experience with your battery powered drills freezing up?
Greatest quote ever "Whatcha going to do...fish your life away"...well hell yes!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I have a strikemaster 6" lazer on a rigid 18v drill and thought it was the berries until last Tuesday night when it dipped down below zero and my drill froze up! First time that it has happened to me but it happened! To put the cherry on top the adapter froze up and couldn't  put my handle back on to start drilling by hand so my night was cut short! I took my gas powered auger for a tune up and will use back up latex gloves to not get fuel on the old fingers!
Any of you others have any experience with your battery powered drills freezing up?

Have not had that problem.  Did it get into the water or slush?  I can't see it just freezing up unless it got water on it somehow.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:48 PM »

I lost a clam pop up last year on a night that was well below zero actual temp. Could not get it down and it finally broke when I forced it. I was rather heated at that point though as I've never had that great of luck with any Clam product. Anyhow the Milwaukee drill never had any issues.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:09 PM »
I lost a clam pop up last year on a night that was well below zero actual temp. Could not get it down and it finally broke when I forced it. I was rather heated at that point though as I've never had that great of luck with any Clam product. Anyhow the Milwaukee drill never had any issues.

LOL...I would have liked to have that on the go pro!!  How many pieces were strewn about the ice when you were done with it?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:11 PM »
It was a big pile of bent up mess. Drug it off the ice like that lol.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:25 AM »
Here's a review of the Milwaukee beast lighting up the competition. Nothing comes close in fact the rest of the companies should just fire their engineers from the embarrassing beat down.  ;D
http://www.coptool.com/18v-hammer-drill-showdown-bosch-dewalt-makita-milwaukee/

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Here's a review of the Milwaukee beast lighting up the competition. Nothing comes close in fact the rest of the companies should just fire their engineers from the embarrassing beat down.  ;D
http://www.coptool.com/18v-hammer-drill-showdown-bosch-dewalt-makita-milwaukee/

Looks like the Makita edged out the Milwaukee when the 2014 models were tested?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Only on weight. It was a pound lighter other than that it performed the worse out of the group.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Ah, you may want to check that...the link you posted was the test performed during 2012...that same page contained a link for the very same test run on the new models, 2014. Those will be the drills available on the shelves now.

http://www.coptool.com/18v-brushless-hammer-drill-showdown-2-dewalt-vs-milwaukee-vs-makita-vs-bosch/

Offline smoke_eater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Have not had that problem.  Did it get into the water or slush?  I can't see it just freezing up unless it got water on it somehow.
Nope...no water or slush! I think that it was the -30 wind chills! I'm gonna have to look at the Milwaukee!
Greatest quote ever "Whatcha going to do...fish your life away"...well hell yes!!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Ah, you may want to check that...the link you posted was the test performed during 2012...that same page contained a link for the very same test run on the new models, 2014. Those will be the drills available on the shelves now.

http://www.coptool.com/18v-brushless-hammer-drill-showdown-2-dewalt-vs-milwaukee-vs-makita-vs-bosch/

Read carefully...

1) The new Makita edges the Milwaukee in TQ but it did not drill any more holes on a charge.

2)  Makita batteries have always been terrible when it comes to longevity. Hopefully this has changed.

3) Milwaukee released the new 5.0 red lithium Ion battery in late 2014 for another 20-25% life.

4) Milwaukee's Red Lithium Ion batteries are not effected by cold weather. They are rated to perform down to -19 C. This is by far the biggest advantage for Mil and why I bought the drill. I am guessing others will follow suit with battery technology if not already.

The bottom line is Milwaukee paved the way for brushless technology and long life batteries. Take the time and do the research like I did and read more then 1 site that tests drills.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:53 AM »
Read carefully...

1) The new Makita edges the Milwaukee in TQ but it did not drill any more holes on a charge.

2)  Makita batteries have always been terrible when it comes to longevity. Hopefully this has changed.

3) Milwaukee released the new 5.0 red lithium Ion battery in late 2014 for another 20-25% life.

4) Milwaukee's Red Lithium Ion batteries are not effected by cold weather. They are rated to perform down to -19 C. This is by far the biggest advantage for Mil and why I bought the drill. I am guessing others will follow suit with battery technology if not already.

The bottom line is Milwaukee paved the way for brushless technology and long life batteries. Take the time and do the research like I did and read more then 1 site that tests drills.

Believe me, I have. Currently working on a project that involves this exact comparison.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:02 AM »
      You don't run in hammer mode, just drill mode!   It is supposed to have a "heavier" transmission so to speak!!

No you don't put it on hammer mode. You want the added handle. For the money it's a nice option for other projects like drilling into cement.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:13 AM »

Your right it was older link. But the Makita is heavier and batteries don't look worth a darn in the cold still. Tied with Milwaukee on the test. I'd still go Milwaukee as it will toast it on ice until Makita catches it's battery technology up. Milwaukee leads the pack while other companies continue to chase their technology. It's hard keeping up with the best!  ;D

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I think I may be persuaded to go electric...  Was planning on buying Jiffy's PRO4 Lite 8 inch.  The issue I have is paying all that money to have it sit 9 months out of the year and then the additional cost of ownership for propane cylinders.  I really like the idea of utilizing the drill during ice season then also being able to use it around the house the rest of the year; no seasonality!  Plus the weight factor is huge, believe the Jiffy power auger came in at 28 lbs for the 8 inch.

However these drills are getting pricy!!!  I like the power Milwaukee is suppose to deliver, believe it is 725 in-lbs of torque with warranty on batteries of 3 years and tool itself 5 years.

Would it be a worthwhile trade off for a little less torque but lifetime warranty on tool and batteries?  I am eyeing Ridgid's X4 18V hammer drill, 615 in-lbs of torque, model # R8611501K at $279 with free Lifetime Service Agreement.  Could probably get it for a better price around father's day.

I would be interested in hearing input on this.

Thanks!
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:51 AM »
I think I may be persuaded to go electric...  Was planning on buying Jiffy's PRO4 Lite 8 inch.  The issue I have is paying all that money to have it sit 9 months out of the year and then the additional cost of ownership for propane cylinders.  I really like the idea of utilizing the drill during ice season then also being able to use it around the house the rest of the year; no seasonality!  Plus the weight factor is huge, believe the Jiffy power auger came in at 28 lbs for the 8 inch.

However these drills are getting pricy!!!  I like the power Milwaukee is suppose to deliver, believe it is 725 in-lbs of torque with warranty on batteries of 3 years and tool itself 5 years.

Would it be a worthwhile trade off for a little less torque but lifetime warranty on tool and batteries?  I am eyeing Ridgid's X4 18V hammer drill, 615 in-lbs of torque, model # R8611501K at $279 with free Lifetime Service Agreement.  Could probably get it for a better price around father's day.

I would be interested in hearing input on this.

Thanks!

Warranty and torque is useless if the batteries just flat out suck in the cold.  Lithium batteries were/are notorious for suffering in the cold.  Milwaukee has batteries that do not take a hit in the cold.  Others are trying to do the same, but many are still using older technology that works fine in temps well above freezing but struggle in the cold.  I would want to see proof that Rigid batteries do not suffer in the cold before I even thought about trading torque and gaining warranty.  You also need to make sure Rigid's warranty would cover ice drilling as they are not designed for that.  It may void the warranty.  It doesn't with Milwaukee as I know someone that ruined the chuck on his brand new one trying to remove it for the clam plate and they covered it no questions asked even when he told them how he broke the chuck and what he was going to use it for. 

You could get the tanaka and plant some flowers for your wife with it in the offseason!   ::)

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Your right it was older link. But the Makita is heavier and batteries don't look worth a darn in the cold still. Tied with Milwaukee on the test. I'd still go Milwaukee as it will toast it on ice until Makita catches it's battery technology up. Milwaukee leads the pack while other companies continue to chase their technology. It's hard keeping up with the best!  ;D

Seems they have caught up.........?

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Accessories/AccessoryDetails.aspx?ID=730142

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Haha...I do need to plant her some flowers and a few trees this spring...however, even in the offseason I do not like gas on my hands.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:07 PM »

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Accessories/AccessoryDetails.aspx?ID=730142

This is the main reason why I went Milwaukee aside from doing a bunch of research.

http://icefishingtoday.com/ice-fishing-products/k-drill-electric-ice-auger-system/

If these guys say the Milwaukee is the go to drill, then it probably is. Like I said in my previous post, Makita, Dewalt, Porter Cable will all catch up and match Milwaukee's technology, but why go with a company that is playing catch up opposed to paving the way?

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #52 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:33 PM »
This is the main reason why I went Milwaukee aside from doing a bunch of research.

http://icefishingtoday.com/ice-fishing-products/k-drill-electric-ice-auger-system/

If these guys say the Milwaukee is the go to drill, then it probably is. Like I said in my previous post, Makita, Dewalt, Porter Cable will all catch up and match Milwaukee's technology, but why go with a company that is playing catch up opposed to paving the way?

I also own a M-18 fuel( 2604 ), and i bought it because of good reviews. I've had a couple issues with it, but still believe in it....but at over 1000 ft lbs of torque in the Makita now,, and new 5.0 batterys out, i don't think they're  playing to much  catch up technology to other brands.. I'm not saying one is superior to the other, just stating the others seem to be playing catch up now. I'm wondering what might give with over 1000 lb's torque. I bound up my auger twice, as it was breaking thru the bottom of the ice, and sheared the chuck retaining screw both times, and was told by a Milwaukee customer service rep, that it did'nt surprise him at all, because of the torque it delivers. It's only a 6mm bolt, so i'll see what happens to the new one. The rep said it was'nt really designed for that use, and try to be as gentle as i could with it.   

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:41 PM »

Hey even the Turtle caught up against the rabbit and won that race! Rabbit will be back!!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:36 PM »
I also own a M-18 fuel( 2604 ), and i bought it because of good reviews. I've had a couple issues with it, but still believe in it....but at over 1000 ft lbs of torque in the Makita now,, and new 5.0 batterys out, i don't think they're  playing to much  catch up technology to other brands.. I'm not saying one is superior to the other, just stating the others seem to be playing catch up now. I'm wondering what might give with over 1000 lb's torque. I bound up my auger twice, as it was breaking thru the bottom of the ice, and sheared the chuck retaining screw both times, and was told by a Milwaukee customer service rep, that it did'nt surprise him at all, because of the torque it delivers. It's only a 6mm bolt, so i'll see what happens to the new one. The rep said it was'nt really designed for that use, and try to be as gentle as i could with it.

Milwaukee released the 5.0 ah battery in November 2014 before Makita later did in December of 2014...sure looks like Makita is playing catch up to me. Aside from that there is no need for more Tq for drilling ice...725in lbs is plenty for cutting  holes and some. Aside from that,  how hard do you think 1000in lbs would be on the chuck and clutch? Breaking the chuck retaining screw sounds like a issue with your auger.  Stinky and I combined have drilled 3000 holes with our drills and have not broke anything or had a issue. We keep sharp Auger blades and make sure the the base where the blades bolt up to have not changed pitch from yanking the auger out of old holes or holes that were drilled at a angle. Its no different then trying to drill steel or concrete with dull bits.

I seen a guy earlier this season on the Ice that had a Rigid last year that he raved about. After he seen the M18 in action I noticed he had one this year too. Unfortunately he had it mated to a 8" Lazer with blades that would not cut butter. It amazes me somebody will spend 300.00 to change drills but will not folk out 40.00 for a set of new blades.

Fwiw I am not trying to be bias, if the Makita proves to be a superior drill and I have a issue with my Milwaukee, then I would switch if need be.  As of right now I do not see that happening.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:46 PM »
When it comes to power tools and automobiles, I don't think it's possible to have too much power. I do agree that that much torque may well expose the weak link in the system, however.

Offline the kingfishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:09 PM »
I just went and bought me a MILWAUKEE 2604-22 just got bak from pond down street from house THIS THING EATS THE ICE UP 15inches in mere seconds :o and I've attached it to a 5inch mora auger. THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE GREAT ADVICE. I LOVE IT ;D

Offline billyex99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:14 PM »
I've got the exact same setup tater!  Dewalt works great!

x3

Offline tgskidoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:18 PM »
I used Milwaukee  last night 85 - 90 holes on one battery. Not sure it was  full charged but made one guy come over and ask about it.  I made  the guy with gas augar look like a fool I was drilling while he was pulling to get gas one going.
I say it will drill 2-3 holes to one the gas augar does.

Offline the kingfishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:21 PM »
   Spend the $60 and get the plate you tightwads!!Don't worry about loosing auger then!!
Just go out an buy a hard white plastic cutting board. That you would use in your kitchen then uase a jig saw to cut it to size. Drill a hole the size of the shaft slip it down drill another hole thru auger shaft put a pin to hold it an cost $5-$10 plus a little of your time drilling an sawing to size. EASY AN CHEAP. ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.