Author Topic: Best drill to use with a 6 inch Lazer Auger  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
Best drill to use with a 6 inch Lazer Auger
« on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:38 AM »
OK What is the best drill you can use with a Lazer Auger. :-\
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best drill to use with a 6 inch Lazer Auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Milwaukee 18v lithium or any 24 volt set up.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:54 AM »
I'm sure there are others, but i'm using a M-18 fuel, paired with a 5" lazer, and it's unstoppable,imo. Cut many holes each trip out, and have'nt yet had to go to a back-up battery. Very pleased....!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Milwaukee 18V lithium   2604-22 is what I use!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I'm sure there are others, but i'm using a M-18 fuel, paired with a 5" lazer, and it's unstoppable,imo. Cut many holes each trip out, and have'nt yet had to go to a back-up battery. Very pleased....!

I have this also, but with a 6" lazer.  I have made it to the second battery once this year but that was after probably 75+ holes in 12" of ice.  It can't be beat for cost, weight, efficiency and the fact you can use the drill for other purposes other than on the ice.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I have a 20 volt desalt with a 6" laser, the battery's are 3mAh.  Works great, haven't hardly used the backup batteries.

Offline MandM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:33 PM »
I use my Bosch 18v lith-ion.  On 6-8 inches of ice I have lost track of the number of holes I can drill with one battery.  Once the ice goes deeper than 10-12 inches I can get about 25-40 holes per battery.
We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.--Douglas Adams

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:52 PM »
I use my Bosch 18v lith-ion.  On 6-8 inches of ice I have lost track of the number of holes I can drill with one battery.  Once the ice goes deeper than 10-12 inches I can get about 25-40 holes per battery.
             Better check ice now, 16-20" most places!!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Don't get just any Milwaukee fuel series drill as there's a difference between the BEAST and just another drill. The Milwaukee Fuel Series  2604-22 Hammer Drill. Just make sure it's paired with a GOOD drill adapter. Make sure the adapter has a circle piece so if it drops out of the chuck the auger won't slide on down through the hole.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2604-22

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Don't get just any Milwaukee fuel series drill as there's a difference between the BEAST and just another drill. The Milwaukee Fuel Series  2604-22 Hammer Drill. Just make sure it's paired with a GOOD drill adapter. Make sure the adapter has a circle piece so if it drops out of the chuck the auger won't slide on down through the hole.
   Spend the $60 and get the plate you tightwads!!Don't worry about loosing auger then!!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:44 AM »
   Spend the $60 and get the plate you tightwads!!Don't worry about loosing auger then!!

That clam adapter is a complete failure imo. Added weight disassembling the chuck..... No thanks there's far better for 20 bucks.  ;D

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:45 AM »
I have a 20 volt desalt with a 6" laser, the battery's are 3mAh.  Works great, haven't hardly used the backup batteries.

I've got the exact same setup tater!  Dewalt works great!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:46 AM »
That clam adapter is a complete failure imo. Added weight disassembling the chuck..... No thanks there's far better for 20 bucks.  ;D
        Yeah it is pretty heavy!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:52 AM »
you do not need the clam adapter, there are adapters out there that have a disk between the drill and auger to keep it from falling thru if the drill chuck ever comes loose. I have drilled over 1000 holes and have yet to have the chuck come loose anyway. The Milwaukee M-18 is a absolute beast. I drilled 55 holes through 20" of Ice yesterday on 1 battery with a 6" lazer. It has drilled 80-90 holes through 12-14". make sure to get the 4.0ah battery or even the new 5.0ah.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:16 AM »
I use an 18v Ryobi hammer drill with 4.0A batteries and 6" Mora auger and I have no complaints. Mike

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I use an 18v Ryobi hammer drill with 4.0A batteries and 6" Mora auger and I have no complaints. Mike

OP is asking for best though lol! I'll throw 100 down in a hole drilling contest against any other 18v drill on the market. ;D

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:22 PM »
           Won't the hammering cause the blades to dull? Why not just a plane drill?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:23 PM »
           Won't the hammering cause the blades to dull? Why not just a plane drill?
      You don't run in hammer mode, just drill mode!   It is supposed to have a "heavier" transmission so to speak!!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Some guys are choosing the Rigid for the lifetime warranty.  Batteries will be the first to go.  I don't think too many will argu the Mill Fuel has the most torque.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:31 PM »
I don't think too many will argu the Mill Fuel has the most torque.

I'm no drill expert but I think for the 18 v that the Fuel does have the most torque at 725 in lbs.  Mine, coupled with a clam plate and 7 in lazer, just punched a number of holes on Erie yesterday through 14 inches of ice with no problems.  It occasionally binds at the bottom but it's nothing major. 
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Save you drill money and get a Tanaka.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:40 PM »
I don't have any experience wit the clam plate but with out the plate there is a lot of pressure put on the secondary handle of the drill.  I've seen some pictures of broken Mill cases and have had first hand exp. of the handle slipping of the case of the rigid.  I have a Dewalt and the handle clamps completely around a round part of the case which is a much better design.  This wouldn't matter with the clam adapter.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:44 PM »
I don't have any experience wit the clam plate but with out the plate there is a lot of pressure put on the secondary handle of the drill.  I've seen some pictures of broken Mill cases and have had first hand exp. of the handle slipping of the case of the rigid.  I have a Dewalt and the handle clamps completely around a round part of the case which is a much better design.  This wouldn't matter with the clam adapter.
        Clam plate is great, for us old men, the tough guys don't need it!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:45 PM »
Save you drill money and get a Tanaka.

Let's see....a drill I can use 12 months of the year with a 5 yr warrenty that will probably cut 2 or 3 holes to 1 against either of those all for about 260.00 vs something that is useless 9 months out of the year, costs 500+ dollars, requires gas and oil and probably has a 1 year warranty.  No thanks.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Let's see....a drill I can use 12 months of the year with a 5 yr warrenty that will probably cut 2 or 3 holes to 1 against either of those all for about 260.00 vs something that is useless 9 months out of the year, costs 500+ dollars, requires gas and oil and probably has a 1 year warranty.  No thanks.
        Don't want any gas or oil residue on my hands!!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:26 PM »

Sorry you are so uninformed. 7 year warrenty. 100-1 mixture. No order or mess.

These motors have been available all winter on ebay from 300.00 to 349.00.  My last one was a month ago for 300.00 with free shipping. These Tanaka 270 are the most bullet proof motor out there. If you think that your Battery drill will out drill one of these you have a lot to learn. Yes you can use your drill all year. You can also use this drill all year. It is a gas drill to begin with. The chuck is removed and the auger adapters installed. 
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Play nice guys. Don't turn this in to a  :%$#!: contest. Just have a friend who is getting old and ask me what was the best drill for this .
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline MandM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:29 PM »
As far as a plate to keep from loosing your auger if the chuck comes loose.  I took a piece of plywood and gut it just over the width of my 6" auger.  Drilled a hole in the center and put it on before attaching my drill adapter.  Basically cost me nothing, but gives me piece of mind.  I have a buddy who uses the plastic lid off his coffee cans.  Personally, and I have shared this with him, I would be afraid the plastic would give, but hey its not my auger.
We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.--Douglas Adams

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Sorry you are so uninformed. 7 year warrenty. 100-1 mixture. No order or mess.

These motors have been available all winter on ebay from 300.00 to 349.00.  My last one was a month ago for 300.00 with free shipping. These Tanaka 270 are the most bullet proof motor out there. If you think that your Battery drill will out drill one of these you have a lot to learn. Yes you can use your drill all year. You can also use this drill all year. It is a gas drill to begin with. The chuck is removed and the auger adapters installed.

You could use it for drilling holes to plant rose bushes wax. Imagine what a rose bush would look like with a fresh musky planted under it.... ;D

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2015, 04:50 PM »
I use a craftsman  with 6" lazer.  6" hole I have lost a lot of big fish this season.  I am going back to my 8" or larger holes. SO instead of buying a drill dewalt or sears $120 then a 4 amp hour battery$96 on sale then a $100 lazer hand drill.  Iam going to spend $499 on amazon for a strikemaster 50 volt 8" drill.  I am tired of loosing big fish at the hole as they slam the edge trying to get thru it then  spittiing the hook back at me.  Its not worth loosing one big fish in a tournament just so you can save a few pounds of weight.   The quiet or noisy above the ice the fish cant hear.  the thicker the ice the quieter it is down there.  on glare ice they are more spooked by shadows than noise.  Just my 2 cents worth.    I am going back to 8 9 or 10 inch drills.  the thicker the ice the bigger the drill.  The rest is a waste of my efforts and money.  Hey waxie where can I get one of those drills thats interesting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.