Author Topic: "Gear"............ When does it amount to "too much".....in YOUR opinion?  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Onlyhalfnuts

• IceShanty Rookie
All the new and improved, state of the art locators and augers and sleds and pop ups/tents are all cool and handy but.....

Dang.  Cost, weight, PIA moving around.

Does ANYONE still take a bucket or small "box", hand auger and a couple poles and fish?

A grand or more to buy all the extras to improve my odds would be awesome but living SS check to SS check such is not real sensible, no matter how much value they have on the ice.

Rather have a couple new knees. That would improve my ice fishing as much as all the other combined.  ;D

MIGHT try to figure out a way for winter 2015 to have a decent LIGHT flip over and el cheapo locator but I've a question that nags at the back of my brain.

Is it all worth it?  We caught fish for decades without any of it and still can when I am functioning well enough to get about for longer distances.

Anyone just NOT GO if their flasher is on the blink? (pun intended)  I've noticed a few on the ice that were highly frustrated and "blamed" not catching fish on the fact that their flasher stopped.

NOT trying to start a pi$$ing match but sometime this year I've got to decide if such is enough of a "plus" to make me want to spend the money and put up with hauling all of it around.  A pop up would lengthen trips and make night fishing a bit more fun by being less uncomfortable but for the rest I have doubts.  Help me out here.

My fishing partner of decades and decades can no longer go and is on borrowed time (heart) and dragging all that stuff we used to use out alone as an old geezer.....is a dang chore. I've not succeeded in finding anyone else I know interested in venturing out a day or two very often (or at all).

The 2015 regulation change proposal for "panfish" ( in aggregate ) makes me lean towards "NOT!!"  Still and all (as I understand it?) 25 gills, 25 crappie.....couple bass is still "worth it" but not readily catchable on a LOT of lakes too ....it seems.  Not often I got into a crap load but when I do I will miss bringing home enough for eat fish for a few weeks.  25 isn't much even for a single ol geezer.   Old enough that hunting and fishing reasons STILL include "to eat", not just "sport.   Dying breed IMHO.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/outdoors/outdoors-bluegill-limit-proposed/article_96565984-75f3-11e3-9172-001a4bcf6878.html

If this honks you off. Please don't reply.  Such will just make me regret asking but.......

you old guys like me.  Would you do it all again and buy all the stuff you use?

God bless
Always looking for a place to ice fish where an old fart don't have hundreds of yards to walk....please. 
God Bless

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
While you will certainly catch fish without electronics, my locator has enabled me to ice many, many more trophy's.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
I, at this time, cannot afford a locator.  I am going to try using my locator from my kayak just to give me depth and possible fish.

I am one who goes minimal: a sled, auger, lawn chair, cushion, bucket with three - four rods/ small tackle box , scoop and a rod holder. Keep my bait in inside pockets of my coveralls.

I do catch fish. I would also like to thank those out there who share information such as depth/weeds/baits etc.  I know at Salamonie people have told me what depth the crappie are at - they suspend usually there.

I do have a two person shelter, heater and lights.  Don't normally take the shanty out but will if extremely cold and easy to tow. (Lots of snow makes it very tough.)

If I could buy a few new things it would include a FL-18; ice armor (or similar) suit; one-man shanty and a couple of tip-ups.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah...a floating suit is definitely an item I will have before next year!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yesterday my friend said, "You are just 'old school' aren't you?" Turned 76 Dec. 24th.
I guess I am. Still use lantern box with Colman lantern. Two 5' rods with Schooley reels, 2# test Stren ice line. I have a 5' Mora hand auger with Lazer blade set up. Wire rod holders I place  in front of holes. An ice scoop and wax worms. LOTS of jigs, many purchased and many that I've tied.
With all the electronics and shanty I don't have, I amaze myself that I do catch a few fish. Fished with two friends yesterday that had Vexes and a camera and caught just as few as they did! ;D ;D
A 25 fish limit is fine with me. I have a freezer with lots of fish every year!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I could do without most of the stuff I have, but I still have it.  Things I wouldn't be without - Vex, just can't stand not knowing what's going on down there.  Auger with drill adaptor, I like to hole hop and I wouldn't be doing much of that with a hand crank.  Been punching around 50 holes when I go.  Striker suit, I have a 2 man shanty that I rarely use so the suit keeps me safer and warmer.  Other than that I could fish with a couple rods (usually have at least 6) and a hand full of baits (have 4 boxes holding hundreds).

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
I still enjoy traveling light. Bucket, rods, auger, but gotta have a depth finder.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I kinda understand the floating suits. I just wear my boat cushion as a backpack like a ninja turtle if I'm walking alone on the lake so if you see a guy with the white pack on his back its me
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline hawk56

• IceShanty Rookie
I travel minimally when I can,auger,bucket,jetsled,fishfinder searching for the proverbial hot spots. I can handle it down to about 20 deg depending on wind etc. But line/hand freeze limit me. I use my electronics to locate and relocate spots. So when its cold I can find them quicker and set up stay longer which makes it more productive.

Offline WalksOnH2O

• IceShanty Rookie
I haven't needed my popup shanty (Eskimo quick fish )
Portable heaters ( mr buddy & big buddy heaters) a couple
Older rods and tips for 2 years.

I use a hand auger and pull a sled on foot.

That said, I can't imagine fishing without my
Flasher.  It has increased my success dramatically.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
There are days that I throw a two rods and a box of jigs in a bucket, hook the bucket handle on my auger handle, put the auger on my shoulder, carry the flasher in the other hand and walk out on the ice.

Other days I load up 150lbs of crap in the big jet sled and haul it out on the ice.  Usually in bad weather or when I take the kids.

Offline Smearinfish

• IceShanty Rookie
I have ice fished over 20 yrs with just a bucket, hand auger, cheap clothes, and cheap poles. If the fish are aggressive you will catch just as many as someone with a vex.  If they aren't aggressive you will pass and miss a lot of fish without a vex. If your gonna spend money I would get an FL 8 vex first.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
All the new and improved, state of the art locators and augers and sleds and pop ups/tents are all cool and handy but.....

Dang.  Cost, weight, PIA moving around.

Does ANYONE still take a bucket or small "box", hand auger and a couple poles and fish?

A grand or more to buy all the extras to improve my odds would be awesome but living SS check to SS check such is not real sensible, no matter how much value they have on the ice.

Rather have a couple new knees. That would improve my ice fishing as much as all the other combined.  ;D

MIGHT try to figure out a way for winter 2015 to have a decent LIGHT flip over and el cheapo locator but I've a question that nags at the back of my brain.

Is it all worth it?  We caught fish for decades without any of it and still can when I am functioning well enough to get about for longer distances.

Anyone just NOT GO if their flasher is on the blink? (pun intended)  I've noticed a few on the ice that were highly frustrated and "blamed" not catching fish on the fact that their flasher stopped.

NOT trying to start a pi$$ing match but sometime this year I've got to decide if such is enough of a "plus" to make me want to spend the money and put up with hauling all of it around.  A pop up would lengthen trips and make night fishing a bit more fun by being less uncomfortable but for the rest I have doubts.  Help me out here.

My fishing partner of decades and decades can no longer go and is on borrowed time (heart) and dragging all that stuff we used to use out alone as an old geezer.....is a dang chore. I've not succeeded in finding anyone else I know interested in venturing out a day or two very often (or at all).

The 2015 regulation change proposal for "panfish" ( in aggregate ) makes me lean towards "NOT!!"  Still and all (as I understand it?) 25 gills, 25 crappie.....couple bass is still "worth it" but not readily catchable on a LOT of lakes too ....it seems.  Not often I got into a crap load but when I do I will miss bringing home enough for eat fish for a few weeks.  25 isn't much even for a single ol geezer.   Old enough that hunting and fishing reasons STILL include "to eat", not just "sport.   Dying breed IMHO.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/outdoors/outdoors-bluegill-limit-proposed/article_96565984-75f3-11e3-9172-001a4bcf6878.html

If this honks you off. Please don't reply.  Such will just make me regret asking but.......

God bless
              Only thing other than bucket, pole, is the clam plate, easier for me to drill holes, nothing else!!

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
If I am going to the 105 Bridge at Salamonie it is chair, auger and two rods with small tackle box.  It not called "heart attack hill" for no reason.

Offline rooster

• IceShanty Rookie
To much is when you have to get out the manual to refresh on how to use it. I have a shanty, but only use it when weather dictates and how long I plan on fishing that day. I do have an adapter for my auger and use a drill-much easier. I still use a box to carry stuff and for a seat. I don't have a flasher. I follow guys around that do. This year I did buy a striker ice suit. I have heard of people not being able to get out of the hole once they go in. I fish a lot by myself and the floating suit will give me a little extra help if needed. 25 fish at a time is plenty in my opinion. Make it simple, if what you buy, makes your hobby, safer, more fun, that is what it is all about. I am on SS also. Old geezer-yes

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
To much is just when you think you have it all!   
When you start calling your gear "crap" then you got to much.

Offline Hack58

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you get up this way give me a shout. I'll let you use one of my Marcums and maybe that'll help you decide.

For me it simply takes the mystery out of are they here and not biting or aren't they here. Wouldn't go home because I forgot it but I don't intend to go back to fishing without it either.

Now that I bought the AA suit I wear my shanty. All my stuff and my sons stuff fits into a small jet sled. 2 marcums, 2 buckets (lantern in 1) minnow bucket, and auger with a drill on it. I don't consider that light but not loaded down with gear either.........
Tight lines everyone!

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Another old schooler here....don't forget the sparkplug depth finders!
plentyof fish in the freezer too

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
I kinda understand the floating suits. I just wear my boat cushion as a backpack like a ninja turtle if I'm walking alone on the lake so if you see a guy with the white pack on his back its me
I would think that would be more dangerous if you go through the ice as you will be floating face down and have a hard time keeping your head above water with the cushion trying to float your back up.

Offline Onlyhalfnuts

• IceShanty Rookie
All good and appreciated replies.

Probably some kind of shanty is in line since retired and I want to start fishing all night sometimes but, even poor an Artic Armor suit for both warmth, wind and SO I DONT SINK LIKE A ROCK if I fall in.  ;D

ODD how when young I didn't worry much about ice.  I recall my brother walking towards me on the channels at Maxi and the closer he got the more water come UP through my hole.  I said......."uh Curt?   Uh......STAY AWAY FROM ME!!"   HAHA

That happened now I'd die anyway of heart failure.

Still gonna have at em through February. Ordering a bunch of plastics tomorrow to try something other than the way I've done it for 4 plus decades.  "New and Improved"........eh, maybe.

About the extent of my additions to my gear till ice out but thinking ahead.
My ol box and coleman lantern and military parka still work but hot dang did that parka get HEAVY the past few years! Arghhh.

Thanks to all.
God Bless
Always looking for a place to ice fish where an old fart don't have hundreds of yards to walk....please. 
God Bless

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have an older clam one man flip over i use a lot, got a floating suit i use everytime out, i will not fish if i forgot my vexilar mainly because while i want to enjoy being outdoors i also enjoy catching fish, it dont catch fish but lets you know if theres any to be caught, i still use an old sharp spoon most times, unless im perch fishing then the propane jiffy comes out cuz like three weekends ago i happened to run into a couple guys from here out perch fishing and i bet we drilled close to fifty holes and found fish in only a few, in my opinion its money well spent if you can swing it, i look back at how many times i would pop three holes and sit there wondering where the fish are...... They cant hide anymore

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac

God bless

i am younger guy and realize it not about the fancy gizmos from china. reason i say that is stuff like the clam plate is nice you can't hole hop as easily and carrying the new shanties you need a drill to install the stakes for it so  you need the drill that on the clam plate to put them up.. but is it wroth some of the items yes like gps and sonar yes.. but once you get past the basic's like gps, sonar,shanty,seat,  heater, and or lantern  rods and some tackle. your taking to much with you if you got to add in a crappie catch cover or  other some things that weight  you down...  all you need now a days is a small sled to get it all out there was not this way before gps and sonar?? what happened to the good old days with the bucket no sonar no gps and  auger a couple rods and a some tackle??? i think it just got to much in to the little Chinese made gizmos that you need to find fish??

Offline seahawk27

• IceShanty Rookie
You will be fine unless you use a vexilar then it gets hard to ice fish without one. The same with a gas auger once your able to drill 20+ holes and are able to move around and stay on top of fish
+ know if there is actually fish in the area ,it gets hard to sit on a bucket and wait for them. Thats just how it went for me.
Bowfin,Bullheads,Shads

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
I leaned to fish with no finders, no gps, and rods with no reels on them.  Now I have way more crap than I will ever use.  Most of it was bought to make the time on the ice more productive.  I don't stay out all day like a lot of guys do.  By noon or 12:30 I usually have all I want to clean or the bite has not been strong enough to make me want to stay.  Now that the kids are older, I could stay out longer, but I rarely if ever do.  There is no doubt you can catch fish with just a pole, and an auger, a few lures and some bait, but when time on the ice is limited I want every advantage I can afford.  Bottom line is get what you can afford and enjoy your time on the ice.  It is not a contest to see how many toys you have.  I have all the toys and got schooled last Friday afternoon by a guy with a rod older than me, no finder, a schooley reel, and dunking a bobber.  He had one thing I didn't, and that was mousies.  I had the exact lure as him, with spikes, waxworms, and wigglers and they wanted the mousies.  He caught 18 to my 3 until I moved to a different location and found some that were willing to eat something besides mousies.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
I like hanging out with "old schoolers", always get schooled!

Offline ValparaisoGirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Too much gear-- that's easy-- all you can carry, plus one!  Wait; I may have that confused with a fish limit in some other state.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some guys like gadgets some guys dont. Today I saw a guy with two minnow poles and his vex sitting in the center hole. I'm not quite sure why but that was his setup. I go light but to the extreme. FX100 flip over with a Striker Gear bag that has rod tubes and plenty of storage but can also be a back pack. Aquaview Camera but it fits in my pocket. Milwaukee synthetic lazer setup with 6 batteries to swiss cheese bays wide open. I'm constantly looking underwater with the camera in the muck looking for larvae or whatever I see twitching around in the water. Why are there fish holding here they just arnt randomly there year after year. I can take that knowledge from that lake and apply it to similar lakes and get almost the same results time and time again. 300 plus holes in a scouting day is not uncommon at all. That requires a powered auger as I'm not Paul Bunyan of cutting open ice holes. If you just enjoy getting out having fun and don't have the need for hundreds of holes or learning about the whys or where's then there's no need for anything extra. Don't buy it because the guy next to you has one. Buy it if it's a tool your going to use.

Offline skyrider

• IceShanty Rookie
im half old school and half new.got an old zircon locator that shut off when I figure out depth of fish.i pin my school reel and hole hop.65 years old but so far I can still get around prettygood.i do remember the days of no locators and bobber fishing.caught plenty of fish.didnt need a $170. pole and still don't.hang in there and fish till thr end.

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
I leaned to fish with no finders, no gps, and rods with no reels on them.  Now I have way more crap than I will ever use.  Most of it was bought to make the time on the ice more productive.  I don't stay out all day like a lot of guys do.  By noon or 12:30 I usually have all I want to clean or the bite has not been strong enough to make me want to stay.  Now that the kids are older, I could stay out longer, but I rarely if ever do.  There is no doubt you can catch fish with just a pole, and an auger, a few lures and some bait, but when time on the ice is limited I want every advantage I can afford.  Bottom line is get what you can afford and enjoy your time on the ice.  It is not a contest to see how many toys you have.  I have all the toys and got schooled last Friday afternoon by a guy with a rod older than me, no finder, a schooley reel, and dunking a bobber.  He had one thing I didn't, and that was mousies.  I had the exact lure as him, with spikes, waxworms, and wigglers and they wanted the mousies.  He caught 18 to my 3 until I moved to a different location and found some that were willing to eat something besides mousies.
omg waxi leaned something.

Offline smoke_eater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Too much gear-- that's easy-- all you can carry, plus one!  Wait; I may have that confused with a fish limit in some other state.
x2...lol!
Greatest quote ever "Whatcha going to do...fish your life away"...well hell yes!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.