Author Topic: 25 fish aggregate panny limit  (Read 16729 times)

Offline levi

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 25 fish aggregate panny limit
« Reply #90 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:02 PM »
i totally agree with larger size on walleye and limits on panfish.
My wife says if I go ice fishing one more time shes going to leave me, God Im going to miss her.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #91 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:15 PM »
i totally agree with larger size on walleye and limits on panfish.

I just noticed your signature.  I prefer to say "My wife got fed up with my ice fishing practices.  She left town with my best friend.  I sure will miss him!".

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:18 PM »
After getting to the diet chapter of a good crappie book recommended by HT I'm implementing a no bed fishing policy state wide on gills so they can spawn more crappie food! Fat crappies are fun crappies!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:19 PM »
After getting to the diet chapter of a good crappie book recommended by HT I'm implementing a no bed fishing policy state wide on gills so they can spawn more crappie food! Fat crappies are fun crappies!

I hate fishing them off the beds myself.  But you never know when they are going to spawn. 

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:13 PM »
If the 25 panfish limit includes crappies, then I will be keeping less crappies since I like eating gills better.  Either way, I would try to target perch more often.  However, I would rather see them close, or at least limit the spawning season.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #95 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:22 AM »
LOL at James..... I think the 25 panny limit has a chance to get on the books before the new license year that starts April 1, 2015.  It won't affect ice season, but may be in place by the spawn.  DNR could make a killing in fines if they enforce it from the moment it becomes a law.

yes they could burn a lot of people with a brand new law. havent seen them pull that crap in the past though. lets hope it dont start. the 15-16 book will tell the story. anyone know when they come out?

wouldnt it be easier if licenses started on jan 1st? does anyone know why license dates are set as they are?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:27 AM »
yes they could burn a lot of people with a brand new law. havent seen them pull that crap in the past though. lets hope it dont start. the 15-16 book will tell the story. anyone know when they come out?

wouldnt it be easier if licenses started on jan 1st? does anyone know why license dates are set as they are?
I believe they changed the dates on licenses so they would match up with Michigan.  They changed the dates on the licenses only a few years ago.  Our license dates are now the same as Michigan's.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #97 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:16 AM »

I don't think the create printed pamphlets anymore.  It think you have to get them online and I don't think they are available until mid March or so.

I think the reason for the licenses to start April 1st is to give a newly elected Governor and state representives time to react before the new license year starts in case they want to make changes.  I think the Gov. appoints the DNR head etc., so allowing some transition time and the chance for new ideas before the next license year is probably a good idea.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:25 AM »
You guys referring to the Indiana Fishing Regs Rag? Those come out e very year and can be picked up at any place that sells licenses. It's ad based now maybe from a third party company I'm guessing. It's too nice to be made by the state lol. Hunting Reg Rag is a nice read too.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I don't think the create printed pamphlets anymore.  It think you have to get them online and I don't think they are available until mid March or so.

I think the reason for the licenses to start April 1st is to give a newly elected Governor and state representives time to react before the new license year starts in case they want to make changes.  I think the Gov. appoints the DNR head etc., so allowing some transition time and the chance for new ideas before the next license year is probably a good idea.

Interesting thoughts Waxie.  It does seem to me that it wasn't that long ago that you had to get a license starting March 1st?

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:35 AM »
I have a brother that lives in North eastern MN.[ the arrowhead region] and the limit for crappies 15 and gills is 15 so 25 not really out of line. This is going to happen in most all states eventualy

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #101 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I have a brother that lives in North eastern MN.[ the arrowhead region] and the limit for crappies 15 and gills is 15 so 25 not really out of line. This is going to happen in most all states eventualy

The farther north you go the limits get tighter because the growing season is shorter and the spawning window is much smaller due to the water temps not getting as warm as fast.  Gills need water 68-70 to have an effective spawn and with lakes that far north where the ice does not leave until mid April or later, they may get a single spawning cycle in since by the time the water reaches the right temp, the days are already getting shorter and the water temp may slowly start to decline.  It takes alot longer to get an 8" gill in N. Minn than it does in lakes in IN., but I argree it is time for a limit on Gills here too.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #102 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Here in NY its 50 sunfish any size you , for perch it's 50 any size, and crappie is 9" and 25....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:13 PM »

If I remember right all the states around us have panfish limits. We're the last one. I think it's high time. OTOH I would prefer if it was not on all the lakes. Some lakes that have stunted overpopulated bluegills and should be exempt. And the biologists know which ones they are.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Here in NY its 50 sunfish any size you , for perch it's 50 any size, and crappie is 9" and 25....

So they finally must have dropped the ability to sell sunfish out of public waters on the open market?  Apparently there was no bag limit previously as it was explained to me by a biologist if a fish had no bag limit it was legal to catch and sell.

Gotta go. I've got several hundred bluegill fingerlings to move to one of my recirculating tanks in the basement from an acclimating tank now that the temps are the same. I took them out of one of my hatching ponds yesterday. Pretty miserable going with air temps below freezing! Water was pumped from a pond through the basement window to the acclimating tank. Upper 30's! Water is now 69.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Taxi that doesn't sound anything like fun! Why are you playing with predator food?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #106 on: Nov 26, 2014, 02:20 PM »
So they finally must have dropped the ability to sell sunfish out of public waters on the open market?  Apparently there was no bag limit previously as it was explained to me by a biologist if a fish had no bag limit it was legal to catch and sell.

In NY you can sell fish as long as the species you are selling has no closed season or no minimum length in the statewide regulations..... panfish (perch crappie and sunfish) are open all year round here in NY

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:20 PM »
In NY you can sell fish as long as the species you are selling has no closed season or no minimum length in the statewide regulations..... panfish (perch crappie and sunfish) are open all year round here in NY

What are your feelings on that?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:24 PM »
I snapped this pic today of some of the bluegills I brought in for the winter. This is what biologists call a "rolling spawn" which means a species can spawn more than once in a year. This is evidence of at least 3 separate spawns, probably 4,  in the small 1/10 acre pond where I planted 4 males and four female broodfish and let them do their thing.  There were probably a few thousand offspring in that pond from those few fish.

That shows you why it's important to have a good predator population to control them.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:29 PM »
OK boys with these 25 limits coming up you all better get put weekly and do your jobs in harvesting! Muskies only eat the big ones lol. Thanks for sharing that Taxi great info.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Cool picture Taxi... I better brush up on my technique's so I can catch my 25 and help out.  It is rare that I accomplish that feat, but I can get to 12-15 pretty regular.  When I first started a couple of years ago I was happy with a half dozen keepers each outing.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:01 PM »
When it comes to harvesting bluegills, it's not always about the numbers. Quality of fish kept has a role to play also.

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #112 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:52 PM »
^^this^^

Selective harvest is important, especially when you've got a stunted population or overpopulation.  In the smaller ponds I fish, I will often take the smaller fish out (5-7") and leave the 8"+ fish in the water.  Then again, that isn't ALWAYS the best method because you have to also take into consideration the size and condition of the predatory fish in the water. 

Know your BOW, and select the fish you choose to keep and those you choose to release...  I always look at it like "how can I make this fishery better."  Sometimes, C&R is the best policy, just based on the numbers and conditions of the fish at hand.

It's not black and white, that's for sure

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Taxi that doesn't sound anything like fun! Why are you playing with predator food?

It's part of how I make my living.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:36 PM »
It's part of how I make my living.

You raise fish for a living by selling pond raised gills or for stocking ponds?

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Taxi is the man when it comes to raising trophy fish!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:43 PM »
I'm more interested in trophy fish sandwiches for selling at my pubs!

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:47 PM »

Methinks that would be one expensive fish sandwich if Taxi's fish were involved! ;)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:52 PM »
When it comes to harvesting bluegills, it's not always about the numbers. Quality of fish kept has a role to play also.

So true Tony.

I remember once I got greedy and caught 200 off the beds from a Massachusetts lake where they call bluegills "kivers" or "sunnies" and consider them trashfish. Anyway i cleaned fish all night and decided to back off after that. Personally I think 25 fish or 50 fillets is plenty for an outing.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #119 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:52 PM »

I can see it now: "The Papakeechie Panini" :thumbsup:
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.