Author Topic: 25 fish aggregate panny limit  (Read 16709 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: 25 fish aggregate panny limit
« Reply #180 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:03 AM »
its just the way its always been done. i guess if i had to argue, its just more convenient to have one stinky fish cooler. dont think people do it to be difficult as you suggest.

dont think they would hassle anyone unless you had more than the 2 day possession limit. lol unless 26 are still flopping. then you have the old midnight hour debate. on and on and on........... ::)

are there people that have gotten ticketed for this "1 pile" issue on here?

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #181 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:14 AM »
no "boat limit" on the books. like bruce stated get and read/interpret the rules for yourself.

as for the pile. im pretty sure its for the law to prove, not the accused.

True, but if you get a ticket, right or wrong, you either pay it, ignore it (and get a bench warrant placed on you), or fight it in court.  You may win in court, but the court costs are still yours to pay. 

Just this past summer a lady my wife works with was fishing with her hubby and they had a sub legal bass in the basket because they gut hooked it and said it was going to die anyway.  She got a ticket for it.  She forgot about it and did not pay it or show up to plead not guilty and set a court date.  They issued a warrant for her.  She then found the ticket in her wallet 3 months later, called the court,  and they sent cops to her work and arrested her.  She spent the rest of the day in the jail getting fingerprints, photos, etc, until she saw the judge and pleaded guilty.  She paid the fine on the spot + court costs and it was over 300.00 total.  The fine for the sub legal fish was around 100. 

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #182 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:07 AM »
True, but if you get a ticket, right or wrong, you either pay it, ignore it (and get a bench warrant placed on you), or fight it in court.  You may win in court, but the court costs are still yours to pay. 

Just this past summer a lady my wife works with was fishing with her hubby and they had a sub legal bass in the basket because they gut hooked it and said it was going to die anyway.  She got a ticket for it.  She forgot about it and did not pay it or show up to plead not guilty and set a court date.  They issued a warrant for her.  She then found the ticket in her wallet 3 months later, called the court,  and they sent cops to her work and arrested her.  She spent the rest of the day in the jail getting fingerprints, photos, etc, until she saw the judge and pleaded guilty.  She paid the fine on the spot + court costs and it was over 300.00 total.  The fine for the sub legal fish was around 100.

What did she plead guilty to?

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Riddle me this.  Let's for the sake of argument say that me, waxie, RS, and crappie66 go icefishing together.  We get into the crappies and we keep them separated on the ice and each of us limits out.  The four of us get back to my truck and throw them all into one container, because the plan is to go back to my house, clean the fish, and have a fish fry.  But on the way to my house, I get pulled over and searched.  I have 100 crappies in one container and they are in my truck.  All 4 of us have valid fishing licenses.  What would the CO say about that?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:19 AM »
What did she plead guilty to?

Possession of a sub legal sized bass which is what the ticket was for.  Point is, the court costs were 2x what the fine was if she had not forgot about it.  Court costs would likely be the same or more if you tried to fight it, that is why it is better to not give them any reason to write you a ticket.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Riddle me this.  Let's for the sake of argument say that me, waxie, RS, and crappie66 go icefishing together.  We get into the crappies and we keep them separated on the ice and each of us limits out.  The four of us get back to my truck and throw them all into one container, because the plan is to go back to my house, clean the fish, and have a fish fry.  But on the way to my house, I get pulled over and searched.  I have 100 crappies in one container and they are in my truck.  All 4 of us have valid fishing licenses.  What would the CO say about that?

Good question...I don't know the answer.  I would say if all 4 were in the truck and had valid licenses then he would probably do nothing.  If you were alone then you would probably have an issue.   The law on crappie says 25 fish per person per day.  It is up to the angler to make sure he does not posses more than 25.  As an angler I am not sure how you do that when throwing into a community pile.  It then becomes a he said, she said issue and I prefer to avoid that when it results in money out of my pocket even if I win.  I would send that question to the DNR and have them tell you how the law would be applied in that situation in the truck, on the ice and in a boat. 

I know the DNR can be nice and they can be harsh.  Had a buddy fishing in IN with his dad they were hole hopping and catching crappie.  They both limited out and were just laying the fish on the ice by each hole.  When it was time to leave they gathered the fish and walked off.  CO was waiting and had them dump their sacks...one had 24 the other 26.  The guy with 26 got a ticket for being over the limit.  A 2 man limit carried off the ice incorrectly got one of them a 100 dollar fine and they took the 26 crappies!!!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:59 AM »
You want to be squeaky clean, you make a tag (25 crappies caught at this time and date) just like deer... Names and license numbers of each limit your in possession of, because if the CO doesn't believe you he can go to the others and make sure their not possessing any fish at that time... Which they'll do.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #187 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:05 AM »
                     Depend on the CO!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:09 AM »
You want to be squeaky clean, you make a tag (25 crappies caught at this time and date) just like deer... Names and license numbers of each limit your in possession of, because if the CO doesn't believe you he can go to the others and make sure their not possessing any fish at that time... Which they'll do.

for sure!
If you take home somebody else's fish, make sure that you receive a signed note from that person saying that he gave you those fish.
This is what I was told by a CO.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Dec 01, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Possession of a sub legal sized bass which is what the ticket was for.  Point is, the court costs were 2x what the fine was if she had not forgot about it.  Court costs would likely be the same or more if you tried to fight it, that is why it is better to not give them any reason to write you a ticket.

Understood.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Dec 01, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Good question...I don't know the answer.  I would say if all 4 were in the truck and had valid licenses then he would probably do nothing.  If you were alone then you would probably have an issue.   The law on crappie says 25 fish per person per day.  It is up to the angler to make sure he does not posses more than 25.  As an angler I am not sure how you do that when throwing into a community pile.  It then becomes a he said, she said issue and I prefer to avoid that when it results in money out of my pocket even if I win.  I would send that question to the DNR and have them tell you how the law would be applied in that situation in the truck, on the ice and in a boat. 

I know the DNR can be nice and they can be harsh.  Had a buddy fishing in IN with his dad they were hole hopping and catching crappie.  They both limited out and were just laying the fish on the ice by each hole.  When it was time to leave they gathered the fish and walked off.  CO was waiting and had them dump their sacks...one had 24 the other 26.  The guy with 26 got a ticket for being over the limit.  A 2 man limit carried off the ice incorrectly got one of them a 100 dollar fine and they took the 26 crappies!!!

It has been a few years, but I did pose the question to a CO.  He basically told me/or the way I perceived it was as long as everyone in the vehicle had a valid license nothing would be done.

I also posed the question about live wells.  Once again the way I took it was that as long as every member of the boat had a valid license they wouldn't do anything.

Now ice fishing is different from open water fishing.  We boat fish and we have people in the vessel.  The fish stay in the vessel until the boat is on the trailer and even then can ride in it.   We normally walk off the ice and somebody has the catch if it is a "community pile".  One guy, pulling his shack, with all the fish.

I know there are a lot of interpretations to the law.  Never assume anything......cause you know what that means!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Great discussion and no offense meant to anymore, but isn't this thread getting to be something like this?  ;D

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Great discussion and no offense meant to anymore, but isn't this thread getting to be something like this?  ;D

Camel be good in a smoker?

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Camel be good in a smoker?
why is Abraham Lincoln beating a camel? Did it not tell the truth? ;D

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:39 PM »
why is Abraham Lincoln beating a camel? Did it not tell the truth? ;D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe the the camel cut down a cherry tree?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #195 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:55 PM »

couldnt really say anything till we had 201 crappie in the truck. you are allowed to haul around 50 crappie apiece, until they hit your freezer.

another wrinkle:
what if they all came from a private lake and we had 500 crappie? lmao we still wouldnt be breaking any law.

:blink:

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:23 PM »
couldnt really say anything till we had 201 crappie in the truck. you are allowed to haul around 50 crappie apiece, until they hit your freezer.

another wrinkle:
what if they all came from a private lake and we had 500 crappie? lmao we still wouldnt be breaking any law.

:blink:

Private lake?  Now that is a different can of spikes!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:40 PM »

I know the DNR can be nice and they can be harsh.  Had a buddy fishing in IN with his dad they were hole hopping and catching crappie.  They both limited out and were just laying the fish on the ice by each hole.  When it was time to leave they gathered the fish and walked off.  CO was waiting and had them dump their sacks...one had 24 the other 26.  The guy with 26 got a ticket for being over the limit.  A 2 man limit carried off the ice incorrectly got one of them a 100 dollar fine and they took the 26 crappies!
And I wonder what they did with the 26 crappie

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:35 PM »
No idea but my guess is the took them for evidence.  Same they do with someone caught poaching a deer.  They don't let you keep the game if taken illegally.  I believe they donate the deer to be processed and given to shelters.  Not sure if they do the same with the fish or not after photos are taken.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #199 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:44 PM »
Yes I assume the same,  hopefully they went to some good use

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:10 AM »
No idea but my guess is the took them for evidence.  Same they do with someone caught poaching a deer.  They don't let you keep the game if taken illegally.  I believe they donate the deer to be processed and given to shelters.  Not sure if they do the same with the fish or not after photos are taken.

That is my understanding as well. 

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:00 PM »

I would have to ask why are you stealing fish from my pile.  We know you can't limit out.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:43 AM »
I would have to ask why are you stealing fish from my pile.  We know you can't limit out.

:woot:
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:49 AM »

LMAO....... I wasn't taking them from yours.  I was stealing them from waxworm's!  Your pile was nothing but dinks! ;)  Boiler up!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:56 AM »
LMAO....... I wasn't taking them from yours.  I was stealing them from waxworm's!  Your pile was nothing but dinks! ;)  Boiler up!

If you were taking the larger ones, those are the ones I stole from Riverscum's pile each time he went to check his :tipup: ;D

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:59 AM »
If you were taking the larger ones, those are the ones I stole from Riverscum's pile each time he went to check his :tipup: ;D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Offline Gartoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Funny stuff..

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Dec 03, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Meanwhile Waxie is taking RS's, Rico was taking Waxies, and while Rico was gone I was taking Rico's stones and sharing them with Slab and Blue :roflmao:

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Dec 03, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Meanwhile Waxie is taking RS's, Rico was taking Waxies, and while Rico was gone I was taking Rico's stones and sharing them with Slab and Blue :roflmao:

You must of been hard up to swipe stones .  :sick: but to tell you the truth is not that is bad beer I just can't seam to drink something that has the same name as the place I work .

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Dec 03, 2014, 03:00 PM »

River scums 25th was probably on his tip up
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.