Author Topic: 25 fish aggregate panny limit  (Read 16714 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 25 fish aggregate panny limit
« Reply #150 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Worked with a woman once that bragged her husband caught his limit of 25 bluegills in Michigan and just kept bringing the fish in and going back out for 25 more. People like that make me sick.

I was also told of someone that caught 1600 bluegills on Sacrider near Kendallvile last summer that gave most of the away. Really selfish IMHO as those are fish you and I won't catch some cold day on the ice when the bite is slow.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #151 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Worked with a woman once that bragged her husband caught his limit of 25 bluegills in Michigan and just kept bringing the fish in and going back out for 25 more. People like that make me sick.

I was also told of someone that caught 1600 bluegills on Sacrider near Kendallvile last summer that gave most of the away. Really selfish IMHO as those are fish you and I won't catch some cold day on the ice when the bite is slow.

Unfortunately I am sure some will do exactly that in IN if they pass the law.  Heck there is a guy that fishes the N channel that has been busted 3 times for doing it with crappie.  If you have 3 DNR violations against you, you should no longer be allowed to get a hunting or fishing license.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #152 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:54 PM »
that wouldnt stop him either though bud! breakin the law is still breakin the law, ya know. no hope for those types.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:50 PM »
that wouldnt stop him either though bud! breakin the law is still breakin the law, ya know. no hope for those types.

Probably not, but he is on a first name basis with the CO's by now so if they knew his privileges were pulled and they saw him out there again, they should take his gear and vehicle.

Offline bramabull

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I do know a couple years ago when fishing up in Michigan 3 of us were fishing and had about 68 gills laying on the ice.  When we bagged them up we put them in bags of 25 and each person carried a bag.  In the parking lot the CO was there  and checked our catch and licenses and specifically said they must be kept separate.  Had he come on the ice, one or all 3 of us would have been fined or warned. 

I think you would have to catch a CO in a bad mood to write you up for it if he just walked upon 2 guys and they had at or under the 2 man limit and over the 1 man limit, but had them in community pile.  He may suggest you separate them, though.  However, if he is watching from a far which they often do before approaching, and sees one guy catching 2 to 1 and then checks and you don't have your fish separated you will likely get a warning or fine.  In the end it is your word against his in court if you take it that far, but it easier and less expensive to just keep the catch separate.  People use a single cooler and livewell all the time, but I think by the letter of the law, one person is not allowed to limit out and then contribute to another person's limit in the same day.  I am not sure if the rules for charters are different or not, but anyone who has been on one knows the catch rate is rarely equal among all people on board, so some are contributing to others limits.  That would be a good question for the DNR.
I never thought about that either. I am usually accompanied by my son who does not legally have to have a fishing license right now. We have always thrown our fish in the same bucket and never even considered that.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Unfortunately I am sure some will do exactly that in IN if they pass the law.  Heck there is a guy that fishes the N channel that has been busted 3 times for doing it with crappie.  If you have 3 DNR violations against you, you should no longer be allowed to get a hunting or fishing license.

Or they need to make it really painful like a bigger fine or jail time. Sounds like a judge needs a little educating.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #156 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:44 PM »
In regards to the whole throwing them in the same pile thing.... how are they going to know who caught what unless they are watching you the ENTIRE time.... you can just say you caught 25 and the other person caught 25 and it will not make a difference.... and even if they say they were watching you the entire time they have no proof unless it is recorded so if they can't prove it there is no evidence of who caught what.

As regards to this.... We do this with catfish.... When I was younger we would go out and catch Catfish and give them to a older guy who was a family friend because he really liked catfish and we didn't feel like cleaning them that particular night.... Now it wasn't 1600 the entire season probably like 15-20 if it's not going to waste (aka leaving them on the ice) what is the difference if its a REASONABLE AMOUNT? not 1600 obviously

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Hmmmmm odd you would think it would apply then in the summer we throw the crappie into the same live well. Have never had the DNR say anything about it. We also merge salmon and steelhead in the same cooler and just know that per boat what our limit cap is. Even on charters walleye fishing they just count total per head or uses to. Been a long time since I did a walleye charter. Good points though.

On that question they are not exactly counting who caught what.  But if my wife is out there reading a book all day.   Or I bring 3, 3 year Olds out who don't touch a pole.  You better just have a one man limit. 

I have never had them question a limit when people in your group are attempting to catch fish and you put your catch together.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:00 PM »
In regards to the whole throwing them in the same pile thing.... how are they going to know who caught what unless they are watching you the ENTIRE time.... you can just say you caught 25 and the other person caught 25 and it will not make a difference.... and even if they say they were watching you the entire time they have no proof unless it is recorded so if they can't prove it there is no evidence of who caught what.

He can write you a ticket because when in a single pile there is no clear way to define who possesses what.  The law says or will say 25 fish per person.  If he writes the ticket, you either have to pay it, not pay it and have a warrant placed on you or fight it in court, where even if you win you still will have a couple hundred in court costs.  It is not worth the hassle and is pretty easy to keep piles separate.  Hopefully the first year it goes into effect they will just issue warnings so people get used to keeping catches separate.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #159 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:03 PM »
He can write you a ticket because when in a single pile there is no clear way to define who possesses what.  The law says or will say 25 fish per person.  If he writes the ticket, you either have to pay it, not pay it and have a warrant placed on you or fight it in court, where even if you win you still will have a couple hundred in court costs.  It is not worth the hassle and is pretty easy to keep piles separate.  Hopefully the first year it goes into effect they will just issue warnings so people get used to keeping catches separate.

Here in NY we always keep the fish in the same pile and the DEC officer comes around and says what'd you guys catch... If you're fishing with someone else and it's obvious who cares who catches how much?.... I'm surprised they are that strict in Indiana and not here in NY cause they will write you for anything they can make up here in NY

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:04 PM »

Never done this in michigan.   But in wisconsin been checked several times and never had a problem.   With the separation of fish between the group.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Never done this in michigan.   But in wisconsin been checked several times and never had a problem.   With the separation of fish between the group.

I am sure it depends on if the CO wants to enforce the law to the letter or use common sense.  I just know what the CO at Juno lake told us when we came off the lake.  He said they need to be separate when you are fishing and when you carry them off the ice.  I also know I am not going to roll the dice and hope the CO is in a good mood when he shows up.  All the times I have been checked on the ice and in the boat, I have found the more your 'stuff' they are interested in is in order, the nicer they are and quicker they move on to someone else.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #162 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:40 AM »
As I said earlier.  I have only limited out once ever, and that was with crappie.  Since there has been no bluegill limits, I have really never given it any thought.  If and when the new law goes into effect(which I completely concur with) I will have to change my fishing practices.  That is to say, I never in my life have paid much attention to catching gills. 

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Nov 28, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I don't see it online but did crappie used to have a boat aggregate limit? If aggregate is the right word

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I don't see it online but did crappie used to have a boat aggregate limit? If aggregate is the right word

Not sure what you are asking or if this clears it up, but as long as I can remember Crappie have been 25 per person per day in IN.  That does not mean if 2 people are in a boat one can catch 35 and the other 15 to come up with a 2 man limit.  Yes it happens all the time, but one person in that case is over his limit by 10 fish.  Impossible to enforce unless the CO is watching and counting who is keeping what. 

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I thought that a boat used to have a limit regardless of how many people was on it but I've been known to be wrong more than I care to admit. I don't have an old reg book to look it up and I didn't see that to be the case online so I was just checking as I'm sure someone on here would know better than me

Offline oteymc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:39 PM »
I fish in so many states, it is hard to keep straight, but I believe that bldfrt is correct.  I think it used to be 25 crappie limit per person, but 40 or 50 per boat or something like that.  I just looked on the DNR website and couldn't find it though.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:23 PM »
I fish in so many states, it is hard to keep straight, but I believe that bldfrt is correct.  I think it used to be 25 crappie limit per person, but 40 or 50 per boat or something like that.  I just looked on the DNR website and couldn't find it though.

I don't ever recall seeing that type of language in the Indiana rule book.  Then again I don't think I have ever crappie fished with more than 2 others in the boat.  Are you sure you are not thinking of another state?

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:37 AM »

I don't ever recall seeing a "boat limit" in the Indiana Regs. 

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I dont think theres a boat limit either but im sure people do that with lake mich perch

Offline oteymc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Yea, I could definitely be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time.  Must be another state.  I remember reading it and thinking it was a pretty good rule. 

Offline oteymc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Found it, its Mississippi.  15 daily bag limit and 40 daily boat limit for boats with 3 or more anglers.  As you probably know, MS really takes good care of their Crappie fisheries, and have 4 of the top 10 crappie fisheries in the US to show for it.

Sorry to muddy the waters, when I saw bldfrt's post it struck a chord with me and knew I had seen it before.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Nov 30, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I dont think theres a boat limit either but im sure people do that with lake mich perch

I would venture to say that people do it everywhere in this state concerning fish that have a bag limit.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I think people are better off reading the regulation book themselves.  Every year I see people state regulations/laws that don't exist.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #174 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:06 AM »
I don't think the create printed pamphlets anymore.  It think you have to get them online and I don't think they are available until mid March or so.

I think the reason for the licenses to start April 1st is to give a newly elected Governor and state representives time to react before the new license year starts in case they want to make changes.  I think the Gov. appoints the DNR head etc., so allowing some transition time and the chance for new ideas before the next license year is probably a good idea.

thanks for the input. sounds logical to me.

and yes they still print the rule books. i get both every year. ill have to start checking to see when they get out.

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #175 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:22 AM »
no "boat limit" on the books. like bruce stated get and read/interpret the rules for yourself.

as for the pile. im pretty sure its for the law to prove, not the accused. we have never had them say anything about it, yet. in summer there is one cooler of ice in the boat, and it regularly gets filled with 2 or 3 guy's limits.(crappie) seems like all the other boats around us is doing the same thing too.

OANN the real story

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #176 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:43 AM »
I realize that the society we live in today places great emphasis on making law enforcement work as hard as possible to prove their case, but what is so difficult about keeping separate piles of fish? Sure, it may be next to impossible for the CO to prove who caught what, but why even put him/her, yourself through the hassle in the first place?

There won't be an issue if you keep individual groups, so why make things as difficult as you can, just because you can? Why spend time arguing with a CO when you could be fishing? What is the mindset behind doing so? What right has been terribly and unfairly infringed upon by not being able to throw all the fish together on the ice?

Keeping all the fish together in the livewell during warmer months...totally understand that, and I see where some are making the direct comparison to ice fishing. But it's much easier to separate your catch on the ice, so why not do so?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:58 AM »
I don't think it was so much keeping piles on ice separate as it was live well issues or extra coolers with extra bags of ice. I personally see the bull males and sow females becoming the main target though. Catching a 25 limit then bumping the smaller fish out with the bigger fish. Spark you raise fish. What in your opinion would make for giant panfish? I would think slot limits could be the answer...

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #178 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:17 AM »
If I had to choose one or the other, I would prefer a slot. But that's why blanket regs are such a tough call. The trick with bluegills is to leave the largest size class of males unmolested. But that size is not a constant, and may vary considerably from one lake to another. There's a big difference between big bluegills, and trophy bluegills. If the goal is too simply improve the size classes, which I'm sure is the plan, then in my opinion a protected slot together with a limit would yield the best results IN MOST CASES....again, lots of variables.

By way of example, let's say a lake contains 10" bluegills. My idea would be to limit fish over 10" to one per angler, no fish between 9-10" may be taken, 25 daily limit on 7-9" fish. That's a lot of measuring.

So much depends on fertility of water, cover/structure, (weeds), predator type and density, fishing pressure......difficul t if not impossible to have one plan work for all BOW. This is where private waters can be superior to most public venues. Management can be much more aggressive and specialized.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:18 AM »
I realize that the society we live in today places great emphasis on making law enforcement work as hard as possible to prove their case, but what is so difficult about keeping separate piles of fish? Sure, it may be next to impossible for the CO to prove who caught what, but why even put him/her, yourself through the hassle in the first place?

There won't be an issue if you keep individual groups, so why make things as difficult as you can, just because you can? Why spend time arguing with a CO when you could be fishing? What is the mindset behind doing so? What right has been terribly and unfairly infringed upon by not being able to throw all the fish together on the ice?

Keeping all the fish together in the livewell during warmer months...totally understand that, and I see where some are making the direct comparison to ice fishing. But it's much easier to separate your catch on the ice, so why not do so?

Old habits are hard to break I suppose.  I very rarely do it when I am with a "fishing buddy".  But when I am with my wife, or my children, we keep them all together.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.