Author Topic: 10 pound Erie walleye  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 10 pound Erie walleye
« Reply #60 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Just my 2cents worth!!!!!
The main breeders for walleye are the 2-6 pounders.
The 8-10 lb plus fish may have lots of eggs but their fertility rate is much lower than the smaller fish.... So taking a big fish out isnt going to hurt as much as taking the smaller ones.
At least thats what the biologist say!!!!!!
Same with bass!!!!!

Definitely true, as with every species on the planet.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Mar 05, 2014, 06:38 AM »
I would take a picture and throw them back since I don't care to eat them. Would be a blast to pull one in though I'm sure!

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:41 AM »
I hope that if any of you guys are deer hunters that you will pass all the 3 1/2-6 1/2 year old bucks you see. They are the most proficient breeders in the herd. Take a couple fawns or young bucks they taste better anyway ;)

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #63 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:43 AM »
I hope that if any of you guys are deer hunters that you will pass all the 3 1/2-6 1/2 year old bucks you see. They are the most proficient breeders in the herd. Take a couple fawns or young bucks they taste better anyway ;)

LOL!
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #64 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:37 AM »

there is an entirely new topic for deer. ever think of what you or your neighbors are feeding the deer, that you are feeding to your kids? say the neighbor feeds them mass amounts of growth hormones, from some store bought(unregulated) " super nuclear horn grow" junk. what is that doing to the people that eat that deer?  talk about a topic to get the fur on end in a deer hunting forum! lol  some get all bent out of shape. other people never thought about it that way. kinda scary to ponder too deep though.

and im with you on the tender vittles, slabber. nothing like a third of a back strap, from an 80#er, seared in bacon grease, with eggs, in the morning. :P :P :P great now im hungry. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #65 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:54 AM »
This is a very touchy subject on all the forums I frequent ,especially during the Maumee River run. I think subject gets locked more than any other I've seen. Living in Ohio and fishing Lake Erie and the Maumee river my whole life, I have my own opinion on this subject, and they are only my opinions. there's no shortage of armchair biologists out there. At the end of the day, you have to do what you think is best in your eyes, and your wasting your time if you think you can change others views.  Some people think just because its within the laws, its the right thing to do. All the numbers of how many walleyes are in the lake are just "estimates" based on formulas plugged into charts. I would personally never look down on anyone keeping a few trophy walleyes........... i personally prefer to eat perch, but if im forced eat a walleye its gonna be a 17 or 18" jack  ;D

X2......one of the better responses to this thread. 

After my first trip to Erie and bringing home a few 5-6 pounders....I realized they're not that tastey (the smaller fish are much better).  But my mindset was catch a lot of fish and "keep" a limit.  I thought that "keeping the fish" no matter the size, justified the money, time and effort I invested in these trips.

That's not the case for me anymore.  I really enjoy catching fish ....I love the challenge and the preparation as long as the preparation doesn't turn into work! LOL!  I only "keep" when I want to eat fish.

Now I do have a goal to catch a big Lake Erie walleye.  My goal is 30" or greater.  If I achieve that goal I'm torn if I should keep the fish or do a replica.  Whatever I decide I will be very happy.

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #66 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:25 AM »
there is an entirely new topic for deer. ever think of what you or your neighbors are feeding the deer, that you are feeding to your kids? say the neighbor feeds them mass amounts of growth hormones, from some store bought(unregulated) " super nuclear horn grow" junk. what is that doing to the people that eat that deer?  talk about a topic to get the fur on end in a deer hunting forum! lol  some get all bent out of shape. other people never thought about it that way. kinda scary to ponder too deep though.

and im with you on the tender vittles, slabber. nothing like a third of a back strap, from an 80#er, seared in bacon grease, with eggs, in the morning. :P :P :P great now im hungry. lol

I hear what your saying, but will take my chances on venison over store bought superfarm beef and pork!

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:50 AM »

Are you sure about that? Multiple free range studies have shown that 1 1/2- 2 1/2 yr old bucks in most areas do 80% of the breeding. Multiple reasons why with the main one being there are just more of them and they do not lay as low as the bigger bucks. In other words the big ones usually don't get big and stay that way by chasing tail all over during the rut. They do breed but only a small percentage and mostly at night. You do more damage taking a great genetic 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 out of a herd then a 4 1/2 because that younger deer will usually breed more does and you don't need a old deer to pass good genetics. 

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Are you sure about that? Multiple free range studies have shown that 1 1/2- 2 1/2 yr old bucks in most areas do 80% of the breeding. Multiple reasons why with the main one being there are just more of them and they do not lay as low as the bigger bucks. In other words the big ones usually don't get big and stay that way by chasing tail all over during the rut. They do breed but only a small percentage and mostly at night. You do more damage taking a great genetic 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 out of a herd then a 4 1/2 because that younger deer will usually breed more does and you don't need a old deer to pass good genetics.

I believe I said most proficient. Having the opportunity to know some very highly looked upon hunters in the industry I believe I have a little knowledge when it comes to whitetails. I won't get into hunting as this is a fishing forum but you are more than welcome to pm me and I will elaborate more on why I posted that statement.

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Its not a topic thats really debatable you sometimes don't know who is on the other end so it may come as a suprise I do know a great deal about whitetails beyond just hunting them. Proficient is defined as skilled and experienced and I agree with you on that because that is no doubt a mature buck. They do not however do the majority of the breeding despite having multiple breeding seasons behind them. Infact the older they get the more concerned they become about saving there own hide vs actual breeding. Studies done on captive deer or on large expanses of private ground may differ but they are not the deer 98% of hunters pursue. I personally study deer all year round and know habits inside and out and I observe much higher breeding with young bucks in comparison to older. The young deer cover more ground and breed a higher percentage of does so harvesting a young deer will impact the % of bred does more so then a mature buck. You also don't need a old deer to pass great genetics either so for older deer to be considered the prime breeders for a herd is arguable especially in areas with heavy hunting pressure where my personal studies and yearly oberservations take place. Passing young bucks not only allows the smaller bucks to grow but you get a high % of bred does from season to season especially in areas with very low buck to doe ratios.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Having hunted multiple state's on big tracks of land I have to disagree. My farm in west central Indiana is roughly 6000 acres and from what I have observed in the 28 years I have hunted it is that a 1 1/2 old buck just doesn't have a chance at breeding. Now go up one year to a 2 1/2 his odds go up dramatically. 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 do far more breeding than any 1 1/2 old imo. You won't see as many 4-5 yr old bucks running around at high noon in a wide open field as you will 1-2&3 yr olds because they are more efficient at breeding. They move at dark on a mission to find the most receptive doe at the time. The debate could go on and on so regardless of the I know better than you crap be it a 160 inch buck or a limit of 10 pound walleye if it's done right and within the laws and has a special meaning to the person do it.

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:46 PM »
So your saying 6K acres of personal farm is the avg joe hunter? Your observations on your farm are not statewide stats. You could be right about what happens on your farm but it most likely varies from statewide avg. Look at where the majority of hunters hunt were talking the 80% of the hunters hunting public or less then 300 acres. That is what compromises most of the states herd. 3.5 yr+ bucks take up less then 20% of the total buck population in these areas, harvest stats alone reflect this. I also hunt in many other areas and in Iowa 3.5yr+ old bucks are much more common and take up the majority of the breeding but that is not Indiana. Your farm is your farm but it is not to be confused with a state wide herd. Micro managed tracts have higher buck age and higher buck to doe ratios giving the 3.5yr bucks the higher breeding %. For those interested in this topic google buck breeding success and age. In areas where yearlings take up at least 60% of the herd which is most of indiana, yearlings and 2.5yr bucks will do up to 70% of the breeding. Now areas that have 50% of bucks 3.5yr or older the 3.5yr bucks can do up to 70% of the breeding. Which could be what you are seeing if you have a high % of 3.5yr bucks. Now I don't know about you but statewide 50% of our bucks are not 3.5yr class animals. Deer are not Elk with herems even the 1.5yr olds get in on breeding on the best of ranches.   

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:07 PM »
I love to deer hunt and I'm impressed with the knowledge you both seem to have on the topic.........BUT

This thread was HI-JACKED...!!!!

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Exactly. This is why I hate to post anything to make a little humor because it always turns into a pissing match of I know more than you. I'm gonna keep doing what I do best. Catch 10 pound plus walleye and kill big deer. I'll let my walls and cooler do the talkin for me. Peace out I'm Erie bound.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:25 PM »
No worries guys!  Start a thread if you want.....was very good info!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:38 PM »
.......BUT

This thread was HI-JACKED...!!!!
I agree. Lets get back to harvesting 10lb hawg eyes  ;D

Offline Ice Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Mar 05, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I apoligize for hijacking the wall hanger walleye thread was not my original intent. If someone legally catches big walleyes its there right to eat them if they wish. Walleyes in Erie are migratory fish similar to salmon in lake michigan so it would be hard to determine if releasing these fish would have any significant impact on future wallhanger fishing beyond educated guessing. In lake Michigan we have had king stockings cut back as most would know but the size is making up for it. I wonder if lake Erie would be the same way with fewer walleye but gigantic fish. I could only imagine more feed for fewer fish on Erie.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I apoligize for hijacking the wall hanger walleye thread was not my original intent. If someone legally catches big walleyes its there right to eat them if they wish. Walleyes in Erie are migratory fish similar to salmon in lake michigan so it would be hard to determine if releasing these fish would have any significant impact on future wallhanger fishing beyond educated guessing. In lake Michigan we have had king stockings cut back as most would know but the size is making up for it. I wonder if lake Erie would be the same way with fewer walleye but gigantic fish. I could only imagine more feed for fewer fish on Erie.

these 10 lb+ fish have been coming out of erie year after year for the last 20 years, that im aware of as long as i have been on them waters... ALL tourny's on erie are kill tourny's, tourny fisherman are going for the biggest fish possible, if they were worried about the size of fish and reproduction im sure they would stop the kill tourny's to begin with. erie produces big fish and will continue to do so. this year ice fishing has very little impact on the population of the fish. come on out to erie from april till october once, you will begin to understand what all is going on.

this thread is better off posted on an ohio thread somewhere so the locals can give you the better facts with more truth rather than harp on guys that are going out spending hard earned money amd countless hours getting gear and such together. alot goes into an erie trip soft or hardwatet, a guy catching some trophy fish for long lasting memories is no big deal. cry to the charter boats and head boats in regard to this matter and sit back and watch the info and point of veiws that come soaring through the thread. i fished a tourny last october. 101 boats, me and the rest of the team placed 27th. we were ONLY 1 LB 8 OZ from cashing a check, with just over 40 lbs for our best 5 fish, which was top 10 places cashed out. so, look at the consistency just in that tourny alone
Got one goin'!

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Mike are you goin with or what? I'm ready to go.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Mike are you goin with or what? I'm ready to go.

if there is room on that trailer for another quad im just sitting here doing nothing. lol
Got one goin'!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:44 PM »
OK. I'll be that guy! Why would anyone mount a 10 lb walleye from Erie ?? They seem to be too common?. Not really a trophy out of that water?
Paul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:58 PM »
OK. I'll be that guy! Why would anyone mount a 10 lb walleye from Erie ?? They seem to be too common?. Not really a trophy out of that water?
Paul

i always told myself my first double digit fish was going on the wall, well that didnt happen caught numerous fish that size, finally one day took a 12 and hung it up. now i want a 13-14 lb fish. its all in ur goal. if u want a double digit fish for the wall, go to erie and get one. its all in what makes you happy and the experience doing it. the 12 i put on the wall came during a tourny fishing with my father and was on my birthday, was the big fish of the day for us, and was on a lure i picked after a few hours of trolling and not catching anything.
Got one goin'!

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #82 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I put my first 10 from Erie on the wall. Now I am after a "teenager". Being that I only have the time to go in the beginning of June anymore, this goal has been that much harder to realize. Hope we get good ice there again next year, I'm in!!

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I told myself that the first pound and a half Bluegill that I caught was going on the wall. But when I finally held that fish, I just couldn't do it. And since that time I have released several more of equal or slightly greater size. Everytime I think "this is the one", I'm reminded of something I was taught as a boy, growing up in an outdoor orientated family.

Nearly everyone in my extended family hunted and fished, as a means of putting food on the table. And most of those guys were pretty slick at it too. But no one, not one single person, had a trophy anything on the wall. The way it was explained to me was perhaps overly simplistic, but it's stuck with me for all these years....that being that there are three reasons to kill any animal (including fish)....the three "P's"

Profit.....usually by selling fur.
Provisions.....to keep your family fed.
Protection....self explanatory, if somewhat unlikely in these parts.

There's a fourth "P" that was regarded as unacceptable in my family....Pride. To kill something just because it was the biggest of its kind, simply wasn't condoned.

That was a long time ago, and a lot has changed since then. And while I respect and acknowledge the deeply personal reasons involved in deciding whether or not to hang a trophy on the wall, I still struggle with it where my own catches are concerned. For me, I've just seen too many trophy "walls"....I still think I would like a trophy Bluegill of two pounds or greater. ONE fish.....not just the biggest one to date.

There are big fish, and then there are trophy fish....for me, the trophy bar needs to be raised well beyond the reach of big fish, to include only a once-in-a-lifetime fish. I don't begrudge anyone their right to hang a fish on the wall. If it's legal, and the fishery can support it, and it makes you happy, then I say go for it.

Just my opinion, offered as one guy's viewpoint. Not meant to pass judgement on anyone's harvest practices at all.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Not to go off topic but yes multiple 50"+ fish every year. He is an excellent musky fisherman and I have the pictures to prove it. That's not the point if the thread but pm me and I'll send you the proof if you want it.

You said multiple every year so you should have at least 4-5-6 or more photos of different 50+ skiis not just one.

So Lets see the PICS then, so you can prove it.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:23 PM »
i always told myself my first double digit fish was going on the wall, well that didnt happen caught numerous fish that size, finally one day took a 12 and hung it up. now i want a 13-14 lb fish. its all in ur goal. if u want a double digit fish for the wall, go to erie and get one. its all in what makes you happy and the experience doing it. the 12 i put on the wall came during a tourny fishing with my father and was on my birthday, was the big fish of the day for us, and was on a lure i picked after a few hours of trolling and not catching anything.

That would be a great fish/memory to have on the wall! I don't have any problem with anyone mounting any fish they want. Just kind of tongue and cheek with my comment...lol..seen so many big walleye pics from Erie this year...always a great fish!
Paul

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I told myself that the first pound and a half Bluegill that I caught was going on the wall. But when I finally held that fish, I just couldn't do it. And since that time I have released several more of equal or slightly greater size. Everytime I think "this is the one", I'm reminded of something I was taught as a boy, growing up in an outdoor orientated family.

Nearly everyone in my extended family hunted and fished, as a means of putting food on the table. And most of those guys were pretty slick at it too. But no one, not one single person, had a trophy anything on the wall. The way it was explained to me was perhaps overly simplistic, but it's stuck with me for all these years....that being that there are three reasons to kill any animal (including fish)....the three "P's"

Profit.....usually by selling fur.
Provisions.....to keep your family fed.
Protection....self explanatory, if somewhat unlikely in these parts.

There's a fourth "P" that was regarded as unacceptable in my family....Pride. To kill something just because it was the biggest of its kind, simply wasn't condoned.

That was a long time ago, and a lot has changed since then. And while I respect and acknowledge the deeply personal reasons involved in deciding whether or not to hang a trophy on the wall, I still struggle with it where my own catches are concerned. For me, I've just seen too many trophy "walls"....I still think I would like a trophy Bluegill of two pounds or greater. ONE fish.....not just the biggest one to date.

There are big fish, and then there are trophy fish....for me, the trophy bar needs to be raised well beyond the reach of big fish, to include only a once-in-a-lifetime fish. I don't begrudge anyone their right to hang a fish on the wall. If it's legal, and the fishery can support it, and it makes you happy, then I say go for it.

Just my opinion, offered as one guy's viewpoint. Not meant to pass judgement on anyone's harvest practices at all.

I like your 3 P's...lol
Reminds me of a story..back when I still lived at my parents in a small town. Couple of young boys had chased a squirrel into a tree in our yard. They ask me if I cared if they shot it. I said sure as long as you clean and eat it...long pause and they decided to let it be. I ask why they would kill a squirrel and waste it?. They agreed and grew up to be serial killers!, I think?
Paul

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Here is about the best facts I have seen posted anywhere.  Quote credited to Wakina on Walleye.com.

"Astronomical numbers"

"Once the 2003 hatch became mature adults there were roughly 35,000,000 adult breeders in lake Erie! Now assuming that only half of those adults were females of breeding age that would be roughly 17,500,000 mature females. The average number of eggs laid by a mature female is roughly 250,000. Please read the last post in this thread in the provided link as it is my source for the average number of eggs laid per mature female."

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1075.0.html

"So with 17,500,000 females laying an average of 250,000 eggs each that would be a total of 4,375,000,000,000. ...................... .......

http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...n.html#msg1644

"One more link!"

http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_sit...s/walleye.html

UR links don't work

Now for your figures. If the 2003 hatch was 35,000,000 then you can't use 35 mill as the adult number. A vary small % will make it to adults. Found the following on this link http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5162.html

Typically, 10 percent of the walleye fry (which are newly hatched walleye) released in walleye rearing ponds survive to become 4" fingerlings. The survival rate of fry dumped straight into a system in far less, maybe 5 percent.[/b]

So 5% of 35 mill is 1,750,000. That many will make it to fingerlings. Out of those 1.75mill how many make it to breeding age. Found no data on that so I will take a wild guess and say 25% will make it from fingerlings to adults. 25% of 1.75 mill = 437,500 adults. So now only half of those are females, that figures out to 218,750 females. U say each will lay 250,000 eggs. Then 54,687,500,000 eggs laid, thats allot of eggs.

If I'm wrong feel free to jump in and correct.

BTW, I have no opinion on the topic. But I caught a 4 LBers a few yrs back at Maxy. I ate it but it was not near as good as the 14-18" eyes. Any fish in the large size to me is flat, whether its gills, perch, eyes, crappy, etc. Its the same with anything.
THink about it, would you rather eat a steak from a 1.5 to 2 yr old cow, or a steak from a 10 yr old cow.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #88 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:08 PM »
UR links don't work

Now for your figures. If the 2003 hatch was 35,000,000 then you can't use 35 mill as the adult number. A vary small % will make it to adults. Found the following on this link http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5162.html

Typically, 10 percent of the walleye fry (which are newly hatched walleye) released in walleye rearing ponds survive to become 4" fingerlings. The survival rate of fry dumped straight into a system in far less, maybe 5 percent.[/b]

So 5% of 35 mill is 1,750,000. That many will make it to fingerlings. Out of those 1.75mill how many make it to breeding age. Found no data on that so I will take a wild guess and say 25% will make it from fingerlings to adults. 25% of 1.75 mill = 437,500 adults. So now only half of those are females, that figures out to 218,750 females. U say each will lay 250,000 eggs. Then 54,687,500,000 eggs laid, thats allot of eggs.

If I'm wrong feel free to jump in and correct.

BTW, I have no opinion on the topic. But I caught a 4 LBers a few yrs back at Maxy. I ate it but it was not near as good as the 14-18" eyes. Any fish in the large size to me is flat, whether its gills, perch, eyes, crappy, etc. Its the same with anything.
THink about it, would you rather eat a steak from a 1.5 to 2 yr old cow, or a steak from a 10 yr old cow.

You misread a part of what he wrote.  He said once the hatch from 2003 joined the 'adult breeder' stage there were 35 million breeding adults in lake Erie.  If you look at link posted on page 2 of the thread they estimated there were 68 million 2yr old fish in 2005 from the 2003 hatch.  Not sure how old they have to be to start breeding, but out of 68 million 2 yr olds, they certainly gave a huge boost to the breeding population once they matured.  If you redo the math using half of the 35 million adults from 2003 x 250,000 eggs you will get the same numbers as he posted.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Paul
x2, no offense. Fishing in a barrel. To each their own,imo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.