Author Topic: SURVIVAL RATE????  (Read 5444 times)

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SURVIVAL RATE????
« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:49 PM »
But still the reproduction rate is probably zip because of the conditions. Is there an inlet and a outlet that has moving water at Maxi or Bass?
Gator Nation

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:06 PM »
But still the reproduction rate is probably zip because of the conditions. Is there an inlet and a outlet that has moving water at Maxi or Bass?

Maxi has alot of rock and gin clear water with little to no suspended silt.  The wave action there may provide enough 'current' in addition to the clean water to allow a successful spawn, but I think the key is Maxi is getting 100 fingerlings @7" per acre and the lake is over 1800 acres so you get 18000 fish too big to be gobbled up by others.  Bass they are just dumping in fry at 200.00 a pop for 1million of them and hoping for the best.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Not on Bass but, I think there is a couple on Maxi. maybe First Sargent can clear this info up. He is probably pre-fishing for the tournament next weekend.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #63 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:53 PM »
here are some thoughts....from a non walleye guy......

if a lake recieves monies for fish or recieves stockings........it must have a public acess and they are not allowed weed kills!! or limited to 20% of the lake.
why throw good money after bad?? you stock it then take away the cover...this makes no sense!!  if the assc puts a priority on weed kill fine...those fish will go somewhere else. if you double the fingerling stockings it will still get the same net result at or below 2%.  the other fish just have more to munch and eat them later into the summer.

drop the limit to 3 eyes per angler

make the size 15" as in the st joe river, no shortage of males that size there.  it gets stocked with less (i believe) and produces way more and bigger fish than the other stocked places it seems.  why keep throwing the resources where it doesnt work well??  its a waste.

i do walleye fish in the winter and spring but i don't have much of a desire to go out and chase eyes on ice. fish all day for a couple bites?  hope for a 14" fish.  yes, they taste good and i eat more than my fair share.....but the entire walleye thing is a bit of a mystery to me!  in the northern half of the state the best you could rate any of the lakes would be poor..  granted there are times you can sack em up but for the most part not the case.
and just because they are the most requested fish to stock in the state doesn't mean we should put them where we think they might grow.
there are some decent (less poor ) lakes but things like the bass lake walleye stockings i just dont get.  i have seen pics and talked to some bass guys that happen on them in the spring and the concensus is they look a little (lot) scarwny!! maxxi and clear seem to put out some fish but alot of the others seem spotty.  keep in mind this is for lakes, not rivers and below trail races!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:40 PM »
here are some thoughts....from a non walleye guy......

if a lake recieves monies for fish or recieves stockings........it must have a public acess and they are not allowed weed kills!! or limited to 20% of the lake.
why throw good money after bad?? you stock it then take away the cover...this makes no sense!!  if the assc puts a priority on weed kill fine...those fish will go somewhere else. if you double the fingerling stockings it will still get the same net result at or below 2%.  the other fish just have more to munch and eat them later into the summer.

keep in mind that a lot of time, weed control can help native vegetation rebound, which is way more beneficial to fish than invasive weeds like eurasian watermilfoil. And also, there's such a thing as TOO much vegetation, it'll start hurting the fishery for a variety of reasons. I've seen plenty of smaller lakes that are entirely choked with weeds and the bluegill size structure is terrible, because there's too much cover and the predators can't thin them out

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 07, 2014, 05:14 PM »
not with the indiana DNR i can list too many lakes where the weed kill was just suposed to kill invasives.....then the natural weeds will come back.....but the milfoil comes back first!! so repeat stupid first mistake again
im calling BS on this one.
examples....
paw paw lake MI
manitou...that place is flat fricking void!!! alge blooms and nasty!! Still being treated started in 2004> hint: you cant kill it!!

webster,,,,again same promise...same result!!
http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-07-08/sports/32592557_1_milfoil-muskie-guide-weed

bass lake.....
beaver damn, i can go on!!
the Dnr hasn't got the memo milfoil is now part of indians lakes and will always be!  seen it in a lot of marshes duck hunting and they are the headwaters of many systems.
please list a lake helped by weed kill (sonar/florodine) that has had natural weeds reoccur ....im curious
and milfoil is way more benificial than ...NOTHING!!

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #66 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:08 PM »
not with the indiana DNR i can list too many lakes where the weed kill was just suposed to kill invasives.....then the natural weeds will come back.....but the milfoil comes back first!! so repeat stupid first mistake again
im calling BS on this one.
examples....
paw paw lake MI
manitou...that place is flat fricking void!!! alge blooms and nasty!! Still being treated started in 2004> hint: you cant kill it!!

webster,,,,again same promise...same result!!
http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2012-07-08/sports/32592557_1_milfoil-muskie-guide-weed

bass lake.....
beaver damn, i can go on!!
the Dnr hasn't got the memo milfoil is now part of indians lakes and will always be!  seen it in a lot of marshes duck hunting and they are the headwaters of many systems.
please list a lake helped by weed kill (sonar/florodine) that has had natural weeds reoccur ....im curious
and milfoil is way more benificial than ...NOTHING!!

I agree!!
Manitou was once one of the best bass waters in northern Indiana. It would take minimum 15 lbs to win a tourney from there. Now it is an empty cauldron of doom!!
Same thing was happening to Webster, but they stopped the killing just in the nick of time!! I am afraid for the lakes that lake associations get too much power on. These seem to be the ones most targeted by misguided ambitions of killing weeds.
As a fisherman. I love pulling into a weedy mess and trying my luck!!
We are at war with boaters again unfortunately!!
I hope I didn't hijack this thread!! ::)
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Gonna get a beat down for this comment. I don't understand why the DNR stocks walleye in Summit? There are no shad and the fishery was in good shape. Adding the walleye ,,I don't think has improved anything, other than walleye. All they do in Summit is eat gills, crappie, perch, bass and golden shiners. I don't see the benefit??
Paul

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I agree!!
Manitou was once one of the best bass waters in northern Indiana. It would take minimum 15 lbs to win a tourney from there. Now it is an empty cauldron of doom!!
Same thing was happening to Webster, but they stopped the killing just in the nick of time!! I am afraid for the lakes that lake associations get too much power on. These seem to be the ones most targeted by misguided ambitions of killing weeds.
As a fisherman. I love pulling into a weedy mess and trying my luck!!
We are at war with boaters again unfortunately!!
I hope I didn't hijack this thread!! ::)
No hijack at all, IMO So why not put millions of walleye in Manitou???? Sounds like they screwed it up now why not fix the problem.
Gator Nation

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:42 PM »
From what I gather. they will start with fry one year. Double it the following year. skip a year. Have a creel check done. If it is not up to their expectations may try some fingerlings in spring then some advanced fingerlings in fall. They did this to Bass and the same results happened. So, with this being said I think and they feel the best scenario for Bass is to continue the 1 to 1.3 million fry each year.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Now I know there's a dam on manitou, so wouldn't it have a decent inlet for spawning? Not sure of flow on it ???
Gator Nation

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:29 PM »
not trying to hi jack, and no biologist....
manitou use to be clear with lush weed beds. now its green/brown and the bottom is full of this black slimy goop that use to be weeds or just dead alge.  i would have to assume silt and what ever that stuff is would be an issue.  there are still plenty of bass there but they seem a bit stressed as they have turned into roamers chasing down food. a tourney there will have almost everyone with a limit...and its ounces that make the difference! we had less than 11 pounds and won a pretty big tourney there.

it seems the DNR and its stockings do the same thing over and over expecting different results.....hmmmm
i remember hearing about bass lake back in the day but that was before the weed kills became so prevelant.
bishop, you fish there alot,  is getting a limit a realistic idea if your heading there??

BASS LAKE 2014 WEED KILL PLAN:
see page 2 for 2014 plans.....nice, now they want the native weeds gone too!!
https://88a2654f-a-242554bb-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/basslakeconservancydistrict.com/blcd1/weed%20treatment.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cqX7YlIXAcyo_MzS8DFiGQhyJ5Vpv5fX0jjX6QLS0cu8YipQAOL8u1nOMns1Y4I5uPnl4532XDi_Itfi0iZKJrjlVrO2Lf2JPUtRjA36JMJzaENUOxMgAW16BvQS2ti-LyBOTTv6RUuI9w4esP5ntgR6iDLolEBKjVowdl3g2-3CONvqv88cUW3Lf-NaE58jTvSS3gvlJ_ldOhJbZInD2BocyFxjhJshDDQSQc0av9Ntu6CTDI%3D&attredirects=0

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:11 AM »
Back to my rock addition idea. Wouldn't the wave action from wind be enough to sustain the production of Frye from  eggs.  In regards to fisherman targeting these areas couldn't dnr designate that as a no fishing area. The predators that lurk also provide a food supply for the fish.  I know that fish cribs are beneficial to other species.  Why not walleyes?  The cribs also have the possibility of being habitat for crawfish but prove to be a benefit to the fish that inhabit the cribs.  I think the same balance could be obtained in the rock bottom area.  It seems to me it would be worth trying if the other system of stocking is not working. 

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:57 AM »
not trying to hi jack, and no biologist....
manitou use to be clear with lush weed beds. now its green/brown and the bottom is full of this black slimy goop that use to be weeds or just dead alge.  i would have to assume silt and what ever that stuff is would be an issue.  there are still plenty of bass there but they seem a bit stressed as they have turned into roamers chasing down food. a tourney there will have almost everyone with a limit...and its ounces that make the difference! we had less than 11 pounds and won a pretty big tourney there.

it seems the DNR and its stockings do the same thing over and over expecting different results.....hmmmm
i remember hearing about bass lake back in the day but that was before the weed kills became so prevelant.
bishop, you fish there alot,  is getting a limit a realistic idea if your heading there??

BASS LAKE 2014 WEED KILL PLAN:
see page 2 for 2014 plans.....nice, now they want the native weeds gone too!!
https://88a2654f-a-242554bb-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/basslakeconservancydistrict.com/blcd1/weed%20treatment.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cqX7YlIXAcyo_MzS8DFiGQhyJ5Vpv5fX0jjX6QLS0cu8YipQAOL8u1nOMns1Y4I5uPnl4532XDi_Itfi0iZKJrjlVrO2Lf2JPUtRjA36JMJzaENUOxMgAW16BvQS2ti-LyBOTTv6RUuI9w4esP5ntgR6iDLolEBKjVowdl3g2-3CONvqv88cUW3Lf-NaE58jTvSS3gvlJ_ldOhJbZInD2BocyFxjhJshDDQSQc0av9Ntu6CTDI%3D&attredirects=0

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Last year getting a limit was tough. You may catch 30 plus fish before 6 of them stretch the 14 inch mark. According to the biologist, the biggest reason that the fish aren't reproducing on bass lake is the amount of shallow water. It just warms up to fast in spring. Other contributing factors play into affect. it is mostly a sand bottom which is a good thing.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #75 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:35 AM »
This not pointed at anyone specifically...  How many of those eyes stretching 14 are kept. .. I would guess majority by most people ... which is fine and legal but sounds like the lake gets a ton of pressure .... majority of fish once legal get kept ... put and take  lake... people want bigger and more keepers but don't help the lake by keeping them all once they hit 14 ..  personally I would like to see the limits bumped a couple inches and lower the daily limit to 4....those 4 16 inchers would equal if not more than those 6 14s. 14s are pretty small fillets its amazing how the girth increases on a 16 or 17 eye compared to a 14. Probably not help the put the take situation but will improve the quality.   My 2 cents.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 08, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Back to my rock addition idea. Wouldn't the wave action from wind be enough to sustain the production of Frye from  eggs.  In regards to fisherman targeting these areas couldn't dnr designate that as a no fishing area. The predators that lurk also provide a food supply for the fish.  I know that fish cribs are beneficial to other species.  Why not walleyes?  The cribs also have the possibility of being habitat for crawfish but prove to be a benefit to the fish that inhabit the cribs.  I think the same balance could be obtained in the rock bottom area.  It seems to me it would be worth trying if the other system of stocking is not working.

Fish cribs are usually added in lakes that lack structure or many weeds.  They are normally not put shallow enough to encourage spawning and if they were they would become a water hazard for boaters and skiers.  The cribs provide colver for the smaller fish which attracts larger fish.  The fact the cribs attract smaller fish would be a disaster for spawning as they would gobble up the eggs since walleye don't defend a nest. 

As for wave action on bass, what happens when you get a calm day or it gets calm at night.  I don't think bass is as clear as maxi and if the lake has off color water due to silt the eggs would quickly smother.  Constant current is best, but under the right conditions, constant wave action (which rarely happens in the same direction for the amount of time needed for the eggs to hatch), could bear some fry.  Wave action can also smother the eggs if those same waves stir up the bottom and dirty the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.