Author Topic: DNR proposal for new year  (Read 4954 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: DNR proposal for new year
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Ain't that the truth Cecil! I will be following this proposal closely, with a keen interest in the impact it might have on the fisheries, should it pass. Like you, I believe a blanket proposal leaves something to be desired, but realize that it's  difficult, if not impossible, to evaluate and govern each of the state's many lakes independently.

The blanket rule (if that is what they go for) is a start.  Hopefully it will help more lakes than it will hurt.  It will also raise alot of funds for the DNR if they just patrol the lakes from mid may to the end of june.  The guys will coolers full off the beds don't care about the resource now or they would not be taking that many at that time.  They will be the same ones that won't follow the rule and if the DNR hammers them with fines and makes it public, it may deter others from trying the same.  I would be for them raising the license fee to 40.00 or more a year if it puts more feet on the ground to enforce the current and new rules.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:46 PM »
The blanket rule (if that is what they go for) is a start.  Hopefully it will help more lakes than it will hurt.  It will also raise alot of funds for the DNR if they just patrol the lakes from mid may to the end of june.  The guys will coolers full off the beds don't care about the resource now or they would not be taking that many at that time.  They will be the same ones that won't follow the rule and if the DNR hammers them with fines and makes it public, it may deter others from trying the same.  I would be for them raising the license fee to 40.00 or more a year if it puts more feet on the ground to enforce the current and new rules.

Totally agree wax.

Offline juiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Does this really surprise anyone that lives or hunts in this terrible state?  The DNR has single handily ruined very bit of hunting and fishing in this state.  Tele check, urban deer zones, basically unlimited bonus county,antler less only, they have killed off the deer heard, they do not maintain any state properties or publicly funded boat ramps, they removed all of the boats from state properties for duck hunting.  When is enough enough?  This state has been in a downward spiral for the past 4 years.  They have not done anything positive for the sportsmen it has all had negative effects on us, a bluegill limit?  C'mon really they are more worried about limiting the number of bluegill as opposed to the number of deer you can harvest.  Which state property or public access have you been to recently?  How was it?  In disrepair, trash all over the place, no one there, no information? We sportsmen pay for this in one way or another either by taxes or license sales we need to stand up to these Indianapolis IDIOTS and pull their heads out of their asses.  We demand more not less the time is now not later I fear by the time my son is old enough to fish I they'll probably have ZERO hook restriction by then....

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:53 PM »
        OK lets say for sake of argument that the suggested changes are passed AND enforced. What do you see the results on the fisheries being? In a 5 year period what changes? Do we see larger fish? Do we see better fishing?
        Or do we maybe see some overpopulation? Do we already have a stunted breed of fish in many of our waters that bag limits would not effect fish size?
         I don't know any of these answers. If it means improved fisheries and a chance to create a larger population of those bull gills - I'm all for it. I've heard this debate and curious of what most people see the effect being.
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:01 PM »
There are plenty of deer around.  I see herds of them about every time I am driving at dusk.  Have just about hit 2 in the last couple weeks.  You may need to change where you are looking for deer.  Just becuase you are allowed to shoot 8 or 10 or whatever it is does not mean as a hunter you have to do it.  Blame the 'sportsman' for not having any self control.   Humans have ruined alot of habitat and driven the deer into neighborhoods, onto the roads where they are hit and damage cars and people and destroy crops.  Last time I checked bluegills did none of the above.  The DNR is doing what they can to provide hunting opportunities while keeping the herd at a reasonable level.

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:06 PM »
There are plenty of deer around.  I see herds of them about every time I am driving at dusk.  Have just about hit 2 in the last couple weeks.  You may need to change where you are looking for deer.  Just becuase you are allowed to shoot 8 or 10 or whatever it is does not mean as a hunter you have to do it.  Blame the 'sportsman' for not having any self control.   Humans have ruined alot of habitat and driven the deer into neighborhoods, onto the roads where they are hit and damage cars and people and destroy crops.  Last time I checked bluegills did none of the above.  The DNR is doing what they can to provide hunting opportunities while keeping the herd at a reasonable level.

I have to ask... Do you hunt deer?
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:11 PM »
I'm torn on this one.  I have limited time to fish and like to put on a fish fry for my friends.  What is the difference between going out five days in a row and taking 25 a day versus one day keeping 100+.  I've been skunked basically the last two outings and I'm fine with it because I know by doing my homework, I will have my day.  It isn't easy catching that many fish through the ice.  If the purpose of the proposal is to make people feel better about themselves because they struggle to catch fish, then I'm against it.  I don't like that public opinion will play the part of their decision.  I want it based on facts that by changing the regulations, they will be helping the population.  I've watched weed management in the summer and know it has nothing to do with the ecosystem but rather to please an association. 

I've been fishing for quite awhile and the fish are still there and ever as big as they have been where I fish.  Like always, one bad outing doesn't mean people have destroyed a fishery.  Heck Round lake kicks out tons of big fish every year at first ice.  Then the fish get educated and only small fish get caught.  Then the next year it happens again. 

With all that being said, I only gill fish through the ice so I have no idea what goes on at other times of the year for panfish.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:16 PM »
I think the 25 limit on panfish should only be in place through the spawning season. That is when the most damage is done. Panfish need to be harvested on bigger bodies of water and the Ice season is the perfect time to do it.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:18 PM »
        OK lets say for sake of argument that the suggested changes are passed AND enforced. What do you see the results on the fisheries being? In a 5 year period what changes? Do we see larger fish? Do we see better fishing?
        Or do we maybe see some overpopulation? Do we already have a stunted breed of fish in many of our waters that bag limits would not effect fish size?
         I don't know any of these answers. If it means improved fisheries and a chance to create a larger population of those bull gills - I'm all for it. I've heard this debate and curious of what most people see the effect being.

There are no guarantees either way. Every BOW is different, and will respond differently. This is a case of "try it and see"...which is pretty much the case with all new regs. No iron-clad answers here, but if a change is to be made, than it has to start somewhere.

I would imagine that the DNR would evaluate those changes after a time, and either adjust the regs or try a different approach.

If you're asking if a panfish limit would guarantee big bulls statewide, then the answer is probably not. But it's an important first step, even if it gets tweaked here and there as time goes on. That's part of the process.

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:24 PM »
I wonder if there are any case studies to draw from?
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:27 PM »
maybe the dnr has witnessed them "bearded" fellas taking five gallon buckets of 3-4 inch pannies ????  some of us have...

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:45 PM »
I'm torn on this one.  I have limited time to fish and like to put on a fish fry for my friends.  What is the difference between going out five days in a row and taking 25 a day versus one day keeping 100+. 

From the standpoint of the impact to the BOW itself...probably nothing. As I've mentioned before, the lake doesn't care if 100 bluegills were harvested by a single angler in one day, by that same, single angler over the course of five days, or by that angler and two buddies in one day. It doesn't matter if he/she put those 100 bluegills in the freezer, give them away to folks who are unable to fish, or have a big fry for their friends. The fact is, 100 bluegills are gone from that ecosystem. Notice I didn't say that damage was done, only that those fish were gone.

This brings us right back to "not every BOW is the same"...and they will react to those 100 missing bluegills in different ways.

From the standpoint of the angler, the impact of 25 per day is much greater. After all, many are unable to fish for five days in a week's time, and the DNR knows this. This is why a daily limit works to limit harvests, for whatever species are involved. Reducing the time available for harvests has a direct bearing on the numbers of animals/fish that are harvested.

It's easier for most to get one day off work and catch 100 bluegills, than it is to get four days off work, and catch 25 per day.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:00 PM »
I have to ask... Do you hunt deer?

I used to, but not recently.  What does that have to do with the number of deer I see just driving?   My point was there are still a ton of deer around where I live and drive.  Maybe different where you live.  Because I don't hunt anymore means the deer I see are not real?  Guys I know that hunt are not having any issues seeing plenty of deer. 

Point still stands...blaming the DNR for the 'rules' causing the deer herd decline (his opinion) is laying the blame in the wrong place.  No one forces any hunter to shoot more than 1 a season.  Example, the DNR says you can keep 5 LM bass a day over 14", but that does not mean you shuold do it just because it is in the rules.  If all bass tournament fishermen kept 5 a day there would be very few LM in IN lakes. Tournament anglers and most recreational anglers let the bass go to enjoy another day despite the 'rules' saying we could all keep them.  DNR knows bass are 90% C&R so they leave the rule in place.  When they put the rules in to allow 4, 6, 8 deer in some counties, they probably underestimated the overzealous hunters that would actually shoot that many.  Hunters need to show some restraint if they care about the resource.  Get your buck and one doe and call it a season.   Should be basic math to anyone including the DNR that deer have 1 fawn (sometimes twins) a year.  Everytime they kill a doe they are removing 2 or 3 from next years population.  Multiply that by 5 or 6 doe tags (because the DNR rules say they can), add in the affects of the virus and yotes killing fawns, and it is not hard to see why some are complaining there are no deer.  One or two guys that go by 'if its brown its down' hunting mentality can put a dent in the herd in a hurry especially if they hunt the same area. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:19 PM »
maybe the dnr has witnessed them "bearded" fellas taking five gallon buckets of 3-4 inch pannies ????  some of us have...

I've seen plenty of nonbearded folks doing the same. Some people don't know when to stop when they find them on the beds.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:24 PM »
I had an interesting conversation a couple weeks ago with a C.O.  I asked him if there would ever be a limit of 25 for panfish?  He did not have all the info but thought some lakes would benefit from it while others seem to keep producing even with high panfish harvest.  He said he checks MANY fisherman during spring and summer with coolers full of panfish....hundreds of fish!  And many times the same fishermen multiple times.  One guy bragged to him that this was his 5th cooler full this week!

He said the spring/summer boat fishermen really slaughter the panfish!....ice fishermen don't even come close.

Could that be because most years we don't have extended ice?  I don't know about you but I think Indiana ice fisherman are some the most skilled panfish anglers I have ever observed and I've fish several parts of the country. What some people can do with flies and light line is simply amazing. I respectfully disagree with the C.O. Most likely when he shows up things change quickly. I know in open water as soon as they launch the powerboaters start behaving. I think they could have a field day on some of our larger lakes like Wawasee if they came in an unmarked boat without a uniform. LOL
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:28 PM »

Amen. CO's are not a priority according to our legislature and I got frustrated with reporting violations years ago. Just not enough to go around and they can't just show up at one of a 100 lakes in Steuben County e.g., at the drop of a hat. Many times I called in serious violations only to have to leave a message and be called back three days later. It's not their fault but it was disappointing.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Does this really surprise anyone that lives or hunts in this terrible state?  The DNR has single handily ruined very bit of hunting and fishing in this state.  Tele check, urban deer zones, basically unlimited bonus county,antler less only, they have killed off the deer heard, they do not maintain any state properties or publicly funded boat ramps, they removed all of the boats from state properties for duck hunting.  When is enough enough?  This state has been in a downward spiral for the past 4 years.  They have not done anything positive for the sportsmen it has all had negative effects on us, a bluegill limit?  C'mon really they are more worried about limiting the number of bluegill as opposed to the number of deer you can harvest.  Which state property or public access have you been to recently?  How was it?  In disrepair, trash all over the place, no one there, no information? We sportsmen pay for this in one way or another either by taxes or license sales we need to stand up to these Indianapolis IDIOTS and pull their heads out of their asses.  We demand more not less the time is now not later I fear by the time my son is old enough to fish I they'll probably have ZERO hook restriction by then....

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever responded to a rules change proposal? Are you involved in any way to improve things in the state? Or is everything negative for you? I'm sorry but, "The DNR has singe handidly ruined every bit of hunting and fishing in the state" reminds me of the people that complain about their politicians but never vote.

And if everything has been ruined, why are you on this site? Apparently according to your statement above -- you don't fish anymore as there's no point in it -- as everything has been ruined. What you're saying is totally the opposite of a few posters here that say fishing is great and there is no need for a bag limit. Maybe your fishing skills need improving?

Please don't take offense at my response but I don't know any other way to respond to it. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:35 PM »
I wonder if there are any case studies to draw from?

Lots of case studies. Every state around us has limits on panfish and has studied the effect. Both Illinois and Ohio have actually taken it a step farther and eliminated the harvest of the largest bull males on select small research lakes in state parks and the results are astounding.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:00 AM »
All the major reservoirs in the southern half of the state have pretty much suffered the same fate.  They start out as unbelievable bluegill fisheries then suddenly almost overnight are dink factories and they never really come back unless drained .  Has nothing to do with limits .  One only has to compare the fish sampling records and when the shad population explodes.  You have places like Boggs Creek, where the only recourse has been to drain the lake and start over.  They even offered rewards for information on anyone putting shad into the lake.  Take a lake like Summit, which seems to be a bluegill factory year after year, and you probably wont find many shad there if any.  We used to have a 25 limit on bluegill in Indiana.  All the 25 limits in the world would not help reservoirs like Monroe or Patoka I'm afraid.

HHD

Offline TylerRyan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:12 AM »
I used to, but not recently.  What does that have to do with the number of deer I see just driving?   My point was there are still a ton of deer around where I live and drive.  Maybe different where you live.  Because I don't hunt anymore means the deer I see are not real?  Guys I know that hunt are not having any issues seeing plenty of deer. 

Point still stands...blaming the DNR for the 'rules' causing the deer herd decline (his opinion) is laying the blame in the wrong place.  No one forces any hunter to shoot more than 1 a season.  Example, the DNR says you can keep 5 LM bass a day over 14", but that does not mean you shuold do it just because it is in the rules.  If all bass tournament fishermen kept 5 a day there would be very few LM in IN lakes. Tournament anglers and most recreational anglers let the bass go to enjoy another day despite the 'rules' saying we could all keep them.  DNR knows bass are 90% C&R so they leave the rule in place.  When they put the rules in to allow 4, 6, 8 deer in some counties, they probably underestimated the overzealous hunters that would actually shoot that many.  Hunters need to show some restraint if they care about the resource.  Get your buck and one doe and call it a season.   Should be basic math to anyone including the DNR that deer have 1 fawn (sometimes twins) a year.  Everytime they kill a doe they are removing 2 or 3 from next years population.  Multiply that by 5 or 6 doe tags (because the DNR rules say they can), add in the affects of the virus and yotes killing fawns, and it is not hard to see why some are complaining there are no deer.  One or two guys that go by 'if its brown its down' hunting mentality can put a dent in the herd in a hurry especially if they hunt the same area.

I am an avid deer hunter and have hunted the same two properties my family owns for over 20 years.  I have to say that as a deer hunter, and from my buddies that deer hunt, we have noticed a noticeable decrease in deer in the last few years.  I personally only take two deer a year, a buck and a doe, but I know that some other hunters kill extra deer and donate the meat and a few local farmers blame deer for hurting their crops.  I had a friend of mine hunting a farm here near Richmond that the farmer that owns the property told him that if he couldn't limit on deer there then next year he would find someone else that could.  It shouldn't be restraint on the sportsmen's part, but proper regulation on the DNR's part for deer and fish and all game.  There are a lot of uneducated property owners and weekend warrior hunters and fisherman who don't know the first thing about game management that will harvest all they are allowed while being ignorant of the consequences. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:00 AM »
this topic will make your brain hurt if you let it. lol way too many variables for a definite assumption. we see lakes give up really nice gills with unbelievable pressure year after year. obviously very fertile and easily able to support a huge population of gills. what would happen if that harvest was limited? would it turn into a over populated and useless fishing water?

sylvan is a great lake to look at rite now. everyone tells of sorting through hundreds of runts for a nice meal of eaters. wasnt like that a few years ago or had it been like that in the past. why is it like this now? is it from the zebra mussels clearing the water, and allowing weeds to grow out of control, therefore limiting predation?  last year it looked like pea soup from an unreal algae bloom. was that because of the clearer water in a shallow fertile reservoir? was it from a growing lawn fertilizing trend? is it from global warming?  i just dont see how one law would benefit every lake, when they are always changing.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline billyex99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:35 AM »
With the proposed 25 sunfish limit are they going to set a possession limit also?

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:50 AM »
this topic will make your brain hurt if you let it. lol way too many variables for a definite assumption. we see lakes give up really nice gills with unbelievable pressure year after year. obviously very fertile and easily able to support a huge population of gills. what would happen if that harvest was limited? would it turn into a over populated and useless fishing water?

sylvan is a great lake to look at rite now. everyone tells of sorting through hundreds of runts for a nice meal of eaters. wasnt like that a few years ago or had it been like that in the past. why is it like this now? is it from the zebra mussels clearing the water, and allowing weeds to grow out of control, therefore limiting predation?  last year it looked like pea soup from an unreal algae bloom. was that because of the clearer water in a shallow fertile reservoir? was it from a growing lawn fertilizing trend? is it from global warming?  i just dont see how one law would benefit every lake, when they are always changing.

Welcome to pond and lake management......it's a constant balancing act. The state is limited in its resources, and unable to juggle every condition on every BOW. And the truth is, some lakes will probably suffer for it, should this proposal become law. In my opinion, it's an unavoidable consequence of a 25 panfish per day blanket limit. But if a problem exists, what other reasonable options are there?

There must be a reason they are considering such a measure. Many times on this board you will hear comments advising the armchair biologists to "let the DNR handle it...they're on top of things, and if there was a problem they would step in"

Well, it appears that they are considering stepping in. My question is why? Have they observed a decline in numbers, or quality of fish? Or is it due to public input.....anglers wanting bigger fish? To me, that's the number one question.

What about a protected slot for panfish? If the daily limit goes to 25, chances are that the biggest fish in the lake will be the ones getting removed.....should those fish be protected, rather than simply limiting the number of fish allowed per day?

Perhaps a trial run.....pick a few lakes, implement the regs, and see how those BOW fare?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:54 AM »
yes i think a few control lakes would be a great first step. it would also serve as proof to public, if it worked.

the deer issue would make for a great topic for another thread.

OANN the real story

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Are these into actual law if so I have to remember to keep a count

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:26 PM »
no not law just thoughts.

OANN the real story

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Does this really surprise anyone that lives or hunts in this terrible state?  The DNR has single handily ruined very bit of hunting and fishing in this state.  Tele check, urban deer zones, basically unlimited bonus county,antler less only,they have killed off the deer heard , they do not maintain any state properties or publicly funded boat ramps, they removed all of the boats from state properties for duck hunting.  When is enough enough?  This state has been in a downward spiral for the past 4 years.  They have not done anything positive for the sportsmen it has all had negative effects on us, a bluegill limit?  C'mon really they are more worried about limiting the number of bluegill as opposed to the number of deer you can harvest.  Which state property or public access have you been to recently?  How was it?  In disrepair, trash all over the place, no one there, no information? We sportsmen pay for this in one way or another either by taxes or license sales we need to stand up to these Indianapolis IDIOTS and pull their heads out of their asses.  We demand more not less the time is now not later I fear by the time my son is old enough to fish I they'll probably have ZERO hook restriction by then....

Who killed off the deer herd? Who left the trash at the accesses?

I find it ironic that you are blaming the DNR for overharvest and trashing of public access points, and essentially saying "save us from ourselves" but then turn around and complain about regulations designed to limit harvest

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:32 PM »
This will probably be a good thing for the lakes in Kosciusko county and east because some groups of people tend to fish at spawn and other times with no regard to the future population of the fish. They keep everything from 1 inch to infinity. I think a limit on gills and perch would be alright.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:45 PM »
It's illegal to transport fish to a different body of water or to sell them without a license to do so in Indiana.  Many of the reservoirs and state owned ponds I fish here in Central Indiana don't offer spawning habitat for catfish anyways and the populations are maintained by annual or bi-annual stocking by the DNR.  I think limiting the taking of large catfish could cause an over abundance of them in lakes where they do spawn and really hurt the panfish population.  It's a double edged sword really...

Most of the big catfish that go into those pay ponds come from commercial fisherman.  They set up hoop nets and other traps in White River, Wabash River, and the Ohio.  They are allowed to take as many big cats as they want, as well as smaller food grade cats.  The big cats get shipped to places like Catfisherman's Paradise in Camden Ohio.  From there most of them live a short life.  They advertise having hundreds of catfish of 30, 40, and 50 lbs, with a few over 70, and up to 100.  Imagine stocking hundreds of those into a 2 or 3 acre pond.  It's basically a death camp.  So all of those cats, which are breeding stock are being removed from the rivers, and anglers who fish the rivers are catching fewer and fewer big cats, simply because they've already been taken.

DNR is proposing the 1 fish over a certain size rule to help repopulate the rivers with those big cats so they're not being taken and dropped into a paypond.  Other than that, I don't see why anyone would keep a fish over the size limits proposed.  If you're going to keep and eat catfish the fish between 3 and 7 pounds are the best anyway.

Check out this video.  It shows just how many big cats this ONE pay lake stocks at one time.  They stock several times a year.  You'll see how it adds up. 

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:59 PM »
I really hope they implement the 25 limit fish limit. I don't care what the reason... My reason is simply technology, and it's so good right now the fish don't have a chance. I can drive around and find gill beds with SI with ease. The vex makes fishing a heck of a lot easier, and it seems everybody has one. I take a lot of folks out on my boat that don't fish often, and they make the comment that the fish don't have a chance, not because of skill, but more because of the technology. Fish are very picky and only like to hold where it makes fish sense and that's only about 30% of a lakes area, and seasonally come back to those areas time and time again. As more people increase the level of technology in their boats and find these areas, it's definitely going to take its toll on the resources. Furthermore, let's not forget about the internet, where now, nothing is a secret very long! I personally don't have faith in people self regulating, so I'm relying on the government!

To many private lakes like Shorewood have ridiculous fishing... And oh wait... Limits on harvest and pressure. Michigan has great fisheries all over, and oh wait, limits on harvest. The trend is positive, and I'm all for it!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.