Author Topic: Maxi...  (Read 9320 times)

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Maxi...
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:16 AM »
So I've been doing some research on maxi, trying to figure out promising spots for some perch and eyes.. I've only ever fished the channels for gill.   I've  read about a certain 20 ft hole that people tend to do good on.  I have that mapped out.  But I was  wondering about certain depths to target if that spot doesn't pan out.  I see there are some mid lake humps surrounded by much deeper water. Are they areas I should Swiss cheese?  From what I've read the lake is hard to get on them but rewarding once ya do.  Not lookin for gps coordinates, I have a lake map , just lookin for general depth to start at.  Or maybe even a mentor.  I know some people would rather show ya then tell ya and I'd be fine with that also. Pms welcome
Fish On'

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Maxi...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Humps are gonna be good areas for walleye. Perch will use them to but there are some bigger bars and flats that hold them there. See if you can find those on the map. the Kettle has fish in it but I've never busted them up good in it.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline iceon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Weed bed runs north to south out from the launch. Can't miss it when its safe people will be lined up along it for perch.
Any weed bed on the main lake you could get into perch. There's definitely an abundance of those and a few jumbos.
Walleye on Maxi when on a feeding frenzy there everywhere. But like everyone that chases walleye out there its hit or miss.
Good luck. Iceon
Iceon

Offline djzamo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Good info given.  I'll add that the magic time is about one hour before sunset to an hour into darkness.  Have your area selected and holes drilled BEFORE this prime time.  We have done well out on the humps and along break lines closer to shore, never really did better one or the other. 
Has anyone confirmed good ice on the main lake?  I know the channels have been fished for a few weeks.

Offline iceon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:11 PM »
With the wind and warm up I think were going to lose what we have. Opened way more now than this morning. Its open from the north to the south. Iceon
Iceon

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:19 PM »
HI Gang!
  I hope to be out there some time next week.   thanks for the good reports.
  In the Past the turn north of the ramp has been good  its a 20 to 40 foot drop.  youll have to find the ledge and i use lady bug tear drop vertical spoon # 12 hook  1 beemoth hooked in the center of its body.  Its a good crappie area during the day.  Thats where I start at first ice every year.  Crappie at maxi roam alot so you might have to move alot.
  Tight lines
  Da-Roc

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I started to make my rounds on the lake checking ice conditions last thursday The sound end of the lake has 4-5 but that isn't much for fishing with the huge shallow flat,  west side of the lake was wide open from long point just about all the way to the kettle and with the warm up it is probably opened up more.  the beach area was my next area to check which will be tomorrow, the east side of the lake south of the spanish house on perry point only had about 3 1/2 as of friday  along with a 3 in stress crack and a ice heave south of that and I did not get too close to it.  academy bay had a solid 5-6 friday as well  and i will be heading there in the morning first.  UPDATES to follow tomorrow
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Its always the last lake to get good safe lake ice.
Tom

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Ice did not get hurt at all except where it was already open grew a little from the winds, i still managed to get out to 15 fow about 350 yds from the parking at the bay.  got into some perch but not much size yet..going out of the beach house tomorrow anyone want to join me. 

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:10 PM »
wat time in the morning you looking to go?
Got one goin'!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Klbeeks
Maxi is a great place. That being said I also find it a difficult bow to fish. I've logged countless hours out there. I live 72 miles from there too. Lots of miles logged. Over the years I figured it out. I'm a walker. I pack light when venturing out there. My starting spot is 1+ miles from where I park. So working the areas that I work, I'm logging 3 miles approximately. My advice to you is to approach it like any other lake. Keep in mind that they spook real easy here. Common sense goes a long way out there. Fish like able spots like drop offs and breaks. Ive never fished a lake where I couldn't find some type of fish on a good break. There's many reasons they hold and or attract fish. Whatever you do enjoy it as it's a great place. Depending on snow accumulation I hope to be headed there next week. If I can get on my spots of course.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 PM »
This is a clear lake so you have to realize the weeds will grow very tall and in deep water. I love flat fishing there! Find that 16-20' break with a few weeds. Sight fishing is a blast in 25fow  :)

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Yes it is !!

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:42 AM »
well dot to deter anyone but I fish it at least once a week ice off to ice on as I live 10 min away and the lake is not clear at all this year.  You will lose the jig at about 6 ft.  and the weed growth was hampered as well because of it. 

Offline 1eyechaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Hey Sarge I heard a rumor that you can't park at the Academy parking lot by the sail boats any truth to it ?

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:44 PM »
You can park there all day every day they never have stopped letting us park there except for the big tournament ,, new ice update too beach house has 5 solid inches all the way out to the first set of humps but still wide open closer to the point and out to middle of lake clear down to the launch

Offline chumslick2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Dang I was hoping to hit the kettle Saturday night. Sounds like its sketchy. Not a good plan by yourself

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:55 PM »
there is plenty of good solid ice come off the farthest south end of ramp parking area and will be a closer walk you may find me out there tomorrow as well  give me some update on what you find please if I am not already on it

Offline NWIangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Was out on the kettle this morning. Ice was aprox 4-5" clear with close to 6" of slush on top of it. Bite was very slow for us and only managed a couple small perch. Moved to the hole just east of the ramp and picked up a 12" perch and 15" eye in the first 5 mins I was there. Nothing after that. Fish kept moving in on the bottom every 15 mins or so but could not get them to bite. Perch bit a #10 gold with 2 red spikes about 6" from the bottom and walleye hit a jigging rap about 10' down a couple mins later. Fishing in 18 fow. I think the struggling perch may have attracted him over cause I never marked any other suspended fish all day.
Good luck to anyone heading out in the morning.

Offline chumslick2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Ok thanks. I'm going to give it a shot tonite then

Offline chumslick2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Lost one at the hole I thought was a keeper and had two lookers. After dark it went dead with nothing coming thru on the vexilar. Ice was good with 1 inch of water/slush

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Glad you got out, good luck to you.
I know you'll find them.
Tom

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:42 AM »
Was out on the kettle this morning. Ice was aprox 4-5" clear with close to 6" of slush on top of it. Bite was very slow for us and only managed a couple small perch. Moved to the hole just east of the ramp and picked up a 12" perch and 15" eye in the first 5 mins I was there. Nothing after that. Fish kept moving in on the bottom every 15 mins or so but could not get them to bite. Perch bit a #10 gold with 2 red spikes about 6" from the bottom and walleye hit a jigging rap about 10' down a couple mins later. Fishing in 18 fow. I think the struggling perch may have attracted him over cause I never marked any other suspended fish all day.
Good luck to anyone heading out in the morning.   Fished there yesterday as well as the inside pocket of the deeper hole south side of long point,  still alot of lookers but on ehting I found is several times I have dropped the camera of my aqua vu micro and when I pull it back up the screen will light up, bring my rap up and fire it back down, I will catch an eye every time.  'That little camera must draws them in from farther away or else it was just good timing,  lol

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Any one have an update on the ice after the thaw? Wanting to head over this saturday
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:11 PM »
my son drove by around 3:00 this afternoon and told me there was a quad out on the south east side my last trip out was sunday ice was 4 1/2" to 10 " with about an inch of water and skim ice over that and I was out infront of the ramp sounds good but drill and be safe griff.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline MarcumPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish stories told here!!!! Some true...
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Went out yesterday, ice was still decent, the guy on the quad was out there all day yesterday too... Must be a great spot to risk that, only 3-4 inches is spots, but it's good ice, however you wouldn't see me out there on a quad, stil some spots with 8 just depends where ya are
Mitch

Offline TrentM.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Musky fisherman out of place
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Hey guys, never done much ice fishing on maxi... Was gonna try and get out this weekend for some Walters... Any help on how and where to fish for them on this lake would be awesome... I was thinking the drops adjacent to large weed flats would be a good start... anything helps... thanks!!!

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Marcum you should catch up with me I am out there most every day I was off the ramp yesterday and out on that south end has some of the best ice was down there sat and punching almost 10  went out today and there is solid ice everywhere no more slush slicker than snot of course.  when in doubt ,spud it out...

Offline MarcumPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish stories told here!!!! Some true...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Marcum you should catch up with me I am out there most every day I was off the ramp yesterday and out on that south end has some of the best ice was down there sat and punching almost 10  went out today and there is solid ice everywhere no more slush slicker than snot of course.  when in doubt ,spud it out...

Were you in the blue shanty?
Mitch

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:32 PM »
yes I was in my clam nanook I di not do any good over there contrary to what i was told about some nice jumbos hanging in that hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.