Author Topic: Why do ice guys seem to keep everything? Including game fish?  (Read 9203 times)

Offline chevy88

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Why do ice guys seem to keep everything? Including game fish?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:33 PM »
So it's your job to shock lakes and do studies?  No it's your job to pay for a license unless your old enough and abide by the rules that the people who are actually responsible for are doing
Liberal Paradise:
-Everyone Treated Equal
-Free Food
-Free medical / healthcare
-Only police and guards have guns

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:38 PM »
hit the ice and have these discussions with the people you are talking about, see how that fares for you.

Are these the same ones who are carrying? I think not. From the indications I've read here today, It could be perceived as a threat. ;D

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Are these the same ones who are carrying? I think not. From the indications I've read here today, It could be perceived as a threat. ;D

Welcome to the internet. I share your opinion - it'd be nice to have an intelligent discussion, and I believe the OP was legitimately curious. Unfortunately, many people are overly-sensitive or overly-aggressive on the internet, because there is no tone or body language, and it's pretty well documented that people are bigger jerks online than they are in person, because you can't see their face. Scientific American had a study on it that was pretty interesting.

Some people just take everything as a threat or constantly feel judged. I practice selective harvest myself, but that doesn't mean I am going around hating on folks that take home a boatload. A little bit of tolerance would go a long way in fishing forums... heck in society in general!

I think it'd be interesting to have a civil conversation on the internet... but since that is a log shotI'll just have it with folk on the ice, since its all but guaranteed it will be much more pleasant

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:43 PM »
The OP lost me when he claims people are going out and catching and keeping 100 day after day.  That simply does not happen.

This.  No one kills them all the time.  There are good days and there are bad days.  I normally don't feel like cleaning 50+ fish anyhow.  That being said, if I ever found myself in the midst of a perchpallooza I'd tried to fill my bucket!   ;D
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Only keep musky and trout

We finally agree on something!! I only keep under sized Muskie and eyes under 5 inches, AND only if I have shot them with the .380 I carry fishing. Gotta go a pack of hungry coyotes are circling me...... wait they were scared away by the drug crazed bad guys on motorcycles who came out on the ice to steal my beer ::)

Offline kodiak88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:12 PM »
i'll keep everything even a musky and throw it in my garden for fertilizer
“Many of you have in your veins Geman and Italian blood. But remember that these ancestors of yours so loved freedom that they gave up home and country to cross the ocean in search of liberty. The ancestors of the people we shall kill lacked the courage to make such a sacrifice and remained slaves.” — George S. Patton

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:17 PM »
This thing just keeps on going.... and going....... and going.........LOL 

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #67 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:44 PM »
I said on the very first reply it was a can of worms  ;D

Offline Full Throttle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:44 PM »
I can't believe we haven't heard any "fear the beard" comments yet

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I can't believe we haven't heard any "fear the beard" comments yet

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:04 PM »

Just check out the joined dates and you'll see why.  ::)

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Sorry some of you took it the wrong way and some didn't....my only point about keeping everything you catch is some of the same people complain ( none of you that I am aware of) complain that the lakes now suck.  I hear it on some of the lakes I fish from people that say how they used to be able to take home however many fish they wanted from lake XYZ, now that lake sucks so they are trying this lake or that lake.  Now for some of you who took it way to personal and told me to mind my own business ect, well I think you really need to take a step back and relax.  I do appreciate the ones who added constructive comments.  It's called perspective...

Offline Gonzofishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:00 PM »
U.S. And A. Greatest country in the world. In my best Borat voice. Some replies are priceless. Only in America! Bald eagle meat in the winter is much firmer than in the summer. My 2 cents..  ;D
Have your pets spayed or neutered,good bye everybody!
                                                "Bob Barker"

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:26 PM »
I've come back to this post three times and, "Wow," is all I can say.

Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like the lakes suck.  I've seen some pretty nice pictures. 

Get better is all I can say to those who are complaining of no good fish left.  They are there.  Stop waiting for someone to be your guide and go out and find them on your own. 

Jonesy

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #74 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:14 PM »
keep what you are going to eat, or share with folks that cant get them. save some for Armageddon for cripes sakes people. lol!!!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Moose416

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Take What You Need....Leave the Rest for Seed"
« Reply #75 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:23 PM »
"Keep What You Need........Leave the Rest for Seed"   Amen

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #76 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Just check out the joined dates and you'll see why.  ::)
x2 welcome to the rookie club

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Sorry some of you took it the wrong way and some didn't....my only point about keeping everything you catch is some of the same people complain ( none of you that I am aware of) complain that the lakes now suck.  I hear it on some of the lakes I fish from people that say how they used to be able to take home however many fish they wanted from lake XYZ, now that lake sucks so they are trying this lake or that lake.  Now for some of you who took it way to personal and told me to mind my own business ect, well I think you really need to take a step back and relax.  I do appreciate the ones who added constructive comments.  It's called perspective...

I except what you are saying.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #78 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:17 AM »
I agree and by no means am I saying what is right or what is wrong....
Seems to me, thats EXACTLY what you're doing....I guess you get to decide what people do with their catch even though it is perfectly legal ! Maybe you should spend your enegy lobbying the IDNR to change their creel limits since Im sure you have done your own research and know what other peoples fishing habits have been doing to your fishing spots....my 2 cents ...mind your own business.
Duane

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I believe in limits if/when needed, and fishing within' the law. I too usually keep most bluegills. If I have a mess or two in the freezer, I will either give them to someone on the ice, clean them and give them to someone who enjoys cold water gills, but can't get them due to health or age. Usually throw bass back as I prefer panfish for eating. I have kept some big channel cats in the past that we catch using tip-ups during last ice. As long as one stays within the laws and limits, then it doesn't bother me. JUST DON'T WASTE resources. The DNR sets the limits and knows fairly well where to set them.

It bother's me much more seeing people who leave trash behind than leaving with a pile of panfish. Besides, like someone else already stated, some people only keep the panfish they catch icefishing and don't fish or keep fish they catch in the warm water due to the quality of the fish.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Maybe the OP didn't keep 12 fish or even catch 12 fish and he is pissed off because everyone else is doing well. Seen it before. And have actually seen a grown man get verbal and stomp off the ice after spudding everyone in, because he wasn't catching fish and everyone around him was tearing them up... lmao.     :tipup:

PS- Just ribbing!!!

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Seems to me, thats EXACTLY what you're doing....I guess you get to decide what people do with their catch even though it is perfectly legal ! Maybe you should spend your enegy lobbying the IDNR to change their creel limits since Im sure you have done your own research and know what other peoples fishing habits have been doing to your fishing spots....my 2 cents ...mind your own business.
Classic!

Offline Broken_Lines

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:48 AM »
There's a balance out there that lies somewhere between over-harvesting and under-harvesting. Overpopulated lakes need fish removed, especially smaller ones to increase size production. Healthy lakes need fish of all sizes  removed to keep the balance. I don't think there is any real way to pin-point what is best to achieve this balance. Sure some lakes may get over fished while some lakes get under fished. Every lake will also fluctuate with abundance and size of fish by species.  I wouldnt mind seeing seasonal restrictions in Indiana the way you see in Michigan. I would even like to see it for panfish, especially on smaller lakes. That being said I don't keep huge bass or pike etc because I enjoy catching big fish  over and over and they just have either been lucky or have good genes to pass on. But if somebody does, it's not going to destroy a lake. I haven't done much summer fishing the past few years so I keep my share through the ice. I eat  what I keep and don't keep anything I believe most of us would consider small unless thats average for that lake because it doesn't produce big, healthy fish. Personally, with the last two years not having great ice I think there have been considerably fewer harvested fish so populations on lakes are  bigger. That means more people will harvest more fish this winter. And if populations decrease so will harvested fish numbers until the populations return. So either way, fish within the law and the fish will always be there.  Just my opinion! And we all know what opinions are like!!! :) Fish on!
"Coulda gone fishin', rather be huntin'... I live in my own mind."

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:52 AM »

Maybe THIS is why we keep what we work so hard to catch?.......... ;)

Offline fwcanoefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM »
RLWagner, that looks delicious!!!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #86 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I'm amazed at how some guys perceived and responded to the OP.   I think the topic warrants good, civil  discussion.  Instead some percieved it as a personal attack on them or their rights. We are the superior beings on his earth & as sportsmen it is our job to manage our fish & wildlife.

I learned a lot from this thread.... Not much was about fishing.

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Be honest Bret, when a guy implies that those who keep limits are responsible for over harvest and cleaning out a lake, that is an attack, especially when not vested in science, but rather personal and occasional observation. And the C'Mon comment adds insult to injury as well. You can spin it all you want, but for the wary and observant reader, we understand exactly what the OP was saying. But he did apologize if I recall correctly. And Bret, you have been on IS to know that this conversation was very civil as opposed to what it could have been. It was great stimulating conversation with lots of input, just what the shanty is for.  ;)

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:07 PM »
so back-off the "beards"      just stiring the pot   lol!!!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I'm most surprised that 90% of the people you ask will say the government does not have a good pulse on what's right for our society, but yet most of those same people believe they're the foremost authority on bag limits in our public waters.  :-\  I always enjoy reading these topics though!!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.