Author Topic: Best Lakes you ever fished in indiana  (Read 10789 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Lakes you ever fished in indiana
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2013, 11:53 PM »
any of you indiana guys ever fished Bass Lake in Starke County?? I have a cottage there but have never ice fished their due to the fact the cottage is a summer cottage with no heat or working water in the winter...however, I want to make a trip their this winter if its worth it...let me know

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2013, 05:03 AM »
Lol some people might think were joking.... There is a beer can reef!!! There's man made reefs in the ocean submerged tanks, ships, vehicles, whatever has mass. Just so happens in Round lake it's beer cans. Rico did a fine job of creating it I'm guessing about 24 cases worth it's massive!!!

LOL, I honestly don't get there much anymore.  And never really did hit it hard.  However I do spend a lot of time in that area(My Sister lives outside of Ormas), I usually fish High and Crooked lakes.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2013, 05:08 AM »
any of you indiana guys ever fished Bass Lake in Starke County?? I have a cottage there but have never ice fished their due to the fact the cottage is a summer cottage with no heat or working water in the winter...however, I want to make a trip their this winter if its worth it...let me know

Yes I have.  There are not that many walleye lakes in Indiana, but Bass is one of them.  I think it would be worth your while to fish it.  If ya need some company, let me know.  Does the cottage have electricity in the winter?

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2013, 11:31 AM »
You know I am not entirely sure if it even has a electricity in the winter...it is a family cottage so my cheap uncles may shut that off too just to not have to pay for it.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2013, 01:42 PM »
You know I am not entirely sure if it even has a electricity in the winter...it is a family cottage so my cheap uncles may shut that off too just to not have to pay for it.

LOL.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2013, 01:08 AM »
I ice fish it a few times a winter, its usually good for a few walleye
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I think I may of sold you a couple Coleman lanterns from craigslist. I don't remember your name. Thought you said you live in Chicago. Love this lake for eyes and crappie. Also good numbers of cats, gills and perch. Oh, I almost forgot the bass PHEW.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Sacarider for open water gills on fly-rod.

Sylvan, Round, & Cree for hard water!!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Just the thought of a "beer can reef" makes me sick! Bring it with you, take it with you when you leave...
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #39 on: Nov 18, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Seen it done.   >:( Disgusting

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:19 PM »
Just the thought of a "beer can reef" makes me sick! Bring it with you, take it with you when you leave...

Was thinking the same thing but did not want to steer the thread down a different path.  Why throw them down the hole ??? That's as bad as the slobs that leave stuff all over the ice or parking area.  They weigh alot more on the way out than on the way in and if you drink enough to make a 'reef' you are probably not adding much fish weight to your sled or bucket.  Those that I have seen drinking like that on the ice usually catch a buzz and that is about it. 

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Well you fellas better start getting on the phone with your local government officials.  Individuals "polluting" the water is easily taken care of.  Corporations dumping toxins into them is another issue.  There are bigger concerns than beer cans. 

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Was thinking the same thing but did not want to steer the thread down a different path.

That was their intent. 

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:32 PM »
My intent is nothing more than, what I said... ANYBODY throwing cans down a hole should re-evaluate their method of trash disposal, and there isn't one good reason for it no matter how you justify it in your own mind... Trust me.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:39 PM »
My intent is nothing more than, what I said... ANYBODY throwing cans down a hole should re-evaluate their method of trash disposal, and there isn't one good reason for it no matter how you justify it in your own mind... Trust me.

What is the title of the thread Doug?  Trust me, it has nothing to do with trash.  You made it such.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Did I bring up the beer can reef!? Anyway to be honest, I wish I never had the opportunity to comment, and hopefully won't have the opportunity to bring it up in the future, because no more cans will go down the hole.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Did I bring up the beer can reef!? Anyway to be honest, I wish I never had the opportunity to comment, and hopefully won't have the opportunity to bring it up in the future, because no more cans will go down the hole.

No you didn't and it aint your neck of the woods anyway.  But you had to throw in something.  I aint a diplomat, but I smell arrogance.  Just ice fish the Indy area and keep catching crappie on the tour. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:49 PM »
No you didn't and it aint your neck of the woods anyway.  But you had to throw in something.  I aint a diplomat, but I smell arrogance.  Just ice fish the Indy area and keep catching crappie on the tour.

So by your standards because there is pollution caused by farms or factories it is ok for you or others to throw their trash down the hole and into public waters?  I am sure the DNR would agree with you that is OK because there are 'bigger fish to fry' than a few cases of empty beer cans.   ::) ::)  You smell arrogance?  I smell ignorance.  Doesn't matter if you live in angola, valpo, evansville, indy, warsaw or on the shores of round lake, every drop of that water is owned by all of us.  Is dumping cans in the bottom of the lakes something else you gramps and dad taught you?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Say what?! LMAO... I can't even respond to that... In the sprit of Monday Night Football, this deserves a C'mon man!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:03 PM »
So by your standards because there is pollution caused by farms or factories it is ok for you or others to throw their trash down the hole and into public waters?  I am sure the DNR would agree with you that is OK because there are 'bigger fish to fry' than a few cases of empty beer cans.   ::) ::)  You smell arrogance?  I smell ignorance.  Doesn't matter if you live in angola, valpo, evansville, indy, warsaw or on the shores of round lake, every drop of that water is owned by all of us.  Is dumping cans in the bottom of the lakes something else you gramps and dad taught you?

No Waxie.  You don't own every drop of water.  I do what I do on my property and don't give a rat's arsz what anybody's opinion is concerning it.  You want me to tell you how to manage yours?  I have plenty of opinions on what you can do better.  Better think a little bit.  Especially when it concerns my family.  I take offense to that last sentence.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Say what?! LMAO... I can't even respond to that... In the sprit of Monday Night Football, this deserves a C'mon man!

Touche.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:04 PM »
No Waxie.  You don't own every drop of water.  I do what I do on my property and don't give a rat's arsz what anybody's opinion is concerning it.  You want me to tell you how to manage yours?  I have plenty of opinions on what you can do better.  Better think a little bit.  Especially when it concerns my family.  I take offense to that last sentence.

I said PUBLIC waters.  Read again.  I don't think Round lake (and others) is/are on your property.  I don't care how you trash your own property.  You take offense to a question?  Why?  You are on here talking all the time about what your dad and gramps taught you, and most of the stories are great to hear, so the last sentence was a legitmate question.  I highly doubt your dad or gramps taught you to dump your trash in public waters, so why do it?  Most old time outdoorsman would roll over in their grave if they saw you or others dumping trash down their ice holes because you are too lazy to cart it off.  Would love to hear your opinions of what I can do better.  There might be something I can use in there.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 18, 2013, 09:42 PM »
I think I may of sold you a couple Coleman lanterns from craigslist. I don't remember your name. Thought you said you live in Chicago. Love this lake for eyes and crappie. Also good numbers of cats, gills and perch. Oh, I almost forgot the bass PHEW.

Nope I have never bought any coleman lanterns off of craigslist so it has to be somebody else lol....However I do live in the south burbs of Chicago and Bass Lake is only about and hour and 15 minute drive from me...Where exactly do you fish on the lake?   I have read that the areas right around the deepest part of the lake which is pretty much in front of the "cove" is the best location for ice fishing.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:56 AM »
I said PUBLIC waters.  Read again.  I don't think Round lake (and others) is/are on your property.  I don't care how you trash your own property.  You take offense to a question?  Why?  You are on here talking all the time about what your dad and gramps taught you, and most of the stories are great to hear, so the last sentence was a legitmate question.  I highly doubt your dad or gramps taught you to dump your trash in public waters, so why do it?  Most old time outdoorsman would roll over in their grave if they saw you or others dumping trash down their ice holes because you are too lazy to cart it off.  Would love to hear your opinions of what I can do better.  There might be something I can use in there.

Dad, Grandpa, Uncle Max, nor Uncle Bo dumped cans down their holes.  Nor did any of them teach me to do that.  If Doug and Phil have nothing better to do than hi-jack threads then so be it.  I expect better out of you. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Dad, Grandpa, Uncle Max, nor Uncle Bo dumped cans down their holes.  Nor did any of them teach me to do that.  If Doug and Phil have nothing better to do than hi-jack threads then so be it.  I expect better out of you.

Good to hear....

As for hijacking the thread, I am amazed how long it took for someone to speak up and and comment/question the 'practice' of sinking cans down the hole once it was mentioned higher up in the thread.  I was going to comment when I first saw it, but was hoping it was a 'joke' despite the stories I have heard otherwise.  Every year there is thread about slobs on the ice or in parking areas and it gets pages of comments against it, yet only 3 people questioned a similar practice in this thread.  Maybe it was because there are only a few people here becuase there is no ice, or maybe it was because of the thread title.  Maybe people have given up in trying to keep our lakes and rivers free of human's trash. I have a strong suspision if the topic of putting cans or trash down the ice hole were revisited when the masses are here after we have ice, the response against it would be alot 'louder'.  I highly doubt, Doug, Phil and I are in the minority on this.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2013, 12:40 PM »
I just assumed it was a joke, but I guess it wasn't.  Don't get me wrong, I love beer as much as anyone but I don't condone trashing up our lakes.

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 19, 2013, 01:04 PM »
I'll do it, getting back to the best lacks. If we can ad in any lakes I believe Camelot Lakes have my vote. Now those are Private lakes other Lakes I feel that should be mentioned are Crystal Lake and Papakeechie Lake.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 19, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Papakeechie? Oh no, this thread just went from controversial to full blown nuclear! I'm gonna stay ducked behind my desk for a while!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 19, 2013, 01:57 PM »
You just need a white suit
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 19, 2013, 07:35 PM »
People still drink beer from a can?
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.