Author Topic: Sharing Information  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sharing Information
« Reply #60 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I wanted to post a comment on this thread from a "new guy's" perspective. I have not asked anyone for info nor have I given any (other than my views on a fishing suit I got this year for Christmas). I have ice fished a total of three hours in the state of Indiana. I've fished open water slightly longer, but I have been fishing as long as I can remember. It's just that I'm new to this area (NW Ind). If there is a topic on places Ive fished in other states, equipment or technique that I can give my. nput on Id gladly share.

However, speaking as a new guy I can tell you I have not asked for info because there are a lot of people on this site that can make you feel less than welcome and you run the risk of being labeled as someone who only asks questions very quickly. Then you are blacklisted so to speak. There are a lot of high school-esque clicks it seems.  I can also see there are a lot of good guys on this site, too.  It's just you never know who will respond to a question or how they will respond:ridicule or advice?

So as a guy who would love to share info and has a philosophy like High Flags stated above, how can I even start to share on a website like this if I'm in the situation of needing to learn this area? Why should I be ridiculed for asking ice conditions on a lake like Wynona and being told "get in your vehicle, drive there and spud spud spud"? I work 5 days a week or more and have two kids under 6 so time is limited. Should I really have to drive 2 hours each direction to spud through an 1" of ice? Does that make me more of a fisherman? Or can someone who is local just give a guy a tip whether publicly or pm?  If a guy from Ft Wayne wanted to know about conditions near me I would tell him. Looking at other parts of this site I see more commeeraderie. For example,     http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=254106.0

So, just because a guy asks for info before giving any doesn't mean he's a jerk. It may just mean he needs a helping hand or some guidance in a sport he loves in an area he is unfamiliar with, with the precious little time he has. Thanks for letting a new guy have his say based on his observations. I would look forward to fishing with guys who like to have fun and if lucky catch a few fish in the process. High Flags and others in NW Ind, i hope to meet some of you standing over a couple of holes or even better, a pile of fish.

I understand your frustration towards some of the people here.  The ridiculing can get out of hand.  I think what you are seeing is two years of ice that has been very inconsistent is causing guys to be more tight lipped. I don't know if you saw the fox lake thread or not.  The problem is that there are only limited places you can go fish.  I think you will see guys open up a little when we finally get good ice again.  Hopefully that is next year. The problem with specifics on a forum like this is the hundred lurkers looking for that same info that will probably never contribute not the guy asking the question.  I will give out some specifics but usually only in a PM. 

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Post of the Year!

I wanted to post a comment on this thread from a "new guy's" perspective. I have not asked anyone for info nor have I given any (other than my views on a fishing suit I got this year for Christmas). I have ice fished a total of three hours in the state of Indiana. I've fished open water slightly longer, but I have been fishing as long as I can remember. It's just that I'm new to this area (NW Ind). If there is a topic on places Ive fished in other states, equipment or technique that I can give my input on Id gladly share.

However, speaking as a new guy I can tell you I have not asked for info because there are a lot of people on this site that can make you feel less than welcome and you run the risk of being labeled as someone who only asks questions very quickly. Then you are blacklisted so to speak. There are a lot of high school-esque clicks it seems.  I can also see there are a lot of good guys on this site, too.  It's just you never know who will respond to a question or how they will respond:ridicule or advice?

So as a guy who would love to share info and has a philosophy like High Flags stated above, how can I even start to share on a website like this if I'm in the situation of needing to learn this area? Why should I be ridiculed for asking ice conditions on a lake like Wynona and being told "get in your vehicle, drive there and spud spud spud"? I work 5 days a week or more and have two kids under 6 so time is limited. Should I really have to drive 2 hours each direction to spud through an 1" of ice? Does that make me more of a fisherman? Or can someone who is local just give a guy a tip whether publicly or pm?  If a guy from Ft Wayne wanted to know about conditions near me I would tell him. Looking at other parts of this site I see more commeeraderie. For example,     http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=254106.0

So, just because a guy asks for info before giving any doesn't mean he's a jerk. It may just mean he needs a helping hand or some guidance in a sport he loves in an area he is unfamiliar with, with the precious little time he has. Thanks for letting a new guy have his say based on his observations. I would look forward to fishing with guys who like to have fun and if lucky catch a few fish in the process. High Flags and others in NW Ind, i hope to meet some of you standing over a couple of holes or even better, a pile of fish.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:58 PM »
I wanted to post a comment on this thread from a "new guy's" perspective. I have not asked anyone for info nor have I given any (other than my views on a fishing suit I got this year for Christmas). I have ice fished a total of three hours in the state of Indiana. I've fished open water slightly longer, but I have been fishing as long as I can remember. It's just that I'm new to this area (NW Ind). If there is a topic on places Ive fished in other states, equipment or technique that I can give my input on Id gladly share.

My internet friend.....that post touched my heart and is dead on with how it should be.  Anytime you need a place to fish, you can have the spot next to me.

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Post of the Year!

Good thing the year is young. I'd hate for this to be the post of the year!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Good thing the year is young. I'd hate for this to be the post of the year!

I was in the same spot as you a few years ago--new to Indiana and had never ice fished.  Now I'm sure there are exceptions to  what I am about to say, but what I had to come to terms with is that most of the guys who have good spots and have the skill to put quality fish on the ice aren't giving that info up to people they're not tight with.   That's just how it is, and now that I can find and catch fish by myself on the ice, I get it.  So what I decided to do was to be a sponge and learn as much as I could on my own, finding fish (I live in Hamilton County and was on ice about the same time as the guys up north this year), posting about it, and then trying to become tight with guys who love finding and catching fish like myself--and really to me, that is what sites like the shanty are all about. 

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2013, 06:58 PM »
I have heard alot good insight comments on this subject and Iagree with alot of whats been said  But since we arent cavemen or indians and our lively hood and survival depend on what we catch Lets all get back to having fun catching fish and enjoying what the good lord gave us

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #66 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:30 PM »
There was a span of about a week on here where there were one or two people on here that were asking for ice conditions on every lake they could find on a map north of Indy to the Mich state line.   It was as if it was a joke to them and at that point that some got testy and suggested those people check the ice themselves.  It was unfortunate, but everyone has a 'fuse' some are short and others aren't.  In general, when most people ask about ice conditions on a particular lake they will get a response.   For safety reasons, I don't give ice conditions, and don't ask.  I always check myself so I know for sure what the conditions really are.  I wouldn't be afraid to post a question on the board based on what happened in those couple of cases.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Very seldom do I give ice conditions, I tell whether there are guys out there or not.  As far as "safe" ice thats for you to decide, just cause I'm out there that means I think its safe, to each his own.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #68 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:15 PM »
          I have found in recent years sharing my knowledge of fishing,along with some of my fishing spots is very rewarding. Maybe because of the web sites and the fact I enjoy using them. Maybe I'm less competitive, maybe I'm foolish.   I do realize this comes at a cost sometimes. Parking, crowds,  less fish in certain areas. 

But it also comes back around. Being invited to new areas to fish, meeting new fisherman, making new friendships.  This has been working for me.  I say share it. at least in a PM. It may come back around your way

Good insight Mark.  A lot of your points are so true.  I know I'm less competitive.  I'm very competitive at work everyday and I hate it when my fishing has to be competitve.  I really enjoy my time outdoors, being on the ice or water....relaxing and catching a few fish!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Why should I be ridiculed for asking ice conditions on a lake like Wynona and being told "get in your vehicle, drive there and spud spud spud"?

Good post Jawbreaker!   I will give you conditions on Winona anytime....just ask!

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 21, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Great Thread Bret.
 I asked a couple simple easy questions once about a tourney and got called all kinds of names.
Seems like this thread has calmed a lot of folks down and thats a great thing. All we want to do is fish.
And Im hoping this is finally the year we hook up Bret, I got some great eyes caged up waiting.

Offline fish-n-son

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 21, 2013, 05:46 PM »
WOW! This is one of the best threads I have read since joining the site. Unfortunately I do a lot of reading and not much help since I have only been out twice this year. Guess that classifies me as a "troller".

When I did have the opportunity to fish every weekend and someone took me to "new" water or a "hot" bite I did not return without them taking me or having their permission.

As far as someone asking me for advice, which did not happen very often, I was more than happy to give them information that helped me catch fish. I guess to me it was "paying it forward" since people helped me when I first started ice fishing.  I can see and read some of the frustration on other threads when a spot is overfished or cannot find a parking spot.  I applaud those that spend a bunch of money, time, and energy to enjoy this wonderful sport and pass it on to others.

This is kind of off the topic but that is what I am doing with my 8 year old son. When I did fish a lot whether it be on the ice or in a boat I got caught up in only wanting to catch fish and not enjoying what the outdoors has to
offer. I now enjoy driving around looking for good ice, watching the sun rise or set, wildlife, and talking with other anglers. When I get on the ice and close to other fisherman making sure they don't mind if we drill a few holes,
and picking up trash when we walk off the ice. It's a bonus if we find a few fish.

Both time I have been out and talked to others on the ice none of them have been IS members. One day I hope to meet some of the great people on this site. I have gained a lot of valuable knowledge from this site. Thanks everyone.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 21, 2013, 05:57 PM »
There was a span of about a week on here where there were one or two people on here that were asking for ice conditions on every lake they could find on a map north of Indy to the Mich state line.   It was as if it was a joke to them and at that point that some got testy and suggested those people check the ice themselves.
I didn't get involved but did read most of those. It is just my opinion but I think some people?? were posting under fictitious names and trying to cause problems. I have no proof but I trust my gut and think this happens more than you might think. That's why I believe more public info is needed to sign up on Ice Shanty?  hate that but it might be needed to protect the integrity of the site.
I still think new members can get tons of info and help/advice on this site. Just give it some time, you can't learn everything in one season...lol..you cant ever learn everything. One thing that does bug me though and I'm not picking on anyone cause I've heard it many times. when people say I don't have time cause i work and have kids...drives me nuts.. everybody i fish with works and has kids..lol...and still has to make time to check the ice on the local lakes..Local for me is at least 30 minutes and maybe more..Everybody's busy, so don't think your the only one...okay I'm done. lol. Hope we get more ice...this December...lol

Paul

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 21, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Great Thread Bret.
 I asked a couple simple easy questions once about a tourney and got called all kinds of names.
Seems like this thread has calmed a lot of folks down and thats a great thing. All we want to do is fish.
And Im hoping this is finally the year we hook up Bret, I got some great eyes caged up waiting.

Thanks Chris,  I was just trying to help.  I hear ya....I was thinking the same thing.....I need to come up there and fish.  Just let me know when it works for you.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:17 PM »
There was a span of about a week on here where there were one or two people on here that were asking for ice conditions on every lake they could find on a map north of Indy to the Mich state line.   It was as if it was a joke to them and at that point that some got testy and suggested those people check the ice themselves.  It was unfortunate, but everyone has a 'fuse' some are short and others aren't.  In general, when most people ask about ice conditions on a particular lake they will get a response.   For safety reasons, I don't give ice conditions, and don't ask.  I always check myself so I know for sure what the conditions really are.  I wouldn't be afraid to post a question on the board based on what happened in those couple of cases.
great post wax! this is my sentiments exactly...folks that are afraid to post a question on this board due to being bashed are being overly sensitive. when im fishing a spot that has plenty of parking I have no problems sharing info. Actually my last couple threads stated exactly where I was fishing. however when im fishing my other go to spots that have limited parking, im not going to spread info that could potentially jepordize my parking...especially to folks who start 100 threads asking ice conditions for every lake in nothern indiana...thats what the ice condition and report section is for. I also agree with marmooska paul about some members creating a new account to spam the boards...atleast thats what it sure looked like was the case during that week. I would like to see a 25-50 post minimum before you can start a thread. Folks lets all remember that this is the internet...dont take it too seriously!

Offline pikefighter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • packerhamilton
« Reply #75 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:16 PM »
ok im a guilty man, a few weeks ago, my buddy and I went to cadillac lake, we had a very bad day. my pal, sent a post about why no one told of us snow mobile races, someone posted what i thought was un fair to my young friend, ranting about, ice, temps, jigs rigs snow sun .... whatever, i got up set and replied in a very nasty way that im sorry for,this trip cost over 300 bucks for 6 hrs of fishing, and when up there were treated unfair by locals, soi was wrong, but words r like toothpaste , once its out ,its out, im sorry to any and all i offended i learned my lesson, i think im on ice shanty probation :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
no fish left behind

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.