Author Topic: Sharing Information  (Read 5224 times)

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
Sharing Information
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:31 PM »
I have wanted to start this thread for a few weeks now.  It’s been discussed many times before but I think there needs to be some good, constructive dialog about what and how much fishing information to share.  I mean this site was designed to share information and some guys are getting criticized for asking some questions!  Hopefully we can discuss what information to share and with how much detail without a lot of negativity or bashing each other for our point of view.

There are a lot of new guys to the site and some of them are younger.  Some may have been lurking for awhile and recently registered, or they are new to the sport.  Ultimately they are all looking for information about ice fishing and how to get better at it.  I personally want them to visit here often and ask questions without getting their bottoms chewed out.  The young guys are the future of this sport and other guys will become helpful with their new information.

The usual hot topics include sharing a specific spot, a specific lake name, photos with the background where the fish were caught, where to park and where is the good ice etc.   Guys get mad that others don’t want to share info while others get mad some share too much info.  Some guys claim others want all the fish for themselves while others claim there is plenty of fish for everyone.  Some don’t share any info, some share info that really doesn’t help the fisherman and some share info freely.

There has been a lot of criticism and negativity in several posts this year.  It’s getting old and I know other guys are tired of it too.   This is the best ice fishing site there is IMO.  During the season, I’m on here multiple times a day to get information and give it when I can.  It’s a 2-way street.  I don’t share everything I know but I share information I feel is appropriate. 

If you have any thoughts on sharing information and the affects it may have….please post.  Again, I would like to keep this civil and have a good discussion.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sharing Information
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:42 PM »
I could not agree more! The 2-way street is the thing. I have watched the same guys time after time ask for information but if you check their post record you will see they NEVER give information. "Help Me" is their cry but never a offer to share. Always where do I park? What do I use? Please help me I can't seem to Ice an Eye.

I have no problem sharing my post record speaks for it's self! If you think it would help I would be glad to post their names  ::) 

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Bret I agree with you . But I also think some things should be left to PMs . I have no problem helping someone out with places to fish but sometimes people need to do some home work for themselves . I will be more than glad to help anyone with spots to gill fish but not perch( I'm sorry I have put to much time finding them to have a 100 people get there before I can) 

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I could not agree more! The 2-way street is the thing. I have watched the same guys time after time ask for information but if you check their post record you will see they NEVER give information. "Help Me" is their cry but never a offer to share. Always where do I park? What do I use? Please help me I can't seem to Ice an Eye.

I have no problem sharing my post record speaks for it's self! If you think it would help I would be glad to post their names  ::) 

hey Doc,
"you reap what you sew"...I agree you get back what you put in.  But what about the the guy/kid new to the sport or the guy who's a novice looking to get better?  They don't have any info to give but need a lot of to improve.

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:05 PM »
I think general advice should be given freely.  But here in Indiana, I think spots should not be shared unless they are generally well-known spots., or if it is a spot you found yourself and you are willing to share.  I will not share a spot that was shared with me.  I have seen too many things happen throughout the years to tell me that I should not tarnish my info-exchange reputation.

Bret, I agree that we should be careful to not discourage those that are the future of the sport, and I think this could be handled better in general, but I don't think it's so much that we should share specific info on an open board, but rather how we handle the inquirer as a good steward sportsman.  Being rude or showing frustration should be considered as wrong as sharing a spot that you shouldn't have.  These questions should be handled lightly, and in many cases a well-meaning and mature sportsman such as yourself ought to send a PM and help out the best way he can and maybe explain a little about why things are the way they are. 

Offline D,Shull

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:22 PM »
I can understand why people don't want to share info,but I don't think its a bad idea to help people out,what I mean is,I don't have to tell on the open forum but whats wrong with pm or email sometimes we all need some type of help.I like this site and I'm new to it so if I can help anyone I will,and do the I can but that's me, Well God Bless
God first,fishing next and Ill think about the rest

Offline BASS BUSTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • RUNNIN FROM THE CROWD
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I agree with graham. Especially with lake access being so hard to get these days you sure don't want to see a bunch of guys drop on a homeowner and ruin it for yourself. We have all seen this happen and it is just going to get worse. General fishing tips are great to share and receive but I think I won't be sharing anymore than the lake they came from.don't mean to offend anyone but I don't party fish.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:36 PM »
hey Doc,
"you reap what you sew"...I agree you get back what you put in.  But what about the the guy/kid new to the sport or the guy who's a novice looking to get better?  They don't have any info to give but need a lot of to improve.

Have to agree,with you,  Bret. Although you usually don't know for sure, , someone may just be starting out, or fairly new to the sport.Could be short of money, knowledge, equipment,etc. Bashing someone , is out of line.I remember a post, Hoosier made recently, where he stated if you don't have anything good to say, don't post and move on. Good info. Although i love to see pics myself,, it could encourage someone to ask more questions, when they see a post ,with fish up the , and they have'nt been doing good at all.Is it just natural ?It would make me wonder what i was,  doing wrong. I know it's not against the law, but I've seen posts, with pics. of tons of fish, , where guys say  they're working on  filling the freezer up. and in another post, claim they're giving them away. Hell, pm the person, and ask him ,or her, what kind of help,or info,  you could give them, to be successful at catching fish.. You don't have to give them you exact spot, or location. I know alot of members might do this, but they're just as many, from what i've seen, that would'nt give you the time of day. I'm nearly 68 yrs. old, and remember when i started. No good clothes, electronics, freeze my rear-end off sometimes, and not catch diddly. Wanted to give up many times. I appreciated all the help i was ever given, and now love it. Don't mean i catch fish all the time, but that's fishing. Started my grandson @ 4 yrs old.

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:46 PM »
The problem isn't with the sharing.  It's with the people who abuse the information given by hammering shared information without ever giving it.  As it has been said many times, "90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen."  But those other 90% take up a lot of space and we then see all the garbage that gets left behind by people who have no morals or respect.  This isn't an elitist attitude by the way.  I don't mind sharing and have done so with many people on here.  A few years ago I posted a spot and then it got hammered and parking is very limited.  Now I was told one of my recent posts led to an area lake getting hammered.  I'm fine with sharing information short of gps coordinates and background information from pictures.  If someone is smart enough to figure that out then fine.  If you do figure it out, don't post in a public forum about how great your detective skills are.  Either use private message or keep it to yourself.  I'll share tactics but ice conditions need to be checked by yourself.   Driving to Indy yesterday I saw many places with partially frozen water and open water.  I don't want to be responsible for someone going swimming or worse. 

Rant over,

Jonesy

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:37 PM »
What If I must turn to someone for help. The inevitable will occur eventually. Will my past actions warrant the response I get? It may be age related, injury related or just general, it makes no difference......someda y the inevitable will occur!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Hell, pm the person, and ask him ,or her, what kind of help,or info,  you could give them, to be successful at catching fish.. You don't have to give them you exact spot, or location. I know alot of members might do this, but they're just as many, from what i've seen, that would'nt give you the time of day. I'm nearly 68 yrs. old, and remember when i started. No good clothes, electronics, freeze my rear-end off sometimes, and not catch diddly. Wanted to give up many times. I appreciated all the help i was ever given, and now love it. Don't mean i catch fish all the time, but that's fishing. Started my grandson @ 4 yrs old.

That's what I'm talking about.  Not everyone on here has the gear, knowledge or means to catch fish every weekend.  I started the same way.  Schooley rods, homemade wooden box, cheap boots & clothes etc.  Moved into some better gear and found this site back in 2005.  Some guys from Ice Shanty decided to get together and try to find some walleye at Pike lake.  I met some good guys that day and learned a few things.  Here's a link to that outing:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=29275.msg278180#msg278180

This site has been wealth of information.  I joined in Feb. '05 but didn't make my first post until Dec. '05.  I got a lot of good info from guys like Swedish Pimple, Jigmup, Jigginstick, Crappie 66, and many more.

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:57 PM »
hey Doc,

Ok Bret I do see your point! Guess I will reconsider my post. Guess I never thought of it that way. Guess we need to just over look the "troll's" and hope people are responsible with information sharing. Can I post their names anyway  ;D One of them just posted something today! ???

Offline Hersh17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Couldn't agree more Bret!! I realize I get an attitude about some forum users at times, however I try to refrain myself from making negative comments on the forum. Usually I'll just  ::) and keep scrolling!! You are 100% right about it being a 2-way street, I try my best to drive the road both ways, if I'm wrong in that by all means PLEASE tell me!!!
Here fishy, fishy.....

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I'm not a guy that gives out spots.  I like trying to figure out where the fish are based on my knowledge and past experience.  I think more guys should learn about the habits of the fish they are targeting.  Then they can go to any body of water and test their knowledge and skills at catching fish. 

I've learned a lot from this site but I've also learned a lot from spending time on the ice searching for fish.

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:02 PM »
There is alot of water to fish in northern indiana and alot of fish to catch in those waters but i have learned to be secretive also. i told a dear freind of my a chub hole one day and the next day when i could fish i couldnt buy a chub out of that hole. him and 3 friends cleaned them out. Im not going to tell you were im fishing just so you can tell so and and and ruin my day. now if you want to know where or how ill point you in the rigjt direction but thats it. i agree with bret the bad attitude is ruining this site. just like a few others. were all fisherman we all want to catch fish. its what we do.

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:04 PM »
wise choice of wording and thoughts grasshopper;  it has always been my understanding that wisdom came from knowledge, understanding and and alot of patience.  if it had not been from people going out of their way to help someone learn i quite possibly should be in a world of hurt.  With that said there are also things that I have had to learn on my own but I am a firm believer in taking others under your wing and i do not necessarily mean become their mentor but to give advice and steering them in the right direction  so a little info given comes from that which you have received.  Since when did this sport or any other for that matter become a entity of the corporate world of dog eat dog.  thanks Bret for your candor and I am beginning to appreciate our meeting even more. 
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:14 PM »
You can teach....thats not a sin. Its nothing to be embarrased about either. You don't need to give everything on a silver platter, just educate others a little. They will pick it up or they will let it go. The ones that pick it up will pass it on. There is a code, its not etched in stone, it is ever evolving. As teachers (if anyone can actually be called that) its up to us to make sure that those that we steer know what rules need to be followed as well as not relying on others but to be observant and to devour the knowledge that is available, that includes advice and ones own due dillegence.

Don't ever be a hoarder, don't ever sell another out and don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth!!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline blueblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I learned alot from oldtimers on summit and prairie creek how to work baits and quite a few hotspots so im not one to hide tactics or a few areas where fish hang out but thats one on one at the lake. Pass a little information on to folks who dont know the lake or just starting out their fishin careers wont hurt a thing. Theres alot of fish there for everyone who puts in the time to learn the locations and presentions. have fun all
blueblade

Offline cmoore09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I am new to this site and have no problems sharing anything i know (which trust me isn't very much) Jig type, line type etc is all good info for everyone.  I do have a problem telling someone the exact spot I am fishing.  I just don't feel comfortable on this forum sharing that information.  I feel general location is one thing, but a guy told me he snapped a picture of the place he fished and the background gave away his spot.  Needless to say a bunch of guys showed up the next day at that spot. 

In other news took my 16 year old cousin out tonight and we did very well!  I'll try and post a picture later.

Cheers!

Offline Den58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:57 PM »
I agree with bret 100%, i learn a lot from this site and i try to give info when i can. I only went out twice this year so I didn't have much to share, but when I do I have no problem telling people what lake I fished what I used, and how deep it's up to them to find and catch them. To me that's what this sites all about, sharing info and helping people who need it

Offline icehog92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:10 PM »
The main thing is finding good ice. Who cares where they are biting and where they are not. I've fished 5' away from guys with vexlars and caught more fish than them without one.  It's called FISHING for a reason. There is enough fish in every lake that it won't hurt you to share lake names.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:12 PM »
This is a great topic.  Thanks Bret for posting it.  My thoughts.  If someone is interested in learning how to ice fish or target certain species, the lake names and locations can be completely removed from the conversation.  The focus should be on rods, reels, line, lures, presentations, fish movements (early, mid, late ice), how to read a map, depths to fish, etc.  If more threads were started asking for input on these topics, the wealth of info shared by the experienced guys would be incredible.  If they take that info and learn to apply it they can be successful on any lake.

I understand everyone wants to get on that 'hot' bite, but that is the easy way out, and you don't learn anything. It won't help you next time.  There are many reasons why I don't give lake names on the forum.  Using PM's, I have put guys coming from a ways down south on a hot bite if I know of one so they do not waste a trip.  If I know the person in the PM I will tell a lake or a spot, but only if I found the spot myself and have some trust or confidence that person is not going share it publicly or abuse it.   Once you release a location or lake, you have lost any control of how many others will be told about it.  It is a sure way to ruin a good bite or spot, so thats the main reason I don't do it on the open forum.  Other than that I will share anything I know about ice fishing with anyone that asks.   I have learned alot from guys on here and have also helped some learn some new things.  It is a two way street and works well. 

I have also met some really good guys through this site, so that is an added bonus you get when you are willing to share.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:23 PM »
To me that's what this sites all about, sharing info and helping people who need it

So true.  We all just want safe ice and catching fish would be a bonus!  I agree with Jigmup...all the info shouldn't be handed over on a silver platter.  Take the information from this site, combine it with some effort on the ice and see what happens.  You might catch some fish and more importantly make some new friends.  With friends comes new information and potential fishing spots.  Treat those friendships and spots with respect!

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Good Thread....This really is a two fold thread.   There is the thought on how to share information on how to success in the sport by understanding gear, technique and etiquette.  The second is sharing spots/lakes. 

First let me say that MrWiggler has me by 8 years so we are both old. ;D  And boy could we tell you some of the ancient techniques we used.  Probably could count them on one hand.  50 years ago there were not many who ice fished.  We were laughed at and were treated like the red headed step child.  (No pun intended). So I have experienced the evolution of this sport to were it's at today.  The biggest change in this sport is the internet.  This is a double edge sword.  We can see both side by just reading the post here.    But we also see  what several of us call "internet cowboys".  These "cowboys are constantly surfing these sites and for the most part do not add any credibility to themselves or the sites they belong too.  Looking to inject negativity on several levels.  Sometimes person attacks.  Again it goes back to one of the problems with the world wide web. 

On sharing information.  There are many categories on this site that address species and techniques.  One can become a adequate angler by just read the 100's of post made from all over the ice belt.  There are many "good sticks" on here that share their knowledge.  Two that come to mind is Jigmup and High Tides.  Jigmup is a very competent angler.  High Tides is a nationally ranked crappie fisherman.  I have had the pleasure to fish with them both.  Matter of fact HT schooled us today. ;)  There are many, let me repeat many of these type fisherman on this site. With that said go back and browse their post and before you know it it all starts making sense.
One the other hand the internet can help an angler in many capcities.  Google "blue gill fishing" and you will see 967,000 results.  Everything you would ever want to know about that topic is there for the reading.  Google Wawasee and you can narrow your search to lake depth or lake fishing.  So isn't it ironic that we all this information on the same computer that others are logging on and asking questions.  Do not get me wrong I have no problem posting thoughts when someone is asking but I do feel sometimes that the younger generations do not want to put the time or the efforts in  doing  the research.  In other words they are looking for the shortcuts.  Now please understand I am not saying ever young person is doing this.  it is obvious who is.  Here is an example of what I'm talking about.  High Tide and I were talking about his big tournament coming up on a particular Lake.  He made the statement that he has spent hours and hours research this body of water this past week.  He is not depending on others to provide him with the information.  It is so rewarding when you are successful after putting so much hard work in your preparation.  Again all this information is there it just takes some effort on your part and yes ask the questions when things don't go as plan or why something may have happened when expecting a different result.
On sharing spots.  I have been burned on this in the past.  I have learned that the best thing to do in a case like this is to carefully know who you are dealing with.  And I mean really understand who this person is and what level of trust is there.  What I have done over the last few years is surround myself with a core of anglers who I have developed a "marriage" type relationship.  I share spots and lakes with this core.  Its is a mutual relationship and respect and find it works very well.  If we hit a particular lake it is always with members of this trusted family.  I have never seen anything good come out of posting pics with background and named spots. 
These are my opinions and none of these comments were intentional directed at anyone in particular.

Bret (BR548) thanks for starting this tread but I have noticed you haven't commented on "sharing spots" but because I know you I thought maybe you should share your thoughts on this.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 AM »
Very fine post and I have read each of the responses.

None of us were born with a fishing pole in our hands.  In my case, I had the good fortune of being born into a fishing family.  Ice fishing is something that I did at a young age and have been hooked ever since.  Everyone has a different story as to how they became an angler, and in this case, an "Icehead".  We all get here by certain avenues to discuss our love of the sport.  Whatever that avenue might be, it is great to have everyone here.  A good friend once told me that if we were all the same, it would be a pretty boring world.  I apply that to the context of this thread. 

In the past few years I have read several posts that seemed to get out of hand when discussing information or better yet guys looking for ice reports.  I aint perfect nor pretend to be, but I didnt get my skills or knowledge from falling off the "turnip truck".  The age of the web has opened a new door to how information is shared.  Love it or hate it, that is the way it is.  I personally think that the glory days of passing info back and forth on the net has passed, or we wouldnt have need of a thread like this.  But it is what it is. 

There is no code.  There are no rules.  There are no laws that concern this topic, other than what works for some, might not work for others. Some might not be willing to share, while others will.  No big deal in my book either way.  Post or dont post, no biggie to me either.  The fact is that the site is a tool, it worked well for quite a few of us in the past......but now in the present I see alot of beatching going on.  It is always a two-way street.

The numbers of friends I have made here are enormous.  I cherish it.  In the end, to me, it is about the fishing not protocol.  Somewhere in there a happy medium is achieved.  Name calling and telling guys to go check it themselves aint the way to approach anything.  Arrogance doesnt work one bit.  Just remember that it is supposed to be fun, not a job.....a sport, not a career..........friend s, not making enemies.

I have always and will continue to help anybody out the best way I can.  However anybody wants to approach me is fine. 

Better season than last year.  Walked a lot of ice in my area.  Got one more tournament to do and I am calling it quits and looking for shrooms.  You guys be safe and make sure you watch some "Hee Haw" reruns.... ;)

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Hit the nail win a prize Nicely Said !

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Good Thread....This really is a two fold thread.   There is the thought on how to share information on how to success in the sport by understanding gear, technique and etiquette.  The second is sharing spots/lakes. 

First let me say that MrWiggler has me by 8 years so we are both old. ;D  And boy could we tell you some of the ancient techniques we used.  Probably could count them on one hand.  50 years ago there were not many who ice fished.  We were laughed at and were treated like the red headed step child.  (No pun intended). So I have experienced the evolution of this sport to were it's at today.  The biggest change in this sport is the internet.  This is a double edge sword.  We can see both side by just reading the post here.    But we also see  what several of us call "internet cowboys".  These "cowboys are constantly surfing these sites and for the most part do not add any credibility to themselves or the sites they belong too.  Looking to inject negativity on several levels.  Sometimes person attacks.  Again it goes back to one of the problems with the world wide web. 

On sharing information.  There are many categories on this site that address species and techniques.  One can become a adequate angler by just read the 100's of post made from all over the ice belt.  There are many "good sticks" on here that share their knowledge.  Two that come to mind is Jigmup and High Tides.  Jigmup is a very competent angler.  High Tides is a nationally ranked crappie fisherman.  I have had the pleasure to fish with them both.  Matter of fact HT schooled us today. ;)  There are many, let me repeat many of these type fisherman on this site. With that said go back and browse their post and before you know it it all starts making sense.
One the other hand the internet can help an angler in many capcities.  Google "blue gill fishing" and you will see 967,000 results.  Everything you would ever want to know about that topic is there for the reading.  Google Wawasee and you can narrow your search to lake depth or lake fishing.  So isn't it ironic that we all this information on the same computer that others are logging on and asking questions.  Do not get me wrong I have no problem posting thoughts when someone is asking but I do feel sometimes that the younger generations do not want to put the time or the efforts in  doing  the research.  In other words they are looking for the shortcuts.  Now please understand I am not saying ever young person is doing this.  it is obvious who is.  Here is an example of what I'm talking about.  High Tide and I were talking about his big tournament coming up on a particular Lake.  He made the statement that he has spent hours and hours research this body of water this past week.  He is not depending on others to provide him with the information.  It is so rewarding when you are successful after putting so much hard work in your preparation.  Again all this information is there it just takes some effort on your part and yes ask the questions when things don't go as plan or why something may have happened when expecting a different result.
On sharing spots.  I have been burned on this in the past.  I have learned that the best thing to do in a case like this is to carefully know who you are dealing with.  And I mean really understand who this person is and what level of trust is there.  What I have done over the last few years is surround myself with a core of anglers who I have developed a "marriage" type relationship.  I share spots and lakes with this core.  Its is a mutual relationship and respect and find it works very well.  If we hit a particular lake it is always with members of this trusted family.  I have never seen anything good come out of posting pics with background and named spots. 
These are my opinions and none of these comments were intentional directed at anyone in particular.

Bret (BR548) thanks for starting this tread but I have noticed you haven't commented on "sharing spots" but because I know you I thought maybe you should share your thoughts on this.

Excellent post Phil, I couldn't have said it better! This past weekend is what the this site is all about! First time I met Jigmup, was at the IS vs Info. tournament on PC, and he beat me by 1/100 of an inch to get first in that division. Since then, we've fish at least a 100 times, including this weekend when him and IceDogg worked their backsides off finding a good bite, and invited me to benefit.  They included a handful of other stand up guys that they've entrusted as time went on, and we had great conversation, good laughs, even through very tough conditions. Thank you again Mark and Tony, as well as the guys out of the ice for a GREAT time! That same tourney I met M-Paul, and he's one of the best anglers and guy I know! I developed so many great relationships from this site it's astonishing! However, they're has been some bumps in the road as well, but that will happen with anything you do. I'm with Phil as to the fact that free information is everywhere, and you don't build strong relationships taking the easy road. The crew of guys I fish with WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF to catch fish and gave up tons of time, money and energy to reach levels not seen by most.  So of course their is a sense of entitlement, it's only natural, and rightfully so in my book. Quite frankly, nobody owes you anything and the sharing of information is a present in good faith! IS is both a blessing and a curse, but in the end, you have to decide what it means to you, and at the same time realize that it doesn't mean the same to the next guy... good or bad! Good thread Bret... enjoyed fishing with you this weekend!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:06 AM »

The concept of sharing fishing spots can be tricky. My experience with sharing a fishing spot wasn’t a good one.  Without getting into details….it was very awkward and some guys were not happy and rightfully so.  Friendships can be won or lost over fishing spots!  Some guys don’t mind telling their favorite spots and others keep them guarded very well!   The problem is when friends of each of these groups overlap.   Be respectful to your friends and their fishing spots.  If you value their friendship and they want you to keep a spot quiet then do so.  Treat them how you would want to be treated. 

Tell the truth.  I’ve lied to keep a spot from being revealed.  I’m not proud of it.  It was a spot someone told me about and trusted me not to tell others.  Either tell the truth or politely tell them the information was shared in confidence and you are not going to discuss it.  You are not obligated to tell anyone anything just because they ask you.  It’s your information and you get to choose what to do with it.

Finally there are guys out there that are “takers” and can’t be trusted.  They have only one agenda and it’s their agenda.  Getting what they can without being a good friend or a good steward to the fish or game. 

IMO when you find a trustworthy person….give freely and expect nothing in return…that is truly giving.  If you give with the expectation of getting something in return you aren’t really giving are you?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Finally there are guys out there that are “takers” and can’t be trusted.  They have only one agenda and it’s their agenda.  Getting what they can without being a good friend or a good steward to the fish or game. 

IMO when you find a trustworthy person….give freely and expect nothing in return…that is truly giving.  If you give with the expectation of getting something in return you aren’t really giving are you?

These last two sentences pretty much say it all.  I have been given great info, tips and spots by people from here that I had never personally met at the time of them giving me info.  Most of them I have met in person since, even one this weekend.  There is one I still have to meet face to face, and that meeting is in the 'works'.  Some fish for species I only occasionally target, and some rarely fish for what I do, but you can still learn from them.  Why did they choose to give me info sight unseen?  Only they can answer that question.  In return, if I have some info to share or are on a hot bite (only seems to happen when they are also on one) they will be the first to know about it.  Why?  Not because they 'expect' payback, but because it is the right thing to do.  Just like Bret said if your reason for giving is the expectation of something back, you are not truly giving.  The same applies for if you are constantly recieving with no intent of giving back, you become a 'taker'.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:35 AM »
I believe in sharing most info also.... I don't mind giving out info on specific locations if using some good judgement. Most places I fish have plenty of room for quite a few people. If it was say a very small lake or channel that was currently being fished daily by a fair number of people, I may be more reluctant to give out that exact lake. But I just posted a thread exactly where to go to find some decent ice. (cemetery cove rd. lk.) There a couple reasons I didn't mind giving that out. 1. Not many fishing it. 2. It's hard to find ice right now for some people without driving all over. 3. I know it is solid ice and "relative safe" (in quotations as I know there is really no such thing as "safe" ice.) If I am going to tell someone where to go I want to be accurate as possible (for safety's sake) and tell them somewhere I have recently been fishing & know the current ice condition. (Also can PM, but as well all know, fishing info usually tends to travel fast)  ;D

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.