Author Topic: What is it with crappie  (Read 8366 times)

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
Re: What is it with crappie
« Reply #60 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:02 AM »
My wife will take crappie over gills most any day.  As for me I love both along with fresh walleye.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 19, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Yellow perch, walleye, whitefish, bluegill, crappie, bass, catfish, salmon, trout... in that order!  ;)
I hope you meant Chilean Sea Bass when you put bass in there :roflmao:.  My brother in law lives on Wawasee and says the best tasting fish in the world is bass.  He eats big tournament sized bass out of there by the bucketfulls every week.  Ive been to Alaska 3 times and love the taste of Halibut.  As far as fish around here this is how my vote goes.  Yellow perch, walleye, whitefish, trout, bluegill, pike, crappie, salmon.

Offline BASS BUSTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • RUNNIN FROM THE CROWD
« Reply #62 on: Feb 19, 2013, 01:51 PM »
It's all culinary up in here now. Sounds like you guys got good recipes.  So I figured Ishow a pic of that perch pasta I was talking about.

(Image removed from quote.)
reservations for two please.lol

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:04 PM »
I hope you meant Chilean Sea Bass when you put bass in there :roflmao:.  My brother in law lives on Wawasee and says the best tasting fish in the world is bass.  He eats big tournament sized bass out of there by the bucketfulls every week.  Ive been to Alaska 3 times and love the taste of Halibut.  As far as fish around here this is how my vote goes.  Yellow perch, walleye, whitefish, trout, bluegill, pike, crappie, salmon.

LOL, nope Largemouth! Only through the ice, and only between 14"-15-1/2".  Here a story for you though. I was fishing a Super Regional last year on Kentucky Lake, and Steve Coleman (a seven time national champ) parks next to me and we get into some small talk in passing.  He then calls me over and said "check this out", he then reaches into the cooler and pulls a monster of a largemouth out of the cooler! When I asked him what it weighed he said "8.24 lbs", and I was like awesome, but what are you going to do with it?  He looked at me like, what kind of dumb question is that... then said "bake it"  :o.  The next tournament my partner catches this toad... and he said "you want to bake this one and give a try", and I replied "naw we let it go and save it for Coleman" ;D:

The next time out, I catch this one, and I thought it was a sign:

And made fish tacos:

And I couldn't hardly tell the difference!  :thumbsup:
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #64 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:08 PM »
LOL, nope Largemouth! Only through the ice, and only between 14"-15-1/2".  Here a story for you though. I was fishing a Super Regional last year on Kentucky Lake, and Steve Coleman (a seven time national champ) parks next to me and we get into some small talk in passing.  He then calls me over and said "check this out", he then reaches into the cooler and pulls a monster of a largemouth out of the cooler! When I asked him what it weighed he said "8.24 lbs", and I was like awesome, but what are you going to do with it?  He looked at me like, what kind of dumb question is that... then said "bake it"  :o.  The next tournament my partner catches this toad... and he said "you want to bake this one and give a try", and I replied "naw we let it go and save it for Coleman" ;D:
And made fish tacos:

LOL!...he catches crappie by the bucketfull and he is eating an 8lb bass!!  :roflmao:   :o  Have heard the small ones are good to eat, just never have the need with all the gills and crappie around.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:22 PM »
All panfish are great eating. I'm a Gill fisherman.I love those huge toads over 9 inches great fighters and the best to me,but perch and crappie are great too.   I've never been one to pass up a flurry hot crappie bite. You can ice a pile if you get on them. This year way more crappie than gills. If gills only grew to 10 lbs ,hang on baby they would be tough to land.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:33 PM »
And made fish tacos:
Very nice bass, nothing like that around here.  However, the true giants live a little further south.  If you feel like taking a roadtrip this fall let me know.  My relatives in Alabama tournament fish alot on the Tennessee River and there are some giants in there.  We can take a 3 day roadtrip.  We can go fishing on Friday and Sunday.  On Saturday I'll take you to a game in Tuscaloosa and you can watch a thing of greatness in the most electric rowdy stadium in the land :bow: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:47 PM »
If we go to Alabama, we'll have to go to Weiss Lake. Don't know if Alabama will have a team this year, because heck they just lost three players last week... robbery, assault, drugs... If they start cracking down now the whole team will be suspended!  :callcops: >:D :nono: :roflmao:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:13 PM »
If we go to Alabama, we'll have to go to Weiss Lake. Don't know if Alabama will have a team this year, because heck they just lost three players last week... robbery, assault, drugs... If they start cracking down now the whole team will be suspended!  :callcops: >:D :nono: :roflmao:

I think you misunderstood the reports...Those were the classes they were taking at Alabama....robbery 101, assault 357, and drugs 20$!  So the team should be ready as ever! :clap: :callcops: :woot: :nono:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I think you misunderstood the reports...Those were the classes they were taking at Alabama....robbery 101, assault 357, and drugs 20$!  So the team should be ready as ever! :clap: :callcops: :woot: :nono:
You're killing me!!!  ;D

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 19, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Those tacos look tasty.  And that was a nice bass.

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Quote from: BASS BUSTER
reservations for two please.lol

HAha, thanks.  I figure it's the best meat we can get in the state, so why not dress it up? Thanks to others that gave compliments.  And Bret--those came from a lake you know of that is curiously full of small perch.  ;D

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:27 PM »
I guess so.  Then we can bring our own booze because where my relatives live is a dry county.  Once we tie one on we can try and beat women bartenders(ND hockey team) then after they call the cops on us we can try and run from the cops and get caught(ND football team) 

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:30 PM »
I almost forgot.  If we end up getting away with battering women and running from the cops we could always just go fishing and tell each other about our ghost girlfriends that we've never meet.  I will listen all about your dream woman if you will listen about mine :roflmao:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I almost forgot.  If we end up getting away with battering women and running from the cops we could always just go fishing and tell each other about our ghost girlfriends that we've never meet.  I will listen all about your dream woman if you will listen about mine :roflmao:
If someone calls the cops, you can bet I'm going to run... Sure not going to stand there and get arrested! Learned that when I went to Bama for a semester Robbery 101! You can stand there and take the heat, I'll bail you out! LOL

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:04 PM »
I learned at ND that I dont have to outrun the cops I just have to outrun you, LOL.  I wasnt going to let you beat up on BAMA and not jab back with some of the situations that ND has had in the past year or 2.  The Alabama ordeal is bad for the university but I'm glad they got caught.  I don't care what university they go to what they did is wrong.  I hope they learn their lesson.  They had a chance to start this season for what writers are saying will be the best college football team there has ever been and blew their opportunity.  I hope everyone learns a lesson from this and thinks twice.  The old saying "Do what's right when nobody is looking"

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #76 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Sorry easyprey jigs.... I think your thread took a big diversion....LOL.

HHD

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #77 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:25 AM »
And Bret--those came from a lake you know of that is curiously full of small perch. 

Hmmmm.....if it's the lake I'm thinking of they are getting bigger!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Hmmmm.....if it's the lake I'm thinking of they are getting bigger!

Good to hear. Thx!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.