Author Topic: What is it with crappie  (Read 8365 times)

Offline Easyprey jigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What is it with crappie
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Well I did not think my post would get so many feedback but thanks I will still stick to my blue gills lol
Fl20

Offline RairsDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • should have been here yesterday
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Well I did not think my post would get so many feedback but thanks I will still stick to my blue gills lol

Why don't you like Crappie?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:39 AM »
I don't bread when baking much, but when I do, a good general recipe is (remember I try to keep it relatively health):
I use  2:1 ratio (cups) of soy milk to lime juice wash to hold the batter. Then I use a 2:1 mix of Panko to corn meal, and added 3 heaping table spoons of parmesan cheese or shedded cheese (whatever you prefer), and two tablespoons of Zaterans blacken season. The I very lightly coat baking tray with a mix of "I can't believe it's not butter" and olive oil. Bake at 400 for 7-10 (more the batter, the longer cook time). Pull them out, and hit them with fresh lemon and serve on a bed of rice. Simple, fast, and delicious!!

I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Challenging at times to catch through the ice.  I usually take the fillets, roll them in flour, dip them in beaten eggs (the flour helps the egg stick to it), then roll them in italian seasoned bread crumbs (add your own spices to the bread crumbs to customize it), then fry them in a pan of your choice of oils until they brown, flip, then eat.  Simple and delicious.

I worked in a couple Italian restaurants back in the day and that's exactly how they cooked off cutlets for veal and chicken parmesan.. veal cutlets, chicken cutlets. To this day, whenever I want a good crusty breading on something, that is how I do it (well except now gluten free).  I usually like my fish breading a little lighter but if I get into some little perch, I clean them with the bones in and then bread with flour egg ital bread crumbs with a little parmesan, fried up and served over garlic, oil, lemon, and parsely liguinie. Good stuff. Not as good as it used to be with no gluten, but still good. Lol

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I don't bread when baking much, but when I do, a good general recipe is (remember I try to keep it relatively health):
I use  2:1 ratio (cups) of soy milk to lime juice wash to hold the batter. Then I use a 2:1 mix of Panko to corn meal, and added 3 heaping table spoons of parmesan cheese or shedded cheese (whatever you prefer), and two tablespoons of Zaterans blacken season. The I very lightly coat baking tray with a mix of "I can't believe it's not butter" and olive oil. Bake at 400 for 7-10 (more the batter, the longer cook time). Pull them out, and hit them with fresh lemon and serve on a bed of rice. Simple, fast, and delicious!!

Sounds pretty good. We are pretty healthy in what we eat nowadays--down to the two nutribullet shakes a day with flax and goji berries and whatever else she puts in there. But I have hung on to frying panfish...I call it a treat.  We don't eat it three times a week though, that's alot of fish, especially for me with three boys .

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:25 PM »
I worked in a couple Italian restaurants back in the day and that's exactly how they cooked off cutlets for veal and chicken parmesan.. veal cutlets, chicken cutlets. To this day, whenever I want a good crusty breading on something, that is how I do it (well except now gluten free).  I usually like my fish breading a little lighter but if I get into some little perch, I clean them with the bones in and then bread with flour egg ital bread crumbs with a little parmesan, fried up and served over garlic, oil, lemon, and parsely liguinie. Good stuff. Not as good as it used to be with no gluten, but still good. Lol
Yeah, sometimes it's tough to find the Gluten free stuff.  If we have anyone over for dinner that is Gluten free, I will crush up Gluten free Chex cereal and use that as the breading, not as good but still tasty.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Yeah, sometimes it's tough to find the Gluten free stuff.  If we have anyone over for dinner that is Gluten free, I will crush up Gluten free Chex cereal and use that as the breading, not as good but still tasty.

Yeah that works. For fish I do a blend of masa corn flour and ground cornflakes, then
 season however. 

Sorry for the hijack, OP.  Crappie really are pretty good. You should give them another try!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Well, I have all the ingredients here on hand except the soy milk.  Think I may have to pass on that and just use the 2% on hand as I don't think I can con the kids into fininshing the soy off if I bought some!  LOL.  Might have to give it a try.  I know my wife would enjoy it.  You do anything to the rice or is it just a bed of white or brown rice?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Well, I have all the ingredients here on hand except the soy milk.  Think I may have to pass on that and just use the 2% on hand as I don't think I can con the kids into fininshing the soy off if I bought some!  LOL.  Might have to give it a try.  I know my wife would enjoy it.  You do anything to the rice or is it just a bed of white or brown rice?
LOL 2% is just fine. In regard to the rice, my wife does wild rice, and I prefer brown (microwave cups). Tonight, the menu will be yellow perch oven baked with lemon pepper, garlic salt, capers, with thin lemon slice on top. Topping will be diced avocado, tomato, onion, cucumber, mixed with tablespoon of olive oil and a 1/4 wedge of lemon juice. On the plate, I'll lay a bed of shredded lettuce first, then add the cup of rice right on top, then fish, then topping. Can't wait!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:15 PM »
You ain't right Jeff ???  Must have fell and hit your head :)

Care to elaborate?  I thought you would agree about the walleye. What are your favorites? 

Haven't hit my head............ Yet!  :-)

-Jeff

Offline RairsDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Care to elaborate?  I thought you would agree about the walleye. What are your favorites? 

Haven't hit my head............ Yet!  :-)

-Jeff

I agree with you Jeff! Crappie taste Great!!!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Yellow perch, walleye, whitefish, bluegill, crappie, bass, catfish, salmon, trout... in that order!  ;)

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Sit a plate of bluegill and crappie in front of me, and I will go for the bluegill every time.  That's not to say I don't like crappie though.  For wax....do you soak your fillets in water for awhile after cleaning?  This was something I used to do until my professionally trained chef daughter read me the riot act. Also I think winter time crappie are just firmer and better to eat. I really like Panko crumbs as a coating for crappie, and I think the crunchiness of the coating offsets the soft texture of crappie. I find panko crumbs are also great if you are a "fried" fish guy, but are forced by your wife to eat healthy baked fish...LOL.  They work great baked and seem like you are eating fried but without the grease.

Lately, I have gotten in the habit of pre- breading some of my fillets before I freeze them. This may seem a chore, but is very handy and saves you time on the backend.  You may be too tired the day of fishing from yanking in all those hogs lol, so just clean, rinse, and drain real well and put into a ziplock bag and place in fridge until the next day (don't soak in water) .

Sometimes my wife and I set up an assembly line...we have a couple of those plastic contianers you use to bread your fish in...so we put flour in one and panko crumbs in the other.  First pat your fillets dry as much as possible and then coat with flour.  Next break some eggs in a bowl and whisk up then dredge your floured fillets in the egg wash, then drop into the panko crumbs for the final coating.  If I am freezing them...I lay these out on cookie sheets and put in the freezer for a couple hours until stiffened up then I use my foodsaver to vacuum seal them.  The beauty of this process is that you can either fry or bake and also you can take individual fillets out to cook and don't have to thaw out the whole bunch.  My 88 yr old mother-in-law loves this...she just takes out what she needs to cook out of a package at one time.  You can of course add any seasoning you like.  For me, just a little salt works just fine.   

Anyway similar to what HT said... to bake, just put them out on a cookie sheet or on foil with a coating of something to keep them from sticking and bake at 400 degree...until your coating start crisping up.  For baking , it also helps to either mix a little olive oil in the panko crumbs  before breading or adding a little right before baking...makes a little crispier...but not necessary.  I just had some of these baked this weekend and they were great !

HHD

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Sit a plate of bluegill and crappie in front of me, and I will go for the bluegill every time.  That's not to say I don't like crappie though.  For wax....do you soak your fillets in water for awhile after cleaning?  This was something I used to do until my professionally trained chef daughter read me the riot act. Also I think winter time crappie are just firmer and better to eat. I really like Panko crumbs as a coating for crappie, and I think the crunchiness of the coating offsets the soft texture of crappie. I find panko crumbs are also great if you are a "fried" fish guy, but are forced by your wife to eat healthy baked fish...LOL.  They work great baked and seem like you are eating fried but without the grease.

Lately, I have gotten in the habit of pre- breading some of my fillets before I freeze them. This may seem a chore, but is very handy and saves you time on the backend.  You may be too tired the day of fishing from yanking in all those hogs lol, so just clean, rinse, and drain real well and put into a ziplock bag and place in fridge until the next day (don't soak in water) .

Sometimes my wife and I set up an assembly line...we have a couple of those plastic contianers you use to bread your fish in...so we put flour in one and panko crumbs in the other.  First pat your fillets dry as much as possible and then coat with flour.  Next break some eggs in a bowl and whisk up then dredge your floured fillets in the egg wash, then drop into the panko crumbs for the final coating.  If I am freezing them...I lay these out on cookie sheets and put in the freezer for a couple hours until stiffened up then I use my foodsaver to vacuum seal them.  The beauty of this process is that you can either fry or bake and also you can take individual fillets out to cook and don't have to thaw out the whole bunch.  My 88 yr old mother-in-law loves this...she just takes out what she needs to cook out of a package at one time.  You can of course add any seasoning you like.  For me, just a little salt works just fine.   

Anyway similar to what HT said... to bake, just put them out on a cookie sheet or on foil with a coating of something to keep them from sticking and bake at 400 degree...until your coating start crisping up.  For baking , it also helps to either mix a little olive oil in the panko crumbs  before breading or adding a little right before baking...makes a little crispier...but not necessary.  I just had some of these baked this weekend and they were great !

HHD
Yeah, it's because of you I started adding Panko... My daughter didn't start eating fish until I added it to the mix. I never soak in water either! May try the pre-made freezer fillets though... but it's already hard enough keeping my friends out of the freeze.  If I start ready-making the fillet, I'll never get any!  ;D

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:04 PM »
It's all culinary up in here now. Sounds like you guys got good recipes.  So I figured Ishow a pic of that perch pasta I was talking about.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Graham,  that looks awfully Good!  ;D
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:14 PM »
wow... I am suddenly getting hungry !!!

HHD

Offline RairsDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 PM »
It's all culinary up in here now. Sounds like you guys got good recipes.  So I figured Ishow a pic of that perch pasta I was talking about.

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks awesome!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:48 PM »
For wax....do you soak your fillets in water for awhile after cleaning? 

No...never soak them in water after cleaning.  In fact I try to make sure the fish don't freeze on the ice, then have to thaw to clean them only to freeze them again to store them.  That will make them mushy too.  The only water the fillets see after taking off the skin is a final rinse and drain before the food saver.  I can definitely tell the difference between gills and crappie.  Love them perch and gills and could eat crappie if I needed to.  I will have to try some of the methods here and see if it changes my opinion.  Alot of people will not be happy if I start eating the crappies too instead of giving them away.

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:21 PM »
In this order....Walleye.....p erch.....Gills.....Wal leye.....perch.....Gil ls   well sometimes.... Perch...Walleye...Gill s.... if I we get a croppie we usually cut the line.   ::)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:36 PM »
One way I got my family and friends to enjoy the taste of Crappie is to get the blood out of them. The blood will give them a wild taste compared to a bluegill. After filleting I will get a pan of clean water and while I squeeze the fillet I work the blood out of the veins and dip into the clean water. The Crappie have so many veins which lets them hold more blood. You would be surprised how big of a difference it makes.

One other reason people don't like Crappie is where they catch them. If it is a dirty water area, the Crappie will be full of mud. I have some places I will not eat a Crappie from. Not worth the effort. As long as the lake is clean they are fine. I do put mine in a walmart plastic bag after catching and it keeps them better than throwing them on the ice and freezing.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:39 PM »
In this order....Walleye.....p erch.....Gills.....Wal leye.....perch.....Gil ls   well sometimes.... Perch...Walleye...Gill s.... if I we get a croppie we usually cut the line.   ::)
???  your silly

Offline lcshtsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Hey wax worm, what's the reason for never soaking the fillets in water?  Never heard this before.  I always soak them. Would love to know the reasoning behind this.  I always love to learn new things about the culinary world.  Thanks.

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #53 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Ifillet mine as fast as possible rinse in clean water and then soak in sea salt water for about an hour then rinse and freeze Draws all blood out and firms up the meat some more

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 PM »
White Bass, Sheephead, Creek Chub and then Spotted Gar!

"Ill trade all you guys equall amounts of my perch and/or walleye for yr crappie...   lets make a deal!!! "
how would you like this metric ton of specks delivered?
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #55 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:38 PM »
White Bass, Sheephead, Creek Chub and then Spotted Gar!

"Ill trade all you guys equall amounts of my perch and/or walleye for yr crappie...   lets make a deal!!! "
how would you like this metric ton of specks delivered?
lol, i love it

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Hey wax worm, what's the reason for never soaking the fillets in water?  Never heard this before.  I always soak them. Would love to know the reasoning behind this.  I always love to learn new things about the culinary world.  Thanks.

I have never soaked them in water just a final rinse to get any stray scales or debris from cleaning off them.  There is a reason fish have scales and skin on the outside when living in a water environment.   The scales and skin are keeping the 'meat' from coming in contact with the water and absorbing it.   There is a reason for this or fish would not have scales or skin.   I don't know why, but my fillets don't have blood in them like I hear some talk about, so after a rinse the fillet is clean white meat.  I have no reason to soak them.  They don't have a 'fishy' taste, they are just not as firm as a gill or perch fillet.  I don't know what others do different to get fillets full of blood.  I assume this is why you soak yours?

You did not mention salt in your water but some say they soak them in salt water and the meat firms up.  There is a reason for this.  When you add salt it draws water from the cells in the meat.  It can also break cell walls and this will not only pull blood out of meat but it will pull moisture too.  In the flesh (muscle cells) of the fish there is trapped water.  If you put them in salt water the fresh water in the cells is pulled from the meat making it more firm (tough).   Ever seen a peice of salt cod?  It is like leather before hydrating.

This same principle is why they say never to drink salt water as it quickens dehydration because it pulls water from the cells of the body.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Blood is a good thing....the fresher the fish, the more blood.  Fillet one that is alive and kicking versus one that has been laying on the ice for awhile and see.  If rigormortise has set in...you are not going to get blood, lol.  Soaking in salt water or brining was just something that my parents did with any wild game to remove the blood as much as possible and something I just did while growing up.  My daughter made me "unlearn" that with fish.  Brining does have a long history, and that moist juicy chicken you rave about was probably brined...this is especially true for rather dry chicken breasts. Here is a clip from wiki that talks about it...

In cooking, brining is a process similar to marination in which meat or poultry is soaked in brine before cooking.[1] Equal parts sugar and salt is added to cold water in a container, where the meat is soaked usually six to twelve hours. The amount of time needed to brine depends on the size of the meat. More time is needed for a large turkey compared to a broiler fryer chicken. Similarly with a large roast versus a thin cut of meat.

Brining makes cooked meat moister by hydrating the cells of its muscle tissue before cooking, via the process of osmosis, and by allowing the cells to hold on to the water while they are cooked, via the process of denaturation.[1] The brine surrounding the cells has a higher concentration of salt than the fluid within the cells, but the cell fluid has a higher concentration of other solutes.[1] This leads salt ions to diffuse into the cell, whilst the solutes in the cells cannot diffuse through the cell membranes into the brine. The increased salinity of the cell fluid causes the cell to absorb water from the brine via osmosis.[1] The salt introduced into the cell also denatures its proteins.[1] The proteins coagulate, forming a matrix that traps water molecules and holds them during cooking. This prevents the meat from dehydrating.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:39 AM »

Guess I forgot you don't care for Crappie. Every time you cut the line it leaves one more for those of us that do like 'em!

I haven't ate enough fresh perch to form an opinion. Thanks for the explanation!

-Jeff

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:32 AM »
Blood is a good thing....the fresher the fish, the more blood.  Fillet one that is alive and kicking versus one that has been laying on the ice for awhile and see.  If rigormortise has set in...you are not going to get blood, lol.  Soaking in salt water or brining was just something that my parents did with any wild game to remove the blood as much as possible and something I just did while growing up.  My daughter made me "unlearn" that with fish.  Brining does have a long history, and that moist juicy chicken you rave about was probably brined...this is especially true for rather dry chicken breasts. Here is a clip from wiki that talks about it...

In cooking, brining is a process similar to marination in which meat or poultry is soaked in brine before cooking.[1] Equal parts sugar and salt is added to cold water in a container, where the meat is soaked usually six to twelve hours. The amount of time needed to brine depends on the size of the meat. More time is needed for a large turkey compared to a broiler fryer chicken. Similarly with a large roast versus a thin cut of meat.

Brining makes cooked meat moister by hydrating the cells of its muscle tissue before cooking, via the process of osmosis, and by allowing the cells to hold on to the water while they are cooked, via the process of denaturation.[1] The brine surrounding the cells has a higher concentration of salt than the fluid within the cells, but the cell fluid has a higher concentration of other solutes.[1] This leads salt ions to diffuse into the cell, whilst the solutes in the cells cannot diffuse through the cell membranes into the brine. The increased salinity of the cell fluid causes the cell to absorb water from the brine via osmosis.[1] The salt introduced into the cell also denatures its proteins.[1] The proteins coagulate, forming a matrix that traps water molecules and holds them during cooking. This prevents the meat from dehydrating.

HD is correct, as I did not take it far enough to where the protien in the cell is broken down which causes some of the water pulled from the cells by the salt to return to the cells for balance as the chemical makeup in the cells is now different..  One note...Brining is usually done to very lean meats which crappie fillets are to make them juicier.  I can understand juicy pork, turkey and chicken, but juicy crappie?  Fish cook much faster than alot of people think so the are overcooked alot.  Maybe brining them gives a little exrta lee way in the cooking process before they are dried out, but I have never run into dried out baked or fried crappie before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.