Author Topic: What is it with crappie  (Read 8364 times)

Offline Easyprey jigs

• IceShanty Rookie
What is it with crappie
« on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Why dose everyone go nuts over crappie I think they are nasty I would rather have gills or perch I just can't see why there is always a big crappie cult
Fl20

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
Re: What is it with crappie
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Once you go white you will fish more at night meat that is

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:10 PM »
the white will excite! lol

lots of reasons! -they can get big- they eat good- they school up, so you can sometimes catch a bunch- they can get finicky and  be a challenging- willing to hit lures- wide spread.......  there are "cults" for all fish though.  im a lifelong member of many different "cults".  ;)  yo dont be a hate-ah. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Love to catch crappie when sight fishing.  The biggers one fight good.  Also like them because when you find one there are usually alot more around.  I don't eat them so the ones I catch are usually what I give away after cleaning them.

Offline WELL.......

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Love catching crappie after dark on clear ice nothing better in the light of a Colman lantern
THATS RIGHT I SAID IT........AND I MEANT IT !!!

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Well they do run bigger in size compared to the gills, and they do "school" up so where there is one expect more. They can be so picky it can drive you nutz or to drink  :o But it is a site to look out the shanty window across the lake and see a cascading glow coming from a lantern as the ice beneth you is shining a bright {green,white, or blue} from your REEL-LITE. God just meant it to be that way my friend.  :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Ill give you ALL my gills fir ur crappie !!!

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Amen brother me TOO!

Offline Hersh17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Love catching crappie after dark on clear ice nothing better in the light of a Colman lantern
X1000!!!!!!!!!
Here fishy, fishy.....

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I agree, years ago I crappie fished quite a bit but then gave it a rest for about 3-4 years.  Got a new shanty and because of my work schedule sometimes crappie fishing works better for me.  Usually it's hit or miss but the hit nights are great.

Offline Hersh17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I agree, years ago I crappie fished quite a bit but then gave it a rest for about 3-4 years.  Got a new shanty and because of my work schedule sometimes crappie fishing works better for me.  Usually it's hit or miss but the hit nights are great.
The "hit" nights make you forget about the "miss" nights!!!
Here fishy, fishy.....

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Why dose everyone go nuts over crappie I think they are nasty I would rather have gills or perch I just can't see why there is always a big crappie cult
i take it you have never tasted one or fished for them. Ill forgive you this time,just dont say is again

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:23 PM »
There's nothing better than getting on a large school of crappies.  They can be a challenge to catch. Monster slabs!!  It's not a cult, it's an ADDICTION!!

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:51 AM »
There's nothing better than getting on a large school of crappies.  They can be a challenge to catch. Monster slabs!!  It's not a cult, it's an ADDICTION!!
X2
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:21 AM »
It's in the blood, been fishing for them all my life. Love getting into a mess of nice one. But I'll fish for anything that swims.

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Got addicted when I saw the two over 18"'s a few years back.  I was there for one and it wouldn't fit through the 6" hole.  Had to hold it while we drilled a hole next to it and then spudded the middle out.  Two guys took turns holding it.  It was a beast. 

Jonesy

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:52 PM »

They can be more of a challenge to catch than gills and in my opinion they are the second best eating fish behind walleye, especially through the ice.

-Jeff

Offline ice-dogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:08 PM »
in my opinion they are the second best eating fish behind walleye, especially through the ice.

-Jeff
what?

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:09 PM »
what?

Just my personal opinion/tastes. :)

-Jeff

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2013, 04:23 AM »
in my opinion they are the second best eating fish behind walleye, especially through the ice.

-Jeff

You ain't right Jeff ???  Must have fell and hit your head :)

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:02 AM »
If you find an active school over open water, the action can be hot and heavy. A couple years ago I was fishing as that real bad ice storm came through and it was one after another until I had no choice but to leave or my vehicle would have been impossible to get into.. Initially they were scattered through the water column in 25-30 fow, but after I caught a few they were practically waiting under my hole for me to drop my rap down.  I had a limit 10+ inchers in less than a half hour.  I have fished that same area a lot and had never seen it that way before and haven't since. Don't get me wrong, I have caught quite a few fish there, but this was like what you always hope your day is gonna be like as you fall asleep the night before you go fishing. Lol! I really hated to leave. I could have gotten a limit of 12+" if I had more time. I hear of a lot of guys having such days somewhat often but that's pretty dang good for me.

As far as taste I have found that it is key to make sure your oil is hot enough--between 400 and 425--and do not over cook them.  They cook fast so the oil has to be hot to brown the breading. I have eaten a lot of mushy crappie that was cooked too long in oil that wasn't hot enough.made by yours truly until I figured this out.

But I would still rather have perch or eyes or gills or redears.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:26 AM »
They are not my favorite fish to eat but they are in the top 4.  Graham made a good point in his post.  If you find them schooled up it is most likely a feeding frenzy.  Non-stop excitement!  I really enjoy ice-out crappie action.  They start moving into their shallow spawning bays....no boat needed....just a bubble float and some small jigs!

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 AM »
 :o Nice catch

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:21 AM »
I have asked myself that questions for every species that swims.  When I fish with a guy that has a passion for a specific fish, it becomes contagious! People consider me a "crappie" guy, but that is only partly true. I fished with a guy who fly fishes for carp, he took me out on a outing... what a blast! I had a guide buddy take me out last year "trolling for cats", and it was awesome! Ice fishing and open water jigging for walleyes... wow, perch fishing late ice... can it get better? First ice bluegilling... heck yeah, I'm in! Salmon off the prier, port, on the river... I'm all smiles. Smallmouth fishing St. Clair, Erie, Lake Michigan... those toads can fight til the death. Early summer pike fishing with Mepps... gets the blood pumping for sure! Muskies, well haven't targeted them yet, but hopefully a new friendship will get me an opportunity for one of those MONSTERS... and I bet I love it too!
I've been very fortunate to fish with some of the best, and each one asked the same question "what is it with", and some find out the answer is "its the best fish that swims", and of course it's different for each person. I've had the pleasure of taking folks out, and watching them become addicted to crappies, and it really seems easy to do, so maybe you just haven't had the right experience, or it's possible it's just not for you!

Lastly, I have to agree with Graham as well, I don't think your doing something right went cooking crappie.  People who know me, know I eat fish three times a week, and my best test subjects is people who don't know a crappie from a pike.  When frying fish, nobody can taste the difference between crappie, gills, and perch... and to be honest I've failed the bling taste test many times... many times it comes down to the recipe and cook! My brother who is an awesome cook, barbarcue a catfish, and my wife and I thought it was chicken!  When baking I don't fail the blind taste test, and can even tell the difference from white and black crappie (I prefer blacks over whites). With that being said, I still fry maybe 10 times a year and bake the rest, and crappie make up the majority of the diet, and that's just fine with my wife, the kids, and everybody else that dines at my house!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline cmoore09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Maybe this was in an earlier post, but does anyone care to share their favorite recipes for Crappie and Bluegill? 

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Crappie r really  addictive! Trust me both to catch and eat!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:31 AM »
With that being said, I still fry maybe 10 times a year and bake the rest, and crappie make up the majority of the diet, and that's just fine with my wife, the kids, and everybody else that dines at my house!

Do you bread it when you bake it, Doug?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Do you bread it when you bake it, Doug?

I am also interested in seeing the recipe for this.  I give most/all my crappies I clean away and keep the gills for eating myself.  The crappie are just mushy when compared to gills no matter how I have cooked them.  I would be willing to give them another try if I find a different recipe. ......Paging Chef High Tide..... ;D

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Challenging at times to catch through the ice.  I usually take the fillets, roll them in flour, dip them in beaten eggs (the flour helps the egg stick to it), then roll them in italian seasoned bread crumbs (add your own spices to the bread crumbs to customize it), then fry them in a pan of your choice of oils until they brown, flip, then eat.  Simple and delicious.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline RairsDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • should have been here yesterday
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Once you go white you will fish more at night meat that is

Yeah Buddy!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.