Author Topic: musky tips?  (Read 5972 times)

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
Re: musky tips?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I was serious the day I started hunting. After  3 years I finally bagged my first fish and biggest to date. I've raised a few bigger fish but at 49.5" at could be tuff to top in Indiana waters. Let me know when you wanna get out.
I wanna go!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline kodiak88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I would love to try for musky through the ice, but what I really wanna do is target them out of my kayak. Ever since I have started kayak angling I have really gotten into the idea of extreme kayak angling. My hero is Jim Sammons. He has taken extreme kayak angling to the brink and back with some of the fish he's chased. I know I am crazy but for me a musky out of my kayak would be the pennicle (sp?) of my kayak angling cause the odds of me every chasing sails, marlin or giant bluefin are out of reality for me.
that would be fun been fishin from my yak every now and then also, caught a few decent pike out of it
“Many of you have in your veins Geman and Italian blood. But remember that these ancestors of yours so loved freedom that they gave up home and country to cross the ocean in search of liberty. The ancestors of the people we shall kill lacked the courage to make such a sacrifice and remained slaves.” — George S. Patton

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Ouch!! LOL

LOL....that was a joke of course, but for those 'preaching' to others about keeping a legal sized fish, are being a bit overzealous.  It is just a fish and they don't reproduce well here, so it is a put and take fishery.  You can't keep putting if no one is taking and still strike a balance for optimum growth.  If someone catches one and takes it home to eat or bury in the garden or give away, it is their right when they buy a license.  Musky are not a fish of 1000 casts around here unless you are throwing the wrong lures.  You can go to the barbee chain in the spring and early summer and almost always hook at least one when bass fishing.  Throw a rattle trap or large shallow running crank and you will get bit.  Happens all the time.  Even though not in IN, goto lake st clair in may for C&R bass and you will hook musky every day.  We had 7 in one day between two of us, again throwing bass lures.  The fish in webster and barbee seem like are so used to seeing musky lures, they key in on the smaller bass lures.  BTW, I turn everyone loose that I catch, I just don't get the God like worship of the musky.

Offline muskyjoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I was serious the day I started hunting. After  3 years I finally bagged my first fish and biggest to date. I've raised a few bigger fish but at 49.5" at could be tuff to top in Indiana waters. Let me know when you wanna get out.

Will do.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Will do.

Ditto!

I've gotten my share of calls from lake residents that find dead muskies floating and want to know if they can get it mounted.  Most likely it was a musky purist that patted himself on the back for releasing the fish.  ::)
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:25 PM »
No tips here especially if you mention keeping one of the most elusive fish in the water. Strictly  100% CPR (catch picture release). I work very hard every year on the soft water to catch the few that I do. It's not called the fish of 10,000 casts of no reason. I strongly urge you to please release all muskies you catch. At 36" the fish is to big to taste any good.

I aggree.

If you want to catch big fish to eat in Indiana. And don't want to spend all week trying to catch just one musky. Then go fishing for snake Pike. Snake is just a phrase for the small ones 20" and under. The sm ones are good to eat and I don't know of a length limit in Indiana. Now if you catch a big one I hope its also released, those big pike aren't much good to eat either.

Pike are just as fun to catch as a Musky, and there are allot more of them. WHY? Pike spawn before Musky and if both are in the same water the Pike fingerlings will eat the Musky fingerlings because they get a jump on growth being hatched sooner.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »
nice post, i never really was all that serious about eating them until all the CR musky people jumped on me about CR before i even said anything about keeping them......

Hmmm. I assume you are talking about me. Please go read all the post made before you said anything about keeping  one. I don't see anywhere, where someone jumped all over you before you talked about keeping one, but you did get defensive. Here is what I said before you talked about keeping one.

my 1st post, "Just one request. Please release if you catch one."
my 2nd post, "Thats the main reason I would never post any tips."

But your next post you jumped on me, " haha don't act like you bought them all and they all belong to you...by the way can i make a request for people to stop shooting coyotes and mature deer

Bottom line.
I ask that you or anyone else please release all Muskys. "I ask", I didn't jump up and down screaming and telling you to release. Anyone with a legal license who catch a legal Musky has the right to keep it and I am not going to yell at anyone for doing that. But I will nicely ask for a release.

I gurantee if you catch and keep a Musky to eat, you will be sadly disappointed. It would be like eating a 10-15 lb L. Bass, no good. Better off leaving then in the water for breeding stock.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:55 PM »

If you want to catch big fish to eat in Indiana. And don't want to spend all week trying to catch just one musky. Then go fishing for snake Pike. Snake is just a phrase for the small ones 20" and under. The sm ones are good to eat and I don't know of a length limit in Indiana. Now if you catch a big one I hope its also released, those big pike aren't much good to eat either.

There is a 20" minimum size limit on pike in Indiana

I gurantee if you catch and keep a Musky to eat, you will be sadly disappointed. It would be like eating a 10-15 lb L. Bass, no good. Better off leaving then in the water for breeding stock.

Muskie will not reproduce in the inland lakes in Indiana.  So there is no breeding stock.  That is why all these fish are stocked by DNR and musky clubs.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Ditto!

I've gotten my share of called from lake residents that find dead muskies floating and want to know if they can get it mounted.  Most likely it was a musky purist that patted himself on the back for releasing a fish.  ::)

Or could be from uneducated people fishing them at high water tems or guys targeting them on the ice and miss handeling or from people who dont have a clue and kill the fish by keeping it out of the water to long, useing light tackle or not having the proper landing/release tools.... Never keep any fish you plan to release any longer than you can hold your breath....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Muskie will not reproduce in the inland lakes in Indiana.  So there is no breeding stock.  That is why all these fish are stocked by DNR and musky clubs.

And where do you think the stocked fish come from???  Answer the verry fish already in the system, netted milked and released....

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:00 PM »
And where do you think the stocked fish come from???  Answer the verry fish already in the system, netted milked and released....

A lot of these fish that are stocked are bought and released from what I have been told.  May be hearsay, but just what I have heard.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Then go fishing for snake Pike. Snake is just a phrase for the small ones 20" and under. The sm ones are good to eat and I don't know of a length limit in Indiana.

Wow......but not surprised.....FYI there is a length limit on pike in indiana and has been for as many years as I remember....it is 20" with a 3 fish possession limit.  Pike are great to eat and a 20 inch pike has very little meat on it.  You are better off throwing them back and keeping one larger one than 3 hammer handles.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:46 AM »
Ditto!

I've gotten my share of called from lake residents that find dead muskies floating and want to know if they can get it mounted.  Most likely it was a musky purist that patted himself on the back for releasing a fish.  ::)

Ok, I dont' know or have not seen this first hand, just what I have heard. If I did see it 1st hand I would immediately report to the DNR.

I have had people tell me that they have seen or know of non musky fisherman who catch any Musky(legal or not legal), cut their gill latch or knock them in the head, then throw back into the water. They do this because they feel Musky have ruined their Bass, crappie, or gill lake and want to rid the lake of Musky. The one lake I was told this about was bruce lake. I believe in karma, and anyone doing this, eventually they will get reported or caught.

Like I said, I have not seen this but I would bet the farm it happens, which is sad.

BTW, I was a taxidermist for 20 yrs. And if a fish floats in warm waters long enough if is unmountable.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:57 AM »
Then go fishing for snake Pike. Snake is just a phrase for the small ones 20" and under. The sm ones are good to eat and I don't know of a length limit in Indiana.

Wow......but not surprised.....FYI there is a length limit on pike in indiana and has been for as many years as I remember....it is 20" with a 3 fish possession limit.  Pike are great to eat and a 20 inch pike has very little meat on it.  You are better off throwing them back and keeping one larger one than 3 hammer handles.

Enough is enough, a person can only take so much, so I have to ask.
Ever since that "Trash" thread you get on my case when every you can, Why?

FYI I have never fished for Pike in Indiana, I really didn't think there was a size limit. I am sorry if I posted any wrong info, now do you feel better, does making fun of or knocking others down make you feel superior? I take it you r always right, never wrong or willing to admit you r wrong about anything. I do, thats what a real man does. Some think you are the resident Mr. Perfect and know it all in here, I consider you the resident bully, anyone who disaggrees with you gets your wrath.

If I get bared from here, so be it. Enough is enough I'm tired of your little digs every chance you get, I had to say something. I'm not the first and will not be the last person in here you come down on. I guess since you are superman in here they let you get away with it.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Enough is enough, a person can only take so much, so I have to ask.
Ever since that "Trash" thread you get on my case when every you can, Why?

FYI I have never fished for Pike in Indiana, I really didn't think there was a size limit. I am sorry if I posted any wrong info, now do you feel better, does making fun of or knocking others down make you feel superior? I take it you r always right, never wrong or willing to admit you r wrong about anything. I do, thats what a real man does. Some think you are the resident Mr. Perfect and know it all in here, I consider you the resident bully, anyone who disaggrees with you gets your wrath.

If I get bared from here, so be it. Enough is enough I'm tired of your little digs every chance you get, I had to say something. I'm not the first and will not be the last person in here you come down on. I guess since you are superman in here they let you get away with it.

I am not on your case, I simply corrected your bad information.  You told people to keep pike because there was not size limit on them.  I just corrected the bad info with the corret info so someone doesn't read that, keep a sub legal fish and get busted for it.  No reason to get your panties in a ruffle.  I would expect someone that has been fishing for 50 years and been a taxidermist for 20, you would know the size limit on a pike, but I was obviously wrong (holy cow I admitted it!!   ::)  I guess I am now a man!! :clap:).  Everyone should read the regs every year as they do make changes to size and possession limits. 

I am wrong quite often and when I am I admit it  (see above), but I don't throw a tantrum in the process. 

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:04 AM »
I have only been musky fishing once(years ago), and i landed a 43" on about my 10th cast out of Loon lake.  I released it, but i wish i would have kept it and had it mounted.  I have been preaching catch and release my whole life for Indiana Steelhead; it's a lost cause.  With the amount of gills, crappie, & bass slaughtered by people on here, i was surprised to see all of the C&R folks come out and speak up.

Offline imob34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:10 AM »
I have only been musky fishing once(years ago), and i landed a 43" on about my 10th cast out of Loon lake.  I released it, but i wish i would have kept it and had it mounted. 

If you have a decent picture you can get a replica for about the same price as a skin mount , check out lax www.laxreproduction.co m & Fittante www.fittantereplicas.c om  they are the top in the business and a lot of local taxidermist do great replicas also

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:09 PM »
some links better than others i guess. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kodiak88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I have only been musky fishing once(years ago), and i landed a 43" on about my 10th cast out of Loon lake.  I released it, but i wish i would have kept it and had it mounted.  I have been preaching catch and release my whole life for Indiana Steelhead; it's a lost cause.  With the amount of gills, crappie, & bass slaughtered by people on here, i was surprised to see all of the C&R folks come out and speak up.
remember c r only applys to fish you  "YOU" care about
“Many of you have in your veins Geman and Italian blood. But remember that these ancestors of yours so loved freedom that they gave up home and country to cross the ocean in search of liberty. The ancestors of the people we shall kill lacked the courage to make such a sacrifice and remained slaves.” — George S. Patton

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:01 AM »

BTW, I was a taxidermist for 20 yrs. And if a fish floats in warm waters long enough if is unmountable.

True as one that came to me had maggots on it.

I don't know about people killing them and throwing them back but it would not surprise me.  I've heard people do that with the trout in some of the lakes where they are planted. Lots of ignorant people out there that want to have an excuse for their bad fishing skills.

My point was for those that think all fish that are released survive just because they swim away is wishful thinking from my experience raising fish in four ponds and three recirculating systems. I've really become educated on how sensitive fish really are and how easily they can develop bacterial and fungal issues just by handling them. I.e. bass are very prone to fungal issues if handled in water under 50 F. There's a small minority that just don't make it no matter how careful you are.

Don't get me wrong I'm for catch and release  just like the next guy (I get more per inch for replicas and do replicas 50 inches or over  just for the cost of the blank for a local musky guide), and do believe most of these fish should be released. But to come up to a boat of angler that has just caught one and chastise him for keeping a legal fish is just plain wrong in my book.

BTW here's one that was kept recently in New York that was caught icefishing:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,330322.0/topicseen.html

Didn't the INDNR completely take over the planting of musky here in Indiana? Broodfish are trapped to produce the fish now right? None are purchased anymore by clubs?

BTW is your name Jerry by any chance and did you come to the AIT shows back when you were a taxidermist? I think I remember you. I was impressed by your work.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 AM »
I know i can look this question up but since we're on the subject. Is the daily limit 1 and possesion twice the daily. Don't know why anyone would every have more than one at a time to eat since a fish of legal size makes several meals usually. They are good pickled. KPE but only one at a time.

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:46 PM »
thats 3 a day, 6 in possession.
got grease?

Offline ho-zee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:01 PM »
pike are 3 a day but muskies are 1 a day

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies. It's apparent to me that i will need to look it up in regs. Always do anyway just wanted to see how long different info on question would take. Sorry if it seems i hi jacked this thread but i might share my go to method for catching these monsters Very much like tip up fishing with a lot more excitement and a lot more time to enjoy this technique.

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:12 PM »
True as one that came to me had maggots on it.

I don't know about people killing them and throwing them back but it would not surprise me.  I've heard people do that with the trout in some of the lakes where they are planted. Lots of ignorant people out there that want to have an excuse for their bad fishing skills.

My point was for those that think all fish that are released survive just because they swim away is wishful thinking from my experience raising fish in four ponds and three recirculating systems. I've really become educated on how sensitive fish really are and how easily they can develop bacterial and fungal issues just by handling them. I.e. bass are very prone to fungal issues if handled in water under 50 F. There's a small minority that just don't make it no matter how careful you are.

Don't get me wrong I'm for catch and release  just like the next guy (I get more per inch for replicas and do replicas 50 inches or over  just for the cost of the blank for a local musky guide), and do believe most of these fish should be released. But to come up to a boat of angler that has just caught one and chastise him for keeping a legal fish is just plain wrong in my book.

BTW here's one that was kept recently in New York that was caught icefishing:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,330322.0/topicseen.html

Didn't the INDNR completely take over the planting of musky here in Indiana? Broodfish are trapped to produce the fish now right? None are purchased anymore by clubs?

BTW is your name Jerry by any chance and did you come to the AIT shows back when you were a taxidermist? I think I remember you. I was impressed by your work.

taxi, just to let you know on the stocking of Musky in Indiana waters. webster is the broodstock lake for the IDNR and those fish go to the hachery raised and then restocked into Indiana waters every fall.    the clubs still stock the lakes to. the Webster Lake Musky Club actually stocks 1 lake with fish and we are adding 2 more lakes in the fall of this year. there are  2 Muskie Inc chapters here in Indiana and both do stock and help the IDNR with funds for different things they need for the fish.. we are now working on having them minnow fed more before they are released, so they will be better off after they are stocked. the clubs would not be around if this was not happening.  so yes the clubs do stock fish too....bill

also Bigr i am a Indiana Musky Guide if you need any info or so forth let me know and i am always here to help out in anyway i can.. these fish are a blast as i have been chasing them for over 30+ years all over the country and i cant seem too get enough
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I got one of the little rice looking tags in a 39 incher I cleaned. Wouldnt have even known it was there except it fell out on the table .
I called the dnr place in col city and the lady said they would get back with me. Thats been bout 2 years ago now...guess they dont mind it missing.
My question is why dont they mark them and let people know that they are researching them and to let them know when they catch a tagged fish instead of being all secretive about it!!!

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:30 PM »
My buddy got a 51 incher a few years back on a tip up.
Best tip I can give you is 5 in gill or perch!!

Offline Awk5658

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 PM »
They need to quit sticking them in good lakes. 

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:51 PM »
90% of the time "they" "stick" them in lakes that are on the decline do to the invasive nature of gizzard shad and the way they out forage and out produce more desirable fish and dominate the population dymanics of a lake or reservoir. This coupled with the timing of a declining panfish and/or gamefish population reinforces the ignorant opinion that the stocked predator is consuming the desirable species that they were introduced to help. Let us not forget "they" are scientists. That's what they do.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:01 PM »
90% of the time "they" "stick" them in lakes that are on the decline do to the invasive nature of gizzard shad and the way they out forage and out produce more desirable fish and dominate the population dymanics of a lake or reservoir. This coupled with the timing of a declining panfish and/or gamefish population reinforces the ignorant opinion that the stocked predator is consuming the desirable species that they were introduced to help. Let us not forget "they" are scientists. That's what they do.

Agree...Musky have been studied extensively in lake st clair and those that are taken for research purposes or disected when found floating, rarely if every have perch, bass, gills, walleye or other desirable species in them.  They have alot of suckers, carp, and shad as the main forage.  I am sure they would eat desirable species if the other food sources were not present,  but they don't appear to target desired gamefish for food unless it is all they have available.  I don't think the DNR is sarificing gamefish lakes in Indiana so they can have a few Musky lakes around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.