Author Topic: HT's Top Ten!  (Read 6225 times)

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HT's Top Ten!
« Reply #90 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Paul,  I wanna know who the old guy is in smelly coveralls...??
One of those unique characters you meet on the ice, maybe by chance, maybe by fate? Not sure what that person is capable of while your standing on that foggy, icy night, with the stranger you just met!
Paul

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #91 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:19 PM »
One of those unique characters you meet on the ice, maybe by chance, maybe by fate? Not sure what that person is capable of while your standing on that foggy, icy night, with the stranger you just met!
Paul
This isn't out of a romance novel is it? :o lol
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #92 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Paul

;)  Gotcha.....Kinda like the guy in the movie Deliverance.....except colder? 
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #93 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:05 PM »
;)  Gotcha.....Kinda like the guy in the movie Deliverance.....except colder?

You sure got a purdy rod there!!  que the banjo music!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Thanks wax worm now there is an image in my head  I might not get rid of, its just not right
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Yea, you guys got it. Kind of a romance, deliverence and mulholland drive type thing all mixed up in ice fishing..I gotta get a new hobbie. No ice fishing and  beer make Paul go something, something!!!
Paul

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #96 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Excellent post there I appreciate the info thanks

Offline icepatrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:32 PM »
one question about fish migrations in lakes, i have fished a 300 plus acre lake for the past 11 years, this lake has a main body that splits into two fingers. I have found that almost every pan fish in the lake migrates to one finger, i'v fished most coves, both fingers, points and the main lake looking for spots that are not as pressured as this one finger.
the main lake will give up countless white bass, channel cats and an occasional crappie while every where else is dead except the one finger which will give up more gills n craps than you could imagine...any thought on why the fish seem to all migrate to the one finger?
both fingers are almost carbon copies of each other, both being fed by small creeks and virtualy the same structure and depth.

Offline getrofishback

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I think they are biting over there!-)
« Reply #98 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Great post that seem to spawned many more (kudos to the Ice shanty Militia).  I have been on and off this site over the years and most people don't have a problem posting what they caught but have a problem explanning how they caught them. Having the thought process to even come up with the idea to help people ice more fish on any lake is very commendable. Coming on to this site and learning "how" may be much more use full than "where". I can't drive to all the lakes posted on this forum but if I can learn how to catch more fish on the ones that are near my residence it would be great. Question to HT and his wrecking crew: when you go to a new lake how do you pick your first jig (color,size, shape and presentation).  Rule #14 bring a sippy cup;as you never know when some one on the ice may need it!Rule #15 if you want to post pictures of your catch on IceShanty leave out the "where" and insert the "how"!

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #99 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Paul,  I wanna know who the old guy is in smelly coveralls...??

I am going to wash my coveralls.  At least they do smell like fish !

HHD

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #100 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Rule #15 if you want to post pictures of your catch on IceShanty leave out the "where" and insert the "how"!

Right on!   The whole "double top secret spot" has come up for me a lot the last 2 years.  It's a PIA!  I met a guy recently here on IceShanty....offered to take me to a "honey hole".....I said "that's cool of you but not really necessary... but I would like to learn more about the fish you are catching...then I will find my own spots."  He proceeded to tell me a lot of info that was more valuable than his "spot".
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:02 PM »
one question about fish migrations in lakes, i have fished a 300 plus acre lake for the past 11 years, this lake has a main body that splits into two fingers. I have found that almost every pan fish in the lake migrates to one finger, i'v fished most coves, both fingers, points and the main lake looking for spots that are not as pressured as this one finger.
the main lake will give up countless white bass, channel cats and an occasional crappie while every where else is dead except the one finger which will give up more gills n craps than you could imagine...any thought on why the fish seem to all migrate to the one finger?
both fingers are almost carbon copies of each other, both being fed by small creeks and virtualy the same structure and depth.
I have run into this scenario many times myself, and usually the answer is in water temperature.  The finger itself may look the same in contour, length, etc., but I find the water running through it much different.  It all starts in the creek, so I google earth the creek and see if the water color is different, and usually the dirty side holds more fish, because the murky water heats up faster in the sun.  Murky water also gives the crappies and gills more camo to ambush their pray.  Lastly, murkier water usually holds more nutrients, which makes for healthier prey, and healthier target fish.  Have you considered looking at the temp gauge when you’re traveling up both creeks? 1 or 2 degrees can mean everything.  However, it could also be the bottom of the lake. If one finger has a darker bottom (more silt) it will heat up faster regardless of the water color, and usually holds more insects than sandier bottoms.  Lastly, if one finger has more creek channel bend or slightly faster drops it will also make a bigger difference.  Those are the factors I consider first, and I hope others can add their input.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline wjr1244

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:04 PM »
This has been one informative thread.  Thanks HT

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Great post that seem to spawned many more (kudos to the Ice shanty Militia).  I have been on and off this site over the years and most people don't have a problem posting what they caught but have a problem explanning how they caught them. Having the thought process to even come up with the idea to help people ice more fish on any lake is very commendable. Coming on to this site and learning "how" may be much more use full than "where". I can't drive to all the lakes posted on this forum but if I can learn how to catch more fish on the ones that are near my residence it would be great. Question to HT and his wrecking crew: when you go to a new lake how do you pick your first jig (color,size, shape and presentation).  Rule #14 bring a sippy cup;as you never know when some one on the ice may need it!Rule #15 if you want to post pictures of your catch on IceShanty leave out the "where" and insert the "how"!
This is my favorite post to the thread! I couldn't have said it better! I don't mind seeing a pile of fish (I use to do it often), however, what is it good for except a fish survey!  ;D Show the fish and add what you caught them on, and I'm a happy camper. If you want to add depth and time, now I can cross-reference with my day... but one thing I can care less about is what lake.  I prefer guys keep that on the down low, because all the internet fisherman will abuse the resource if you give them a chance (not all guys are bad, but it only takes a few bad apples). 
In reference to your question about how to pick a jig, it all starts with water color. If the water is murky, I go with orange, red, black, olive.  If the water is clear, I go with green, brown, yellow, black, and copper.  Size depends on wind, and time of year. If its windy, I go heavier, if its early season I go big, and get smaller as the season progress, until late ice, then I got big again. Presentation, I jig like mad early ice, and calm down as the season progresses.  Normally  ;D.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline river rat 70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Thanx HT!!!!  I appreciate the info.  May the fishing gods smile upon u this season  :)

Offline icepatrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the info, your right on the water clairity, one finger is fed by one creek while the other finger is fed by two creeks that tie together before entering the lake...but one of those creeks flows much darker water for some reason. il have to take a thermometer out some time and look into the temps on both fingers to satisfy my curiosity.
one last question to any one on the white bass, in years past i have caught white bass from our lake, but once they hit the boat or ice they puke up wads of tiny, what look like red worms only much smaller in diameter...any one else ever experience this? and what the heck are they? it seems like after you catch one fish, the graph or vex lights up like a christmas tree as the fish go into a feeding frenzie.

thanks for the post and reply...awsome site with some very informative people.

time to go fish!

andy.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:13 AM »
bloodworms

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 05, 2013, 05:01 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum