Author Topic: HT's Top Ten!  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HT's Top Ten!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:28 PM »
your ego IS the size of a small sports stadium!
Jk...couldn't resist!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Once again egos and pattin yourself on the chest prevail.  This thread is just about your ego.  I have met you and you are willing to share if it meets your needs.  Now all I see from you is marketing and just enough to tempt a person into your needs.  For all the rest of us it is homework and research.  You get into a group of guys that have done that and share each others knowledge and think your above the rest.

It is obvious you have an issue with HT.  Why don't you take it up with him in person instead of being a richard head toward him on here and attempting to sabotage a good thread.    ???  Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:29 PM »
I'm glad you brought that up, because we just had a discussion about line. I use sewing thread, and guys were debating brands, and I like Singer and Stitch Thru which are .004 in diameter, but Coats and Clark was getting the high praise, so I bought a spool. Well it does a great job, and it's made in the USA, but for the record it's .005 in diameter so of course it's stronger!
LOL we flopped.  I was set on the coates and clark and have used it for probably 6 years.  You were set on the singer after I had horrible luck with it last year.  I figured I got a bad spool and found another spool last night so lined up with the singer.  Now you have switched to my brand.  Everywhere that I have checked for C&C has been out but I have seen bintag facings for both .004 and .005.  Wondering if the .004 would break too easy.  Here's to hoping that I got a bad spool of singer before and that the new stuff is better than what I had tried before.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Spring bobber when have you ever been on my boat when I didnt have 16 rods with us.............NEVER.  Having 3 bucketfulls of rods on the ice is half the fun.  I just put new line, couple new reels, and a few new spring bobbers on these rods last night and that is just for my 1st bucket.  Look for the guy on the ice with the Alabama hat on and 3 buckets with 6 foot rods like these and come say hi ;D I wont bite but I may holler ROLL TIDE.(Image removed from quote.)

Nice arsenal ya got there

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:31 PM »
Pretty soon you will push a bait in a subtle way to please your sponsors just like crappie.com.
Hey all I'm sponsored by Bobby Garland, Power-pole, and Crappie Pro so if I mention those products don't take my word on it. Please... Rairdog, does that make you happy now???
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Hey all I'm sponsored by Bobby Garland, Power-pole, and Crappie Pro so if I mention those products don't take my word on it. Please... Rairdog, does that make you happy now???

I know its hard not to fire back, however take the high road on this one.  Dont let him bait ya into a peeing contest.....

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Its a great thread, made me think!!  How do you tie a loop knot??

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:35 PM »
LOL, richard head.  I agree on the PM thing.  If you want to bash somebody do it through PM.  When I was starting out I would have loved to read this.  If you are just learning he gave several good tips to put more fish on the ice.  I never read anything about sponsors but maybe I just looked past that part ::)

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Its a great thread, made me think!!  How do you tie a loop knot??
Now you have me thinking.  I tie the same knot no matter what kind of jig or icefly I'm using.  How many of you guys tie diff. knots for diff. kinds of lures?

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:42 PM »
I know its hard not to fire back, however take the high road on this one.  Dont let him bait ya into a peeing contest.....

X2

This is a great post that a lot of people can learn from .(new to the sport or not ) I think we need to keep this on the intended track for everybody  .

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:45 PM »
Now you have me thinking.  I tie the same knot no matter what kind of jig or icefly I'm using.  How many of you guys tie diff. knots for diff. kinds of lures?

I use a clinch knot, always have   tried a polamar a few times but always go back to clinch

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:53 PM »
When fishing a horizontal presentation if you use a loop knot (you will have to you tube for instructions) the jig will hang horizontal on its own (without pulling the knot back). When your using a vertical jig the standard knot is all you need.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:55 PM »
I use the clinch knot most of the time but I do use a loop knot from time to time . This is the one that I use when I do it is the double surgeon's knot that fiskas puts on the back of the packages

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:57 PM »
what if I want to fish diagonal?
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:07 PM »

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:10 PM »
I use the clinch knot most of the time but I do use a loop knot from time to time . This is the one that I use when I do it is the double surgeon's knot that fiskas puts on the back of the packages

(Image removed from quote.)
I use this knot to! It's just as good as the loop, no doubt!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:16 PM »
High Tide,

I could see how a loop knot like that would work in a situation where all of the weight is below the eye like a marmooska, but, in your experience, does it work well for a fly, where the weight is distributed down the shaft? It seems that a tight palomar knot pulled towards the hook would be better in that situation.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:21 PM »
palomar knot with a front end eye for sure

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Since it appears that there will be an ice season, I decided to go against the grain and help my fellow Indiana anglers.  You may ask why I’m so hesitant, and the answer is simple, because when you post information online, you not only help good people, you also help those who waste, abuse, poach, trash and don’t have respect for what many of us hold at the highest regard (if you are one of those bad seeds… follow Mike Ditka’s advice and “STOP IT”).  For those good guys, here are a few tips to consider, that will help you ice more fish, so you can enjoy a nice fry with your family:
1.   If you jig is designed to fish horizontal, then make sure it fishes horizontal. Learning how to tie a loop knot will help, or pull your line back to the hook.  I do after EVERY bite. If your lazy, use a vertical fishing jig.
2.   Avoid line memory. The fish bite light in the cold weather, and if your line is coiled I promise you, your missing fish.
3.   Try being as quite as possible. Noise kills the bite. I even try to get to the spot before light, drill all my holes before I fish, and hole hop afterwards. No drilling, no noise. That is a big reason I try to find non-pressured fish. Big fish are smart fish.
4.   If you’re fishing shallow, throw slush or snow in the hole to decrease light and movement from the topside.
5.   Three poles doesn’t usually equate to more fish. Have one good rod, jig or pound the p*ss out of it, and if you’re not catching fish… keep changing your jig.
6.   Find fish before you go fishing! Too many guys follow other guys, and miss awesome bites all over the same lake.  Points, drops, weed lines, structure, bottom   transitions all hold fish, and are all over the lake… research and reap the rewards!
7.   Take a kid ice fishing (when safe)!
8.   Pay attention to barometric pressure… if it’s high (over 30.02), expect a tough bite if it’s not steady (so probably not the best time to take a kid fishing)…LOL
9.   Drop your jig in the water and see if it’s spinning… if it is, you’re not going to catch fish…!
10.   SAFETY FIRST!! Ropes, picks, buddy, floating device, electronic keys in a zip lock, extra set of cloths in the vehicle, spud, etc.

Good fishing and good luck fellas!!
god says you should help everyone and feel sorry and try to help the others for not understanding

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:39 PM »
High Tide,

I could see how a loop knot like that would work in a situation where all of the weight is below the eye like a marmooska, but, in your experience, does it work well for a fly, where the weight is distributed down the shaft? It seems that a tight palomar knot pulled towards the hook would be better in that situation.
You are 100%, palomar knot all the way... It's an odd situation because the fly wasn't necessary designed to fish horizontal, we just tweak it to do so... Which is why I bend the hook eye to a full 90%.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:40 PM »
god says you should help everyone and feel sorry and try to help the others for not understanding
Nice quote!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:46 PM »
bump
Gator Nation

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:45 PM »
TTT

Offline K.V.D.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2013, 03:06 PM »
great tips..   This thread is a great one for a guy who only gets on the ice a few times a year...   Thanks.
K.V.D. of Westwood..

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:00 PM »
You're welcome fellas! It was fun to talk fishing yesterday, as oppose to "trash"  ;D.  I will forever be a student of the game, and one of my favorite things about fishing is learning something new like Phil said, and advance after every trip both in life and technique. It is important to note that fishing has a different meaning to everybody, and when somebody takes it seriously, they might not make the best company but can be good guys to hang with after the trip! Just like a scratch golfer playing with a guy who shoots a 100. Life lessons are just as important, I'll be fishing with my daughter and the frustration level sky rockets when she doesn't listen, but then I realize she's only 8 and would have whipped me at that age, and at the end of the day I look in the mirror and see that I need to work on my own issues.  I don't have the all the answers, but have spent a ton of time on the water, so if you ever have a question... shoot me a PM, and I'll help if I can.

Life is short, so make the most of it!

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:20 PM »
You're welcome fellas! It was fun to talk fishing yesterday, as oppose to "trash"  ;D.  I will forever be a student of the game, and one of my favorite things about fishing is learning something new like Phil said, and advance after every trip both in life and technique. It is important to note that fishing has a different meaning to everybody, and when somebody takes it seriously, they might not make the best company but can be good guys to hang with after the trip! Just like a scratch golfer playing with a guy who shoots a 100. Life lessons are just as important, I'll be fishing with my daughter and the frustration level sky rockets when she doesn't listen, but then I realize she's only 8 and would have whipped me at that age, and at the end of the day I look in the mirror and see that I need to work on my own issues.  I don't have the all the answers, but have spent a ton of time on the water, so if you ever have a question... shoot me a PM, and I'll help if I can.

AMEN BRUTHRA

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Great thread,and thanks for all the info. Wish i had something to add but seems much of what i have learned from my dad and other guys was covered. God willing,and guys willing to show me different things I will learn alot more on this great sport.  :thumbsup:

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:31 PM »

I'm not gonna give ya any more crap. lol. Very nice finish to a very nice topic...
Paul

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Doug, dont know ya that well.  I try to look in the mirror everyday myself, sometimes I dont like what I see....I whole-heartedly think that what you put up there is one of the best posts I have ever read on any site from an honest man.  Just keep doing what you are doing man, that's what it is all about.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:56 PM »
HT you talk too much. Your gonna get a visit from some old guy in smelly coveralls, . with a goofy eye. You know whats coming....
Paul

Paul,  I wanna know who the old guy is in smelly coveralls...??
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.