Author Topic: HT's Top Ten!  (Read 6218 times)

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HT's Top Ten!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Is he gonna give me a high five?  ???
Heck, I don't know what he's gonna do? I haven' t pissed him off.lmao
 Paul

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Doug, these guys talk like they know you with all the high tide praise, man you been holding out on me (LOL) OK I did see ya with a perch once.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Doug, these guys talk like they know you with all the high tide praise, man you been holding out on me (LOL) OK I did see ya with a perch once.

He's gettin better....I saw him with 5 or 6 perch one day...;D
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Doug, Excellent post!
But one point you made I would like to elaborate if you don’t mind.  You stated it’s important to cover as much water as you can.  One of the things I do before I hit a body of water is study maps and look for those features you mentioned “Points, drops, weed lines, structure, and bottom   transitions etc.”  I will do this every time I go even if I have been to a particular lake many times before.  Why you may ask????  Because most fish species will make seasonal movements under the ice.  Fish generally will be in shallow water at first ice and move deeper when winter really sets in and when late ice happens them fish will move back to shallow at late ice.  What action causes these movements?  One is food, green weeds in early ice period draws bait fish and those weeds produce oxygen (action 2).  And the third action is cover. As we move into the middle of winter that food chain will seek warmer water and oxygen.  Both of these will occurrences will happen in deeper water.   Sometimes you just need to think like a fish. LOL
So my point to go along with what Doug stated is you need to move and I mean no more than 5-10 minutes per hole.  Nothing happen after that time move on.  But have a plan and understand what phase of the ice season you are fishing.
As you know I have been fishing for over 50 years but one thing more thing I like to add is I try to make a point to learn something new every time I hit the ice.  It may be something I learn from someone else, or something I happen to stumbled across.   
Thanks again Doug!  I’ll see you soon!
  BTW I saw Doug with a pile of big perch ;)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:16 PM »
You forgot:
-Have buddies, that can put you on top of jumbo's, in the speed dial memory ;D
Lord knows I do!!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:20 PM »
You forgot:
-Have buddies that can put you on top of jumbo's, in the speed dial memory ;D
Lord knows I do!!
Ain't that the truth ;)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Doug, Excellent post!
But one point you made I would like to elaborate if you don’t mind.  You stated it’s important to cover as much water as you can.  One of the things I do before I hit a body of water is study maps and look for those features you mentioned “Points, drops, weed lines, structure, and bottom   transitions etc.”  I will do this every time I go even if I have been to a particular lake many times before.  Why you may ask????  Because most fish species will make seasonal movements under the ice.  Fish generally will be in shallow water at first ice and move deeper when winter really sets in and when late ice happens them fish will move back to shallow at late ice.  What action causes these movements?  One is food, green weeds in early ice period draws bait fish and those weeds produce oxygen (action 2).  And the third action is cover. As we move into the middle of winter that food chain will seek warmer water and oxygen.  Both of these will occurrences will happen in deeper water.   Sometimes you just need to think like a fish. LOL
So my point to go along with what Doug stated is you need to move and I mean no more than 5-10 minutes per hole.  Nothing happen after that time move on.  But have a plan and understand what phase of the ice season you are fishing.
As you know I have been fishing for over 50 years but one thing more thing I like to add is I try to make a point to learn something new every time I hit the ice.  It may be something I learn from someone else, or something I happen to stumbled across.   
Thanks again Doug!  I’ll see you soon!
  BTW I saw Doug with a pile of big perch ;)
Yes sir... Fish movement is huge, and that movement is what separates the men from the boys. Learning lakes all over again is good policy to stay ahead of high pressure lakes, because fish move to areas unsuspected to escape the pressure, but still seek prime living conditions. I wasn't going to get that advanced though... ;D Phil, after you spend 50 years fishing, you're ready for the book "Crappie Wisdom", if you haven't read it already. I'm reading it now, and it's a whole new level! FYI, when you and Bret saw me on the ice with a pile of perch, that was after 5 straight days... So my average is still 1 per day!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:26 PM »
You forgot:
-Have buddies, that can put you on top of jumbo's, in the speed dial memory ;D
Lord knows I do!!
We have a new #1!!!  ;D

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Yes sir... Fish movement is huge, and that movement is what separates the men from the boys. Learning lakes all over again is good policy to stay ahead of high pressure lakes, because fish move to areas unsuspected to escape the pressure, but still seek prime living conditions. I wasn't going to get that advanced though... ;D Phil, after you spend 50 years fishing, you're ready for the book "Crappie Wisdom", if you haven't read it already. I'm reading it now, and it's a whole new level! FYI, when you and Bret saw me on the ice with a pile of perch, that was after 5 straight days... So my average is still 1 per day!
That explains why a couple of them had no color left.  How they tasted??? Hot Sauce????

I told you I have never chased crappies and at this age I ain't starting LOL

That Marc aways has the winning quote...Agree "new #1"

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Phil, the book is good intel for all species just "makes you think like a fish" no doubt!

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Awesome post, I started fishing solo and had to learn the hard way with many trips catching few if any fish.  Forgot what # we are on but another one is "a little respect can go a looooong ways on the ice"  Respect the lake and the others around you while fishing.  Fishing is my "relaxation time" and I can get fired up in a hurry if others cant respect you.  Just as HighTide said I usually get to my spot and drill 5-6 holes and clear them out before I even grab a rod.  This way I can make less noise later when I'm actually fishing, this way if one hole dies off you can move a few feet and probably find the fish that just left your hot hole.  Dont go fish next to a guy if he is getting fish right away and dont fish in one of the holes he just drilled before he gets to fish out of that hole.  I know you can only fish 1 hole at a time but use common sense.  Many times on the ice if I'm leaving and pass a guy who saw me catching fish but did not move I will stop and talk to him if I pass him on my way out.  I will tell him to go fish where I was at and usually tell them what depth the fish were at.  Many a times I have even gave someone a jig/fly that was working well for me.  There are tons of fish in lakes and helping others out who respected you is a nice way to give back, afterall we are all out there to catch a few fish.  On the other hand the guy who races over when he sees you catching fish and fishes in one of my holes only a few feet away will get no info if I'm nice, if I'm not in the greatest mood they may get an earfull.  Fish never stay in the same place all day.  They move around, so find a pattern, depth, jig color, jigging motion that seems to work and move around with the fish but use common sense.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Awesome post, I started fishing solo and had to learn the hard way with many trips catching few if any fish.  Forgot what # we are on but another one is "a little respect can go a looooong ways on the ice"  Respect the lake and the others around you while fishing.  Fishing is my "relaxation time" and I can get fired up in a hurry if others cant respect you.  Just as HighTide said I usually get to my spot and drill 5-6 holes and clear them out before I even grab a rod.  This way I can make less noise later when I'm actually fishing, this way if one hole dies off you can move a few feet and probably find the fish that just left your hot hole.  Dont go fish next to a guy if he is getting fish right away and dont fish in one of the holes he just drilled before he gets to fish out of that hole.  I know you can only fish 1 hole at a time but use common sense.  Many times on the ice if I'm leaving and pass a guy who saw me catching fish but did not move I will stop and talk to him if I pass him on my way out.  I will tell him to go fish where I was at and usually tell them what depth the fish were at.  Many a times I have even gave someone a jig/fly that was working well for me.  There are tons of fish in lakes and helping others out who respected you is a nice way to give back, afterall we are all out there to catch a few fish.  On the other hand the guy who races over when he sees you catching fish and fishes in one of my holes only a few feet away will get no info if I'm nice, if I'm not in the greatest mood they may get an earfull.  Fish never stay in the same place all day.  They move around, so find a pattern, depth, jig color, jigging motion that seems to work and move around with the fish but use common sense.
Okay, here what I'll say about this... FK83 is very right, however disregard all the fish etiquette if the guy has an Alabama hat on... Instead. Download the Notre Dame fight song, turn it up very loud, march around his holes until he leaves then spray down the area with decontaminates!

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #42 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Great post!!!
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:00 PM »
And probably most important of all is HAVE FUN! I've had some good days on the ice where not much is caught, but have laughed so much I can barely breath.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Thanks for the post. Being a relatively new ice fisherman I'm always looking to learn new tips.  Whats your take on line weight.  I outfished my neighbor tonight using 1 lb line.  It's a pain to deal with tangles and always worried about breaking off, but generally I like to stay as light as possible

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Okay, here what I'll say about this... FK83 is very right, however disregard all the fish etiquette if the guy has an Alabama hat on... Instead. Download the Notre Dame fight song, turn it up very loud, march around his holes until he leaves then spray down the area with decontaminates!
Hopefully the guys who are playing the fight song have better success than the players who have been listening to the same song for the past 24 years with limited success.  On the other hand if the ND fishermen came chasing the BAMA fishermen then its just like real life.  Follow me fellas and I can lead you to a place you have only dreamed aboug going :roflmao:

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:05 PM »
True dat Springbobber, make the good ole days tomorrow! You have your gear at school?

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:09 PM »
High Tide I'm not sure if I meet you or Jigmup or maybe it was both of you guys last year on Lake X. Next time I'll have to tackle ya in the snow for that comment about the fight song.  Dont make me start posting pictures of me on the ice with my BAMA gear.  I started wearing other hats on the ice to be in stealth mode.  I always have the hat in my pocket though to put on the ice next to my picture when I'm done.  Ive been really busy lately and just got my gear ready last night.  I'm hoping that sometime this weekend I will be able to post my 1st 2013 picture of some iced fish with a wonderful BAMA hat next to it.  Blueultra2 is already looking forward to us getting some pictures of us on the ice with our BAMA/ND gear on. 

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:11 PM »
True dat Springbobber, make the good ole days tomorrow! You have your gear at school?

I'm still at home, but yeah, I could bring some of my stuff down to school. Unlike wax_worm, I can manage with only a few rods, not 22  ;D

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Thanks for the post. Being a relatively new ice fisherman I'm always looking to learn new tips.  Whats your take on line weight.  I outfished my neighbor tonight using 1 lb line.  It's a pain to deal with tangles and always worried about breaking off, but generally I like to stay as light as possible
I'm glad you brought that up, because we just had a discussion about line. I use sewing thread, and guys were debating brands, and I like Singer and Stitch Thru which are .004 in diameter, but Coats and Clark was getting the high praise, so I bought a spool. Well it does a great job, and it's made in the USA, but for the record it's .005 in diameter so of course it's stronger!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:16 PM »
whoa.....heavy

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I'm glad you brought that up, because we just had a discussion about line. I use sewing thread, and guys were debating brands, and I like Singer and Stitch Thru which are .004 in diameter, but Coats and Clark was getting the high praise, so I bought a spool. Well it does a great job, and it's made in the USA, but for the record it's .005 in diameter so of course it's stronger!

Does it works good with your 30" Heavy HT rod?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:19 PM »

Coates and clark has an .004 too.   It is right beside the .005.  I prefer singer.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I'm still at home, but yeah, I could bring some of my stuff down to school. Unlike wax_worm, I can manage with only a few rods, not 22  ;D
Spring bobber when have you ever been on my boat when I didnt have 16 rods with us.............NEVER.  Having 3 bucketfulls of rods on the ice is half the fun.  I just put new line, couple new reels, and a few new spring bobbers on these rods last night and that is just for my 1st bucket.  Look for the guy on the ice with the Alabama hat on and 3 buckets with 6 foot rods like these and come say hi ;D I wont bite but I may holler ROLL TIDE.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:21 PM »
3.   Try being as quite as possible. Noise kills the bite. I even try to get to the spot before light, drill all my holes before I fish, and hole hop afterwards. No drilling, no noise. That is a big reason I try to find non-pressured fish. Big fish are smart fish.

I'd say that stealth is usually the way to go, but some days it just depends.  I usually like to start off the day by drilling a bunch of holes so that I can be quiet during prime time.  However, I can't tell you how many times I've drilled a new hole, marked a couple fish a few feet right below where my auger just popped through, and then caught one immediately.  I have also seen an inactive bite pick up right when someone drilled a new hole.  Some days being quiet is important, and sometimes a little noise helps get them going again.

Reflecting on the above I would add that... if what you're doing isn't working then try something else, whether that be changing jig/size color, your location, jigging action, etc.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:23 PM »
on devs lake we used to fire the auger up when the bite slowed down, the noise seemed to draw them in.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:24 PM »
dude are you jealous?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Once again egos and pattin yourself on the chest prevail.  This thread is just about your ego.  I have met you and you are willing to share if it meets your needs.  Now all I see from you is marketing and just enough to tempt a person into your needs.  For all the rest of us it is homework and research.  You get into a group of guys that have done that and share each others knowledge and think your above the rest.
Sorry I don't meet your needs... But you met me once maybe twice, and were did you see marketing in this post? JT please keep this post on here, because he is the very reason I stop posting last year... Try to help, and you get this... You're a stand up fella Rairdog!!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Spring bobber when have you ever been on my boat when I didnt have 16 rods with us.............NEVER.  Having 3 bucketfulls of rods on the ice is half the fun.  I just put new line, couple new reels, and a few new spring bobbers on these rods last night and that is just for my 1st bucket.  Look for the guy on the ice with the Alabama hat on and 3 buckets with 6 foot rods like these and come say hi ;D I wont bite but I may holler ROLL TIDE.(Image removed from quote.)

I think the picture could have done without the cheesy quote, but I see your point  ;D. I said I could manage using less rods, I didn't say I preferred it.   @)

Offline fishmaster1590

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:27 PM »
great post!! HT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.