Author Topic: HT's Top Ten!  (Read 6219 times)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
HT's Top Ten!
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Since it appears that there will be an ice season, I decided to go against the grain and help my fellow Indiana anglers.  You may ask why I’m so hesitant, and the answer is simple, because when you post information online, you not only help good people, you also help those who waste, abuse, poach, trash and don’t have respect for what many of us hold at the highest regard (if you are one of those bad seeds… follow Mike Ditka’s advice and “STOP IT”).  For those good guys, here are a few tips to consider, that will help you ice more fish, so you can enjoy a nice fry with your family:
1.   If you jig is designed to fish horizontal, then make sure it fishes horizontal. Learning how to tie a loop knot will help, or pull your line back to the hook.  I do after EVERY bite. If your lazy, use a vertical fishing jig.
2.   Avoid line memory. The fish bite light in the cold weather, and if your line is coiled I promise you, your missing fish.
3.   Try being as quite as possible. Noise kills the bite. I even try to get to the spot before light, drill all my holes before I fish, and hole hop afterwards. No drilling, no noise. That is a big reason I try to find non-pressured fish. Big fish are smart fish.
4.   If you’re fishing shallow, throw slush or snow in the hole to decrease light and movement from the topside.
5.   Three poles doesn’t usually equate to more fish. Have one good rod, jig or pound the p*ss out of it, and if you’re not catching fish… keep changing your jig.
6.   Find fish before you go fishing! Too many guys follow other guys, and miss awesome bites all over the same lake.  Points, drops, weed lines, structure, bottom   transitions all hold fish, and are all over the lake… research and reap the rewards!
7.   Take a kid ice fishing (when safe)!
8.   Pay attention to barometric pressure… if it’s high (over 30.02), expect a tough bite if it’s not steady (so probably not the best time to take a kid fishing)…LOL
9.   Drop your jig in the water and see if it’s spinning… if it is, you’re not going to catch fish…!
10.   SAFETY FIRST!! Ropes, picks, buddy, floating device, electronic keys in a zip lock, extra set of cloths in the vehicle, spud, etc.

Good fishing and good luck fellas!!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline SouthBend

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HT's Top Ten!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Nice list!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Nice list.  Here's a question for ya on jigs.  Where you said keep changing...for panfish, I always feel like fiskas and marmooskas work better than any other jig, and I pretty much stick to them because I have never experienced a time when something else worked better. Except when Jimmy is fishing next to me, but I have always chalked that up to a mix of jiggin action and voodoo.  lol   So am I wrong, and if so, maybe you could point me in the direction of a jig that I could use as a back-up to start with?  PM is fine if that works best for you.  Thanks...and again--good list.

Offline Davek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Thanks  High Tide good information some I forgot about.               

DaveK

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Great info HT   I need to add one , Never lone your auger to a rookie ice fisherman without giving good instructions   or they will pound the blades into the ice to start their hole  or pound it to clean it.

11.   Treat your auger blades like they are made of Glass, gently set it down on the ice to start a hole. Carefully lay it down on to the ice when your hole has been drilled (  adding to being quite) , always use your guard to transport your auger, these things will make your blades last a long time.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Nice list.  Here's a question for ya on jigs.  Where you said keep changing...for panfish, I always feel like fiskas and marmooskas work better than any other jig, and I pretty much stick to them because I have never experienced a time when something else worked better. Except when Jimmy is fishing next to me, but I have always chalked that up to a mix of jiggin action and voodoo.  lol   So am I wrong, and if so, maybe you could point me in the direction of a jig that I could use as a back-up to start with?  PM is fine if that works best for you.  Thanks...and again--good list.
We all have our favorites, and mine changes every year.  For me, if I'm fishing outside in the wind, I go with heavier jigs to keep the line tight over all other options.  First ice I also use bigger jigs (a lessoned learned when JT was spanking hog gills 10 feet away from me using a swedish pimple (yeah, I didn't forgot about that day JT), while I was just catching average fish.  I also think color matters more that profile, which is why I have 50 different color of the same jig.  Example when you're catching fish and it's cloudy, then it's sunny and they "shut off", I start changing colors, because I find its a color thing.  I go so far as to use two different rods on partly cloudy days, and keep switching between the light and dark periods once I hone in on the colors.  As the season progress, I use smaller jigs, and more natural colors (brown, purple, black, olive, green).  I also change my bait alot more, and keep it fresh all the time.  As to jigging, I usually jig my tail off early ice, and by the end of the season I'll be darn near to deadstick. 

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Great info HT   I need to add one , Never lone your auger to a rookie ice fisherman without giving good instructions   or they will pound the blades into the ice to start their hole  or pound it to clean it.

11.   Treat your auger blades like they are made of Glass, gently set it down on the ice to start a hole. Carefully lay it down on to the ice when your hole has been drilled (  adding to being quite) , always use your guard to transport your auger, these things will make your blades last a long time.
So very true!!! I've paid that price!!  ;)

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Dang HT.....nice post!  Pretty cool of you to help out with some good info.  (now you need to change your signature)   ;)
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Outstanding.....number 10 should be number 1 on the list!  All the others don't matter if you don't have that one covered!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Dang HT.....nice post!  Pretty cool of you to help out with some good info.  (now you need to change your signature)   ;)
Heck, the more I fish... the less I feel I know!!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:30 PM »

Hey Graham,  Here's my 2 cents on the back up jigs.  If you are not getting bit on your horizontal presentation....try a vertical jig for those pannies.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Hey Graham,  Here's my 2 cents on the back up jigs.  If you are not getting bit on your horizontal presentation....try a vertical jig for those pannies.
We'll make it number #12... whos got #13... make it worthy!  ;D

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:42 PM »
H.T. I feel like I just left an outstanding icefishing course!  Thanks

Offline Flat Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Now what's your top 10 spots to fish??? Lol
Lets go get em

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:50 PM »
After #10 I'll definitely be working on #7. Awesome post HT!

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:53 PM »
I am working on #7 with my son and wife (she is no kid but . . . ).   Jimmy taught me a few years ago not only to change the jiig but keep the bait fresh - and even change to another type of bait maybe.

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Very good post

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I am working on #7 with my son and wife (she is no kid but . . . ).   Jimmy taught me a few years ago not only to change the jiig but keep the bait fresh - and even change to another type of bait maybe.

High_Tide is a hell of a fishermen guys and will give a little more info than me,but take to heart what he said and you'll catch more fish.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:28 PM »
     High_Tide is a hell of a fishermen guys and will give a little more info than me,but take to heart what he said and you'll catch more fish.
I have kept good company over the years, and owe alot of what I know to you, MarmooskaPaul, Jigmup to name a few... Heck, I lost many of fish staring at the wrong rod tip, which may cost me in the short run, but not in the long run!  ;D

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:30 PM »
High Tide great post .

I would like to add if you are not making fish or are not on good fish don't camp and wait for them to come to you move drill new holes sometimes you only have to move a few feet and others it may be a hundred yards or more . 

Offline shantyking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Perfect post love it...

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:39 PM »
High Tide great post .

I would like to add if you are not making fish or are not on good fish don't camp and wait for them to come to you move drill new holes sometimes you only have to move a few feet and others it may be a hundred yards or more .
This is definitely #13 worthy... excellent point!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I would like to add if you are not making fish or are not on good fish don't camp and wait for them to come to you move drill new holes sometimes you only have to move a few feet and others it may be a hundred yards or more.

I was going to post this.  Drill a bunch and hole hop!

Also, I would add to look for fish that are suspended up higher in the water column, because they are generally more cooperative.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I was going to post this.  Drill a bunch and hole hop!

Also, I would add to look for fish that are suspended up higher in the water column, because they are generally more cooperative.

#14 Yes, this was the case this weekend... so I heard  ;)!

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Amazing Post.  One of the best this season for sure.  I would also like to add that just because you are marking fish does not men they are bitters.  Give em Five minutes or so and move on.  Also fish suspended in the water column is a good sign they are bitters, they are hunting dinner, they arent just out for a cruise,lol.  Work suspended fish hard.  Very informative post, thank you.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Amazing Post.  One of the best this season for sure.  I would also like to add that just because you are marking fish does not men they are bitters.  Give em Five minutes or so and move on.  Also fish suspended in the water column is a good sign they are bitters, they are hunting dinner, they arent just out for a cruise,lol.  Work suspended fish hard.  Very informative post, thank you.
This is a tricky one, if it's a lake with a large variety, like say large number perch, walleye, and cats and they're tight to the bottom and won't hit a gill jig. I would drop a pimple down to rule them out before I move to another location (if bluegill or crappie fishing). Because I'll take a mess of yellows or walleye over all other species! The barometric pressure will push fish down in the water column, but looking back it makes me sick how many times I probably left a school of eyes and perch thinking they're just not active gills, and I didn't drop a pimple and minnow head.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:22 PM »
HT you talk too much. Your gonna get a visit from some old guy in smelly coveralls, . with a goofy eye. You know whats coming....
Paul

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:30 PM »
HT you talk too much. Your gonna get a visit from some old guy in smelly coveralls, . with a goofy eye. You know whats coming....
Paul

Paul....someone down there needs to get you on the ice pretty soon....;D

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Bret, ice gotta get a little thicker. if i fell in right now the best i could do is swim in circles .lol
 paul

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Paul
Is he gonna give me a high five?  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.