Author Topic: New ION Auger......  (Read 8376 times)

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
Re: New ION Auger......
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30, 2012, 01:18 AM »
yep it was at thorne bros got to play with one ;D

What did you think....other than the price...
Hardwater Maniacs Pro staff
CrappieZilla Ice Pro staff
Team Extrem Wisconsin Series Competitor

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:15 AM »
it was very lightweight just had a little button to geter stated the drill reminded me of a mora its great if you dont like mixing gas but i will take my old strikemaster over the ion but this one will work to (link below)  @)

&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #32 on: Sep 30, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Hi Gang!
  I think its junk with the eskimo drill on it.  I have never seen an eskimo drill last very long.  They  are built cheap to sell cheap and they just don't last.  They bend easily too.  The ion batteries fail in cold weather and freeze easily.  I know this for a fact alll lithium freeze unless they are kept warm.   I used to work with them in the mill.  We switched alot of lithium out for lead batteries because of failure in the first year.  We used them in emergency lighting and Jump packs for large equipment.   Hard to do when its very cold outside.  You can buy one of these if you so choose at sportsmans direct for $399.  Great deal espically if you join there pro staff and get accepted.  I still think the electric augers need work.  A gator with regular batteries weights in at 35 pounds.  Not so bad if your a young guy.  This ion drill is no competation for the gator.  A gator will out perform this thing 2 to 1.  A gator is a very rugged drill its just a bit heavy.  I use 8" drills or larger.  If you use a 6" drill it drills alot more holes quicker too!  If your going to spend that kind of money go get a 36 volt milwakee drill and buy the adapter for a 6" lazer auger.  You can use the drill at home/work then use it during ice season.  I know that combo works.  Or a real nice 24 plus dewalt concrete drill works.  Thats a drill that will make anyone happy.
  Just my 2 cents
  Roc Martin
  AKA Da-Roc

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Sep 30, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Hi Gang!
  I think its junk with the eskimo drill on it.  I have never seen an eskimo drill last very long.  They  are built cheap to sell cheap and they just don't last.  They bend easily too.  The ion batteries fail in cold weather and freeze easily.  I know this for a fact alll lithium freeze unless they are kept warm.   I used to work with them in the mill.  We switched alot of lithium out for lead batteries because of failure in the first year.  We used them in emergency lighting and Jump packs for large equipment.   Hard to do when its very cold outside.  You can buy one of these if you so choose at sportsmans direct for $399.  Great deal espically if you join there pro staff and get accepted.  I still think the electric augers need work.  A gator with regular batteries weights in at 35 pounds.  Not so bad if your a young guy.  This ion drill is no competation for the gator.  A gator will out perform this thing 2 to 1.  A gator is a very rugged drill its just a bit heavy.  I use 8" drills or larger.  If you use a 6" drill it drills alot more holes quicker too!  If your going to spend that kind of money go get a 36 volt milwakee drill and buy the adapter for a 6" lazer auger.  You can use the drill at home/work then use it during ice season.  I know that combo works.  Or a real nice 24 plus dewalt concrete drill works.  Thats a drill that will make anyone happy.
  Just my 2 cents
  Roc Martin
  AKA Da-Roc

Well, since IG is also touting the lithium ion bat as any other li-ion batteries in their new augers, I'd assume their batts are going to be just as poor a performer, yes?

Also, I can't remember hearing too many complaints about eskimo service the past few years, but I do recall page after page with many topics about poor or NO customer service from IG.  Based on the IG track record, and the fact an IG is double the price, I think I'd take my chances with an Eskimo.  (BTW, I'm a Jiffy man, but I like keeping abreast of all manufacturers)

To address either the 36 volt Milwaukee or the 24 volt Dewalt, I'm pretty sure both of those are Li-Ion batteries also.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #34 on: Sep 30, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I agree with ya on the batteries esox.  Cant speak much on the auger issue.  Never had an eskimo.  I am sure that it is a fine product.  Once again to me it is a Ford vs. Chevy when it comes to the electric augers.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:47 AM »
  I like Jiffy auger but they are a bit heavy.  When I am drilling 100 plus holes in pre fishing a tournament I need something durable and light.  If the average joe is drilling 1 or just a few holes all you really need is a hand auger with very sharp blades on it to tell the truth.  I am lazy so A gas auger is still the ticket.  I like the old strikelite the best and they are coming down in price I see.  I know strikemaster doest make tham any longer.  Wonder if there will be a parts problem tho???
  I know Trying to get parts for a nils is nilely imposible and when you can get them its very very expensive for the blade head.  I have yet to find anyone who can sharpen them or service any part of those.  So that makes them even more expensive.  The Jiffys are a solid investment good customer service and nice augers that last.  The Jiffys are just very heavy is there only drawback.  I cannot attest for those chinese engines they put on them now.  I havent heard anything bad but who knows??  They were left with no choice but to go overseas for there engines.  There are NO manufactures of american small engines that will fit a auger.  Ill be working on how to lighten up my 9" jiffy this year.  I am looking at reducing the flight count and drilling out the rest of the flight to lighten it up.  I am also looking for carbon fiber or aluminum handles for it.  ANy other suggestions would be appreciated.  Maybe a smaller fuel tank?  Ounces add up really quick into pounds.
  So every ounce counts.  Lighter is always better out on the ice as long as your not sacrificing durability.  You need something that will last too.  I do agree with RICO yep its just another case of ford  -vs- chevy -vs honda!   I like my neighabor to have a job so I am going to buy the ford or a chevy when ever possible.  Support america or someone will take her away from us!
  Tight lines and I wish everyone well.  Hope you had a great summer!!!
  See ya!
  Da-Roc

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 01, 2012, 02:50 PM »

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 01, 2012, 10:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moFsBa5RwqU

Looks cheap and sounds weak in that video.  The lighter you make them the cheaper they are in both price an quality.  Never buy anything the first model year they come out.  You will be the guinea pig for all the real life testing of the product and the majority of the time you will be on the short end of that deal. 

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Looks cheap and sounds weak in that video.  The lighter you make them the cheaper they are in both price an quality.  Never buy anything the first model year they come out.  You will be the guinea pig for all the real life testing of the product and the majority of the time you will be on the short end of that deal.

Very true about buying the first model of anything.  Search the LX-7 threads and you will see. 

Also Dave Genz is running that auger when it appears to be about 55 degrees outside.  Just sayin.

I think I read somewhere that Strikemaster is coming out with an auger that has a Honda engine on it.  That sounds like a great idea.

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Very true about buying the first model of anything.  Search the LX-7 threads and you will see. 

Also Dave Genz is running that auger when it appears to be about 55 degrees outside.  Just sayin.

I think I read somewhere that Strikemaster is coming out with an auger that has a Honda engine on it.  That sounds like a great idea.

With "stroke"master not sponsoring youth anymore i will use a spud bar to plug holes before i but anything from them...just me..

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 03, 2012, 04:14 PM »
With "stroke"master not sponsoring youth anymore i will use a spud bar to plug holes before i but anything from them...just me..

Did they do something to you personally or one of your groups?  Just asking.  In my dealings with a lot of the "big boys" concerning fundraisers and such.......none of them are too willing to work with ya.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 03, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Video was taken at the Thorne Bros Event a couple of weekends ago.  They also demoed the Honda 4 stroke Strike Lite.  The Ion actually beat the 4 stroke auger in side by side cutting.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 03, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Did they do something to you personally or one of your groups?  Just asking.  In my dealings with a lot of the "big boys" concerning fundraisers and such.......none of them are too willing to work with ya.

Every company big company has 'sponsorship,' 'benefit', or 'donation' merchandise or money built into their annual budget.  Like every company they have to pick and choose from 100's of requests for a monetary donation, product donation, etc.  No way they can honor all requests.  Like it or not, most companies are going to look at the ROI of donating or sponsoring anything.  Sure sponsoring kids events sounds noble and is noble as they are the future of the sport, but the reality is the youth don't have any buying power, and thus the ROI is near zero in that case or at best can't be realized for many years down the road.  Sponsor an ice tourney with 100+ guys with disposable income and your potential ROI goes way up.  Not as classy as helping the youth, but they are in the business of making money.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:30 AM »
Every company big company has 'sponsorship,' 'benefit', or 'donation' merchandise or money built into their annual budget.  Like every company they have to pick and choose from 100's of requests for a monetary donation, product donation, etc.  No way they can honor all requests.  Like it or not, most companies are going to look at the ROI of donating or sponsoring anything.  Sure sponsoring kids events sounds noble and is noble as they are the future of the sport, but the reality is the youth don't have any buying power, and thus the ROI is near zero in that case or at best can't be realized for many years down the road.  Sponsor an ice tourney with 100+ guys with disposable income and your potential ROI goes way up.  Not as classy as helping the youth, but they are in the business of making money.

Exactly right.

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #44 on: Oct 04, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Video was taken at the Thorne Bros Event a couple of weekends ago.  They also demoed the Honda 4 stroke Strike Lite.  The Ion actually beat the 4 stroke auger in side by side cutting.

Nothing to me or my groups personally just when a company of that sizes says no to the youth it pours a fouls taste in my mouth...any one who doesn't realize its about money is a fool...but those kids that don't have buying power have parents and grand parents who do.....bad business IMO

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 04, 2012, 11:33 AM »
dh69, they are all like that man.  I got involved a few years back in some youth fishing tournaments.  All of them were more than willing to work with me at a discounted rate.  What Waxie posted was dead on.  They are in the business to make money, not always to promote the sport.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  In my years of running events and what not........the "small" guys out there are the ones that help out the most with donations and such as well of promotion of the sport. 

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 04, 2012, 04:53 PM »
dh69, they are all like that man.  I got involved a few years back in some youth fishing tournaments.  All of them were more than willing to work with me at a discounted rate.  What Waxie posted was dead on.  They are in the business to make money, not always to promote the sport.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  In my years of running events and what not........the "small" guys out there are the ones that help out the most with donations and such as well of promotion of the sport.

I know he is dead on....perfect reason i won't but from them...that's me...to each their own lol.....

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Nothing to me or my groups personally just when a company of that sizes says no to the youth it pours a fouls taste in my mouth...any one who doesn't realize its about money is a fool...but those kids that don't have buying power have parents and grand parents who do.....bad business IMO

I don't know what youth events you asked them to sponsor, but not all youth events are the same to a company being asked to sponsor, donate or provide free stuff.  For example, if you are doing a youth ice tournament for inner city or under privilegded youth it is a great idea, but from a sponsorship standpoint it is a dead end for any ROI.   Those kids don't have parents or grandparents that are involved or ice fish themselves and they most likely don't have any disposable income.  On the other hand if you are asking for sponsorship of the youth catagories of a local ice fishing derby that also has adult catagories, now you will get thier attention because there are adults that already fish bringing their kids out.  Here you have adults with money and kids that are more likely to continue to ice fish becuase they have families that do.  Both are youth events, but they are very different from a ROI view, which is what every successful company will be looking at.  There is no doubt it is about money, but that is reality.

I would also bet that strikemaster does sponsor youth events, but maybe not here.  We are on the southern fringe of the ice fishing territory.  They are likely involved in Wisconsin and Minnesota where ice fishing is very common and is known by everyone and the season is longer.

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:42 PM »
I don't know what youth events you asked them to sponsor, but not all youth events are the same to a company being asked to sponsor, donate or provide free stuff.  For example, if you are doing a youth ice tournament for inner city or under privilegded youth it is a great idea, but from a sponsorship standpoint it is a dead end for any ROI.   Those kids don't have parents or grandparents that are involved or ice fish themselves and they most likely don't have any disposable income.  On the other hand if you are asking for sponsorship of the youth catagories of a local ice fishing derby that also has adult catagories, now you will get thier attention because there are adults that already fish bringing their kids out.  Here you have adults with money and kids that are more likely to continue to ice fish becuase they have families that do.  Both are youth events, but they are very different from a ROI view, which is what every successful company will be looking at.  There is no doubt it is about money, but that is reality.

I would also bet that strikemaster does sponsor youth events, but maybe not here.  We are on the southern fringe of the ice fishing territory.  They are likely involved in Wisconsin and Minnesota where ice fishing is very common and is known by everyone and the season is longer.

I will say it again nothing to me or my groups personally......andmy two prostaffs aren't from here they are based in Wisconsin....you are explaining what is An understood evil of business....once again....IMO...its bad business....just saying

Offline panniehunter79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:45 PM »
must say i agree with duck hunter

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #50 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:57 PM »
must say i agree with duck hunter

Now your head's's on straight betbet you won't vote for Romney or Obama......lol......th anks pannie...it amuses me so how a fact everyone knows.....(the way business works) has to keep being explained over and over because I of my opinion... ;D ;D :cookoo:.....

Offline panniehunter79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:01 PM »
must say Romney gets my vote. but back to auger thing what suits each other best is all that matters. just like vex vs marcum. both great units an been around for long time.

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #52 on: Oct 06, 2012, 07:12 AM »
must say Romney gets my vote. but back to auger thing what suits each other best is all that matters. just like vex vs marcum. both great units an been around for long time.

VEX!.....and Romney is almost as much of a twit as the idiot in office now ! Lol

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #53 on: Oct 06, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Think I'll stick with my SM Electra

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Oct 07, 2012, 03:52 PM »
Hi Gang!
  As far as electric augers go at least Gator is made here in the USA.  They get my vote for doing it to!  I havent heard anything go wrong with a gator.  I see them alot on the NAIFC tour and everyone loves them??  So the Pros know something! 
     A vote for romney is a vote for unemployment and poverity.  Thank god were getting rid of that butt head MITCH!  Purdue has him now.  I guarantee Purdue will go under just give him a few weeks.  He will sell off their football team! LOL
 Any way its apples and oranges trying to compare augers.  Its what works for you is whats best.  I would say try to go light as possible.  I still like a gas auger better.  A Lazer mag is a nice gas auger hands down. Jiffys are durable I know I own one.    I own a gator too. I am still not swayed by it performance but it has a usefullness.  Espically at night on a lake surrounded by homes.  Its really quiet and it shows my respect to the neighaborhood.  I can drill holes at 2 am and not bother anyone.  So the electrics have a place.   Drilling shallow water they are quiet too.  They don't spook the fish.   So whatever you use I hope to see you using it catching fish and having fun.
  Da-Roc

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 07, 2012, 04:33 PM »
VEX!.....and Romney is almost as much of a twit as the idiot in office now ! Lol

Vexilar is one of the companies that wouldnt do anything for me concerning youth events.......Just sayin!!!!!

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #56 on: Oct 07, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Vexilar is one of the companies that wouldnt do anything for me concerning youth events.......Just sayin!!!!!

For you. Strike master said no to youth events period..... read it my self that's why the sour taste....do they make good auger...yes....will i but one...no....just saying

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Oct 07, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Hi Gang!
  As far as electric augers go at least Gator is made here in the USA.  They get my vote for doing it to!  I havent heard anything go wrong with a gator.  I see them alot on the NAIFC tour and everyone loves them??  So the Pros know something! 
     A vote for romney is a vote for unemployment and poverity.  Thank god were getting rid of that butt head MITCH!  Purdue has him now.  I guarantee Purdue will go under just give him a few weeks.  He will sell off their football team! LOL
 Any way its apples and oranges trying to compare augers.  Its what works for you is whats best.  I would say try to go light as possible.  I still like a gas auger better.  A Lazer mag is a nice gas auger hands down. Jiffys are durable I know I own one.    I own a gator too. I am still not swayed by it performance but it has a usefullness.  Espically at night on a lake surrounded by homes.  Its really quiet and it shows my respect to the neighaborhood.  I can drill holes at 2 am and not bother anyone.  So the electrics have a place.   Drilling shallow water they are quiet too.  They don't spook the fish.   So whatever you use I hope to see you using it catching fish and having fun.
  Da-Roc

Ahhh...great...I was wondering how long until the political BS would arrive.  Congrats on being 'that guy'.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Oct 07, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Ahhh...great...I was wondering how long until the political BS would arrive.  Congrats on being 'that guy'.

LOL..........

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 07, 2012, 06:33 PM »
For you. Strike master said no to youth events period..... read it my self that's why the sour taste....do they make good auger...yes....will i but one...no....just saying

Dude, love ya to death.  But it seems you have an agenda against strikemaster.  Nothing anybody says seems to sway your vocal opinion of them.  I respect that, and personally, I dont care what you buy or what your reasons are for such.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.