Author Topic: right to work  (Read 14979 times)

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
right to work
« on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:04 PM »
So what is everyone's take on this bill? I have a union job and don't think it is right for my dues to pay for another worker that messes up and has the same benefits I do and don't have to pay for it. I don't want this to be made into an argument but a good topic because Mitch is claiming in his ad on t.v that people are in favor of this 2-1 but has not taken a vote by the tax payers to get his info. So let's hear it guys. Keep it friendly.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
Re: right to work
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:22 PM »
I am going to stay away from this one.  To me, politics and religion are a no no on a website like this.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:26 PM »
I am going to stay away from this one.  To me, politics and religion are a no no on a website like this.

+1

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:36 PM »
steelworker Union
 ;) :)
U decide

Coop
Coopason

Offline bluegillmaster2011

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Went to the state house yesterday.. dad, grandpa and uncle all are union electricians and I'm hoping to start the apprenticeship next year.

Offline Hoosier Ice Pirate

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:50 PM »
He's probably polling his political pals. I paid union dues from my first day on the job, till I retired. I think unions can and do serve the good of workers. My only issue is when a union encourages people to be far less than productive it hurts the union image. It also makes it easier to send jobs to china or indonesia where they'll pay workers approximately a dollar or less a day. I read the other day that if right to work passed, that we'd be the first state to pass it. The commercial I just watched said there were 22 other states that have it and that we're competing for jobs with competing with them. I don't trust Mitch any farther than I could throw him. You're probably right Rico, but he pushes too much. If he didn't have the advantage in the statehouse he'd be a lot quieter. >:(

Offline mickgugel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Good Grief!  I cannot remember the last time I posted or responded to a post on this board, right to work gets me going.  I guess this is more a function of the warm weather and no ice then anything else.

I see both sides of this issue, but I am very disappointed by the politicans and the system that continues to fail us.

Do the icedance!

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Had my Union phone call yesterday.  They transfered me to my district representative, and well.....I told them what they could do with it!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:10 PM »
IBEW 21
If this passes it will hurt everone.
 ;)
Tom

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I am a member the United Steelworkers...and I am definitely opposed to it. A group of guys from work went to the state capitol again today to voice the concerns of our membership. This bill, if passed does nothing but help the rich get richer.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:16 PM »
here's my take on union ice fishing from someone who left the union years ago. Employee one checks the ice, employee two cuts the hole, employee three sets the trap, employee four catches the fish, employee five cleans the fish, employee six eats the fish, if anything gets backed up everyone waits.

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:25 PM »
 :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:   I'm already P.O.'d  with having no ice, I'm going to refrain from commenting while I chill.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:06 PM »
     Pipefitter Local 597    I'm strongly against it.   Its just another blow to or labor laws.  Do we all want to work for less.  Big bussiness would love that.    DITCH MITCH!!!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Goin OK,so far.Keep it clean and I keep it on the board and for the record,You have the right to "GO GET A JOB" and thats all I have to say about that.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I have never worked in a union shop, though many times I wished the places I worked had a union to stop the undue pressure and harassment >:( (putting it nice) we went thru from supor"s and manag't. I don't agree w the provision of union protection and benefits if a person doesn't pay for it. It is more of the 'welfare' that people feel they are entitled to... something for nothing. Could you imagine the uproar if the government said that you have to buy a licence to fish in this state, but this other person does not have to because he they don't like to fish even though they do. To that, I don't want to see more of the erosion of the pay and benefits to the middle class. It blows my mind that companies act like they are doing someone a favor paying them $7.75 to $8 an hour and that peop's should be grateful for that, and that is where I believe we are headed if they bust the unions and people keep accepting lower wages as the norm.  We are not china, indonesia, vietnam or any of the other third world countries where thier citizens work for crumbs and are unwilling to fight the opressors to have thier freedom. For government and business owners to say that wages have to drop for companies to be profitable is nonsense. Oh well, don't get me started :%$#!:

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Union bricklayer local 4 chapter 18. Ditch Mitch. Maybe he can lease out the right to work.lol.
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline drake hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Went to the state house yesterday.. dad, grandpa and uncle all are union electricians and I'm hoping to start the apprenticeship next year.
Hope you get into the apprenticeship, what local?   I am also a union electrician local 697

Offline bama34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Ditch Mitch

Union Electrican 697

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Vote no, carpenters 599 Hammond, in.

Offline Ft Wayne Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rippin lips since 1985
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:24 PM »
IUE CWA local 901.  This bill will in the long run will destroy unions. Its a direct attack on the working class. The place I work is union and they are closing all the shops at another facility in Texas(Right to work State) to bring it here because its cheaper here. How can it be cheaper in a non right to work state than it is to make a product in a Right to work state. No argument from the Republicans and no answer from them either we have tried. Just a republican push to bury unions because Democrats receive money for campaigns from unions. For everyone's sake I hope this does not go through. Any way. Back to fishing hopefully....
Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit on the ice and drink beer all day.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:39 AM »
Right to be fired more like it. Why do people who are non union worry so much about union people? They want nothing to do with it but sure are against it. We fight for our rights, a safe work enviornment, decent wages. In return, we produce a quality product. Its our business If one doesnt like unions then maybe they should do their business elsewhere. peace

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:45 AM »
IUE CWA local 901.  This bill will in the long run will destroy unions. Its a direct attack on the working class. The place I work is union and they are closing all the shops at another facility in Texas(Right to work State) to bring it here because its cheaper here. How can it be cheaper in a non right to work state than it is to make a product in a Right to work state. No argument from the Republicans and no answer from them either we have tried. Just a republican push to bury unions because Democrats receive money for campaigns from unions. For everyone's sake I hope this does not go through. Any way. Back to fishing hopefully....

have you ever worked with a texan??? if you ever have you wouldn't have to scratch your head and wonder why!! 

Offline winterbot428

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:45 AM »
I'm not in a union, but it seems clear to me that if you destroy the unions then there will be no middle class.  Just mostly poor people that will undercut each other just to keep working.  Great for the business owners... bad for everyone else.  Then the brain drain... smart people will go live in Canada where there is better health care and better jobs.  I know that's a stretch but I think that it is the direction we are pointed to.
Ya....the early bird gets the worm.....but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese....

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:58 AM »
couldn't have said it better!! even if there are more jobs like they claim. they will be jobs that pay minimum wage and offer no health or retirement benifits. more and more will be workin for places like walmart and will not be able to have a CHOICE to get another job because there will be very few "middle class jobs" existing and millions more trying to get those jobs.if right to work is so great then  why is ohio pushing to get rid of it ??? and why in mississippi has the state actually declined in jobs along with higher worker injuries ??? they claim it is for the states benifit but i am not so sure the republicans have looked at the facts. DIRECT SHOT AT UNIONS >:(

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:14 AM »
I'm not in a union, but it seems clear to me that if you destroy the unions then there will be no middle class.  Just mostly poor people that will undercut each other just to keep working.  Great for the business owners... bad for everyone else.  Then the brain drain... smart people will go live in Canada where there is better health care and better jobs.  I know that's a stretch but I think that it is the direction we are pointed to.
Amen brother! Rally today behind old south town mall from 2-4. Fort Wayne Indiana
Fish on!

Offline PLake Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2012, 07:43 AM »
Non union autoworker here and I realize that the only reason I have good benefits and pay is because of the presence of the UAW just outside the door of my plant. If not for the unions a lot of us would make less and have far fewer rights.

2nd point, Mitch also supposedly polled people about the toll road and got nothing but support for leasing that out, that sure is working out well for us Hoosiers isn't it? I will bet that he is using the same polling service for right to work.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13

Offline wrightap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:02 AM »
 AMEN Plake Boy!!!! Fitter Local 157.  That is one thing people don't realize is how many workers make a good wage because we make what we make.  I have a brother that is a non union fitter and I can't even get it through his head that the only reason he makes what he makes is because of unions.  Never have understood why people get mad at unions for having the wages and benefits that we have instead they nedd to be upset at their employer for not offering the same.  People want to fight to bring unions down instead of fighting to better themselves. 
Adam

#1 ice fisssher in IN

« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:21 AM »
  I will tell u why people don't like Unions:
people think they don't have to do their job cause the union will protect them.   
don't have to come to work union will get my job back
union protects a few people they shouldn't
a international rep make 89000 a year but when plant closes that the rep covers does his pay get cut or u take a cut cause he want u too

Don't get me wrong I was a union rep for 12 years and have heard it all.   The union has a place in America .  But if the company you work for treat you right and everyone the same way what does it matter .

Offline pna iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I chose to be a Union electrician, if you want to be a non-union electrician you have that right. How is weakening my Union going to help anyone get a job?
It's a lot like paying taxes to me. I pay my share and have paved roads, Police when I need them, Fireman and so on. What would Mitch do if I decided that I still wanted to have all of those benifits but not pay for them? Probably jail. Whats the difference?
In Building trade Unions there is no seniority, one man lay offs happen all the time. If I don't carry my load I will be unemployed no questions asked. There are no paid days off, no sick days, no holiday pay. If I don't work I am not paid. We pay all of the cost to train our apprentices. We do recieve a fair wage with good benefits that allow me to live a lower middle class life without relying on the government for assistance.
Right to work will only further undermine the Unions that people fought and died for, our collective wealth will decline ( if you work for a living, the fat cats at the top will benifit) our race to the bottom will only gain speed.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:13 AM »
In Building trade Unions there is no seniority, one man lay offs happen all the time. If I don't carry my load I will be unemployed no questions asked. There are no paid days off, no sick days, no holiday pay. If I don't work I am not paid.
              Amen brother ,  Most people don't know everything about the unions.  We earn a fair wage for a SKILLED trade.      Our forefathers fought many battles in the creation of our labor laws. Our we ready to go backwards and start over?         WE NEED ICE!!!    Its good to go relax, fish and not think about this junk all the time. 
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.