Author Topic: Brave souls!  (Read 10972 times)

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Brave souls!
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Here's the first brave souls to fish at Chinese Gardens!  And they're all IS members!!

Picture from left to right....qoperator, rjflynn, and fasttimeracing.

Offline mschma000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Brave souls!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I can hear the mob coming now!  You guys are crazy!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Get the plywood Blue, I will meet ya there ::)

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:15 AM »
So how much ice is there?  There can't be more than 1 1/2 - 2".

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Just over an inch

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:53 AM »
That's a good way to take a swim. Be careful guys I have went thru before and it is no fun. I want to fish as much as anyone but that memory sticks in my head everytime I see someone putting themselves in bad positions. I went thru on Blackman lake that had 12+ on it and hit a bad spot. Your family is more important than a fish. BE CAREFUL use your heads.

Offline hoosier-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:35 PM »
CRAZY

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Were those guys squatting because the "pucker factor" was high?

Stay safe.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:37 PM »
No way I would fish on that!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:07 PM »
YIKES!!!!!....LOL!!! :tipup:

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Yikes!

After all the post made to promote "Ice Safety" and follow the time honored rule of not getting on ice less than 3".
We get these individuals setting a very bad example -> and IS members to boot! ::)

Well here are the Darwin Award rules for those willing to be contenders for such an award by risking their necks! ;)

www.darwinawards.com/rules

Think I'll stick to the ice safety rules, and enjoy a relatively longer life with my family vs getting out on thin ice just to catch a stupid fish! :o

SeaDog1

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Yikes!

After all the post made to promote "Ice Safety" and follow the time honored rule of not getting on ice less than 3".
We get these individuals setting a very bad example -> and IS members to boot! ::)

Well here are the Darwin Award rules for those willing to be contenders for such an award by risking their necks! ;)

www.darwinawards.com/rules

Think I'll stick to the ice safety rules, and enjoy a relatively longer life with my family vs getting out on thin ice just to catch a stupid fish! :o

SeaDog1

oh relax...if guys want to get out on marginal ice in a channel, well more power to them.  ;D

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:34 PM »
I've taken a swim 2 times and neither of my swims even ranks in my top 100 best things I've ever done.  Last year I was 205 lbs and this year I'm up to 225, so I will wait even longer :roflmao:

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:37 PM »
LOL.......I have taken many of dips.......I hate it.....but!!!!!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:43 PM »
but.. friends,ropes,picks,floaties,and just having experiance is pricless..As we ALL know,NO ice is safe,there is just safer ice..Enjoy what ya do and dont do anything past your limits...

Offline Crappie_Killer_54

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:54 PM »
When one of u guys have pulled  someone out of the ice and didn't make it come and talk to me. your life is not woth some fish i don't care how bad u have the itch, how big the fish are,or how much fun it is. ITS NOT WORTH IT

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:46 AM »
As long as your not out by yourself, and are prepared for what may happen....no your limits...do what you gotta do!!!  Good Luck!!  And most of all have fun!!!

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:53 AM »
It was nice to finally put a face with an IS member. Maybe next time we can actually fish together. There was no way you were going to get me on that skinny ice!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:12 AM »
Ice fishing is not the safest sport in the world.  But neither is deer hunting, fishing out of a boat, or football.  Heck, you put your life at risk every time you drive down the road.  We do what we do because we love doing it.  I give a big thumbs up to Blue and the boys for their passion.  And even if they had went through, they wouldn't have drown!!!!!!!!!  They knew what they were doing.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Were those guys squatting because the "pucker factor" was high?

Stay safe.
Nicely said!!

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:09 AM »
 ;D we did check before we just walked out the. we tied a rope around me. i walked walked out with spud bar then auged a few hole.when we were fishing there was a throw rope on the dock that was five feet away from where someone was fishing. and we all had ice picks. we did everything as safe as we could and had a good time.

if i didnt spend so much time on here i wouldnt have done any of that. so thanks for teaching me how to be safe on the ice.

Offline gone_jiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Did you guys end up catching anything?

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:57 PM »
I got one dink. then the other guys had to leave. so i wasnt going to spend to much time out there by myself. :-\

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Ice fishing is not the safest sport in the world.  But neither is deer hunting, fishing out of a boat, or football.  Heck, you put your life at risk every time you drive down the road.  We do what we do because we love doing it.  I give a big thumbs up to Blue and the boys for their passion.  And even if they had went through, they wouldn't have drown!!!!!!!!!  They knew what they were doing.

It bothers me to see a quote like this and especially the "they wouldn't have drown, they know what they are doing."  it is comments and quotes like these that get people in trouble.  I lost an acquaintance and good friend a couple years ago on a lake in Northern Michigan, that guy had fished that lake for 30+yrs and was a good all around outdoorsman.  Most would say he knew what he was doing when on the ice, that was until the day that they had to call the county water rescue crew to dive for the bodies.  His ex wife's comments to my mom where I knew it would get him someday.  All hail the guys that made it out and didn't get in trouble but that might just get someone out there that doesn't know what to do and then what would everyone be saying?  They shouldn't have been out there or that is too bad, what a tragedy.  Do what you want to do it is a free country last i knew, but be ready to deal with the consequences and not shed a tear if it turns out bad.  Be careful but as most have said that small amount of gill is not worth a trip to the hospital or worse when there are so many other opportunities for outdoor adventures until the ice is SAFE!!!!!

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:52 PM »
The water there is shallow, that's why he said they wouldn't drown. He also said he wouldn't go out on that same ice and I agree,don't care how deep it is.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:45 PM »
There is more than just drowning that can get you when you are talking about going through thin ice, freezing water and cold winter temps.  Water depth has little to do with it, 4 ft of freezing water will incapacitate you just as fast as 20 ft of water of equal temp.  Ice picks wont help much on thin ice it will just keep cracking.  You also can hit your head on the ice as you go through which is what is speculated happened in the earlier case I was referring to.  Lots of things can go wrong in a hurry and not everyone handles them the same is all I am trying to say and at some point you need to have a little common sense in what you are putting out there for guys that might not be ready for the adventure, as the second guy had a heartattach in the water.  Maybe the old statement  "Dint try this at home this was a controlled stunt on a closed course".  I have had a lot of training through the Military, Search and Rescue, and Diving and nothing can prepare you for what will happen, when it happens, until it happens.  We drill and drill on the responce actions we will take time and time again until it comes second nature because that is what it takes to get the brain out of the shock and get the actions done.  Then when the adrenaline wears off you sit back and critic what happened, how you responded and what you could have done better, hopefully everyone is still there to participate, but the reality of it is that does not always happen.  All I am asking is be safe and lets try not to get too excited about getting out there until the ice is safer to prevent a possible incident that someone may not be ready for, there are way more important things in life. 

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Like you said, Its a free country. Each to their own.

Offline jamesboyle63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Not sure brave is the right word but hey, whatever floats your boat. Be safe. Ain't a fish in the world worth drowning for.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Wow....  All I wanted to show by posting these pictures was guys on first ice.  Everyone makes their own judgement calls and they're decision was to fish.  If you don't like being on that "skinny" ice then that's your decision.  If I would have known that this would have happened by posting pictures then I would have never posted them.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:40 PM »
And the jealousy starts....... :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.