Author Topic: perch Trip Saturday  (Read 6338 times)

Offline 4gettingills

• IceShanty Rookie
perch Trip Saturday
« on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Ok Guys I'm going to fish Navy Pier on Saturday if its not raining bad.  So far I have One guy thats coming and Maybe one other.  I have had alot of pm with guys that are wanting to go.  If you are wanting to go let me know on here and we can match some people up together for rides and I can guide everyone in on Saturday so it will be easy to find your way.  I'm planning on getting up there at five so I can get the best spots.  There are some things we can work out like a place to meet up and then go. Somethings to know if you drive up alone I will show you how to park and how to get the 5 dollar parking rate for fishing they only take credit card or I believe debit.  Things I bring Tackle box 2 poles with crappie riggs with # 6,8 hooks any color and 3/4 oz weights. knife gloves snow suit boats hat etc. cold weather gear. Bucket with seat but if the perch are biting you'll be standing.  There is a food court real close to the place were fishing plenty of things to eat but most important clean and warm restrooms 100 yards from fishing.  Bait To be safe 1/4lb raw shrimp 1/4ib cooked shrimp and 2 dz walleye minnows.  That should be plenty of bait for all day with some left over. Keep in mind this is Chicago and if its busy you'll be fishing 7-10 feet from the next guy so I hope you can cast.  I have seen several techniques for catching them .  Always on the bottom no bobbers straight down to 50 feet out try several things till you start getting the perch.  Always tight line and some little jiggin too. Hope to see some bent lines.  Ren 219-771-2780 Don't forget to get at least a day license  Did drive by today on my lunch hour only a dozen people out there did'nt see much action

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: perch Trip Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:04 PM »
k ren count me in also...like i said i have an avalanche so i can take a couple guys too...ill pm my number when you get room in the inbox

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Ren couple questions.
What kinda pole do you use hoe long? pound test line? DO we need a  landing net. As far as shrimp goes what size? do you get it from the Groshery store?
ARe you planning on Driving if I go I hav a crew cab truck so i van bring 4 may be 5 if we dont mind getting close in the back. I have never been and am very interested in going. and lastly what time do you think we would be back? I have a BDay party @ 1pm I belive.
Felix
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:11 PM »
oh what time you planning on leaving? 4ish? I am also in valpo on rt6 1/2 mile west of meridian rd 

Offline 4gettingills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I use 8 ib test medium and light action rods The shrimp I get I tell the lady give me the cheapest raw shrimp you sell. you will cut into pieces anyway size of a dime is about what I put on the hooks.  If you go the 5 dollar parking ends at 10am or you pay 18 after that. I am a fishaholic and I had a limit Saturday by 930 but didn't leave till 2

Offline 4gettingills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:17 PM »
I would say 4am leave here meet another group along the way then take toll rd to calumet ezit the 41 north to lakeshore dr then get to navy pier So far I have at least on with me if I drive maybe one more if my partner drives. I probably need to finish by ten but its hard to quit when there biting.

Offline 4gettingills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Ren couple questions.
What kinda pole do you use hoe long? pound test line? DO we need a  landing net. As far as shrimp goes what size? do you get it from the Groshery store?
ARe you planning on Driving if I go I hav a crew cab truck so i van bring 4 may be 5 if we dont mind getting close in the back. I have never been and am very interested in going. and lastly what time do you think we would be back? I have a BDay party @ 1pm I belive.
Felix
If your driving you would say hey we quite by 10 no later then that way everyone that is in understands.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Hey guys im in. Leaving from the Griffith area if anyone wants to ride along. I can put 2 more in the truck. If interested pm me

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:46 AM »
I'm in. Anyone else from South Bend, Mishawaka, Osceola, Elkhart???

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:15 AM »
If you have truck plates be careful on lake shore drive its a ticket for sure trust me :'(
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:19 AM »
If you have truck plates be careful on lake shore drive its a ticket for sure trust me :'(

Huh?  Are you saying if your truck from Inidana is plated as a truck and not a passenger vehicle you will get ticketed on LSD?  I never heard of that one before.  When did that come about?

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Yes, unless something has changed, its a big no no.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:46 AM »
Yes, unless something has changed, its a big no no.

Joe

So the exact same pick up truck, same weight, etc, with the only difference being if the  5 ounce plate is a truck plate vs. passenger plate will get you ticketed?  No discretion by the officer that they can plainly see you are hauling passengers and not a 'load', will still yeild a ticket?  I can understand they don't want box trucks, semis or pickups hauling a load of something on LSD drive, because the road is not built for that kind of load.  But simply going by the type of plate on a standard pickup that is hauling nothing but people has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of.  Leave it to IL and Chicago to try to gash the working man however they possibly can.

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:03 AM »
I Very rarely go to chicago since I moved to Wheatfield, but I know years back, that was the case.  I can remember my father getting ticketed on LSD for driving his company owned station wagon with commercial plates.  I have been on LSD with my truck, but I have the Hoosier Safety plate and have not been stopped. I don't know if its the plate or if that law has been changed.

Joe

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:33 AM »
They do not care what you are doing if your plate says truck you are in violation in their eyes. Mabye guy was in a bad mood or had bad day or I just looked like i needed a ticket but that is their law ::) 
Maybe you all will be okay but I just wanted ya to know before. I didnt and got burnned! I mean I saw the no truck signs but I did not think a 3/4 ton crew was considered a truck like a semi or box truck!!

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Well i got Colts plates on my truck. Hope them Bear fans are not still mad about that Super Bowl a couple years ago. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Well i got Colts plates on my truck. Hope them Bear fans are not still mad about that Super Bowl a couple years ago. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Still mad!!!
Im gona rat u out!  ;D

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:09 PM »
You are taking a chance by driving on LSD. You just have to drive 94 up and exit on Monroe I believe. It is a few miles out of the way but may save you 150.00 ticket. Made it up to the pier today finally. Bite was slow kept 15 a few were small but 10:00 was only a few minutes away. I paid my 5 bucks and wasn't going to pay another 18. Caught 5 fish over 9 the rest were 7+. Must of thrown back 30 that were under 6. I was pushing 2 inches. Minnows were the ticket today. Not 1 on shrimp. raw or cooked. Next time out I will be casting spinner with raw shrimp. Might trick them perch thinking it is a soft shell. There are weeds so I think a spinner just above may produce some larger fish. Also, fished straight down tightline. If you casted out you had to contend with weed interference trying to tightline. Maybe just where I was. I will go back to same place next time. Not sure if I can make it on Saturday yet. This morning I left my house at 3:30, and got there at 5AM. Must of been about 30 guys fishing today. Many were coming out as I was leaving. The bite started to get good about 9:00. The first 1 1/2 hours no fish. Might be better not to get validated and pay 5, instead if you will be staying just pay the 18. Think they have higher rates for Saturday. And even higher rates for Sunday. Not for sure but most of Chicago parking is this way.

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:22 PM »
Got to agree with you, Al.  I always did the best with raw shrimp on the spinners.  Was anyone out there casting spinners yet?

Joe

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:35 PM »
No, I usually tear them up on crawads in late May June. I have never tried the shrimp yet. If it works it will save me some money later in year when I don't have to buy 2 dozen each time out. That is 20 bucks. I could spend on a launch fee. You know what they say the early bird gets the worm. In this case the sinner. I am a early bird. just hope it pays off.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:44 PM »
so wheres a good spot to meet up with you guys coming from valpo and other parts    im in griffith

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:52 PM »
WTG Al glad u got some Did youget anyone to go with u?

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:02 PM »
i'm pumped and ready to go...

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2011, 08:10 PM »
WTG Al glad u got some Did youget anyone to go with u?
solo, I am going to try to get away Saturday. Sounds like a bunch of guys going. Should be fun.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Who's going? I'm still undecided we have a lot going on with my son being home. lot of people comming to see him were haveing something thursday so I shouldnt go but............... Any way still undecided. who's going when r u leaving I may go solo in case I have to leave early.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Whats early 3:00 am, oh, you mean leave early. Well if I were you plan on leaving the parking lot at 9:45, that way it won't cost you but 5 bucks to park. Still not sure if I will be able to go yet. Find out more tonight. Hope it doesn't rain on our parade.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Yeah kinda worried about  the rain feel like i'm getting a cold or something feel like crap!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Going to be a lot colder than today with north winds and rain. (Wind hitting you in the face, maybe the filteration project will help keep it at bay). How many are in reguardless??? Just curious

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I will let ya know tonight not sure yet. I have no Idea where to go or what so if I am in will call ya

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I am pretty sure 4gettinggills is the one who is throwing this party together. His name is Ren. I am sure he will be posting on here tonight after work. He will have an idea who, what time and where to meet. Either way it will be an early morning. just hope the weather cooperates.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.