Author Topic: WHY??  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
WHY??
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:47 AM »
I was wondering why is alot of people so hush hush about what lake or river they are catching fish in.Never asked for GPS pin points but just names of lakes and rivers.I have been fishing Bass Lake for lot of years and the Kankakee River.I don't mind sharing but it seems as though most on this site think that they give the name of a hot lake or river thats it going to be fished out in a week,or heaven forbid someone be close to were you fish.It is crazy to think that way.How do you think that you learned about that one certain lake or river to catch fish?I'm sure it didn't just come to you in a dream.Someone told you or a family member or a friend told you.Where do you think they learned about that lake or river?

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WHY??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Amen!!
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:06 AM »
X2
Tight lines

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:06 AM »
here we go again...this is the most common topic on all of ice shanty!!!  :wacko:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Well gillcommander please enlighten me.Tell me what you think.You are probably one that thinks hush hush is going to save all the fish for you.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Well gillcommander please enlighten me.Tell me what you think.You are probably one that thinks hush hush is going to save all the fish for you.

Lots of ways to figure out where to fish other than depending on word of mouth fishing or bent rod patterns.  DNR studies, lake maps, etc. can all help you find lakes with the desired species of fish and lakes off the beaten path that hold big fish and lots of them.  Also, those that have shared lakes and spots on here and been burnt by it, will not do it again.  Use the PM route and you will have much better luck than expecting it to be posted on here for not only members but the 100's if not thousands of lurkers.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:47 AM »
 Why give out lake names so people you don't know can move in on your spot?  All it takes is to spout out the lake name and people will find the spot because the first thing they do is look for the old holes lol. Also the most rewarding part of fishing imo is finding the fish and putting in the work/time of patterning them. Thats what true anglers do... anybody that sits behind a computer waiting for guys to put in the hard work of finding the fish and then expect them to post, is not a true angler. Sorry not trying to be rude by anymeans, but this topic has been beat pretty hard this year.... Fwiw if you pm me for some info, Ill give it to ya long as you give me a spot in return... it's only fair isn't it?

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:18 AM »
For some Of us we put in many Hours of Time and Effort to learn a certain Fishing Area ????
So therefore some information Is Hush..Hush...
That's just the way it Is....
You Got to remember,This Is Indiana,Not Canada.........
Fishing is this State On A good Day Is Tough ....

JRSwillow

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:27 AM »
U got sumthin wrong  if Somone wud like to share pics without giving them information sumtimes I think that's ok, I let people know wats going on most of the time n giv all helpful information to someone if I can, if I choose not to give information out on one post so b it,  so don't cum at me like that, posting crap threads about me wats wrong wit u

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Why give out lake names so people you don't know can move in on your spot?  All it takes is to spout out the lake name and people will find the spot because the first thing they do is look for the old holes lol. Also the most rewarding part of fishing imo is finding the fish and putting in the work/time of patterning them. Thats what true anglers do... anybody that sits behind a computer waiting for guys to put in the hard work of finding the fish and then expect them to post, is not a true angler. Sorry not trying to be rude by anymeans, but this topic has been beat pretty hard this year.... Fwiw if you pm me for some info, Ill give it to ya long as you give me a spot in return... it's only fair isn't it?

I do put in the work.Ifish the Kankakee for hours and the same for bass lake looking for those hot spots.Those are the two closest places to my house.Get layed off in the winter so don't have extra money to take trips far from home that offten.So i ask so i don't waste the time and money going somwhere for nothing,even though i know you can catch them one day and not the next.I'm not to good on this computer so i don't sit behind it just looking up different lakes all day.Don't ask for hot spots just lake names.Different places to try.Thats all.So lake for lake sounds fair.

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:46 AM »
U got sumthin wrong  if Somone wud like to share pics without giving them information sumtimes I think that's ok, I let people know wats going on most of the time n giv all helpful information to someone if I can, if I choose not to give information out on one post so b it,  so don't cum at me like that, posting crap threads about me thanks I think I'm about done wit the website I once liked to get on , peace

I did not write this thread about you.I wrote it just wondering why people are so hush hush about lakes and rivers when others ask the horrible question,"what lake or river did you catch them".Just a question.don't stop posting.

JRSwillow

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I bet if I hadn't of made a mistake on the other thread u wudnt have made this one

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 AM »
A mistake is mispelling saying you fished one place that you didnt is rude and asking for trouble and harassment if you dont want to say use lake x or river x dont lie its easier to defend what you put than to back pedal and get beatup online just my thought what ever you do good luck!!
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Been thinking about this for a long time.Nothing to do with you.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:57 AM »
A mistake is mispelling saying you fished one place that you didnt is rude and asking for trouble and harassment if you dont want to say use lake x or river x dont lie its easier to defend what you put than to back pedal and get beatup online just my thought what ever you do good luck!!

X2

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:32 AM »
uh huh...

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I personally would rather know that I found a spot that holds fish rather than someone tell me where the fish are biting.  Besides doesn't really matter, the fish can always be there one day and not there the next.

JRSwillow

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Been thinking about this for a long time.Nothing to do with you. Good feeling mutual

JRSwillow

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:30 PM »
Pissing me off now forget this

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:32 PM »

I honestly don't care either way if someone says where they catch fish. That isn't why I come to the site. Check out the Kankakee River thread right now it isn't like you can actually trust people anyway.!!!!  :cookoo:  

I come to talk about techniques and to seek advice from some very knowledgeable ice anglers to help me personally do better. If I make a few friends and get some good advice and see someone post pictures (another reason I check in since I like to see people's success) that I talk to here and there I may ask what body of water they were on. I would only expect a lake name and nothing else. I have personally told people what lake I am doing well on if they have asked. I have even fished other lakes with members who are know a body of water better than me and in return have offered to take them to my spots.

I think a guy has the right to say what he wants about where he did well...although it hasn't personally happened to me I have heard cases where lakes where full the next day. I'm also not saying a guy has a right to have an entire lake to himself especially with public access.

I was merely saying this is probably the 248th time I have seen this post. I am sure we will also see the same responses (lazy fisherman, overfished spots, pressured bodies of water, working hard to find fish, etc) for the 248th time.

Have a nice day everyone!!!   :woot:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:42 PM »

I do put in the work.Ifish the Kankakee for hours and the same for bass lake looking for those hot spots.Those are the two closest places to my house.Get layed off in the winter so don't have extra money to take trips far from home that offten.So i ask so i don't waste the time and money going somwhere for nothing,even though i know you can catch them one day and not the next.I'm not to good on this computer so i don't sit behind it just looking up different lakes all day.Don't ask for hot spots just lake names.Different places to try.Thats all.So lake for lake sounds fair.

Yea well, keep running your mouth about your spots here, or anywhere, and you wont have any "spots".  Someone is always willing to let you do the dirty work and be sitting there with 10 other people that normally wouldnt be there and your back to square one.  Looking for a place to fish with no money to go searching.

I agree with the fellow above about the part timers.  There is an exception.  I will not ignore info that is put out for all to see, and im not a part timer.   If fish are not hitting at Lake X, and i know from posts that lake Y has a bite on i surely will consider Lake Y over X the next time.  If i was to stay and flog the dog at X and call it stubborness, it doesnt mean im not an idiot.  Which means yes, i will search out likely areas to fish just like the next.  (thats as PC as i can put it)  Free info is free info.  

Will someone tell me where this "entitlement" comes from?  Why does anyone think i owe them access to my hole simply because they wish to know?  

Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline MONSTERQUEST

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Pissing me off now forget this
JR when you go fishing this summer leave the bug repelant at home, a few bites mite help toughen your skin up a little

Offline MONSTERQUEST

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:01 PM »
  ya talk $hi# over the computer
JR not trying to ruffle you up just sayn move on & don't let the little stuff bother you

JRSwillow

« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:04 PM »
JR not trying to ruffle you up just sayn move on & don't let the little stuff bother you
ok I can't tell when people r joking

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:12 PM »
sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh.................... .LMMFAO.........

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:30 PM »

Will someone tell me where this "entitlement" comes from?  Why does anyone think i owe them access to my hole simply because they wish to know?  

Agreed.  Get a map, strike up a conversation at the bait shop, drill some holes try your luck.  The employment of leg work, time and effort  to locate fish will offend noone.  NOWHERE in the terms and conditions of IS did I agree to disclose fishing locations.  That's a personal decision.  If you're getting barked down for asking, take a minute to consider this:  what would you expect a total stranger (because that's what most of us are here) to tell you in person if you asked them to spit up their spot if you saw them with a big haul at the bait shop?  That's what I thought.  Secondly, would you ask a total stranger this?  Probably not.  Just all to easy with anonymity.  Like getting ruffled that noone's spoon feeding info on catches.  Let's try this: adopt the attitude that noone on IS owes anyone anything.  I joined IS to hopefully gather and share info about equipment and techniques.  Finding the fish is MY responsibility, noone else's.  I have an entire lake or lakes at my ready access thanks to mother nature freezing them.  The only place I can't go is where someone else put a shanty or where it's open.  All I have to do is walk, drill holes, check for fish, repeat.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Agreed.  Get a map, strike up a conversation at the bait shop, drill some holes try your luck.  The employment of leg work, time and effort  to locate fish will offend noone.  NOWHERE in the terms and conditions of IS did I agree to disclose fishing locations.  That's a personal decision.  If you're getting barked down for asking, take a minute to consider this:  what would you expect a total stranger (because that's what most of us are here) to tell you in person if you asked them to spit up their spot if you saw them with a big haul at the bait shop?  That's what I thought.  Secondly, would you ask a total stranger this?  Probably not.  Just all to easy with anonymity.  Like getting ruffled that noone's spoon feeding info on catches.  Let's try this: adopt the attitude that noone on IS owes anyone anything.

:thumbsup:

Rairdog.  Agreed with the use of PM.  More than a few from here have been to my "spot", and generally thats where the "partnership" began.  IE  Trading spots or just generally having someone to fish with.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:19 PM »
How about some more Drama? This is great, I ain't got any gas money to go anywhere, so this is Cheap entertainment!

Offline SouthBend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:36 PM »
How about some more Drama? This is great, I ain't got any gas money to go anywhere, so this is Cheap entertainment!

Its all in good fun... I think.. Hopefully nobody takes forum drama to heart. You can definitely tell when the ice starts to thin though, peoples skin seems to thin with it.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:22 PM »
...end of a long winter, people can be alittle irritable, lord knows I'm guilty

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.