Author Topic: Probably gonna argue, but I got to get it off my chest.....this bothers me.  (Read 17957 times)

Offline Flat Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
You know i posted about keeping 99 fish that was with in 20 hours and 3 people. If that is to much for you i am very sorry. But on the other hand i catch 1,000s of fish a year both hard and soft water and may keep 10 to 15 % of my catch I don't think that is excessive.I also pay for my fishing liscense every year and I think that gives me every right in the world to keep as many fish as can catch with in the legal guidelines. Just my opinion!!!!!!!!
Lets go get em

Offline Boongill

• IceShanty Rookie
I have fished for many years at a lot of lakes and pits and a place that has the large bluegills decimated usually never recover to have the same size fish years down the road.
lorigger

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
In a word.....Summit
1000's of gills harvested every ice fishing season but it always produces 1000's the next. Not just 7 inchers either, I'm talking some brutes.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Flat Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
In a word.....Summit
1000's of gills harvested every ice fishing season but it always produces 1000's the next. Not just 7 inchers either, I'm talking some brutes.
WELL SAID> THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets go get em

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
In a word.....Summit

A perfect example. I believe that lake is around 800 acres? It has a much better chance of supporting harvests in the thousands annually, compared to a 20-30 acre lake or pit. That is why we shouldn't apply a blanket catch total to all bodies of water. Each one has to be evaluated independently.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A perfect example. I believe that lake is around 800 acres? It has a much better chance of supporting harvests in the thousands annually, compared to a 20-30 acre lake or pit.

Remember size (acres) isn't the only variable, Summit also gets fished by many more people than the smaller lakes.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
A perfect example. I believe that lake is around 800 acres? It has a much better chance of supporting harvests in the thousands annually, compared to a 20-30 acre lake or pit. That is why we shouldn't apply a blanket catch total to all bodies of water. Each one has to be evaluated independently.

Bingo...and the best way to do that is get your hands on the recent fish shocking surveys or talk to the biologist in the region for the lakes you fish.  It is their job to know what is in the lakes and what they can handle.  It is your tax dollars at work, so utilize the info out there instead of starting a thread being critical of anyone and everyone that does not follow some uninformed standand you deem as being law of the land.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bingo...and the best way to do that is get your hands on the recent fish shocking surveys or talk to the biologist in the region for the lakes you fish.  It is their job to know what is in the lakes and what they can handle.  It is your tax dollars at work, so utilize the info out there instead of starting a thread being critical of anyone and everyone that does not follow some uninformed standand you deem as being law of the land.

What if we're talking private water... no fisheries report, no biologist evaluation... better to err on the side of conservancy wouldn't you say? Boys, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't fish public water, period. I only fish for Bluegill, nothing else. I'm never gonna' fish your waters, and you're never gonna' fish mine. I decided a few years ago that I was done with trying to catch trophy gills' regularly from public water, due to overharvest of large specimens. Does that mean they are not out there? Of course not,I've seen some good photos on here that say otherwise. It just means that for me, to REGULARLY and CONSISTENTLY catch Bluegill a pound or over, I'm gonna have to grow my own. For the last few years I've studied, planned, built, and spent a large amount of money finding out all I can about these fish. I'm on a first name basis with the fisheries biologist for my district. This doesn't make me an expert, just well informed. I don't care what you guys do with my  tax dollars, cause I'm not going to do anything with em'. Someone should get some use out of my money. I agree with what Flatbob said, if you're legal what difference does it make? But I also agree with what my grandmother used  to tell me. "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD"  Words to live by.

Offline softcraw

• IceShanty Rookie
Well put . Grandma was right .

Offline softcraw

• IceShanty Rookie
It was his opinion . Why argue yours ?

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
FWFeecherman,

I will say you have courage to make that post and speak your opinion truthfully.....and suffer the wrath.  That's more than most of us would ever do!  The beauty of the net is you can post whatever you want and offend whoever you want without their permission.  With that said you have stimulated some good info being passed around....thank you.

To get back on topic, "to each his own".  If you need 40 gills...take them!  If you only want 10....take them!  Take care of our wildlife and it will be here for the next generation!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah What HE Said!!!
Who?? ;D  Still, lots of good views and opinoins. I'll keep 4-5 for a good meal then let the rest go so that my nephew has a chance at them when he gets older. Thats also why I release ALL my muskys. CP&R most days although I choose not to post pics on here.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
Btw...I like this Sprkplug guy.  Good info man!!!! ;D
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
hmmmm...
i fish a small lake in the north part of the state. semi private  but it gets the crap fished outta it!! been fishing for 15 years and its still my go to lake!! with that said keep in mind that the farmers that live on the lake absolutely POUND IT!! i got a call 2 springs ago to come up for some bed fishing as they stated "getting a good # over 10" "  right... so i went and there were 3 5 gallon buckets full being dumped in a cooler...a big one. i measured 15 over 10.25! so off we went and wow! 2 fow and locked on the beds...till they got yanked off! all kept!  they have been doing this for years  and the lake still puts out super quality gills! like 30 yrs! these guys feed 4 BIG families on gills!...often!!

the bass...

these guys could care less about the bass.  there are a million 6-10 inchers in there.  they are stunted and thin. they do put on some weight after the gills spawn...but thats it! not uncommon to see a school of 50-100 working the shallows...its sad!

with a lower population density there is more food available and they grow fast and big! keeping them thinned is key. i think we sometimes forget that the ice harvest is less than 10 % of the total. ever been to wawasee and see the amo bararges  in the summer with 20 rods and 3 FULL fish baskets? and they still need thinned more..IMO.
some of my best quality gill lakes are the ones that get fished the hardest in summer. keep 'em thinned out and let mother nature do the rest!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Bingo...and the best way to do that is get your hands on the recent fish shocking surveys or talk to the biologist in the region for the lakes you fish.  It is their job to know what is in the lakes and what they can handle.  It is your tax dollars at work, so utilize the info out there instead of starting a thread being critical of anyone and everyone that does not follow some uninformed standand you deem as being law of the land.

Wow wax worm..............  :o   I have always enjoyed your posts and the information you have shared.........I see you as a good fisherman and am impressed by your catches.  I am surprised you took such offense to me voicing my opinion.  Lets be clear about one thing if nothing else here:  Your level of misconception, or possible arrogance, that my thread was directed at you freaks me out.    ::)     My post had nothing to do with you or anyone on this site specifically for posting their big catches.  I said I enjoy reading and seeing others catch fish.  Please don't stop posting pics guys. Catch away!  Keep what you want (within DNR guidelines).  I am no biologist and don't know all the variables and things contributing to different lakes, ponds, reservoirs, having different populations and size fish.....    I was not speaking of anyone else on this site either.  I also was not speaking of people who go out with a group of friends and keep 100 fish between them..........I typically am out with 2 or 3 guys myself and they usually all outfish me (which is not hard to do  ;D) and we probably routinely put 100 fish on the ice between us.  I am not talking about that.  I am talking about the guy who I see out on the ice or talk with who has 100 fish themselves that day and then talk about they had been doing that every day all week.   I only see what they have when I am there so maybe they are full of it anyway, but this type of thing is what I was referring to........ not you Wax Worm, or you Flat Bob......

As for "starting a thread being critical of anyone and everyone that does not follow some uninformed standand you deem as being law of the land."  Really??????  Being critical?????? I didn't say people had to follow what I thought.  I didn't say people were absolutely wrong for keeping fish?  I keep fish.  I have no say on the law of the land.  I know lakes need balance and that balance depends on the lake and many variables.  I only stated my concern for guys that don't take care of the resource.   As for being uninformed.........I consider myself a fisherman and an American so I have the right to voice my opinion whether you feel I am informed or not.  I have spoken with biologists and state officials from time to time and have never heard any of them ever NOT wanting people to care for the resources..........

As for people who catch fish for others to give them joy because they can't get the fish themselves for one reason or another, more power to you.  Thank you for doing those nice things!!!  I have no trouble with that either.   I have been in need many times and fellow fisherman have kept fish for me because I couldn't get out or needed the food.  Me and my family are very grateful for that generosity.  If your adding fish to your meal for your family that is awesome!!  Again, more power to you. 

I do have the right to express my opinion on this board and you can choose to take it or leave it, take it personal, or ignore it.......  I will continue to love to fish, keep fish when its appropriate, follow the regulations, and do my best to help take care of the resource.   Please keep catching, posting, and enjoying the sport.  I hope to continue to learn from the great fishermen on this site and I hope me having an opinion on something doesn't detour others from posting their good catches, small catches, skunks, or whatever else they feel like posting.     

Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueulta2---I was responding---- apparently I don't typoe fast enough as well as not knowing how to stand up for my beliefs......

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What if we're talking private water... no fisheries report, no biologist evaluation... better to err on the side of conservancy wouldn't you say? Boys, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't fish public water, period. I only fish for Bluegill, nothing else. I'm never gonna' fish your waters, and you're never gonna' fish mine. I decided a few years ago that I was done with trying to catch trophy gills' regularly from public water, due to overharvest of large specimens. Does that mean they are not out there? Of course not,I've seen some good photos on here that say otherwise. It just means that for me, to REGULARLY and CONSISTENTLY catch Bluegill a pound or over, I'm gonna have to grow my own. For the last few years I've studied, planned, built, and spent a large amount of money finding out all I can about these fish. I'm on a first name basis with the fisheries biologist for my district. This doesn't make me an expert, just well informed. I don't care what you guys do with my  tax dollars, cause I'm not going to do anything with em'. Someone should get some use out of my money. I agree with what Flatbob said, if you're legal what difference does it make? But I also agree with what my grandmother used  to tell me. "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD"  Words to live by.

Private waters, you are at the mercy of who owns the water for knowledge of what to keep and what to toss back.  I don't fish private waters, but if I had my own ponds, you could bet I would be managing them to grow big gills and to do that you have to harvest alot of fish as you described in a previous post.  Lakes, ponds, rivers, mud puddles whatever, a body of water can support only so many pounds of fish.  You have to have alot of things just right to grow big gills (food, water quality(temp, ph, oxygen), genes, predetor/prey relationships and the list goes on) and alot of lakes don't have everything in balance to grow 10 inch + fish.  Some lakes support an ungodly number of 7-8 inch fish while other lakes might have more 8-9 inch fish.  Making the assumption that just because you control the harvest on a lake with 8" gills with a limit of 25 giills, that lake will suddenly produce 10 inch gills is not based on anything but pure speculation.  Every lake is different, and if it were that easy, we would have a statewide limit on gills.

Offline Ice Hoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
FWFeecherman,

I for one appreciate you posting your opinion.  Along with everyone else for that matter.  This was a very educational discussion.  Some great posts.  Although your opinion may have been unpopular to some, it brought out a lot of great information.  Keep posting.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow wax worm..............  :o   I have always enjoyed your posts and the information you have shared.........I see you as a good fisherman and am impressed by your catches.  I am surprised you took such offense to me voicing my opinion.  Lets be clear about one thing if nothing else here:  Your level of misconception, or possible arrogance, that my thread was directed at you freaks me out.    ::)     My post had nothing to do with you or anyone on this site specifically for posting their big catches.  I said I enjoy reading and seeing others catch fish.  Please don't stop posting pics guys. Catch away!  Keep what you want (within DNR guidelines).  I am no biologist and don't know all the variables and things contributing to different lakes, ponds, reservoirs, having different populations and size fish.....    I was not speaking of anyone else on this site either.  I also was not speaking of people who go out with a group of friends and keep 100 fish between them..........I typically am out with 2 or 3 guys myself and they usually all outfish me (which is not hard to do  ;D) and we probably routinely put 100 fish on the ice between us.  I am not talking about that.  I am talking about the guy who I see out on the ice or talk with who has 100 fish themselves that day and then talk about they had been doing that every day all week.   I only see what they have when I am there so maybe they are full of it anyway, but this type of thing is what I was referring to........ not you Wax Worm, or you Flat Bob......

I did not see in the original post anything about the 'guy who catches 100 by himself and says he has been doing it everyday".  I along with alot of others must have missed that part of the post as to who you were speaking to.  What I read was a generalization that no one needs to keep more than what a meal or 2 consists of.  As for being arrogant, I think you will find that is about as far from reality as possible.  Ask those that have ACTUALLY MET me or fished with me.  Since I posted a thread of 142 fish that blue, slab and I caught on Saturday, I assumed your post was directed at me and others who have recently posted large catches.

As for "starting a thread being critical of anyone and everyone that does not follow some uninformed standand you deem as being law of the land."  Really??????  Being critical?????? I didn't say people had to follow what I thought.  I didn't say people were absolutely wrong for keeping fish?  I keep fish.  I have no say on the law of the land.  I know lakes need balance and that balance depends on the lake and many variables.  I only stated my concern for guys that don't take care of the resource.   As for being uninformed.........I consider myself a fisherman and an American so I have the right to voice my opinion whether you feel I am informed or not.  I have spoken with biologists and state officials from time to time and have never heard any of them ever NOT wanting people to care for the resources..........

Your opinion is/was that if you take more than enough fish to feed your family or give a few away you are 'brutalizing' the resouce.  Those are your words.  Therefore you are critisizing anyone who takes more than that....period.  No one said you did not have the right to state your opinon, that is what makes this country great.  Sometimes taking care of the resource requires removing substantial amounts of fish from a body of water so it can continue to produce keeper sized fish and not become a lake full of dinks.  That is why I said the big catches from me only come from 2 lakes that can handle it and need it.

As for people who catch fish for others to give them joy because they can't get the fish themselves for one reason or another, more power to you.  Thank you for doing those nice things!!!  I have no trouble with that either.   I have been in need many times and fellow fisherman have kept fish for me because I couldn't get out or needed the food.  Me and my family are very grateful for that generosity.  If your adding fish to your meal for your family that is awesome!!  Again, more power to you.

Agree on this point. 

I do have the right to express my opinion on this board and you can choose to take it or leave it, take it personal, or ignore it.......  I will continue to love to fish, keep fish when its appropriate, follow the regulations, and do my best to help take care of the resource.   Please keep catching, posting, and enjoying the sport.  I hope to continue to learn from the great fishermen on this site and I hope me having an opinion on something doesn't detour others from posting their good catches, small catches, skunks, or whatever else they feel like posting.

The right is yours, as is my right to state my opinion also.  Sometimes people have to agree to disagree.  I am never outside any regulations and have been known to call the poaching hotline when I see people that are.  I will keep posting and I hope you do as well.     

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who?  What?  Oh..... Fish.  Yea, i keep them at times.  Some do, some dont.  *shrugs*

Personally?  Fall and Spring for walleye.  Whatever i can get frozen, unless i already have some from the year before.

Winter for panfish.  Again, enough to last the year.

Fished the same 2 places for 15 years, and IMO, its only gotten better.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline softcraw

• IceShanty Rookie
 I hope nobody is being hypocritical here by saying you don't break regs. on limits . I know there is no daily limit or possession limit on gills , but remember , poss. is 2x daily limit on others .

Offline rattlemytrap

• IceShanty Rookie
FISH ON!! CATCH EM, CLEAN eM, STOCK EM AND EAT EM!!!!  :tipup: ahh man FISH ON...................!!!!!!!!

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
Private waters, you are at the mercy of who owns the water for knowledge of what to keep and what to toss back.  I don't fish private waters, but if I had my own ponds, you could bet I would be managing them to grow big gills and to do that you have to harvest alot of fish as you described in a previous post.  Lakes, ponds, rivers, mud puddles whatever, a body of water can support only so many pounds of fish.  You have to have alot of things just right to grow big gills (food, water quality(temp, ph, oxygen), genes, predetor/prey relationships and the list goes on) and alot of lakes don't have everything in balance to grow 10 inch + fish.  Some lakes support an ungodly number of 7-8 inch fish while other lakes might have more 8-9 inch fish.  Making the assumption that just because you control the harvest on a lake with 8" gills with a limit of 25 giills, that lake will suddenly produce 10 inch gills is not based on anything but pure speculation.  Every lake is different, and if it were that easy, we would have a statewide limit on gills.

Good info here, wax. The amount of fish a given body of water will support per acre is referred to as biomass. It encompasses all species of fish, everything that depends on the water for survival. Too much and the fish become stunted, (all species), and too little and they grow large but scarce. The trick, as you alluded too, is too find the happy medium between species within the allotable biomass. That's the hard part. The lake that A-bomb referred to earlier must surely have everything just right to be able to provide fish like that year after year. It can happen, I've seen a couple lakes like that in years past. When the biomass becomes too great for the body of water, mother nature steps in and takes over... usually in the form of a fish kill caused by lack of dissolved oxygen in the water. Not pretty, as the largest fish are the first to succumb. So keeping the numbers of Bluegill thinned down can definitely contribute to the health of the water, and the size of the fish. It is, as you said, necessary. However, I still advocate reducing the biomass by selectively removing the fish... females, and smaller males where bluegill are concerned. The largest size class of males should be returned to the water to hold the next larger class of males at bay.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
FWFeecherman,

I for one appreciate you posting your opinion.  Along with everyone else for that matter.  This was a very educational discussion.  Some great posts.  Although your opinion may have been unpopular to some, it brought out a lot of great information.  Keep posting.

FWFeecherman,

I have enjoyed this discussion also... but I think I owe you an apology for running MY mouth on YOUR thread... Sorry!!

Offline Gman64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It Cant Be Time To Go Home I Still Have Bait Left!
I have fished the same lake in wisconsin for almost 20 years it is nothing on a weekend to see over a thousand trucks on the ice and 2 TO 3 hundred on a weekday.  Even if everybody only takes half a limit per day the ammount of fish taken is mindblowing. I have never had a problem getting a limit sometimes in an hour sometimes in a days worth of fishing.I have seen a picture of 2 gills that were 12.5in from this year!!! No I did not catch them but they are there. I dont think short of commerical fishing a lake can be overfished by icefishing. Keep them if you are gonna eat them or give them to freinds or some guy on the street as long as they dont go to waste .

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
spk
so in that line of thinking...i yank the 10 incher off the bed and its replaced by an 8.5 inch male.  that fish is lucky enough to escape my hook and spawns.  the smaller 8.5 inch fish passes its DNA code to the eggs and so goes life.

my point....

DNA doesnt get better  or bigger over time. quite possible the 8.5 was an offspring and carries the same genetic code as the 10" gill i ate.

so whats was gained??
 how many spawns has the 10 incher had to pass on its code?
just thinking out loud...sorta ;D

i fish alot of small rural lakes and the best ones in the winter are the same ones with the most buggys in the summer. the carrying capacity of any lake not at its max levels can usually provide some outstanding fishing regardless of most pressure.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
FWFeecherman,

I have enjoyed this discussion also... but I think I owe you an apology for running MY mouth on YOUR thread... Sorry!!

No apology needed at all.  Your input and opinion is as valid as anyone else's.  

Wax worm and I may not agree on our points......and I respect him as a fellow fisherman, but I think we can all see that the most important thing is that him and I are both passionate about our sport and that only leads to a better outcome for the sport itself.  Thats what matters.  We have a great sport and the more people enjoying it and taking care of it, regardless of how they go about it, means more resources and enjoyment for future generations.  I only hope my young daughters can pick up this passion as well so they can carry it on.  

So to end the discussion somewhat........... catch and keep some, catch and release some, catch a bunch and keep them, catch a bunch and release all of them.....whatever your pleasure is take care of the resource however you can and don't be afraid to voice your opinion about the things you care about.  Its always better in the end.....

Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
spk
so in that line of thinking...i yank the 10 incher off the bed and its replaced by an 8.5 inch male.  that fish is lucky enough to escape my hook and spawns.  the smaller 8.5 inch fish passes its DNA code to the eggs and so goes life.

my point....

DNA doesnt get better  or bigger over time. quite possible the 8.5 was an offspring and carries the same genetic code as the 10" gill i ate.

so whats was gained??
 how many spawns has the 10 incher had to pass on its code?
just thinking out loud...sorta ;D

i fish alot of small rural lakes and the best ones in the winter are the same ones with the most buggys in the summer. the carrying capacity of any lake not at its max levels can usually provide some outstanding fishing regardless of most pressure.

Excellent point A-bomb!!  Here's how it was explained to me. Our human ancestors were a good deal hairier than we are now. the gene that caused that hairiness still exists within us all. The passage of time has rendered that gene inactive, for the most part, in all but a few individuals. it's the same thing with the bluegill. The further removed from the original source  the fish becomes, the less likely it is to achieve all of the potential of the original fish. I like to compare it to racehorses. If you could get the great grandson of the Kentucky derby winner to sire a horse for you, that would be great. But wouldn't it be better to have the old man himself? I think the odds of a winner are better that way!
I couldn't agree with you more about the buggys!  I have been told that excess food trumps good genetics everytime! I would rather pour the food to an average bluegill, than provide marginal food to one with the right pedigree!

Offline Biggs033

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorry to be the dumb one here, but with all this male and female gill talk, can someone please let me know the easiest way to tell the difference. Thanks!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.