Author Topic: Ice Fishing League Night  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
Ice Fishing League Night
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Fellas- In the summer, on Tuesdays, I play in a golf league and I used to be in bowling league. It is a fun excuse to get out with buddies during the week, have a beer, enjoy a sport we love and compete a little. We have a weekly prize pot for a weekly prizes that you kick in (optional) and keep a tally with a points system through the season to have a champion.

Would anyone be interested in something like this on the ice?

Maybe a 5 or 6 week league at a local lake; or on a chain like the valpo chain where it rotates weekly. Maybe everyone meets at a set time, say 5:30 or 6:00 after work and we fish until 8:30 or 9:00.

Everyone kick's in $20 in league dues at the beginning of the year and that money goes towards a Cabelas gift card to the overall winners. IE.. 15 guys = $300 to the champion, OR $200 to the champion and $100 runner up or however it is decided. Then weekly, a $5 pot much like a fishing derby to pay weekly prizes. (Based on 15 guys that might be $50 to the largest weight total per week, and $25 for big fish), but you don't have to get in the "weekly skins pot", it is optional.

Lots of formats to think about, maybe you weigh 3 gills and 3 crappies per week/per person and only your 3 biggest of each. Maybe it is sponsored by a local bar, where we can go for bowl of chili and a beer after?

It could be individual or 2 man teams.  It is not really so much about the prizes, more about the fun and something to look forward to one night a week after work.

Thoughts?

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
Re: Ice Fishing League Night
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I like the idea of having a set night of the week to meet up and fish but I'm not sure I'd want to worry about the prizes and money. It looks like we are going to have a ton of weekend events for that. How about just a Tuesday night gathering on a different lake each week that could be advertized on here? That way others could join as they can. I'll host the first one Tuesday Dec. 28th on Stone Lake in LaPorte. Hoping for safe ice by then, LOL. All that being said Yooper, if you want to organize the prize thing, I'd be in.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Crappie, I like your idea. Oh, Yupper I like yours also. I would be in. I think a different lake each time would be tight.

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Love the idea guys.  If people want to do this around the Warsaw/Columbia City area, I would be join.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:15 PM »
4 divisons.
NE angola area
NW pine lake area
NC wawasee
CENTRAL  summit/prarrie creek

Top 2 each region go to a "classic" to be anounced in Jan.
take 100.00 from each div to feed the classic/ championship pot.

Just a thought

hey i know who's above me!! ;D
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Love it... keep the ideas coming guys.. Maybe we can all meet someplace in the middle for coffee and talk about ideas. I know Bass Pro Ice Fishing weekend is Dec. 11 & 12th in Hobart. Maybe see a seminar, check out some gear, go the the restaurant and grab some lunch and chat..

Keep the ideas coming guys......

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:50 PM »
4 divisons.
NE angola area
NW pine lake area
NC wawasee
CENTRAL  summit/prarrie creek

Top 2 each region go to a "classic" to be anounced in Jan.

I like that idea a lot. Had this exact conversation with a guy this summer. The ones that win gas money go to the big fish off. If league nights are on different nights for each division guys could visit and compete in more than one division.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2010, 06:15 AM »
Any others interested in a Tuesday League(Or just a weekly outing)  in NWI?

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:44 AM »
I am interested in a Tuesday night league. AlgaeKiller and A-Bomb- both seem like pretty cool ideas for a regional type of thing.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I am and my brother probably would be also...but realistically we can only do it if it is set up into geographical regions like NE, NW, NC, etc. We are self employed and can get away but are limited to a degree.

But we are down!!!!

:icefish:

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:58 AM »
I am and my brother probably would be also...but realistically we can only do it if it is set up into geographical regions like NE, NW, NC, etc. We are self employed and can get away but are limited to a degree.

But we are down!!!!

I say if we get a few more people interested, and it looks like it has a chance at working, we set a target meeting time and date (Maybe Bass Pro Portage on the 11 or 12th Dec) as that is there ice fishing kickoff weekend. We could meet in one of the meeting rooms and go from there. This gives us a few weekends to plan and spread the word.

From my experience in other (non-fishing leagues) it is important to establish all of the parameters, rules, dates, etc in advance, otherwise with a large group of people and no rules it turns into a mess and never really happens. If we are going to set up regions, etc, it takes a little planning, but I think we already have some basic framework established.

I would say to address the money issue, we make it competitive for those who want to pay a $20 fee at the beginning and others can participate if they want, but not qualify for prizes. Weekly $5 or $6 contests (much like a skins pot in golf or a Prize pot in an Ice Derby) could be optional as well. This allows everyone to fish at their comfort level.

Thoughts?

Offline jimmycrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • live is good on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2010, 01:26 PM »
im in for it .and im sure some others from nw will be too

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:07 PM »
okay heres some thoughts:
wed nights 5:30-9
NW pine lake
NC wawasee
CN summit
NE to many lakes let them decide on one...lol

2 gils 2 crappie by length.
fish must be alive for weigh in.
all anglers "take off" and come back from the same point( no driving to the private pond)
an angler can only qualify in one divison.
from safe ice for 5 wks. set the final for late feb. Final will be on non qualifying water
20.00 per person sign up up front. 5.00 per event. 3.00 goes to weekly winner and 2.00 gets rolled into final fund.

10 guys @ 20.00= 200.00   plus from the 10 guys 2.00 x 5 weeks= 100.00
total for 10 guys= 300.00

100.00 goes to final and 200.00 payed out to 1st and second 60/40 (120.00 for 1st 80 for second)

final 8 guys ( 2 from each div) going for 400.00. winner takes all!
win it all based on 4 divisions each with 10 guys and and thats like 520.00 (plus a couple weekly 30.00) for 55.00!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:08 PM »
That is a BIG 10-4 THERE BUDDY.

Offline sbrown8020

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:22 PM »
A-bomb- you act like you have done some tournaments before  ;)

Love it.  I am in. 

Any fishing before 5:30pm would need to be at another lake?

Can likely get at least one more person from work in this as well.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Any fishing before 5:30pm would need to be at another lake?

i would say if your fishing an eve tourney the lake should be off limits that day.

there are 2 of us here interested...anyone else?

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2010, 06:38 PM »
sounds awesome...my brother and I will both signup for the NE region...so two more and in all honesty Wednesday night works the very best for us...if it is Tuesday I can't do it since my daughter plays high school sports and you know the saying...they are only young once!!! Out mother has a house on a lake that would be a good lake to fish(nice gills and crappies both) if we were to mix up lakes...possibly do a cookout before if it works - maybe year end event on a Saturday for extra long day for more fishing...who knows just thinking out loud!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:19 PM »
NW pine lake
NC wawasee
CN summit

all anglers "take off" and come back from the same point( no driving to the private pond)
from safe ice for 5 wks. set the final for late feb. Final will be on non qualifying water
20.00 per person sign up up front. 5.00 per event. 3.00 goes to weekly winner and 2.00 gets rolled into final fund.

100.00 goes to final and 200.00 payed out to 1st and second 60/40 (120.00 for 1st 80 for second)

win it all based on 4 divisions each with 10 guys and and thats like 520.00 (plus a couple weekly 30.00) for 55.00!

Is your proposal total length of 4 fish or only the longest of the 4?  If it is the length of a single fish, then you should go by weight.  Say someone catches one 14" crappie and no other fish.  He would beat someone with 2 8"gills and 2 10" crappie.  If you go by weight the rightful person would win.  Fish can easily be weighed with a hand held scale most bass fishermen already have.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
8+8+10+10=36"  beats  10"= 10"
step away from the fly tying glue!!!!!  LOL!!

total length..
single fish would be by weight to be fair. total length rewards the guy who can get 2 species that don't always share the same water. it would be up to who ever puts it on. i'm just throwing out ideas!
sounds like you like the weight ...

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:27 PM »
We've gone by length the last couple years for our Shanty Shootouts and more than once we've had ties in the bluegill category measuring to the sixteenth of an inch as meticulously as possible. In all instances we've split the money and points rather than try to weight them. You would need scales that measure to the ounce if not to the fraction of an ounce to determine a clear winner.  Biggest issue when money is involved is money is involved. We had a three way partnership last year with one guy taking the money, one guy holding the money and one guy keeping the records and we still had issues amongst ourselves and amongst participants. Keep it cheap and it will stay fun. Just my couple pennies for whatever that's worth.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:53 PM »
8+8+10+10=36"  beats  10"= 10"
step away from the fly tying glue!!!!!  LOL!!

total length..
single fish would be by weight to be fair. total length rewards the guy who can get 2 species that don't always share the same water. it would be up to who ever puts it on. i'm just throwing out ideas!
sounds like you like the weight ...

I prefer weight, but if you are adding all 4 fish lengths it does not matter as much, except for the point that Algaekiller makes about alot of fish being the same length down to 1/16th of an inch. 

The other issue I see with Wawasee is its size and limited access points.  In 3-4 hours it would be hard to get very far from the public access to any decent fishing areas unless you had a 4 wheeler or snowmobile.  A smaller lake with both gills and crappie might be a better choice for NC Indiana.  Not sure what lake that would be.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:14 PM »
NW pine lake
NC wawasee
CN summit

I like this, it is alot of what I was thinking when I started the thread. I do think it is better to go by weight, as then there is not "interpretation", everyone goes off of the same scale.

In terms of prizes I say we try to pay 1,2, and 3. 3 gets $ back and we split the remaining pot between 1st and 2nd at 65% 35% or something like that...If we have alot of guys (20+), maybe we pay the top 5.

I like pine and Stone for NW or maybe even valpo....

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Here is another way to structure the 4 divisions and championship.

Lets say to make math easy each of the 4 divisions has 15 guys at $20/guy.

$15 of the entry could go to pay division prizes for the year and $5 could go to an open championship in which everyone in the league (all 4 divisions) are invited.

That way if someone misses a week or has a few bad days, they still have a chance to win a few bucks at the championship and the guys who win their divisions are rewarded too. Turns into a nice little event.

Here is the Math:

15 guys/division x $20 each= $300
$15 of that per person stays within the division to pay the division 1st/2nd place.
$5 goes toward the end of the year championship

This leaves $225 for division prizes and $75 carries to the championship in which everyone can compete.

$75 x 4 divisons would be $300 in prizes at the Championship. (Assuming 4 divsions, w/15 guys ea)

Each division could vote on their league night (I like Monday or Tuesday, nothing usually happening) then have 4 or 5 weeks of league, with a championship party on a Saturday someplace neutral.  5:30 to 8:30 fishing, with about a half hour for weigh ins.

Here is another way to decide the championship site... The league/division that has the most guys will host it at their home lake? This encourages guys to recruit other guys?

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2010, 06:00 AM »
Yooper, you seem to be the leader on thisd(it was your idea!) and I'd say you decide how it's going to be. I doubt we are going to be able to get together for a meeting across all the regions. There could be leaders in each region who volunteer to coordinate each region.  I've be up for Stone/Pine or the Valpo Chain for the NW. I'd be available for Monday or Tues. I already have my spot on Flint picked out!! LOL!! It's fun to fish with a group and I look forward to it. Come on ice!! I like the KISS principle-Keep It Simple Stupid.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2010, 08:08 AM »
One thing I could do is put a "Rules" Sheet together and send it out for suggestions?

We have to know going in that it will be impossible to make "everyone" happy with rules (I have seen this in every golf and bowling league I've been in) , but as long as everyone remembers the goal is to get together once a week, and have some fun, and give everyone something to look forward too one night a week during the winter, then we will be fine. I think the name of the game will be to give it some structure but also keep it simple. ( I agree Mike)  KISS>

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to get things rolling?

Once we get the rules together.... then the smack talk can begin  ;D

Is everyone in favor of individual leagues, or finding a partner for two man leagues?

Offline mschma000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Im in!  Could probably get another person or two involved....

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Im in!  Could probably get another person or two involved....

Sweet. Pine and Stone aren't too far for you guys.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:46 AM »
I'd say keep it an individual not a pair, that will complicate it and if someone wants to join then it will put a barrier up. I do wonder if we should just have guys gather this year on a weeklly basis and wait on the money part til we prove we can do it? But I'll do what the group wants. I would say a local group could wait and decide what lake to go to on a weekly basis based on ice conditions and reports or just to move around for some vareity. Then the location could be announced on here. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline perchching

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Im interested in something around valpo area but work shift work. I would be able to make 2 of every three weeks.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I'd say keep it an individual not a pair, that will complicate it and if someone wants to join then it will put a barrier up. I do wonder if we should just have guys gather this year on a weeklly basis and wait on the money part til we prove we can do it? But I'll do what the group wants. I would say a local group could wait and decide what lake to go to on a weekly basis based on ice conditions and reports or just to move around for some vareity. Then the location could be announced on here. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Agree on the individual. I say in terms of money, some guys might like it, some won't. I say we leave it to a vote and if it is a money league, we still of course make it an option to participate but just not be a part of the prizes. Just my thoughts.

With a league like this, I think the democratic way is the best way to make decisions on anything where opinions are differing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.