Author Topic: What is too close?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Re: What is too close?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I Know a guy that had a hot hole he wanted all to himself the next day.  So he took a big dump beside it as he left that evening, The next day there wasn't anyone within a hundred feet of him. I won't mention any names ( Terry Janes ) The Summit swimmer from last year !!!   LOL

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:41 PM »
I Know a guy that had a hot hole he wanted all to himself the next day.  So he took a big dump beside it as he left that evening, The next day there wasn't anyone within a hundred feet of him. I won't mention any names ( Terry Janes ) The Summit swimmer from last year !!!   LOL

Hmmm... I saw his "mark" out on Summit this weekend.  :)

-Jeff

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:25 PM »

That is clever thinking.  I just might have to try that.  Thanks for the idea.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Harley Hogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:28 PM »
do it without toilet paper then go shak everybodies hand .

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:13 AM »
people i know i dont say to much, but guys that come out to where ur fishin , after u have drilled a few holes an worked up a sweat, they start fishin the holes u drilled. an never drilled or even touched there auger. that ticks me. what really gets me is when ur runnin the power auger an drill say 20 holes an ur catchin fish, an u look up an someone is in a fresh hole that u have not even checked yet.
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:16 AM »
do it without toilet paper then go shak everybodies hand .
The ARAB SHAKE

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:22 AM »

I've heard of dogs marking their territory   ;D  I've come across hole markers (not the terry kind) left by people to find their hole another day...and being mischevious will remove them and toss into the "dont laugh" sled.  Sometimes you come across a baca chewer and can generally tell how the fishing was from the amout of mess left on the ice.  Can't remove those markers, nor would touch the Terry kind..... :o

Offline jedifick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:08 AM »

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:40 AM »
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline blgoose44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I am always in a hut, so if i drill a few extra sets, and I am in an area where other people will come fish my holes, I will put a tip up in there. People will give it space, you don't need to bait it. Only place I see this needs to be done for me is the "pocket" at Bass Lake.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I seen a spot like Terry makes at the Slough on the walk out-does he get around or what?  LMAO
I never thought of it as a marker or for a chumer either-lol
Tom

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:53 PM »
people i know i dont say to much, but guys that come out to where ur fishin , after u have drilled a few holes an worked up a sweat, they start fishin the holes u drilled. an never drilled or even touched there auger. that ticks me. what really gets me is when ur runnin the power auger an drill say 20 holes an ur catchin fish, an u look up an someone is in a fresh hole that u have not even checked yet.

i hear yah.       

Jp, icemachiner and i were sight fishing last year sitting in a triangle formation about 10' max. between our 3 shanties and some guy, who pretty much had to turn sideways to get himself and his bucket between  two of our shanties, walked in the middle of our formation and drilled a hole and sat down. He couldn't have been 6' from any one of us.....needless to say that was too close so JP ran him off. i usually don't mind someone fairly close if i am on a common hole, but that was over the line, as he could barely even get in there.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Anything inside of 100 yards is too close. Cry
Are you kidding me? ???

X2!  If it's really crowded out there, then I think 15' is acceptable in some cases.

All they want to do is talk, bull**censored**, tell me their life story, and tell me other lakes I should have gone to because they have caught 21 inch crappie and buckets full of 10 -12 inch bluegill.

Yet, for some strange reason, those people never seem to take any pictures of said fish.   :whistle:
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline fishyeager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:13 PM »
My son and I were fishing last Sunday and my son had 6 nice crappie laying beside him on the ice. Of course I made the move on top of him to bust out some crappie. This other dude came out and started drilling holes within 5 feet of where we were fishing. At first I had some bad thoughts running through my head - but- the bite stayed on and we ended up having a good time fishing next to the guy. I guess it all depends on the person who drops in on your spot.

Offline j.mongo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:28 AM »
I went to the same spot and had another guy do the same thing.I think they see my fish and try to get in close.Wait 15 minutes and try the other side.What i think they are missing is when they drill the holes the fish scatter.And if they would give it awhile they would move back in.I had several an inch from biting when the guy started to drill and ran them off.If ya see a guy kick a bucket out from under someone that is too close.That will prolly be me! 8)Mongo

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:17 PM »
I have been reading the posts on here and enjoying them.  Then it finally happened last Wed. to my buddy and myself.  Only 3 other people on the ice when we walked out and they were 350ft away from us.  We had the first 2 holes drilled and one fish up when the guy walked all the way over to fish beside us.  He just started talking and asked to drill a hole 10ft from us.  We said ok.  After we each had 6 or 7 more gills on the ice in 4 minutes, the guy came over closer.  He asked again if he could drill a hole by us and before we could reply he started drilling 4ft. from us. He talked the whole time.  We used our code system in telling each other where we were getting them off the bottom.  What topped it off is when he got on his cell to call his buddy to come over walking 25 FT. away so we couldn't hear.  In response to their rudeness we had 20 fish on the ice apiece before they caught the first one.  They finally left.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:25 PM »
You guys should have responded by drilling several holes in a 2' radius around him until he has sitting on a free chunk of ice.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Well it happened to me on Wednesday and I wasn't to happy to say the least.  Bret and I hit the channel and we were the only two there.  Then a guy comes out and started drilling holes between our sleds that were probably not 10' apart!  We had other holes opened around us that we were hopping too but he parked it on top of us!  The whole channel and he decides to sit in our back pocket!  I really don't understand the reasoning behind it.  And then to top it off he starts fishing in our holes also!  Then another guy comes out and drills about 2 holes 30yds from us, sets his auger down, and walks down to do the same thing as the other guy.....he fishes in our back pocket!  He wanted his holes to rest a few since he just drilled them.  They had the whole channel but had to be all over us!  I guess the funny thing was.....we weren't catching crap!  I'm ready for some main lake fishing because this channel stuff is getting really old. 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Someone need to write a book about Ice Fishing Etiquette! Seems like the right thing to do. Gee I'm laid-off right now and I am typing this on a laptop, hmmmmmm............... ::)
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:00 AM »
I heard this yesterday, at my local bait shop. I know the guy, but dont really know the guy. Anyhow....hes fishin, dude walks up and starts drillin 5 feet from him. He asks WTH are ya doin? He said "I was catchin fish here yesterday", and keeps drillin. This guy says not today you aint... They start to argue for a split second and BAM, the guy drillin is knocked out, one punch....laid out on the ice. I was told he had kids with him, teenage kids. Thats all the news I recieved...  :o :o :whistle: :nono:

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:48 PM »
He...He...He...He...He ...He...... ;D
Fish on!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:07 PM »
I heard this yesterday, at my local bait shop. I know the guy, but dont really know the guy. Anyhow....hes fishin, dude walks up and starts drillin 5 feet from him. He asks WTH are ya doin? He said "I was catchin fish here yesterday", and keeps drillin. This guy says not today you aint... They start to argue for a split second and BAM, the guy drillin is knocked out, one punch....laid out on the ice. I was told he had kids with him, teenage kids. Thats all the news I recieved...  :o :o :whistle: :nono:

then the rest of the story...
the guys kid calls the cop and the idiot slugger is drug off the ice on a sat and waits till his monday court time..MONDAY ....he gets slapped with an assult charge and bail is set at 2k...his temper has gotten him in trouble before. now he misses a couple days work and for what???   just wanting to "mark his spot or press a pointless point!!

if you fish on public water you just have to deal with it.  i had a guy driveing  his 4 wheeler around looking for break lines weaving in and out of our group..yep thats joe public.  i know him but dont like him...but deal with them.
if you don't want to deal with them just fish private spots.  i am not condoning the spudders actions but really ...is it worth it?
just put your head down and soon they will leave...if not i will! plenty of places around.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:34 PM »
i agree there is no reason to go to jail for an ice hole or "your" spot ...all i know is if someone tried to "kick my bucket out from under me" i am prepared to defend myself against any personal assault meaning you nver know what is strapped to my belt. you never know what a person is capable of .. i am an emt/paramedic and i see EVERYDAY what people do to each other

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:10 PM »
I teach 5th grade and this stuff sounds like stuff my 5th graders would do on the playground.  No fish is worth this!!!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:23 PM »
I still don't see the big deal of someone fishing close to me as long as they aren't loud and obnoxious hard on their feet scaring fish away.  The thing that annoys me is when people bring their kids out with hockey skates on and they skate all over the place and fall constantly on the ice in the area I am fishing. 

I am sure there are times when holes being drilled scares fish, but I sometimes think it turns the fish on.  I don't know how many times I followed behind someone drilling with a gas auger and immediately caught fish out of the hole without letting it rest.  This year early ice there were 4 of us fishing a small area no more than 10 x 10, every time the other guy would start drilling a hole I would immediately get a bite.

The more people you have the better chances you have of dialing in on what the fish want, and you have help to locate moving fish when it is time to drill and search.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:43 AM »
I was on a pretty big lake.Maybe eight people fishing.I handled it by sliding out a ten inch redear for him to look at!! ;D

Don't think I would have done that. He may have just fished there a little bit then left. But showing him a 10 incher only incouraged him to stay longer. If he had drilled a hole that close it probably would of bothered me. But since the hole was already there and he probably had no idea who drilled it. I wouldn't of cared as long as he was quiet. Lots of people jump around, fish one hole 10-20 min then go to the next.

The trny I was at Sat, rules stated you could not get any closer than 5 ft. I personally would not invade someones fishing area that close, 20ft is about as close as I would get. Also, the spot you're fishing may be the spot that guy has fished for years. Especially if he has it marked on his GPS. So in his eyes you invaded what he thinks is his spot, which its not.

I fish for the fun of it, to get away from everyday life. We don't own the public lakes, some people think they do and they can get real rednecked about it, like the guy who sluged the guy and got arrested. If I cut a hole, fish it and leave it. Its fair game for anyone else to fish, I don't own it. Also If you setup to fish a area that has allot of old holes. You can expect people to come to that spot and fish close. Thats just icefishing. If you don't want anyone close, then fish a spot away from the heavy fished areas.

The one thing that does bother me, is if I start catching fish and someone runs right over and drills close. That bothers me. Thats why I like to use a shanty, no one knows if I am.

Bottom line, if someone moves close enough to me where our lines can get tangled if one of us catch a fish, then I'm peod.  Thats why I like to fish during the week when its not so crowded.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:51 AM »

So writing your name in the snow doesn't work as good as dumping?.........LMAO.....It would be my luck a DNR officer would catch me making a deposit on the ice and arrest me for littering......

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:05 AM »

........I am sure there are times when holes being drilled scares fish, but I sometimes think it turns the fish on...........

I aggree, how many times have you sat on your can. Not a bite or nibble, then a couple guys come walking your way and right before or soon after they pass you, you get a bite.... Sometimes noise can wake them up, or the guys walking towards you chase fish in your direction.

I remember back in the 60's, when gramps used to take me. We all fished in a tight group and if no one was getting a bite. Someone would get up and make a BIG CIRCLE around us, stomping his feet as he walked. Sure enough, someone would catch a fish......So noise can wake up the fish or push fish towards you.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Im with Abomb as far as not worth going to jail. But if it went the way that I heard it, then the guy deserved to have his a$5 popped. If someone is already fishing a spot that you normally fish, then they beat you out plain and simple. You shouldnt have to ask whats too close, just by common sense, you should know how much space to give people. Ive had to walk away from a few situations ,usually garbage related. The moral of the story for me was that its a shame that you cant dish out an honest well deserved a$% whooping anymore without someone calling the cops or threatening to sue you. Its just the way it is.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I'm telling you guys there needs to be a book! With stick people illustrations of course!
People don't care anymore. My wife is a teacher and everything right now points the finger at teachers. Wrong! Take a look at the parents lack of , and yes this is our future generation!
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.