48 (77.4%)
Tent
6 (9.7%)
Cabin
7 (11.3%)
Other
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Flip Over vs. Tent vs. Cabin Style  (Read 2489 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Flip Over vs. Tent vs. Cabin Style
« on: Nov 20, 2008, 10:31 AM »
I see there is a good mix of people who use each of the above styles, I never saw the bennefit to a tent style shelter, and it made me wonder what everyone else used and why

I have owned a Cabin style shelter and a flip-over, I much perfer the flip-over, as the set-up is quick and easy even in the wind, the cabin I had to fight on occasion...

Dont forget to tell us why you perfer this style over the others

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Flip Over vs. Tent vs. Cabin Style
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Went to a flip-over, large 3-man, from a cabin (6X8).  I liked the room/comfort of the cabin but not the lack of "portability". So I purchased a large flip-over which I feel will be roomy and comfortable (it's an insulated fabric model) and easy, for me, to move around the lake.  I don't go out, any longer, until there is 8" or more ice and use an ATV so the weight is not an issue.  My personal preferences (I like comfort on the ice)  ;D

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2008, 10:49 AM »
I like the flip over style for ease of moving from spot to spot, just throw everything in and go. But I might be thinking of trying to trade for a suitcase style for storage reasons. BTW I have a Fish Trap 2 and a Pak Shack.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2008, 11:00 AM »
Just got a tent this year, first fully enclosed shelter I've had on the ice. I have a windbreak/ box that I built that works good to break the wind, but thought I'd get an enclosed shelter this year for the warmth.  don't think I'll spend much time in it since I'm usually wondering around checking deadsticks, re-baiting, clearing holes, pulling fish out like crazy.  I dont like the confines of a shelter much.  I just got the tent cause it was super cheap, compaird to a flip over, or cabin.  I do like the easy setup of a flip over, but can't shell out that much cash on something I'll rarely use.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2008, 11:13 AM »
I use a single flip over.  I am often moving around a bunch. I can go to another hole and we back fishing in under 30 seconds.  I also don't have a snow machine or an ATV so I want the lightest shelter i can get.  I also usually fish alone and If i don't all my regular buddies all have single flip overs too. 

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I just got back into Ice fishing last year since I was a kid and fished a couple of times with a buddy that had a flip over style...I liked the ease of use and portability so much I bought an Eskimo QuickflipII 2 weeks ago....just waiting for ice!

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2008, 12:27 PM »
I have a scout,yukon,cabelas cabin style. Im in the process of trying to sell the yukon to buy a tent style. I like the room/comfort of the yukon but it is heavy when its loaded down. I fish the scout the most.The cabelas shanty Im holding on to until I find someone who wants to get into ice fishing and doesnt have extra money for a shanty.
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:16 PM »
I'm going the tent route (ice cube under the Xmas tree) my biggest reason is my car, I drive a little Aveo and there ain't much room for kit. You can get a whole lot more room in a tent style for 1/2 the money than a flip over
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Have an old (15+ yrs) Manta tent that my Dad gave me, it takes some time and strategy to set up in the wind, but it packs up nice and small and light for traveling and it has tons of room inside. Next winter I think I'll have a Fish Trap Pro under the Christmas tree though, I can definitely see the benefit of the quick set-up and ease of moving holes.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I have 2 flipovers and a cabin style.  I prefer the flipovers for their maneuverability and the tub feature.  But the cabins get the job done as well; you just have to pack differently.  Any thing beats sitting out in the cold!

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:10 PM »
I like the flip over for the ease of moving. I have a Fish Trap Pro and since we move a lot when we're on the ice I really enjoy it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I have tried them all, and my Fish Trap Voyager beats them all by leaps and bounds!

It is HUGE, I can move in the blink of an eye, and it is easy to deal with in the wind. :)

Flip for me!!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I have to say that other than the flasher, a flipover style is one of those "must have" items.  You can move fast, pack up most of what you need, & hide from others so they can't see how you are doing & drill 2' away from you!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2008, 11:20 AM »
If it was just me I'd be using the flipover almost exclusively. But for the sake of buying me more time on the ice it's the trusty old Shappell DX3000. It keeps me and my wife warm, fits all of our cameras and the flasher, and I've gotten very fast with it's set up and teardown. The skiis make it very easy to pull when ice is too thin for the quad.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I have had them all and I have to say, the flip over is my favorite, by far.  It's fast and you can put everything away while you are still in it, then just flip it over and go.  Nothing freezes the fingers faster than packing up.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I have a cabin style and flip over. The cabin style gets aired out every year, but hardly used. The flip over is used a lot. I wouldn't give up my flip over for anything. The cabin style one, I would.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:56 PM »
I like my otter village it is huge! 6 x 12  lots of space 1/2 for me sled in the middle and the other side for the kid to play or another person to use!  comfy!   lots of room weight really isnt an issue as it is pulled by the skidoo
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2008, 05:27 PM »
i like the flipovers for being mobile (but i still have an old 4X6 suitcase) but ideally i like a big 'ol hardside.  go out in the portable or with a chair durring the day, but head back to the hardside at night.

i like to be serious about catching fish for a while, but in the end im out there to relax and have a good time.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I started with a Frabill Triplex which is a 3 man flip over.  It had a ton of room but also was hard to move around by yourself.  Just too big.  I sold it a bought a Fish Trap Pro which is quickly becoming my favorite piece of ice equipment.  It goes with me no matter what the weather is.  It can be warm out and I'll take it just so I can have the seat and all my stuff fits in it so well.  Even if I don't flip it over it is awesome to fish out of.  2 things I don't like about it are 1. It is hard to get it in the truck by myself.  2. It is hard to use 2 lines when it is flipped over.  Just not quite enough room in it for that.  Works perfectly for 1 jig rod though.

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:18 AM »
flipover fish pro II was good investment. take along two boat seat cushions to rest my feet on since it is an ice floor. also good for kneeling on when checking tipups!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:26 PM »
it's the Flip Top for me..  I have a cat. heater on a six lb. tank, a Vex and everything transports great.  Oh yeah, I got a pair of short down hill skis at a rummage and it makes a world of difference pulling it over the snow.
Shut up and fish.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:20 PM »
G/f found a SouthBend/Polaris on clearence at Sports Authority have to use a folding chair in it but not bad for $30. I don't use iyt as often as I like I've found it scares the fish when its dragged around. When it crapps out Pakshak next.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:35 PM »
I had to vote for the flip over.  I have a 2 man fish trap and 1 man scout.  I do alot of hole hopping and moving around the lake when chasing gills.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Fish Trap Pro, mobility!

Wicked_1, I made a sled(14"high) for my Pro for deeper snow and for loading/unloading from the truck.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=17919.60
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.