Author Topic: Otter, Frabill, clam  (Read 9379 times)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
Otter, Frabill, clam
« on: Nov 08, 2008, 09:16 PM »
just wondering, what you all prefer and why?  thanks and FISH-ON
Live Free Or Die.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: Otter, Frabill, clam
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2008, 09:19 PM »
I prefer the Clam Scout and Frabill Outback because.... well, that's what I have!

No experience with the others.  Heck, no experience with the Scout either, as I just received it!!

Jeff

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:14 PM »
I bought an Otter Pro small cottage last year and have no regrets.With minimal bracing it holds up in the wind much better than my older Eskimo Traveler.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:45 PM »
I think that for a one man portable,  Fish Trap Pro is the way to go.  I had mine for 5 years and it's been holding up very well,  it's is pretty light, it has a nice sled and the seat is pretty comfortable.   It's more expensive than the cheaper knock offs,  but I have not heard of guys complaining about their fabric cracking on these.  The fabric is not water proof so need to spray it with that silicone stuff,  but I keep forgetting every year.  I think this topic comes up every year,  so I'm sure there is a bunch of reviews about it in the archives.  It's like that never ending argument about Vex vs Marcum   .....  ;D

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2008, 07:15 AM »
never really used anything other than my clam was looking into buying one of the new frabill houses as I like the nice seats and the room that is inside

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Da Jig:

I own a Fish Trap Guide, Otter Cabin and Cabela's Deluxe.  All have worked well with no complaints. 

I opted for the Guide over the Scout or Pro for a "one man" for the extra room.  Also if someone stops by they can take a seat. 

The Otter is the best built by far (although at the expense of additional weight).  This became "part of the family" due to a great deal after contacting Otter directly.

Cabela's Deluxe was our first shanty and is used mainly when we are staying put and targeting pike (tip ups).

Final thought:  If I was just starting out and was going to buy just one (and typically do not fish alone),  I would look seriously at the Fish Trap Yukon as it has more head room than the Guide and is very comfortable for two.  Abit more money than the Guide, but IMO..........worth it.

Good luck this season.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I'm going into my fourth season with my Frabill XL Twin and it has been great for me. Enough room and very comfortable seats.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:15 AM »
What are measurements of the Yukon sled (LxWxH)? Thanks.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:26 AM »
What are measurements of the Yukon sled (LxWxH)? Thanks.
86 inches x 65 inches....70 inch center height.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Vexilar Prowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They re always where ya find em!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Clam fish trap pro if you are fishing by yourself.  There is plenty of room and it doesnt weigh that much.  On early ice i pull mine around by hand across lakes with all my gear in it and it works great!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2008, 06:50 PM »
I've got an Eskimo Lodge & it sucked to put up and take down. Great for room and a base camp. But when that is all I had we really never moved once because it was such a problem to move. Just bought a Voyager Fish Trap that holds 3 people and think that I will like it quite a bit. With the quick flip over for setup and the sled beneth the seats, I think I'll move quite a bit more then in the past since it won't be as big of a problem. Hopefully that will contribute to better sucess on the ice.

I guess the one thing I would tell you is to look for a sled that is easy to move & setup/take down. In the past one of the biggest decisions for us was wheather or not to move when the fish didn't bite, since it was a really pain to move. Now with the flipover and a wheeler, I think we'll move untill we find fish. With the lodge style houses you need to pull a sled for gear, pull the shack, and when you get the shack up then you put your gear in it. Takes about 15-20 min. for us, now with the flip it will be a quick deal.

On another note, I decided on the Clam fish trap flip overs since they seem to be a very large name brand. Parts and accessories seem to be easier to find for the fish trap. I really like that I could fit three seats in the Voyager, or take one out and put in a center counsel to hold drinks and stuff. My eskimo lodge was hard to find parts for.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2008, 08:43 AM »
For parts on an Eskimo you just contact Ardisam.com direct. They are located in Cumberland, WI. I purchased my Eskimo QuickFlip III 3-4 yrs ago through a store on e-bay that was in Cumberland. It was a returned shack but had very little problems except a very small hole up in a corner. I contacted the store and within 2 weeks the manufacture was the one that sent me a patch kit at no charge. Ardisam makes more than just Augers and shacks. They also make treestands, Tillers, earth augers ect. I have had people tell me they are very strict on there products for the quality they put out the door. So Eskimo does make flip style shacks also. Mine I can stand up in and I am 6'6" with ease. I get so sick of hearing people just buy Clam because they are so huge and every one has them. I know they are a decent schack. One thing they spend so much money on advertisement thru the ice team so every one else thinks they have to have one then. I feel there are just as high quality in other shacks for way less the cash to buy them. I am sure a few of you will rip me for this but this is just how I feel on this subject. I am sure that most people don't get to see the Eskimo shacks since the Clam, Frabill, Otter are pretty much the ones stores seem to carry the most in that order.

Just my thoughts

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2008, 09:01 AM »
I have an Otter Den my dad has a PT Pro that I bought for him and assembled. Overall the Otter is built tougher especially the sled and poles. I actually like the Clam material a little better than the otter however they both work great. The Otter was easier to set the tent up on because of the trim on the skirting of the Otter. I still used bolts on the Otter though because the plastic trim would pop off from time to time. Both sleds pull about the same when weighed down equally. I've never owned a Frabill however I have fiddled with them in the store and sat in them. Frabills are nice shelters however the sled is still not as tough as the Otter sled. Best thing to do IMO if your torn between models is try to find one in the store to sit in and feel up. ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2008, 09:49 AM »
For parts on an Eskimo you just contact Ardisam.com direct. They are located in Cumberland, WI. I purchased my Eskimo QuickFlip III 3-4 yrs ago through a store on e-bay that was in Cumberland. It was a returned shack but had very little problems except a very small hole up in a corner. I contacted the store and within 2 weeks the manufacture was the one that sent me a patch kit at no charge. Ardisam makes more than just Augers and shacks. They also make treestands, Tillers, earth augers ect. I have had people tell me they are very strict on there products for the quality they put out the door. So Eskimo does make flip style shacks also. Mine I can stand up in and I am 6'6" with ease. I get so sick of hearing people just buy Clam because they are so huge and every one has them. I know they are a decent schack. One thing they spend so much money on advertisement thru the ice team so every one else thinks they have to have one then. I feel there are just as high quality in other shacks for way less the cash to buy them. I am sure a few of you will rip me for this but this is just how I feel on this subject. I am sure that most people don't get to see the Eskimo shacks since the Clam, Frabill, Otter are pretty much the ones stores seem to carry the most in that order.

Just my thoughts

My point exactly, since these products are the main ones that are carried in stores parts are easier to come by. Don't get me wrong eskimo as some really great products, but in NW Iowa not much is around for Eskimo stuff, it's all Clam.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:26 PM »
I guess when it comes down to parts. What stores actually carry that many parts for a shack that do not need to be ordered. I havn't seen a store yet that has replacement poles or covers at least not in my area. You either go to the store and have them order it for you and probably make 2 trips there and back. Or you just go on-line or call and take care of it yourself through there customer service. So I figure all together they would be the same way on whichever company you went with a shack.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Well,

Last I checked, Scheels carried a few replacement canvas covers for some fish traps. The connector attachment for between two fish traps. The center counsel that can be put in a fishtrap. Canvas patches that match the blue color. tow hitches for the sleds, & replacement sleds. U r right though they don't carry every pole.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Yes I do agree that the larger stores may carry a few more items and espesially the sporting places that do multiple sports gear. But it also seems like they only want to carry the top named items or brands. And at the same time Sheels is not the cheapest around either. We have one in Eau Claire about 30 miles away and I don't buy much there since most stuff I can find cheaper some where else or don't really need it for the price they are asking. Pretty much comes down to do I need it or just want it.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I've got the Otter Perch. Its a Great shelter, comfortable, very well made, very sturdy. Only down side is it's a bear to pull. For a very roomy one man it pulls heavy. A friend of mine has the Frabill Magnum that weighs literally twice as much as mine, but with the ski design they have it pulls easier than my Otter. It's ok I gt a great price last year from Otter's clearance site.

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2008, 11:17 AM »
I am anxious to hear what people who bought this years'  Frabils think of them.  I own a Trap guide, but I after seeing the new Frabils - I would certainly like to hear the pros and cons.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2008, 11:23 AM »
I am anxious to hear what people who bought this years'  Frabils think of them.  I own a Trap guide, but I after seeing the new Frabils - I would certainly like to hear the pros and cons.
I purchased a new, 2008 model (on sale) Fabrill R2TEC just a few weeks ago.  I put it together and am impressed with the workmanship and design.  Especially the "GlideTrax" sled - it looks like it's going to tow behind my wheeler like a dream.  The system sets up smoothly and quickly with gobs of room (I got the model 300).  I just hope it performs on the ice like it's supposed to.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2008, 04:11 PM »

Just my thoughts

I just bought a QuickFlipII on Ebay from the same store your talking about...they said it was either a factory second or a return...It was a pretty decent price so I pulled the trigger and will get it next Thursday.  How do you like your QuickFlipIII? 

Incedentally I bought an Eskimo QuickFishII Last week (before I saw the QuickFlip) for $100 (new last year and used 3 times)  I think I will keep it for a season and at least try it once and see if I like it...or sell it this year and use the cash from that and buy a new auger  ???

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I personnally think you will like it. I went with the QuickflipIII just because I had a buddy who had the II and I felt that if I were to take my kids I wanted it a little bigger.

Where are you from.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Sparta,  I'm just getting back into ice fishing since I was a kid so I am getting all my gear together.  I bought a Showdown, some Beaver Dam tipups and some other stuff last year so this is Auger/shelter year...and you?

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2008, 06:10 PM »
You will have it all in no time.   Also there is the st paul ice fishing show coming up the weekend of the 5th-7th If i'm correct. It may be worth the trip for you to see all that is out there for ice fishing. Check out some seminars. I have gone the last 2 years and trying to go this year also, but have to work that weekend. Trying for some vacation possibly that sat or sunday.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2008, 06:35 PM »
Yup, the same group we had ice fishing on Winibigoshish (no clue on spelling that) last february is going to go to the show on the 6th....looking forward to it.  Maybe I'll find a deal on an auger or a heater for the quickflip.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2008, 06:55 PM »
i have some one of the frabill ones, few years old, the sled drags horribly. if it were lightly to moderately loaded and there were a large jet sled loaded 2x as heavy the jet sled almost definitely would drag easier. maybe the new ones are better but i'm in the process of making my own so that it'll fit in snowshoe tracks, better sled design, and make long hauls easier. without a quad or snowmobile it can be hard to go way out, if your sled drags well then it's much easier. i do have a small otter sled and think the curve on the front is too drastic and makes dragging more difficult than it could be. i like the looks of the clam sleds and all the best.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I have a Fishtrap Guide for when I run and gun, and a Clam 5600 for when I set up in an area.  The Guide is my normal go to shanty; the 5600 when kids/dogs/BBQs are involved (love the insulated floor).  The 5600 is also good for a remote warmup/storage shack when we have tipups scattered over long distances like at Fort Peck.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2008, 04:30 PM »

I just got the Trekker II a few weeks ago.  Went together easy and is fairly light.  The seats are not too bad as is, but do look easy to modify (boat seat) if need be.  Looking forward to using it.

I have had a Scout (and still do) for years now, but my 3 year old is going to be tagging along with me soon, so I had to get a bigger one.   ;)
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:35 PM »
I have the Yukon and it is nice to be able to stand up and stretch.I fish with my two boys and there is plenty of room!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.