Author Topic: Misc Storage  (Read 4343 times)

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
Misc Storage
« on: Nov 08, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Dudes and Dudettes!

Since it is worm here in Minnesota and I don't have much else to do I'm going to build storage into my 1-man fish trap I just picked up. I am going to build a deck inside the sled with cut outs and stuff for buckets and what not. I was wondering if there were any creative ways to store the Coleman propane cylinders. Something other than a basket or milk crate. I am also looking for other peoples solutions to making the most out of their one man house. I am in the process of building a power box for lights and stuff as well. Bring on the ideas and thanks for your help ahead of time.

Also does anyone know the Diameter on one of those small tanks?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Misc Storage
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:15 PM »
The cylinder rack can be what ever you want like cylinders in a holder vertically with cylinder holes or slots cut out.. or even cylinders in a rack were you take the next avaible full one like that for organizing soup cans in a pantry shelf seen the can idea on pintrest.. ... truth is how many do you need on ice?? This all depends on heater and reg Time on ice like my heater I get 4 hours on a 1 pounder  so I may need 4  the hole day so make it big enough to hold 4... do the math and add one eXtra just encase .. is all I can suggest. Just encase your buddy did not bring all his gear and has to borrow one etc etc..

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Should add your location to your profile ..

SEARCH upper left

http://www.iceshanty.com/search/googlecs.php?cx=partner-pub-4142604719202363%3A1m5u4k-rv05&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=one+man+shelter+mods&sa=Search

I updated my profile with some information recommended. I did a little searching but it was easier to to make a quick post while at work! I will dig around in your link a little bit later and I will be posting my solutions later in this thread I am sure.

The cylinder rack can be what ever you want like cylinders in a holder vertically with cylinder holes or slots cut out.. or even cylinders in a rack were you take the next avaible full one like that for organizing soup cans in a pantry shelf seen the can idea on pintrest.. ... truth is how many do you need on ice?? This all depends on heater and reg Time on ice like my heater I get 4 hours on a 1 pounder  so I may need 4  the hole day so make it big enough to hold 4... do the math and add one eXtra just encase .. is all I can suggest. Just encase your buddy did not bring all his gear and has to borrow one etc etc..

I will keep that in mind for sure! I was only going to put a couple in there but maybe I will do a small area with 4 cylinders then I can have a square storage area. Thanks for the heads up haha! I normally fish with one other guy and we we go it seams like we have two of everything!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I think having removable storage is best ie: milk crates ,Plano sports tubs ,etc. that way you can empty your shelter of the tubs/contents and make a base camp as you run n gun with a lighten shelter. The only mod I could recommend is make your heater secure yet removable ...either to the tub or the chair support system so when bouncing around from hole to hole its one less thing to cause a problem ...I believe one  IS member even mounted two screws/bolts onto a milk crate so his buddy heater would be secure/stable in his shelter .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:17 AM »
I started to build a deck with hinged compartments into my 2 man clam. Things didn't work out real good. For starts, from the top of the tub to the bottom is only 7in. Most of the stuff I carry was taller than that, and the lids wouldn't close. mr.heater, 10lb propane, minnow bucket, rod case being a 42in gun case wouldn't fit either. Today I use milk crates, I have them everywhere they will fit in the tub, with the travel cover in place nothing gets spilled, or broken, I'm happy.

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Dudes and Dudettes!

Since it is worm here in Minnesota and I don't have much else to do I'm going to build storage into my 1-man fish trap I just picked up. I am going to build a deck inside the sled with cut outs and stuff for buckets and what not. I was wondering if there were any creative ways to store the Coleman propane cylinders. Something other than a basket or milk crate. I am also looking for other peoples solutions to making the most out of their one man house. I am in the process of building a power box for lights and stuff as well. Bring on the ideas and thanks for your help ahead of time.

Also does anyone know the Diameter on one of those small tanks?

Is that a newer sled? I have an older deep sled for my one man. If I like how things turn out in this fish outs I might increase the weight of the tank (otter lodge) after putting a pulley system in the back of the pickup to get the darn thing in the box when I am by myself and want the big house.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:54 AM »
some have used pvc pipe for holding 1# cans of gas and or to make it hold their heater like the mr heater little buddy system.
i prefer to use bass pros heater carry bag that hold all heaters made by mr heater and plenty of 1# cans of gas. it uses a hand strap instead of shoulder strap and made more sense being it only has to go back and forth from a vehicle to sled and back. so you have to grab it and the one that uses the shoulder strap doesn't have the hand strap. keeps the heater safe too.

i think if i were to make compartments inside my sled, it would be made of paracord or bungee cord or straps using hooks in the walls to hold them to reduce weight and be totally adjustable instead of all preset sizes. i also use some harbor freight anti-fatigue rubber foam mat on the bottom of my sleds that double for insulation for cold feet on ice.

right now it's so full it doesn't need any help holding what i bring in place. the only thing i can think of adding to my flip is a cargo net under the bench seat, but it's not needed bad enough to incorporate one. some of the cargo nets from harbor freight could be used like the one for motor cycles.
also, with shappell flips, their bench slides a long ways so having some thing that doesn't move on it's own could be problematic.

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:06 AM »
some have used pvc pipe for holding 1# cans of gas and or to make it hold their heater like the mr heater little buddy system.
i prefer to use bass pros heater carry bag that hold all heaters made by mr heater and plenty of 1# cans of gas. it uses a hand strap instead of shoulder strap and made more sense being it only has to go back and forth from a vehicle to sled and back. so you have to grab it and the one that uses the shoulder strap doesn't have the hand strap. keeps the heater safe too.

i think if i were to make compartments inside my sled, it would be made of paracord or bungee cord or straps using hooks in the walls to hold them to reduce weight and be totally adjustable instead of all preset sizes. i also use some harbor freight anti-fatigue rubber foam mat on the bottom of my sleds that double for insulation for cold feet on ice.

right now it's so full it doesn't need any help holding what i bring in place. the only thing i can think of adding to my flip is a cargo net under the bench seat, but it's not needed bad enough to incorporate one. some of the cargo nets from harbor freight could be used like the one for motor cycles.
also, with shappell flips, their bench slides a long ways so having some thing that doesn't move on it's own could be problematic.

3300, thanks for the input! I am thinking about an overhead cargo net for my jacket instead of the Frabill hanger I currently use. I feel as though that would help keep the most room available. I might have to play around with the PVC to hold the cylinders I kind of like that idea! The mat might be a good idea to incorporate also, do you do anything to dry it out when you are done for the day?

Planning on starting this modification this weekend! And I will be sure to post pictures of solutions and finished products. Working on light locations also so its more than just storage but you have to start some where haha!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:35 AM »
I use the Frabill hangers ..work well EZPZ with access to parkas pockets ...I also use a heater bag ...great for keeping everything for the heater all in one place ...some days I don't bring/need the heater so cuts down on the weight on those days. I have a Clam cargo net mounted to the front ...it defiantly adds to storage management  ...I store my Mag side baiter shelf and my  Grayden  Flex Rod Holder along with gloves and bait pucks in the net .

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:46 AM »
I'm guessing you're talking about the one pound cylinders.  To keep them and your heater secure so they don't roll around you can get some short pieces of pipe and attach them to a milk crate with hose clamps or PVC cement and store stuff in the unused space in the crate. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2016, 09:52 AM »
so far just leaving inside my van with heat from every day use dries it out enough. i do use a water proof spray on my shanties while it's warm enough outside to air them out. no problems with smell or rot doing it this way. i have no room inside my home to set them up for days anyway.
only time i had issues drying out a shack was my newest pop up that is full thermal. it holds a ton of water. i had to bring it inside and into the bathtub to drain all the water, then keep it loosely folded in front of a heat register and move the folds and unit to get it dry on other areas. they are i big pain to dry out ans super heavy when they get that wet.

for lights, you might want to check out amazons line up for smd5050 water proof leds on a reel and a wireless remote control to control on/off/brightness. leave the paper backer on it tho, is servers as an insulator from shorting out i use velcros one wrap to secure them and i install them to the top bar and the front bar, about 4 foot on each bar. i use the same thing in my pop ups and i keep some rolled up and in a small ammo box from harbor freight and a sla battery and just weave a small part of the them into the top supports. so like weave a small section where it first touches the support and tent and then run say a 3 foot length and weave or tuck another small section into it and repeat. works great and stows easy too. good for power loss's too.

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2016, 10:12 AM »
I use the Frabill hangers ..work well EZPZ with access to parkas pockets ...I also use a heater bag ...great for keeping everything for the heater all in one place ...some days I don't bring/need the heater so cuts down on the weight on those days. I have a Clam cargo net mounted to the front ...it defiantly adds to storage management  ...I store my Mag side baiter shelf and my  Grayden  Flex Rod Holder along with gloves and bait pucks in the net .

Good to know, and way to point out the access to the jacket pockets! Even though most of my stuff ends up in the pockets of my bibs! What do you have for a seat/s in your house? Mine has the sliding bench right now and I have been thinking about putting a boat seat or something in.

I'm guessing you're talking about the one pound cylinders.  To keep them and your heater secure so they don't roll around you can get some short pieces of pipe and attach them to a milk crate with hose clamps or PVC cement and store stuff in the unused space in the crate. 

Yeah, the one pound cylinders are what I am looking to secure in this house. My other house it will be a 20lb tank but that is a different story! I will look into a few storage options you mentioned. Thanks.

so far just leaving inside my van with heat from every day use dries it out enough. i do use a water proof spray on my shanties while it's warm enough outside to air them out. no problems with smell or rot doing it this way. i have no room inside my home to set them up for days anyway.
only time i had issues drying out a shack was my newest pop up that is full thermal. it holds a ton of water. i had to bring it inside and into the bathtub to drain all the water, then keep it loosely folded in front of a heat register and move the folds and unit to get it dry on other areas. they are i big pain to dry out ans super heavy when they get that wet.

for lights, you might want to check out amazons line up for smd5050 water proof leds on a reel and a wireless remote control to control on/off/brightness. leave the paper backer on it tho, is servers as an insulator from shorting out i use velcros one wrap to secure them and i install them to the top bar and the front bar, about 4 foot on each bar. i use the same thing in my pop ups and i keep some rolled up and in a small ammo box from harbor freight and a sla battery and just weave a small part of the them into the top supports. so like weave a small section where it first touches the support and tent and then run say a 3 foot length and weave or tuck another small section into it and repeat. works great and stows easy too. good for power loss's too.

Those are they lights I put into my other house. I will be putting them into this house as well. I will also be putting them into a few locations since it nice to spread out lights and be able to work without shadows. I will have to look at the Velcro wraps they sounds a lot better than tape or zip ties.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Those are they lights I put into my other house. I will be putting them into this house as well. I will also be putting them into a few locations since it nice to spread out lights and be able to work without shadows. I will have to look at the Velcro wraps they sounds a lot better than tape or zip ties.
i added reflectix to the ceiling and it bounce a lot of light to help with the shadows as well. from front bar to rear bar. just install it in between the tent and support bars and allow the tents velcro to hold it in place using slits in the reflectix, if it's some thing you care to try. it also stops condensation and saves heating costs.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2016, 10:54 AM »
I have a 2 man Frabill Adventurer...it a Trekker w/tripod seating ...got rid of the tripod seats and got two HT sports chairs ..fold up are light weight and are comfortable .

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ht-enterprises-padded-back-and-seat-sports-chair?a=64293

another tip when using the hangers I would add a piece of Gorilla tape on the shelter where it rests when folded up ..helps with some wear and tear . Also with the parka hanging behind you may add some insulation/heat retention ...plus if you hang it above you with a heater going ...may have some serious condensation issues on your parka ...which may not be fun to deal with after a day of fishing ...usually my parka has gloves.. sunglasses..my headlamp...my UV light ...cold snap toothpick ...so having it handy is nice .

on lighting ...got a cheap neoprene/foam case from dollar store ...I store my lights and cable cord in that and then into the cargo net of the shelter window area ...always there EZPZ to find ...and can hook it to my Vexilars battery for those days when you don't think about bringing your power box .

Also from the Dollar store I got some auto windshield reflective screens ...so I will be trying this to keep some heat retention and condensation woes this season.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:51 AM »
I'd say mount the heater so it can't tip or fall over and ditch the one pound tanks.. Get a 5llb or 10lb tank, way, way, cheaper.. It cost me $8 to get my 10lb filled, that's $40 in green bottles.. My five pound fits under my sliding bench..

<°)))>{

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2016, 07:57 PM »
You guys are doing awesome! You have all given me some idea and even changed some decisions that I had made! This community is wonderful.

Ice Scratcher where does one find a 5 or 10 pound cylinder? Any help on that would be great. Maybe even help with some of the things I am trying to accomplish.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:15 PM »

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2016, 06:17 AM »
craigslist will have some 10lb tanks on occasion, some might need to be fitted with a new valve, but still cheaper than a new one. I use a 10lb tank with my buddy heater, you can also get a T or Y fitting and run a propane stove and cook lunch while you're fishing.

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Unfortunately they are pricey but Cabela's has them or Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000SKX63U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478743801&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX280_SY350_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=5lb+propane+tank

<°)))>{

I have noticed that! I started to look around last nights and noticed the cost was higher than I figured it would be. I have a few other items I want to bite the bullet on before this!

craigslist will have some 10lb tanks on occasion, some might need to be fitted with a new valve, but still cheaper than a new one. I use a 10lb tank with my buddy heater, you can also get a T or Y fitting and run a propane stove and cook lunch while you're fishing.

I will have to watch their for one, although if it needed a new valve where does a guy start to find something like that?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Any propane distributor will change valves for you, cost me $60.00 to do 2 10lb er's last year and that included filling both with propane

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Any propane distributor will change valves for you, cost me $60.00 to do 2 10lb er's last year and that included filling both with propane

Sounds good. I will keep that in mind. I am sure there are a few places around here that will change them.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2016, 08:39 AM »
here's a pic of what I started to build and quit cause I was hoping everything would be inside the compartments, I had planned on putting a car battery under the seat to run lights an d whatever. Propane tank is a 10lb, buddy heater, gun case behind seat. Today it's full of milk crates.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Uncle Al
maybe make a box for a compartment for the open things on the right half? it could serve as a table top. maybe use a hinge or hinges for it. another milk create upside could work over the propane tank.
there is room to go up with your build all the way around your seat.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Uncle Al
maybe make a box for a compartment for the open things on the right half? it could serve as a table top. maybe use a hinge or hinges for it. another milk create upside could work over the propane tank.
there is room to go up with your build all the way around your seat.
I tried that but the travel cover doesn't stretch, and the bottom has to wrap around the lip to secure it when you travel. I had lids on the right and left side but took them off from the right because of the size of stuff. here's another pic. The rod case lays flat

Offline Bryan in iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I bolted milk crate to sled, hinged plywood on top of crate and bolted my seat to that . Great storage ,four lp botttles and room for few other items .

Offline SIMESMASH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! A lot of useful stuff here. I unfortunately didn't get to work on this part of my house this weekend! Instead I build a switch box to control the lights and stuff. It turned out really well! Not to mention I got it all put together right on the first try! I will try and get pictures up this week.

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2016, 11:48 PM »
Just finished my power box. Pretty basic but it's all I need. 2 12 volt batteries, a dual USB port, volt meter, and light. The prongs on the right side hook up to and run my lights in my portable. For my first attempt at one of these I'm pretty happy. Definitely makes it easy to have one central power source. I will also be using it for camping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.