Author Topic: Truck camper ice shack  (Read 12322 times)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
Truck camper ice shack
« on: Nov 09, 2014, 06:51 PM »
So I got this old truck camper I'm planning on using for a shack/hunting camper. Let's see some that others made, I got an idea how I want to keep the layout but would like to see some others set ups. Thinking about mounting it to the trailer but haven't made up my mind.

Offline Chris00WJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Truck camper ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:19 AM »
It's tough to see what kind of trailer you have under there, but is there room for holes?

I'd be worried about the height from the ice, as well as the wind possibly tipping it over unless you have it fairly well supported on the sides. 

I considered the same thing, but there just wasnt enough floor space for me to justify it.  I was going to permanently mount it to a flat deck trailer with the quad under the front as a toy hauler type setup. 

Im interested to see what you end up with.  The good news is it should already have fridge, furnace, stove etc all ready to rock!

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:50 PM »
This one doesn't have a furnace, but has a good spot for a wood stove lol. The trailer frame is from an old compressor/generator and will work with almost any holes in the floor  for the truck camper. Half the reason I want to keep on trailer is we get a lot of snow usually, skid shacks are a pain to move when drifted in, and I live 15km from the lake so would like to bring it home almost every trip to avoid break ins and vandalism.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:36 PM »
I'll be following this one. I got an old 9 footer that my buddy and I will be converting after hunting season. Its already gutted so interested on insulation ideas and skids. We will probably be using a trailer for initial drop off and removal with assistance from the jacks, but thinking about two or three 4x4s for skids for moves throughout the season. Hoping for for at least 6 holes, 4 alternating sides in the main 4x8 part and one in each rear corner with rattle reels. Probably just run a big buddy heater and portable lights at first. Use the sides for seats/beds and the overhang for storage or bed. I'll have some pictures and more ideas come the first of the month when we start working again.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:38 AM »
looks like fun.  A few questions, what is its total weight? How deep is the extension over the cab?  You need to make some sort of drop axle or maybe just some smaller tires, but it does sit up a little high.  I have seen you tube vids of camper trailers being flipped end over end in strong winds.  Keep us posted on the project, post a shot of the interior too.  Thanks

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:22 PM »
If it stays on the trailer it will be brought home every day as I'm only 15 min from the lake, the height isn't a huge concern usually have too much snow for lower trailers, makes moving them around painful. Going to start building when I'm back from moose camp early December

Offline RedRebel69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014, 06:45 PM »
that will make an awesome sleeper shack im looking forward to this build!

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Having a hard time deciding if I should leave it on trailer or put skids on it. I'm only 15 min from the lakes I fish and would like to bring home when not fishing to prevent theft and getting drifted in after a storm.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:55 PM »
If you still have the jacks I would take it off the trailer. Our plan is to jack it up put it on the little atv trailer to transport. It'll have 4x4 treated skids for moving around on the ice but when its time to take it home jack it up and back on the trailer. But then ours will likely be left on the lake all winter.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Have all four jacks for it, but if I'm using the jacks every time I'm not going to screw with the trailer I'd just put it in truck box. Leaving it on trailer makes it much more mobile, we have four chain lakes here and being able to fish a different lake with minimal effort is a huge plus

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Started gutting the camper to get it finished and on the ice. Got fridge and stove out and started on ripping sink out and found two wasp nests under the sink.
[/URL

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:18 AM »
Looks like a good project! Good luck with it!

WS

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Only had a couple hours to work on it this week. Got the sink and counter out, roughed in where I want the stove to see how it would fit. Lots left to do but it will be ready to put on the lake Xmas day

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:15 PM »
If you do keep it on the trailer it looks like you will have to wire up some breaklights as I don't see any.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Got a couple sets of lights in the shop and want to build a flatdeck on trailer frame if I mount it on it

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:23 PM »
i use a truck camper it dose not have a cab over like yours i took out the bench on one side and cut out three holes to fish out of. it has a stove top but i do not use it. i mounted two 4x4 treated skids under it. it is fairly light i just haul it on a tailor and pull it with a four wheeler when unloaded i can fit 3 guys comfortly in it   

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:42 PM »

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:50 PM »

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Lingking I think yours was the inspiration for mine. We got it done last weekend and hope to put by the cliffs the weekend after Christmas.

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:38 PM »
clark canyon cliffs???? she was all white last year

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Yep we got tired of the pop ups being blown around and spending more time keeping it on the ice than fishing, so we saw yours and I came across a one for $40 on Craigslist so the new shack was in the works.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Made Some progress today, got the floor and seating area reinforced and all the areas that weren't quite air tight spray foamed. Need to get some more pipe, get the stove flange through the wall and get the heat shield on the wall around the stove and that will be done. Going to cut holes in the floor tomorrow and mount the skids this week some night. Want it to be ready to go Boxing Day need to get my butt in gear and get it finished.

Utilized a storage compartment already in camper for a wood box

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Also got a 5 rod holder mounted up out of the way on the roof by the bunk.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Got a little time tonight on it didn't get as much as wanted done but don't have much left to go. Running to city to get more stove pipe tomorrow to finish stove install, install heat sheild on wall around stove and a quick clean it will be ready for Boxing Day to get on lake.

Have to do until I can get catch covers

And had this thermometer sitting in the house unopened for three years... Seem to get one every Xmas... So in the shack it went.

Every saskatchewan shack needs something riders

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Being Xmas I didn't get much time to work on it today but I got the battery mount made so its out of the way

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Stove is hooked up and shack is ready for the lake. Need to make extensions for the jacks to get it into my f350 so I loaded it in my old trusty million miler f250. Have to wait until Monday to renew plates on the old truck so didn't get it on the lake as planned. Looks like New Year's Day it will be on the ice...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Hoping to get on lake mid afternoon tomorrow. Was -40 here two days ago and fired up stove after work in the shack. 20 min to get from -30 inside to +15 celcius. 

With the table in

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Got it on the lake finally. Good to be out fishing even if it is snowing heavy now

Offline tjmortenson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how do you drop it down to the ice? Do the Jack's go that far down?

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Jacks didn't go low enough. Used some 4x4 blocks and a jack-all to get it down the last foot or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.