Author Topic: Lighting in shanty  (Read 5826 times)

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lighting in shanty
« on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:27 PM »
I was wondering what people use for a light inside the shanty.  I only have a lantern and obviously dont want to put that inside so any ideas? Thanks.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lighting in shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Why don't you want to put it inside..it would provide light and heat ?

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I use an old coleman lantern,,, er i did untill CarogaKid shot it in the swamp  :wacko:
it was old white gas type, worked great, kept the portable bright and warm ( kept the bottom of the door open for ventilation)
so hopefully santa will bring me a new coleman duel fuel lanter and stove combo this year  ;)2

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2005, 10:52 PM »
I use candles in each corner above the holes, gives a nice ambience to the shack.  ;D
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:19 AM »
Put a car battery in the shanty run wires to a bulb or two in the shatny. Put aligator clips at the end of the wires and hook them to the battery when you need light. Recharge the battery about once a month depending on usage.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:48 AM »
I use 2 twelve volt tractor lights I bought at Tractor Supply.  They were about $12 each.  I ran 12 gauge wire to them and attached round connectors at the ends to slip over the terminals on the Marine Cell battery.  I run two of these lights, and a TV/radio/lantern combo unit my buddy has.  The battery will run for about 15 hours or so, and I can unhook on the the lights if I choose.  Here is a photo of the light on the back wall:

We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2005, 09:49 AM »
I have a propane lantern that works great but adds more heat.
And sometimes it gets too darn hot with that and the Buddy.
So I normally just use my small Coleman battery lantern.
Uses a small florescent type tube.
Lots of light for the cost of a couple of D cells.
The batteries will last a few trips depending on how much we use it.
Good luck.
Mac

I also use both the Coleman propane mantle lantern and the florescent tube battery-op one.  This year I'm gonna give the CLAM LED rope lights a try.  I've heard nothing but good articles on them and it seems like they'd work really good too!!!

-WF.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I use camper lights in mine. Battery drain is pretty minimal.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2005, 01:12 PM »
I use a couple of interior lights from an auto. I have them wired and hooked up to a 12 volt car battery that is mounted in the shack. I then put a solar panel on the roof of the shack and wired it to the battery. There is enough juiced produced to keep the battery charged and enough juice in the battery to power a small fan and two lights in the shack.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:16 PM »

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:46 PM »
12v car batteries...(3)....although I never used more than the second one last winter...wired in a lamp with a built in switch and alligator clamps at the battery....when one runs down, I just bring it home a put on the trickle charger....3rd season coming up for these discard warranty duds.. ;D ;D...Grump

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:55 PM »
ive seen some shantys with those rope lights in it.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:32 PM »
i took to dome lights out of a couple old cars and mounted them to the ceiling wired to a switch and battery clamps to a deep cycle and have a small fan on there to.

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:49 AM »
Guess I should of mentioned I have a portable shanty so some of these ideas wont work for me but the propane lantern sounds about the best so far.  Thanks for the replys.  I will be going to Cabelas to do some xmas shopping for myself this weekend.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:54 AM »
I have a coleman propane lantern and it's great for the portable. Just don't keep it too close to your legs. They are real bib burners. ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:39 AM »
I have a coleman Compact for my portable. It is small (single mantle) and can be hung from the ceiling without it getting hot. It uses a 1lb propane cylinder and lasts a long time. The brightness adjusts from as dim as you want to blinding. About $15.00 At Walmart.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:37 AM »
I usually use the 12 volt battery hooked to a converter.. And plug a light into it. We always have a kerosene lamp for backup and they work pretty good, and throw off quite a bit of heat while doing so.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Caroga kid what do you mean by a converter?

110 to 12 volt a converter is used.
12v to 110 an inverter is used.

If you are inverting your 12 volt to 110 and then plugging in your light you are losing juice needlessly.  Any time you change voltages you loose some power in the conversion/inversion.  Just get 12v bulbs for your lights.

Chris
Cheese Head

Offline itchynate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • right there!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:00 PM »
i use my coleman lantern also. this fish brite light reflector is the best thing i ever bought as far as portable lighting. it directs the light down, to where you need it. you can get these for any lantern, and they are inexpensive. heres a linkhttp://www.soderbloom.com/reflectralight.html
I.B.O.T.#361

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:23 AM »
Got my Clam 3' rope light the other day.  Hooked it up in a completely dark bathroom a little larger than the sq. ft. area of my Clam 5600 and let me say... it is bright SOFT light.  It will definitely work perfect for fishing at night and I think the soft light it puts out shouldn't spook the fish as much as my old lanterns did.... can't wait to use them but thought I'd post the initial results  ;)

Offline jig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:41 AM »
caroga kid ..the way to go
 i have used a battery and converter for 8 yrs.  we run everything  from x-mas lights to a toaster oven,vcr ,tv,ex. its the balls ! charge it with a large deep cycle (trolin motor).  usualy get 2 weeks out of it  b4 charging .the more u spend on the converter the more amps  and more "toys" u can run
jig1

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:34 PM »
I am in the process of installing 2 15bulbLED lights in my Fish Trap Guide.  A friend of mine has this set-up and it is AWESOME.  Best part is they are adjustable and fold down with the poles so there is no need to remove them.

If anyone is interested, I will post some pics when they are installed.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:53 PM »
Hi Baginwal

I am interested in your setup. What are your light going to be power from? Pics would be great.

Thanks

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:12 PM »
Hi Baginwal

I am interested in your setup. What are your light going to be power from? Pics would be great.

Thanks

Sturgeon

Sturg:  I am going to use my extra Aqua Vu battery to power the lights.  They only draw .03 amps each.  My friend runs his for several nights before he needs to re-charge the battery.

I will post the pics when I complete it.  Right now I am really itching to get out somewhere on some SAFE ice!  I may be headed up North this weekend ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Over the years I have tried multiple set ups in my portable. Tried the propane lantern ... too much light/heat. Tried an electric lantern ... worked well but batteries get expensive and bulky. I've settled on my headlamp. I simply can leave it on my head or attach it to the overhead pole by putting the stretch band over the support pole and pushing the lamp thru the loop ... it hangs on its own !
Those who are brave are free ..

PIKEGUY

« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:13 PM »
On the propane Coleman...Are you talking too much heat as in it gets too warm in the shanty or do you mean DON"T TOUCH THAT! It's hot? I like the lantern alot just don't touch it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:22 PM »
You can use it as a heat source for heating a portable ... just keep a vent open ! The mantle and top got very hot and they are tippy .... the potential for burning the tent or yourself is there. (Also breaking the mantle)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline bobofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:51 PM »
I stopped in a local Gander Mountain the other day and they have a shanty light rope for $9.95 so I picked one up. Tried it out and worked like a champ, I do have a small Eskimo trap scout, I tied it to the down side of the trap so I can see my rod tip. Bob

Offline bucknduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2005, 05:13 PM »
What about lighting the shanty with a coleman lantern while fishing for walleye. Typically I'll fish for walleye in about 3-5 ft of water but keep the shanty dark except when I turn on the head lamp to charge up the glow jig.

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:42 PM »
I use a ray-o-vac round battery lantern, sold at fleet farm it has a handle that it can be hung upside down and a slide switch for spot or flood .2 D size batteries last a long time and it was under $5.00 last year when I bought it.  You can easily grab it to go check tip-ups .I hang it from the Frabil shanty hooks. Newoodhntr

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.