Author Topic: my first permy and wood stove build.  (Read 2710 times)

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
my first permy and wood stove build.
« on: Aug 10, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Well got a start on the wood stove, got pics but don't have the cable to upload them at the moment. anyhow I found an old propane tank at the back of my parents property to turn into a wood stove. it had been converted to a portable air tank years ago, so I wasn't really worried about any gas being in it, but just to be safe I pulled the valve, filled it with water, and let it sit for an hour before starting on it. After that I cut the top off, this will be used as the door, then I cut out a section of the side the will be replaced to form an 8" x 8" flat surface on which to cook and warm things. i'll post pics of progress soon.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: my first permy and wood stove build.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2013, 01:19 PM »
I made a little more progress, I bought some metal stock to work with, as well as 12 inches of 2 and 3 inch exhaust pipe to form the inlet and stove pipe. I cut and tacked the together the flat top portion of the stove. It already has some very minor distortion side to side, about a 64th of an inch across the last inch on either end when you hold a level across it. I expected it to distort some, my plan is to weld it out fully on the outside, then fit it up and weld it to the stove body. Then once the stove is finished get a good hot fire going to burn the paint off, after that i'll check the final warping in the flat plate, and if need be simply tack weld another 1/4 inch plate on top of it. Here are some pictures of progress so far.

You'll have to settle for one picture, I'm having trouble with the rest, and don't have time to mess with it right now.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Where are the pics?

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Sorry first time posting pics and I'm having a little trouble, got the one though.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2013, 01:55 PM »

two more I hope!
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Good job, looking good. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2013, 12:12 AM »
Got some more work done on the stove, I welded and cleaned up the cook surface. the welded it on. Next  I cut the flu (forgot to get a picture of this step). then I fabbed up the flu box and welded it out, then welded it too the stove body, tomorrow I hope to get the air intake all built up, as well as the legs and weld on the stove pipe.

FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2013, 08:24 AM »
looks good so far

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2013, 11:33 AM »
 nice looking weld!

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Congrats. She looks good. PS someone is a dam good welder@)
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2013, 12:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. didn't get as much done today as hoped, but did get the intake manifold mostly all done. pictures were taken with my cell phone so quality may be down.

the intake port cut in the stove body.

a shot of the "intake damper" before welding the bottom on the manifold

the stove resting on its face with the two inch intake pipe just sitting in place.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2013, 04:05 AM »
Interesting build ,I'm not the most mechanically knowledgeable person but think I understand how the stove will work. Once you finish it should be clearer to me how everything works. Off topic what is the story one the wagon in the back ground of your previous photos.
Steve

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2013, 12:41 PM »
the only major difference (and probably cause for some confusion) between this stove and the average run of the mill stove is the air intake. Normally they just have a hole and baffle near or in the door, and draw there fresh air from inside the shack. I wanted mine to be plumbed outside so it draws fresh air from outside, this is the purpose of the manifold and intake pipe. also in the last picture posted the stove isn't sitting how it will when finished, the 2 inch pipe sitting vertically on the manifold, will actually be horizontal and running along the bottom of the stove. As for the wagon wheel (insert old crow medicine show pun here), I knew someone was going to ask about it, its on a horse drawn buggy, that's in my parents garage, my mom is a professional quarter horse trainer, and my father picked the buggy up cheap somewhere to play with and take my niece (his granddaughter) for rides.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Thank you for the explanation  and information on the wagon.

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I cheated a little and had a few parts burned on the burn table at work, the ring for the door, and the circle for the damper. I didn't have the material for the ring and it was cheaper to pay scrap price at work and have the guy running the burn table on night spend 5 minutes to cut them. got the stove mostly done, still have a few things left to do but was able to start a fire in it today. ;D

FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2013, 02:37 AM »
You do good work the stove looks great , may it give you many years of service. I like the cooking surface can have a hot meal and drink while out on the ice.
Steve

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Whats the advantage of bringing in outside air vs inside air?

Just curious...

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Man that stove looks good and I like how tall it is it will help to save your back.

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2013, 03:25 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. NWH the theory is by consuming air from outside, your not consuming the air you've already heated inside and replacing it with cool air, thus making it more efficient.  I do wish I had made the intake pipe 3 inch, as it seemed the fire wouldn't really rip with the door fully closed, it stayed burning just fine and threw plenty of heat, but wouldn't burn really hard unless I cracked the door. two inch intake may be too small, or perhaps I wound up with too many bottle necks although I don't think that's the case. I'm going to stick with the way it is for now, since the wood was green (split that day), the stovepipe was only 12 inches so probably wasn't drafting properly, and to top it off it was 95 degrees out with horrible humidity. So i'm really hoping the full height stove pipe, colder air, and dryer wood will improve performance. I was able to boil water in about 15 minutes with the door fully closed, but it wouldn't come to a good rolling boil.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.