Author Topic: pak shak  (Read 5143 times)

Offline lanternman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I have been on thin ice most of my life
pak shak
« on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:36 PM »
hello all been cruising the site very good info getting back into ice fishing after a long break i bought a pak shak today that needs repair the steel bows came apart from the chair i was wondering if anyone has experience with this unit i was thinking about fastening this to my jet sled instead of the chair similar to the frahillbilly post i read any help would be greatly appreciated
Bring me the gaff

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: pak shak
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012, 05:08 PM »
I am not real sure what you are working with but maybe you could use some electical conduit and bend this to the shape you need. You can then get some conduit clamps to hold this to the sled where you need to by screwing into the sled. That would be my best idea on using that on a sled.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 02:41 PM »
hello all been cruising the site very good info getting back into ice fishing after a long break i bought a pak shak today that needs repair the steel bows came apart from the chair i was wondering if anyone has experience with this unit i was thinking about fastening this to my jet sled instead of the chair similar to the frahillbilly post i read any help would be greatly appreciated

If you still have the steel bows and the cover's in decent shape, it'll be easy enough to fix.  The bows mount to the ends of the arm rests, and have small plastic spacers on each side before the nut is secured.

Provided the stud is still on the arm (which I can't imagine how it'd be busted off) I'd just put on a nylock nut, a washer, the bows, a washer, then another nylock nut to hold it all together.

You could mount it to a Jetsled as well, you'd just need to make sure that you have the pivot points at the right height so the fabric's resting on the ground.  A couple of bent pieces of conduit could provide the uprights, then just through bolt them. 

Offline NITE-BITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:56 PM »
The answer is simple.

Get yourself a part-time job and buy a real fishing shack.
Put what you have on EBay.

Hope for the best.
Good luck.

Offline Icefisher15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:51 AM »
The answer is simple.

Hope for the best.
Good luck.

Ouch.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:19 AM »
if it works for you, keep useing it.  I have thought about getting one for early early ice they are light and think they would work good depending on what you want to use them for. 

Offline lanternman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:06 PM »
The answer is simple.

Hope for the best.
Good luck.

if i didnt have a job that kept busy 6 days a week for 56 hours in a union mill i might think about that advice oh and by the way thanks for the helpful suggestion i am sure i can use this post after i print it on some soft paper and put it in the john next to the crapper
Bring me the gaff

Offline NITE-BITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:40 AM »
What, no sense of humor?

If your not serious about good equipment that's your choice.

There are tools and there are toys.

Go ahead and waste your time and money.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:53 AM »
I have HT's version of a pak shak and the chair broke out under my fat arse  :o.  First I just bought a new bag chair and installed the hut similar to what wipike described.  I'm not a big fan of bag chairs and was sitting around bored waiting on ice one day and decided to mount it on a sled.  Instead of spending for a real jet sled, I picked up a concrete mixing sled from Lowes and fabricated a frame out of conduit to mount a seat.  Here is what I came up with.  This is the lightest one man flip over I have ever used.  Not the strongest, but great for early ice and long drags by hand.

Offline lanternman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2012, 11:41 AM »
thank you onebadc20 that is the reply i was hoping to get as for my snap i apologize to all involved long hours on rotating shifts sometimes leave me a little short on patience
Bring me the gaff

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2012, 07:16 PM »
 I sold mine 3 years ago on ebay!  Here is a guy who set up in front of me last year. Then the wind came up...

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Don't apologize lanternman, there's nothing wrong with being handy and trying to fix something.  If nitebite wants to spend money to replace every piece of equipment that is outdated or damaged, let him.  To me, there's no greater satisfaction than fishing next to someone that has spent a lot of money on every new gadget-and outfishing them.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Onebadc20 - that's awesome!  For a while before I got my hub shack I was trying to figure out how to mount my old Pakshack to a small otter sled, and the sled was just too big.  I even picked up one of those Strikemaster Glidelite sleds to mount it too, but again it didn't measure out like I wanted.  I never even thought about picking up a concrete tub, that's genius.

I ended up giving my PakShack to my brother in law, as he fishes on the other side of the state and was stuck on the bucket.  He appreciates the shelter now, I'll pass this on to him if he wants to make his own.

I'm keeping my hub, the room has spoiled me.   ;D

Offline NITE-BITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Don't apologize lanternman, there's nothing wrong with being handy and trying to fix something.  If nitebite wants to spend money to replace every piece of equipment that is outdated or damaged, let him.  To me, there's no greater satisfaction than fishing next to someone that has spent a lot of money on every new gadget-and outfishing them.

You have missed the point exactly.
If one buys good gear to begin with you don't waste time and money trying to make cheap SHT it into something it is not.

Trying to is futile.
It's always cheaper to do it right from the start.
" You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear".

Not surprising in this day and age.
Probably voted for Obama, thinking you you were going to get something for nothing.

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:19 PM »
If one buys good gear to begin with you don't waste time and money trying to make cheap SHT it into something it is not.

Trying to is futile.

Probably voted for Obama, thinking you you were going to get something for nothing.

Yeah let's bring politics into this now because that is all what this is about. Sometimes when a person has old gear they want to make work for them and look for ideas because they get the satisfaction of having done it themselves. Not everyone is made of money and can go buy the newest greatest equipment. Sometimes the lack of use does not justify it either. We make do with what we have and if we have the materials to change what we have and make it more useful then that is what we do because it gives us a sense of accomplishment. Where does doing things on your own weather its modifying a pak shack or flipover have anything to do with getting something for nothing and the political bulls*** that you bring into the last post.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Onebadc20 - That is one of the coolest mods that I've seen for the pak shak. It is amazing what you can do with a couple trips to the hardware store.

Nite-Bite - I believe maybe you have missed the point. It always amazes me how people turn to whining, confrontational fools when they they can't get out and fish. If you put as much of your effort into helping instead of criticizing maybe you could become a successful sportsman.

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Haha if I had that attitude about replacing everything like that I'd have to close my Buisness. You could also build a wooden box the width of the shed and mount a swivel seat to that I mean the swivel is cheap but man those boat chairs arent. Or for the time being a stadium pad on top of the box I'm sure would suffice, then mount the bows to the box

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:59 AM »

Trying to is futile.

I'll spend $100 to build it myself even if I can buy it for $50.  Call it dumb, call it what you want, but the feeling of accomplishment cannot be bought.  That feeling of self worth and pride is not found in every man. 

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:55 PM »
x2    [onebadc20] ;D

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2012, 04:57 PM »
night bite, you need to go fishing lol, find some other place to post your crabby thoughts.   

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:30 PM »
night bite, you need to go fishing lol, find some other place to post your crabby thoughts.
X2--- We don't need your attitude! Just stick it where the sun never shines!! :woot: ;)2 :whistle: There is a lot of satisfaction in building something with your own two hands and using your head, rather than your wallet!!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline lanternman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:02 PM »
ok fellas lets cut nitebite some slack everybody is allowed their own opinion lets not make this forum a slam fest i snapped back but i realize that was wrong as for the usefull tips i appreciate all of them i intend to buy a three man flip over for use when my kids are with me but that is too big when i a fishing alone but the mortar tub idea is just the ticket for my broken pakshak also check out the used sportinggoods stores for deals on used ice gear  also a great place to buy used skis for making your own ice sled
Bring me the gaff

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:29 PM »
i have a 3 man pakshack and 2 one man pakshacks and love them. i also own a nice 2 man clam flip over and love it also. the one i really liked the best was the one that my boys and i made. we made a 4x8 where the ends folded down over the tarp. a door on each end and ample room for 3 fishermen. 2x6 runners with plastic pipe split and formed around the 2x6. most of the time i would fish outside and listen to the baloney going on inside. the older son passed at28 with a hard attack. the middle boy was in a fatal car accident at age 27 and the youngest is 40 now. that build was the greatest thing i ever did with my children. in those days we didn't have all or any of the nice things today that makes us such great fishermen. family is important and doing a project with those children will never be forgotten. i am sorry for this long nothing of mine.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Man no one should have to go through that, very sorry for both of you loss there.  I cant even fatham how hard some of your days have been to get through with events like those.   Keep your chin up there and hope you get to enjoy many days on the ice with your youngest. 

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:37 AM »
Man no one should have to go through that, very sorry for both of you loss there.  I cant even fatham how hard some of your days have been to get through with events like those.   Keep your chin up there and hope you get to enjoy many days on the ice with your youngest.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:08 AM »
A few pics of the Pak shak flip over in action this past weekend.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Looks like it served its purpose. Carry the beer out, carry the fish in  ::)

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:23 PM »
real nice job on the shack and the fish.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:45 PM »
i have a 3 man pakshack and 2 one man pakshacks and love them. i also own a nice 2 man clam flip over and love it also. the one i really liked the best was the one that my boys and i made. we made a 4x8 where the ends folded down over the tarp. a door on each end and ample room for 3 fishermen. 2x6 runners with plastic pipe split and formed around the 2x6. most of the time i would fish outside and listen to the baloney going on inside. the older son passed at28 with a hard attack. the middle boy was in a fatal car accident at age 27 and the youngest is 40 now. that build was the greatest thing i ever did with my children. in those days we didn't have all or any of the nice things today that makes us such great fishermen. family is important and doing a project with those children will never be forgotten. i am sorry for this long nothing of mine.
I hope to be able to wet a line with you some fine day! As always, great post. God bless, Joe
On topic: You guys are making me wish I still had my custom sled I built 25 years ago!

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Real nice to hear from you prospector. always enjoy your posts and look forward to fishing with you one day. the boys and me were always building or repairing ice shantys. you should enjoy it with your children when they are young because they grow up and what you have left are only memories.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.