Author Topic: looking for a new 1 man hut  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Walruspaul

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for a new 1 man hut
« on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:06 PM »
Hello all, been lurking seriously for a few weeks now, I'm ready for the ice!  :tipup:

Short version: What kind of shelter should I buy/try and find used? LOL

Long version:
I'm going to be buying my first shelter soon, and I've decided I probably want a flip shelter, (I don't want to fart around with anchors and whatnot, I want to fish...) and I'm unsure of which to get.

Price is obviously a consideration, it always is!

I have the opportunity to get a used (and I haven't done much looking, I will be though...) otter walleye series with hyfax runners, seats and travel cover for 250 bucks. apparently there's some sort of custom console in it as well. It sounds like the seats in it are really close together though from what I've read, and I am not a small man (300lbs, 6'4'', big shoulders. probably tough to fish with another person, which I will be doing from time to time)

is a bigger popup (for less money brand new, notably) or a different flip shelter better for me? I'd then have to scrounge up a sled, chairs, etc... all I have is a tip up and a jigging rod, and a few jigs...

Anyway, I don't have much money, and I really shouldn't be spending any, but hey, that's what hobbies are for, right? Now that duck season is over and done with, I'm getting ready to try and hone my ice skills! I've caught my share of fish through the ice, but what I'm most excited about is trying to go for my first lake trout ever this year. There is a lake about 1.5 hours from me that has a population in it, and here's to hoping!

Thanks guys, this forum rules! can't wait to build my first permanent!

-Paul

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: looking for a new 1 man hut
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Being a large person, you'd probably do better with a 2 person unit.  Most, if not all now, come with seating for 2 people so no need to purchase a seperate seat.  Or you can remove one seat and use the space for gear.  However, they can be quite heavy and difficult to pull if theres any snow on the ice unless you build some sort of sled (search "Smitty Sled).  Obviously, if you have a quad/snowmobile, its no problem.  Check craigslist for something used if you haven't already.  Heres a pic of my 2 man with one seat removed in favor of a small table.  Whatever you decide upon, good luck with the trout.

You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Clam... Various 1 man & two man models.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Use caution in your purchase
The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of a bargin fades
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I've had the walleye series Otter fish house and was pleased with it. The canvas is thinner thus requires a little more care when folding down. The sled and frame was the same as the pro series units. I now have two Otter lower end Wild Series units, the one man and large two man. Got a really good deal on them too as they were replaced with newer models. A lof of the flip overs are very spendy, but as with most items you get what you pay for. Shop around and look at everything available to find what best suites you, there are many options.

Offline NITE-BITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:44 PM »
You are a big boy, got to tell you the truth.

Nothing less than a two man Wild.

Don,t even think about a one man flipper.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Welcome to the IS community Walruspaul, great to have you with us. I honestly do not have the advice you are looking for, as my experience has been a very, very simple 2 man, no seat, wind blocker. Even though my lady and I spent many hours/days in it, it was just a wind blocker at best. We decided to build a permi as our next adventure, which in itself, the build is almost as exciting as fishing out of.
Excellent advice here with the IS team, so good luck sir and here's to tight lines and great memories.  :icefish:

Offline jase_law

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Welcome aboard.  I am still relatively new to this site as well but have received some great advice so far.  I recently purchased the Clam Nanook after looking around for awhile at differant models. Let me explain my reasoning for choosing this one.  If you live in Canada Canadian Tire will price match any competitor within a 200Km radius of the store that you are purchasing from.  On top of that they will give you an additional 10% in Canadian Tire money.  I was able to have them price match the Clam Nanook from Bass Pro Shop to $339 then it received an additional $35 in Canadian Tire money. 

It may be out of your price range or if you live in the states may not help unless you can build it here and get it across border "if you know what I mean", but the extra Canadian Tire money is as good as a gift certificate in my mind.  Just something to thin about. 
Veteran getting back into the swing of things

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Shappell used to make a rover 1.5. It only had a board for a seat but that's and easy mod. I tried a display model and it seemed rather nice for the price.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:18 PM »
I only have one comment to make here regarding one you made...
and I've decided I probably want a flip shelter, (I don't want to fart around with anchors and whatnot, I want to fish...)

If you think that a flipover is going to save you from anchoring, I'm gonna save you a possible 2 mile walk down the lake only to arrive to your destroyed shelter! You have to anchor it anyway. I've actually had to anchor a snowmobile before!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Shappell used to make a rover 1.5. It only had a board for a seat but that's and easy mod. I tried a display model and it seemed rather nice for the price.

That's mine! You can still find them around. Saw one at Knutson's a month back. Put a piece of 2" foam and a vinyl cover on the bench (staple gun), it's really comfy! Fits me and one of my daughters (8 and 10). Never had to anchor it yet, but I haven't been in a tough wind with it. I carry a pipe anchor (2 ropes/conduit to go into a drilled hole - search function) should I need to do so.

Dave

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:38 PM »

I'm going to be buying my first shelter soon, and I've decided I probably want a flip shelter, (I don't want to fart around with anchors and whatnot, I want to fish...) and I'm unsure of which to get.

Definately going to want to anchor it.  Wind gets nasty out on the ice....  I love my 2 man Trekker DLK, plenty of room for 1, but has the room for 2 when the wife comes along.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2012, 05:49 PM »
I had a HT two man flip over and didn't care for that path.  I about froze with the moisture a propane stove made at O degrees.  I fish the Flaming Gorge in Wyoming and am used to the wind. 
I built a nice sled with a full size cooler to set on. I use a double mantle lantern for heat and wear plenty of layers of clothing.  I have a 4 wheeler to pull it and me around.   I am quite happy not having the wind catching ice box. Explore your options. Just my opinion.
Thread killer

Offline ShrinkageFactor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:09 PM »
It didn't look like you had a flasher or fish finder of any kind when you listed your equipment.  I would put that on a higher priority than a shelter unless the weather is always windy and horendous where you fish.  To me fishing with a vexilar or marcum etc makes the fishing that much better and more productive.  If it wasn't for them I don't know fi I would have the patience.  Especially fishing for lakers it will increase your odds immensely.   If you already have one then never mind but that is where I would put my money first.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:53 AM »
250 bucks is a good deal. check it out first. i have a otter wild 1 and i am 6-3 300lbs+ use a heater and fish finder and i got tons of room. 50 percent of the time i get a bud to come out with me.

Offline ranger620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2013, 03:06 PM »
otter pro xt1200 vs clam legend thermal

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I vote Otter....top of the line  :thumbsup: I am moving up to thermal this winter

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Otter all the way ;D
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2013, 11:31 AM »
If money is not a problem and weight dont bother you get the otter. Otter builds one heck of a flip, but they are pig heavy.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline ranger620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM »
thanks guys weight is why im going to a one man have frabill predator just to much for one guy.like to sell it not sure if ill regret it later.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2013, 03:50 AM »
I don't think you could go wrong with either.  You just have to ask yourself if the Otter Pro Cottage is $280 better than the Clam Legend shelter.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hands down Otter IMO but I've had far too many bad clam experiences and my Otter shack has been nothing less than awesome. But like stated before you can't go wrong with either and new stuff is always fun.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Don't forget to check out Frabill one's too. I saw some on craigslist you should check that out.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Have a fabrill commando and don't seem to have many problems with weight.  I like it because it holds plenty of gear and is big enough that you don't feel claustrophobic  I did add a hyfax and longer rope and that did help with pulling.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I own 2 clams and happy with them both , and i have had frabils , the otters are very well built, but take a look at the shappell fx100,

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #25 on: Sep 23, 2013, 03:21 PM »
I've got a Trekker 2 that I've upgraded several times with a thermal tent as well as some extras here and there The nice thing about it is it has removable seats so I can sit in it alone and have lots of room, and its super lightweight.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #26 on: Sep 24, 2013, 11:30 AM »
I picked up a shappell rover last year used. For the money they are darn nice.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 27, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Check out craigslist right now, go to sporting goods and type ice, several 1 man shantys even a jason mitchell insulated. Loooove craigslist!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 27, 2013, 11:02 PM »
ya some good deals this time of year for sure ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline ranger620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2013, 05:54 PM »
pulled the trigger Friday!i was fishing a friend called he was at scheels in Omaha looking at ice gear. closing out some last year stuff said they had clam Jason Mitchell thermal for 349 so i snagged it! they have 1 new in the box left and the display.any thoughts or mods i should know about thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.