Author Topic: Shack security  (Read 4075 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Shack security
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:13 PM »
As some of you know,my shack was broken into about 10 days ago.now i am sure that after scoring some good loot ,the thiefs will try to get me again next year.Well I hope they do,this time they will have a little suprise waiting for them.Any suggestions?plan on sticking it out there in the parking lot near the landing about a week before i put it on the lake.hopefully they will try it then.here are some of my ideas/plans.

1-door will again have cheap hasp so it will break easily.

2-trail cam in trees to take pics of crooked $%#$

3-alarm system that will trip when door opens.

4-hang tarp 6 inches inside door, covered in something that wont wash off after contact

5-hang about 30 lines with treble hooks tied every 5 inches just inside door

6-rig a pump that will spray fluid{urine} out of door opening when opened

7- potato gun loaded with "crappie" aimed at door,rigged to fire 5 seconds after door opens

any other suggestions?

stumper

bib brother

Re: Shack security
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:27 PM »
when they go in, set it on fire, it would be worth it >:D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:14 PM »
600 volts (or more) connected to the hasp, causing them to loose control of their bladder and rectal functions just before expiring (on camera of course

I like this idea.im thinking electric fencer?

stump

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:17 PM »
cut a big hole in the floor and the ice, cover with carpet they step in they get wet but only if it doesn't get to cold to re freeze  the water in the big hole

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2005, 06:30 AM »
1.) Hire a homeless guy to live in your shack with baseball bat.
2.) get an ADT home security system for your shanty!(might cost extra for the extra wiring on the ice)
3.) wire a car battery up to your hasp and lock with a on/off switch hidden under the shanty. Turn on when leaving and turn off when arriving. Constantly rotate battery everytime you go fishing so cold doesn't drain battery.
4.) Hire Trev.357 to guard your shanty ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2005, 06:41 AM »
try staking a couple of bear traps just inside the door.  There is a special place in hell for those scum who would steal a persons fishing or hunting gear... >:(
Ray

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2005, 07:06 AM »
What ever you do I hope it work's and they pay the price.I kinda like the big hole with carpet over idea.
      Jim

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2005, 07:08 AM »
Dig Extra hole in front of door and windows,,daytime  cover it with piece of plywood,,but at night,,,White Shag...Hiddy ho new crimanimanal head STEP....Throphy step into your shanty....

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2005, 07:13 AM »
Someone was telling me there were people taking the whole shack in my area earlier in the year. It might have been portable that people were leaving though

PIKEGUY

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2005, 07:24 AM »
1.) Hire a homeless guy to live in your shack with baseball bat.

Too Funny :roflmao: lol

Rock Bottom

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2005, 08:28 AM »
One year up un the Red River in winnipeg guys were driving with 2 trucks with chains hooked to there bumper and driving through shacks, cutting the shacks in half. They destroyed countless shacks on the ice, its a good thing noone was overnighting in there shack.

I suggest a 330 connibear trap chained to your shack and laying just inside the door, most grown men would not be able to get this off by themselves and therefore he would be there in the morning...wonder how much you could sell the skin for??

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:34 AM »
a 330 connibear trap chained to your shack and laying just inside the door, most grown men would not be able to get this off by themselves

Another idea i like,i happen to have a couple 330's

stump

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:37 AM »
 Don't leave anything in your shack and don't lock it. They don't have to break in and will find nothing in it. If they want the whole shack they will take it locked or not.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2005, 12:08 PM »
Actually as i have said before,im not worried about what they took,i just want there pic so they can be stopped.If they did it once they will do it again.My part time job is loss prevention so ,yes i would agree leaveing nothing in the shack is the best way not to get ripped off.BUT SHOULD I HAVE TO?I fished that shack close to 50 days this year,it is usually loaded with everything needed to fish,other than my flashers and auger.i figure i will damage or lose at least a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff transporting it back and forth every day so my loss was less this way .The main reason i got hit was cuz i was stupid enough to leave the shack in a lot by the lake that had 0 lighting.the reason i use a cheap hasp is to minimize damage.I would rather repair a hasp than the whole door.And yes this is in fun,BUT I WILL BE  PUTTING IT OUT EARLy AS BAIT!!next year.

stump

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2005, 01:38 PM »
GPS tracking device in with the gear. Get your stuff back and last years stuff too. Jail/fine for dirtbags!!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2005, 01:43 PM »
If you want to catch the jerks then I say the trail cam with inferred cammera would be the best bet.  We here in MN have had alot of problems this season with people taking wheeled shacks.  not just the stuff left the whole shack.  I agree it is fun to think about bad stuff to do I myself have thought about the 33o conibear trap and know how scary they can be.  (had one trip on me in waist deep water catching both thumbs)  talk about a wake up call.  a hidden trail cam would gave the law what they need to nail the Ba55terds.  

Here is a even funner plan.  

set your shack up, and have a place in the shack or a near by shack to hide.  Nothing is more sobering to anyone then the action of a shotgun slamming closed.   ;D ;D

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Stumper- make sure the 30 treble hooks are 4/0 and chemicly sharpened. :o
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2005, 02:31 PM »
 Stumper; I was under the impression the shack was on the ice. Now I find out it was in a parking lot. Now I am MAD!!. Lets get those *****s!!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2005, 08:28 AM »
hook up a large capacitor to the door handle. and have a little hidden switch so you don't take the brunt of it when you want to get in.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Watch the movie Home Alone, and you will get PLENTY of ideas!

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline woodyjdh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!-Certified!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2005, 03:15 PM »
The ideal security system might be a bit on the sick side, but I am almost sure it would work!  Hire a large ex-con who happens to be a horny homosexual, have him stay in your shanty while you are not in it. And when they break in... :o.  And perhaps use a camera like you have been talking about, post the pics on the net! (DEVILISH GRIN)  ;D Not only will the "guard" be happy with the "fresh meat", but the crooks will most likely need medical attention after the fact, just let the hospital know what you are planning, so when one of these guys comes in for "love stitches" they can contact the cops! (Even more DEVILISH GRIN). 
This is all in fun, nothing to be taken seriously.   ;D
Where there's a Woody, there's a way!
I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it!

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2005, 08:07 PM »
NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR SHACK, IF THEY WANT TO GET IN THEY WILL.  THINK ABOUT IT...........ITS DARK,   ITS OUT ON A LAKE,   NOT TO MANY PEOPLE AROUND......ITS DARK...... 

I NEVER REALLY KEEP ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE IN MY SHACK.  GRANTED I HAVE SOME JIGS IN THERE,  SOME DEPTH SOUNDERS,  SOME FIRE WOOD, A WOOD STOVE THAT I MADE FOR $10,  SOME FOOD... THATS ABOUT IT.   I CARRY ALL MY OTHER GEAR W/ ME.   

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL ME AND MY BUDDIES ALL HAD CB'S W/ WHIPS ON OUR TRUCKS ALL PARKED NEXT TO EACH OTHER.  CAME OUT AFTER GRADUATION AND OUR WHIPS HAD BEEN STOLEN(FIRST THING I EVER HAD STOLEN-NEEDLESS TO SAY I WANTED TO KILL SOME ONE)  THEN IN COLLEGE I HAD A BED BOX W/SOME MISC TOOLS  JUMPER CABLES, TIRE IRON, WRECHES(I HAD TAKEN MY FISHING GEAR OUT THAT AFTERNOON,  I ALMOST LEFT IT)  CAME DOWN IN THE MORNING TO GET IN MY TRUCK AND DRIVE TO THE SOUTH CAMPUS AND MY BED BOX HAD BEEN BROKEN INTO  AND MY TOOLS STOLEN,  I WANTED TO KILL SOMEONE, HAD THE POLICE DUST FOR FINGERPRINTS AND EVERYTHING(NEVER FOUND OUT WHO DID IT)  THEN LAST YR AT MY HOUSE (I HAD BOUGHT IT FORCLOSED FROM A REAL SCUMBAG)  ANYWAYS MY DOG WOKE ME UP B/C HE WAS WHINING IN HIS CRATE(FIGURED HE HAD TO PEE.  SO I GOT UP AND I HEARD SOME THUMPING NOISES.  I GRABBED MY 10GA SHOTGUN AND FED SOME 3" SLUGS AND BUCKSHOT IN AND FIGURED IT WAS COMING FROM MY BACK 2ND STORY DECK.  I SNUCK UPSTAIRS AND SAW A GUY TRYING TO GET MY DOOR OPEN(DIDN'T HAVE ANY WINDOWS IN THE DOOR,  BUT THE BATHROOM WINDOW YOU CAN KINDA SEE DOWN.)  SO MADE THE DOG LAY DOWN AND I USED A SCRAP PIECE OF WOOD TO PUSH THE LOCK OFF ON THE DOOR KNOB.  LOW AND BEHOLD THE DOOR POPS OPEN,  THE DOG JUMPS UP BARKING(HE'S ALL BARK AND SOMETIMES BITES)  THE GUY STARTLES BACK AND I STEP UP AND CRAM THE 10GA IN HIS FACE AND LOCK AND LOAD.  HE JUST ABOUT PISSES HIS PANTS AND I START SCREAMING FOR HIM TO LIE DOWN,  MY FIANCE'  CALLED THE SHERIFF AND THEY ARRIVED ABOUT 10MINS LATER.  ALL THE WHILE I HAD THIS GUY LAYED OUT PRONE AND ZIP TIED.  SHERRIFF SHOWS UP AND ASKS' ME IF I SHOT HIM,  I TOLD HIM NOT YET,  HE WAS LUCKY.  TURNS OUT IT WAS THE GUY THAT USED TO OWN THE HOUSE AND WAS TRYING TO GET HIS STUFF BACK(BOUGHT THE HOUSE AS IS,  B/C OF THE BANK FORCLOSURE IT CAME FULLY FURNISHED,  AND STILL HAD ALL OF HIS STUFF IN IT.  WHICH ONCE I BOUGHT IT BECAME MINE)   AND WHAT REALLY PISSED ME OFF IS THAT HE TRIED TO SUE ME B/C I THREATED HIM AND CAUSED HIM BODILY INJURY(HE'S LUCKY I DIDN'T CAUSE HIM DEATH)  IT GOT THROWN OUT OF COURT,  I COUNTERSUED AND TOOK HIS MONEY.

SOMETIMES YOU GET LUCKY AND GET IN THE ACT.  ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT, IT SUCKS TO HAVE YOUR STUFF TAKEN,  YOU JUST DO YOUR BEST TO KEEP THE HONEST PEOPLE OUT AND TRY TO MAKE IT HARDER FOR THE UNHONEST ONES TO GET IN. 

GOOD LUCK

Offline woodyjdh

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!-Certified!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Freshbait is right!  Don't keep anything of value in there, and you won't have much to worry about.  The only "real" prevention we can do is to look out for one another's shack, and keep our eyes and ears open.  Another thing, as good as a deal may sound, whether it be in the paper (classifieds) or a pawn shop for ice fishing equiptment, chances are it could be hot.  I for one will not buy anything used unless I know the party selling it.  This way I figure if there is less demand for these "deals", there will be less need for these crooks to try to make a fast buck.  Just my thoughts.
Where there's a Woody, there's a way!
I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it!

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2005, 05:30 AM »
That really is too bad. I hope you catch them and they get what they deserve. :%$#!:

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2005, 04:19 PM »
next year when we set ours up we plan on leaving it unlocked because we wont have anything in there.  And this way we wont have to worry about a broken door.  But here in Manitoba alot of them get burned down >:( >:(  @$$ holes.  If i ever caught someone vandalizing someones shack they would be sorry.  People put alot of money into there shack and they should not be vandalized.
Team Manitoba

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2005, 04:28 PM »
yeah them guys are right i used to keep stuff in my shack and lock it.  but i too had my things stole once and now i've found its best just to take everything of value out when you leave.  this way if they wanna get in and see what you have they don't have to break the door and usually will just leave.  and if there is an emergency someone can go in and light a fire and warm up if need be.

Offline fishergurl13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2005, 05:58 PM »
Stumper, sorry to hear about your shack getting raided. It's too bad that we can't trust people enough to leave stuff in our shacks. My dad was robbed last year, not a lot of things with value, but it's still a shame. I would say make sure you take your valued items with you. If you want to catch your theif, I think the camera is a great idea. Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you catch that nasty theif! ;)
Fishergurl13

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2005, 12:01 AM »
I don`t want to give away any secrets but there are some good ideas for leathal booby traps in the terrorists hand book just use google to find a free copy.there will be few repeat offenders.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2005, 12:20 AM »
Rig it so your shanty tips over and traps them inside of it when they break inside of it   :D       

Take some really good superglue and glue something that looks valuble down inside the shanty (like an empty camera case, or depthfinder case) and put a camera hidden in here,   while they are trying to pry it up youll get a good look at them.    Sttach the door handle to a battery and give them quite the shock when they try to grab the handle.      A can of mace, or a bug bomb that goes off when they open the door.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.